Is it fair?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Robbynice
Is it fair?

Post by Robbynice »

For players that did not take part in the qualifying series not even one game be considered for the tournament proper? :x In fact let me be more specific, why is a player like Babayaro after not playing in the qualifying series still be given the room to call the shots as to when to report to camp? I understand that because you were used to execute the qualifying series doesn’t necessarily mean that you have to go to the tournament proper(because there could be a loss of form or maybe injuries to players used in the qualifying procress) but it doesn’t make sense to have players like Babayaro, Agali, and co. dictate when and how to get to camp after not participating in even one game of the qualifying series.
muzines
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by muzines »

I agree. Baba and Agali especially are useless to us in that team. agali most especially.
Liberalism is a mental disorder.
Conservative: a liberal who has been mugged by reality.
omonoba
Egg
Egg

Post by omonoba »

Babayaro can sometimes be a disruptive influence on team unity so I would prefer to have Melkam and Udeze. But the final decision is CCC's to make and we must respect whatever decision he takes.
So far he has made a few wise decisions. Overriding the NFA's original decision to go to Tunisia early was a good decision as he avoids all the publicity and distractions that would plague the Eagles if we were one of the first teams to land in Tunisia.
The extra 10 or so days in Faro will also give him a chance to integrate the Players from England who are arriving later than the others , play them in the 4-team tournament so there is a chance to develop some real chemistry
Cyber Saint

Post by Cyber Saint »

Robby, your argument doesn't make sense.
A coach should be free to pick and chose any player that will help him win a tournament whether or not the player participated in the qualification series. You execute different phases with different players.

The only thing I'm adamantly against is for a player that didn't care about the team during the qualifying series to come back and start lobbying to be included for the tournament proper, a la Wilson Oruma. And/or for someone who refused an invite during the qualification series to lobby for inclusion when the team finally makes it to the finals, a la Obagol.

Bottom line, it's the coache's discration. If he decides to use any player at any stage of the championship, so be it. It's silly to assume that b'cos you didn't participate in the qualifying series, therefore, you wouldn't have a place in the tornament proper.

Just one of those bizarre logics I hear, on daily basis, in this forum :(
Larry Ashagbe

Post by Larry Ashagbe »

Cyber Saint wrote:Robby, your argument doesn't make sense.
A coach should be free to pick and chose any player that will help him win a tournament whether or not the player participated in the qualification series. You execute different phases with different players.

The only thing I'm adamantly against is for a player that didn't care about the team during the qualifying series to come back and start lobbying to be included for the tournament proper, a la Wilson Oruma. And/or for someone who refused an invite during the qualification series to lobby for inclusion when the team finally makes it to the finals, a la Obagol.

Bottom line, it's the coache's discration. If he decides to use any player at any stage of the championship, so be it. It's silly to assume that b'cos you didn't participate in the qualifying series, therefore, you wouldn't have a place in the tornament proper.

Robby,

What happens on this Forum is totally different from what happens behind closed doors.
Shownoja
Egg
Egg

Post by Shownoja »

I kinda agree with Robbie on this one. Not that I think Baba is not good, but I think the yanga he and Agali are making are uncalled for. If I were them, this will be a time for building bridges not strolling into camp and playing the big man.
To stop trying is to start dying
Larry Ashagbe

Post by Larry Ashagbe »

Cyber Saint wrote:Robby, your argument doesn't make sense.

Thanks for clearing things up.

There are new players emerging all the time, I would have picked Martins if he was interested in playing for Nigeria.

I am sure that most people on this forum would agree even though Martins did not play in the qualifications.
ruff'n'tuff
Egg
Egg

Post by ruff'n'tuff »

I like this topic Robbynice,you are right in every aspect. except CCC and his

crew will have the last say.
who no know go know.
Its a Goal
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Its a Goal »

I mean who is "co" to be included in the squad :P :D.
2 of the finest indigenous coaches Nigeria ever had lost in a space of 4 days. Dear Lord, is this a sign that you are taking away from us what we failed to appreciate? I pray for forgiveness of our sins. I pray for the humility to recognize our wrongs and the humbleness and wisdom to right our ways.

REST IN PEACE COACH STEPHEN KESHI!!! REST IN PEACE COACH AMODU SHAIBU!!!
Naija fan
Egg
Egg

Post by Naija fan »

Robby, it's not fair, but who said life was fair. If Martins had not pulled out of the Nations cup on his own, he would have walked straight into the team. Yet, guys like Uche Kalu and Opabunmi who helped qualify Nigeria get dumped. That's life, I guess.
"It is not who you are that holds you back, it's who you think you are not."
ruff'n'tuff
Egg
Egg

Post by ruff'n'tuff »

Naija fan wrote:Robby, it's not fair, but who said life was fair. If Martins had not pulled out of the Nations cup on his own, he would have walked straight into the team. Yet, guys like Uche Kalu and Opabunmi who helped qualify Nigeria get dumped. That's life, I guess.
Well said Naija fan.
who no know go know.
Robbynice

Post by Robbynice »

Cyber Saint, Ol'boy don't get me wrong. I have been following this game long enough to know that the coaches makes the final decisions on players he wants to use and things of that nature. Honestly I don't have a problem with the likes of Baba and Agali going to the ANC. My problem with them especially with Baba is how he conveniently misses qualifying matches but when the tournament proper comes around he is then heard off lobbying to get on the team. Agali I can understand but Baba's case is too much for me to understand. The same thing happened prior to the WC. One good thing though is unlike the WC it seem like he will show up in camp in shape this time around.
shaq
Egg
Egg

Post by shaq »

Anytime Babayaro's name gets mentioned for camping/tournaments, these kinds of threads pop up.
we didn't hear anything when the FA/coach was running helter skelter to get Obagoal oo.
I wonder... :D :P :roll:
Robbynice

Post by Robbynice »

shaq wrote:Anytime Babayaro's name gets mentioned for camping/tournaments, these kinds of threads pop up.
we didn't hear anything when the FA/coach was running helter skelter to get Obagoal oo.
I wonder... :D :P :roll:
Obviously you don't understand why the thread is up here. Let me put it this way. If I were CCC, I would invite Baba to camp whether he played the qualifying series or not however I will not tolerate him dictating to me when and how he wants to gets to camp. I will be damned to let that happen.
Cyber Saint

Post by Cyber Saint »

Robbynice wrote:Cyber Saint, Ol'boy don't get me wrong. I have been following this game long enough to know that the coaches makes the final decisions on players he wants to use and things of that nature. Honestly I don't have a problem with the likes of Baba and Agali going to the ANC. My problem with them especially with Baba is how he conveniently misses qualifying matches but when the tournament proper comes around he is then heard off lobbying to get on the team. Agali I can understand but Baba's case is too much for me to understand. The same thing happened prior to the WC. One good thing though is unlike the WC it seem like he will show up in camp in shape this time around.

Robby, first of all, I'm not holding brief for Baba. In fact, given a choice, I'd take Udeze over him any time any day.
The crux of my argument is that Baba was never invited. All we heard is, at best, a hear say. If he were officially invited but decides to skip the qualification series (like during the time of Amodu when he refused to play certain matches), then I can agree with you.
But not this time. Right now, it's very difficult to argue against his inclusion b'cos he isn't supposed to join the time uninvited.
In other words, this situation isn't the same thing as the Martins case. Martins simply snubbed us when we needed him the most.
Baba isn't Oruman either. Oruma doesn't care whether he's in the team until a major tournament comes around, then all his paid lobbyists will get to work.

So, IMHO, Baba's invitation is fair.

Feel me??
Last edited by Cyber Saint on Mon Jan 12, 2004 12:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
shaq
Egg
Egg

Post by shaq »

Cyber Saint... I feel you

Baba said, up until friday the 9th (according to Larry), Chelsea was yet to receive his invitation. Who is to blame here?

Robby, se you see what I mean now. Different people have different ways of dealing with the FA. Because some players were the first to report to camp doesn't mean they are more patriotic than the others. They may have their own agenda. E.g., getting a bigger club using the ANC.

If you ask me, Baba has paid his dues, and he deserves better. It's time the inept FA chiefs do likewise. They all get into office thru party politiks or man-know-man anyways.

Enuff said...
Jiggerman21
Egg
Egg

Post by Jiggerman21 »

Baba is better than Udeze any day. We need him and he needs his country. Why the bad bellus?
A stubborn goat can never learn from past mistakes. Nuff said.
anikulapo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anikulapo »

Jiggerman21 wrote:Baba is better than Udeze any day. We need him and he needs his country. Why the bad bellus?

Jigga: With all due respect you are wrong...Udeze is better in every facet than Baba....
shaq
Egg
Egg

Post by shaq »

Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, isn't it? :?
Talk IT
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Talk IT »

True, there might just be a clique within the NFA who don't want Baba to play for naija again because of past events. Robby, you can also look at it as a blessing in disguise. If Baba had not shunned the SE we wouldn't have had Udeze. Only if Finidi and oliseh had done the same thing, we would have had readily capable replacement in the last world cup. There is no structure for grooming capable backup in the SE.
shaq wrote:Cyber Saint... I feel you

Baba said, up until friday the 9th (according to Larry), Chelsea was yet to receive his invitation. Who is to blame here?

Robby, se you see what I mean now. Different people have different ways of dealing with the FA. Because some players were the first to report to camp doesn't mean they are more patriotic than the others. They may have their own agenda. E.g., getting a bigger club using the ANC.

If you ask me, Baba has paid his dues, and he deserves better. It's time the inept FA chiefs do likewise. They all get into office thru party politiks or man-know-man anyways.

Enuff said...
If there were no God, I would not be alive.
And if God is not good, I would have been dead.
Jiggerman21
Egg
Egg

Post by Jiggerman21 »

anikulapo wrote:
Jiggerman21 wrote:Baba is better than Udeze any day. We need him and he needs his country. Why the bad bellus?

Jigga: With all due respect you are wrong...Udeze is better in every facet than Baba....
anikulapo, what have you been smoking? :mrgreen:

who does Udeze play for right now eh?

abeg, take time o.
A stubborn goat can never learn from past mistakes. Nuff said.
Talk IT
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Talk IT »

Should who he plays for matter?
Is that not stereotyping? :D
Jiggerman21 wrote:
anikulapo wrote:

anikulapo, what have you been smoking? :mrgreen:

who does Udeze play for right now eh?

abeg, take time o.
If there were no God, I would not be alive.
And if God is not good, I would have been dead.
Blakes
Egg
Egg

Post by Blakes »

For players that did not take part in the qualifying series not even one game be considered for the tournament proper? In fact let me be more specific, why is a player like Babayaro after not playing in the qualifying series still be given the room to call the shots as to when to report to camp? I understand that because you were used to execute the qualifying series doesn’t necessarily mean that you have to go to the tournament proper(because there could be a loss of form or maybe injuries to players used in the qualifying procress) but it doesn’t make sense to have players like Babayaro, Agali, and co. dictate when and how to get to camp after not participating in even one game of the qualifying series.
There ar more advantages than disadvantages for using this system...
1.opabunmi,Kalu ets are hungrier and are better at handling the African opposition we face during the qualifying phase..
2.Big boys..i.e baba, Agali will not give it thier all and are more prone to lose against lowly african opposition.The bigboys have nothing to prove or fight for when they know they are garuanteed shirts..
3.Allowing the big boys stay with thier euro clubs during qualifying allows them keep a place with thier teams...overall this is better for the Nigerian team...
4.Allowing kalu etc play the qualifying phase is a good way to acess untested players...these players can then form the bench when the bigboys play during the actual tourney...

well i could go on but I think u get the point now...it seems unfair but it has its advantages..
Climb the ladder to succes, escalator style
-Biggie