Ayegbeni in confident mood

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

torontoeagle
Egg
Egg
Ayegbeni in confident mood

Post by torontoeagle »

Nigeria striker Yakubu Ayegbeni is in confident mood as he prepares to head off to the Nations Cup.

Ayegbeni, who plays for English Premiership side Portsmouth, terrorised Manchester City in Saturday's game, scoring two goals in a top notch performance.

He has vowed to repeat this form in Tunisia.

"The Nations Cup is a big, big competition, and I will do my utmost to do well there," he told BBC Sport.

"I am very proud of being Nigerian, and I'm so happy about playing for my country.

I will do my utmost to do well

Yakubu Ayegbeni

"I think if we maintain our focus, we should do very well.

"Our objective has to be to get to the final.

The former Maccabi Haifa striker is well aware that the Super Eagles will be without many of the names that have made them one of Africa's leading sides.

But Ayegbeni says that will not stop them from performing well in Tunisia.

"It is true that we no longer have players like Sunday Oliseh and Finidi George," he said.

"But Nigeria have so many good players so I am not worried."

One Nigerian player who will not be packing his bags for Tunisia is striker Obafemi Martins.

Ayegbeni admits Martins' decision not to play for the Super Eagles at the Nations Cup is a major disappointment.

"He is an extremely good player, so I wish he was coming, as we would be a better team with him," he said.

Ayegbeni's club are seriously short on strikers at the moment, and Portsmouth manager Harry Redknapp says he will attempt to delay the Nigerian's departure until after Portsmouth's game against Jay-Jay Okocha's Bolton on Saturday.

"The gaffer is going to try and speak to the Nigerian FA and it is possible I might stay on.

"I want to stay and play for my team, but my country needs me too," Ayegbeni said
T-Dot
ruff'n'tuff
Egg
Egg

Post by ruff'n'tuff »

I like his confidence.
who no know go know.
Larry Ashagbe

Post by Larry Ashagbe »

Not surprised after scoring 4 goals in a week.
ruff'n'tuff
Egg
Egg

Post by ruff'n'tuff »

Well said Larry.
who no know go know.
Dog Bruno
Egg
Egg

Post by Dog Bruno »

Even though he's not a dream team calibre player in my book, I must confess that I dig his enthusiasm and sence of nationalism...and I hope that lady luck befalls him while on the SE front- he sure will need it (as well as the SE...WHICH GOES WITHOUT SAYING).

Go get 'em SE.
You are Your Own Dog
ruff'n'tuff
Egg
Egg

Post by ruff'n'tuff »

Dog Bruno wrote:Even though he's not a dream team calibre player in my book, I must confess that I dig his enthusiasm and sence of nationalism...and I hope that lady luck befalls him while on the SE front- he sure will need it (as well as the SE...WHICH GOES WITHOUT SAYING).

Go get 'em SE.
amen.
who no know go know.
torontoeagle
Egg
Egg

Post by torontoeagle »

The goals are definitely good for his confidence.....................

Way to go Yaks
T-Dot
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

He's a huslter... a poacher ... with the kind of blue collar ethics we need... those 2 goals he blasted in yesterday were sweet to say the least.
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

both his goals were very noice.
O-Qua Tangin Wann! Die with memories, not dreams.™

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Robbynice

Post by Robbynice »

theYemster wrote:both his goals were very noice.
Damn the way you guys are talking about his goals, it must be really nice. I can't wait for Tuesday to come around so that I can see the EPL highlight show on Foxsportsworld.
Undertaker
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Undertaker »

Yemster, congratulations on the Patriots win on saturday. I am still in pain. I love my Titans so much but i guess this was not our year again! We will be back next year and good luck to the Pats in H-town if they can stop the Colt from scoring on them all day next sunday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I SEE DEAD PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

The Colts are so damn hot right now, it's sickening... I felt bad for Vemiel... he should have rolled the dice with the onside kick cause, everyone knew that they were not going to see the ball again... same mistake as Green Bay... they should have gone on 4th & 1 to wrap up the game with 2mins left, but played it safe and gave the ball back to Donovan... yeah, that was real smart.
Nkume
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Nkume »

YES! the discovered his form, is a good omen. Hopefully he will reproduce in Tunis.
"Our enemies are the political profiteers, the swindlers, the men in high and low places that seek bribes and demand 10 percent; those that seek to keep the country divided permanently so that they can remain in office as ministers or VIPs at least, the tribalists, the nepotists, those that make the country look big for nothing before international circles, those that have corrupted our society and put the Nigerian political calendar back by their words and deeds." - Kaduna Nzeogwu
African Star
Egg
Egg
Ayo, your humble pie is served again

Post by African Star »

Tell me how many bites you had this time

http://www.microprizes.com/mp32.htm :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
VINDAVE
Re: Ayegbeni in confident mood

Post by VINDAVE »

torontoeagle wrote:Nigeria striker Yakubu Ayegbeni is in confident mood as he prepares to head off to the Nations Cup.

Ayegbeni, who plays for English Premiership side Portsmouth, terrorised Manchester City in Saturday's game, scoring two goals in a top notch performance.
It seems people has started ignoring source of their information abi? This is against the CE tradition. We should not post as if we got a direct interview with the player ourselves... we know those reputable names here who can boast of speaking with the players direct. So let be guided.

http://www.thisdayonline.com/sport/20040112spo01.html
PapaK
Egg
Egg

Post by PapaK »

I'm getting so excited at the form of our players and the timing. Damn! what luck! They should just keep this form for the next two months and I can say bring on Cameroon, then Senegal! Time for some sweet revenge
Never enter into a quarrel with an id!ot, lest he drag you down to his level and then beat you up with experience.
MI5
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by MI5 »

I am happy for Yakubu and he should continue to keep it up always and never give up... Well done...
Soldier of Fortune...
torontoeagle
Egg
Egg

Post by torontoeagle »

MI5 wrote:I am happy for Yakubu and he should continue to keep it up always and never give up... Well done...

definitely
T-Dot
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

which one come be gaffer????
Im don dey hang with those british dudes too long. Na coachie we dey call am.
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
torontoeagle
Egg
Egg

Post by torontoeagle »

deanotito wrote:which one come be gaffer????
Im don dey hang with those british dudes too long. Na coachie we dey call am.
Didn't you know that he is now an Englishman ?
T-Dot
torontoeagle
Egg
Egg

Post by torontoeagle »

As per Kickoffnigeria.com .....the battle is still on to release him after the game against bolton.
T-Dot
torontoeagle
Egg
Egg

Post by torontoeagle »

All of a sudden all the Yak bashers have become Yak Shriners................
T-Dot
Eagle Winged

Post by Eagle Winged »

torontoeagle wrote:All of a sudden all the Yak bashers have become Yak Shriners................
And the Martins shriners have Martins become bashers. Coincidence? Most certainly not.