HOME-BASE-PLAYERS: HOMEBOUND!

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Eaglet
Eaglet
HOME-BASE-PLAYERS: HOMEBOUND!

Post by GUEST »

SOURCE: THE PUNCH

HOMEBOUND! • Home-based players set to leave for home

Obafemi Obadare, Faro, Portugal

Wolverhampton of England defender, Isaac Okoronkwo, was the latest arrival in camp on Sunday amidst tension among players likely to be dropped as the national team coach, Mr. Christian Chukwu, prepares to name his Nations Cup squad on Wednesday.

Our correspondent gathered that the players, mostly home-based, would be homebound as from Tuesday.

Only the goalkeeper, Vincent Enyeama, and the defender, Romanus Orjinta, are likely to survive the weeding after the three-week camping in Faro, Portugal.

Among the home-based players likely to give way to their Europe-based counterparts are Bob Usim, Seyi Olofinjana, Ekene Ezenwa, Oge Ileagu and Sam Okoye.

Otheres are Ishola Shaibu, Ahmed Garba, Uche Ogochukwu and goalkeeper, Sunday Rotimi.

Okoronkwo's arrival coincided with the rest day observed by the team on Sunday as they awaited the arrival of other Premiership big names who seem to have hit form in their last club matches before heading for camp.

Among those being expected as at the time of filing this report are Yakubu Aiyegbeni who scored two goals on Saturday as Portsmouth defeated Manchester City 4-2 and Nwankwo Kanu who scored midweek and had a good match when Arsenal defeated Middlesbrough 4-1 on Saturday.

Team captain, Austin Okocha, who led his club, Bolton Wanderers, to a come-from-behind 4-3 victory over Blackburn Rovers and Celestine Babayaro who scored in Chelsea's 4-0 victory over Leicester are also expected to join the camp together with Joseph Yobo and Victor Agali.

In a friendly match played by the team against a first division Dutch side, Zwolle, Aghahowa lived up to his reputation as the team's hit man when he scored a late winner to give the Super Eagles a 2-1 victory.

Osaze Odemwigie had put the Nigerians ahead just two minutes into the match only for the Dutch to level scores 21 minutes later.
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

...of that home based bunch. Ishola Shuaibu and Bob Usim are good enough to make the squad. Enyeama is not even good enough to be called up to the training camp. .....and Enyimba's outstanding defensive midfielder Onyekachi Okonkwo SHOULD DEFINITELY have been called up. He may be one of Nigeria's best DMs and could have played a key role in Tunisia.
mister dolly

Post by mister dolly »

If Sunday Rotimi and Okoye goes home..that gives the three GK spots automatically to

Enyeama
Ejide
Etafia

I must say this report is consistent with what I've been hearing from the Faro grapevine..

...and by the way I think he meant Seyi Olajengbesi not Olofinjana.. :mrgreen:
MI5
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by MI5 »

Hmm is Seyi Olofinjana a homebased player??? :?: Hmmm
Soldier of Fortune...
MI5
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by MI5 »

MD,

If NFA had any sense of development in their brains i would advice they keep Sam Okoye and Sunday Rotimi and take them to Tunisia for tournament experience, not as part of the team but as outsiders to see what it's like to play in a tournament like this, it will only help them in the future when their time comes. Similar to how they took Ike to Dakar'92 and Tunis'94...

mister dolly wrote:If Sunday Rotimi and Okoye goes home..that gives the three GK spots automatically to

Enyeama
Ejide
Etafia

I must say this report is consistent with what I've been hearing from the Faro grapevine..

Last edited by MI5 on Mon Jan 12, 2004 12:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Soldier of Fortune...
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

MI5 wrote:Hmm is Seyi Olofinjana a homebased player??? :?: Hmmm
The ignoramus was meaning to say Seyi Olajengbesi. Anyway, Olajengbesi has a slight knock, so is unlikely to make the team if picked anyway.
KoC
Egg
Egg

Post by KoC »

It should be Sey Olajengbesi not Olofinjana
. . . all about the players. Total posts: 725 and counting. . .

Blogzilla
KickOff Nigeria

I love Arsenal. Such entertainment!! The kind of soccer we want for the kind of results we hate!!!
---Polly waxes lyrical after Burnley nyansh the ARSE
MI5
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by MI5 »

Thanks ohh na waoo this guys need to be rounded up...
Soldier of Fortune...
Guv007
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Guv007 »

MI5 wrote:MD,

If NFA had any sense of development in their brains i would advice they keep Sam Okoye and Sunday Rotimi and take to Tunisia for tournament experience, not as part of the team but as outsiders to see what it's like to play in a tournament like this, it will only help them in the future when their time comes. Similar to how they took Ike to Dakar'92 and Tunis'94...

mister dolly wrote:If Sunday Rotimi and Okoye goes home..that gives the three GK spots automatically to

Enyeama
Ejide
Etafia

Pls

MI5
That spot is for the girlfriends. :lol:
Guv007
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Guv007 »

If Enyeama is the number 1 choice then that is worrying.
Red Dwarf - Legion

Rimmer: Step up to Red Alert
Kryten: Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb.
Rimmer: There's always some excuse, isn't there?
MI5
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by MI5 »

G007,

Cheii i don forget sha na true you talk ohh just like in previous tournaments we only hear 22 about 22 players but don't know how many girlfriends and concubines are going along for the ride... shame... This guys need exposure and it will only help them in the long run...

Guv007 wrote:

If NFA had any sense of development in their brains i would advice they keep Sam Okoye and Sunday Rotimi and take to Tunisia for tournament experience, not as part of the team but as outsiders to see what it's like to play in a tournament like this, it will only help them in the future when their time comes. Similar to how they took Ike to Dakar'92 and Tunis'94...

Enyeama
Ejide
Etafia

Pls

MI5
That spot is for the girlfriends. :lol:
Soldier of Fortune...
MI5
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by MI5 »

Cheii God help us sha... we go see how prepared dem go bi when D-DAY comes around...
Last edited by MI5 on Mon Jan 12, 2004 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Soldier of Fortune...
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

If NFA had any sense of development in their brains i would advice they keep Sam Okoye and Sunday Rotimi and take them to Tunisia for tournament experience, not as part of the team but as outsiders to see what it's like to play in a tournament like this, it will only help them in the future when their time comes. Similar to how they took Ike to Dakar'92 and Tunis'94...

Enyeama
Ejide
Etafia

(1) In Dakar 92, Ike Shorunmu went as the third choice goalie behind Wilfred Agbonibare and Alloy Agwu. He was not an "outsider."
(2) Are you aware of the fact that Rotimi and Okoye are older than Etafia, Enyeama and Ejide?
(3) In my opinion, if the older Okoye and Rotimi, who have been on the scene for a lot longer than the other three cannot make the team on merit, I fear they may struggle to do so in future.
(4) Given that Rotimi has understudied Shorunmu, Akanji, Egbo and Idah, he has no reason not be the number one now, other than a refusal to improve.
(5) Okoye played in Nigeria 99 along with the likes of Cassilas, Dida and that Arsenal goalie (I've forgotten his name now). Look at how well they are doing. Why has he not progressed too!
(6) The outsiders spots should be reserved for young up and coming keepers like Bassey Akpan and Dele Aiyenugba.
(7) With the likes of Layeni coming through in Europe, I think old timers like Rotimi and OKoye have really had their day.
(8) For me, the NFA can help the likes of Okoye and Rotimi by helping them find European clubs where they will be trained up.
(9) Even if you take a Nigerian goalie to a major tournament, as long as he is going back to the local league, it is a waste of time. The likes of Etafia and Ejide have improved their games by leaving Nigeria.
(10) To add insult to injury, there uisa no proper goalkeeper trainer in the Eagles camp.
MI5
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by MI5 »

Thanks for the proper correction on Ike's appearance in Dakar'92.

You make some revelations here and everything you said here is true based on our goalkeepers and how they don't want to develop. hmm Naija'99 had a lot of players from tournament who we hear about everyday. Players like Diego Forlan, Damian Duff, Robbie Keane, Iker Cassilas, Ashley Cole, Ronaldinho Gaucho, Mike Phelan, Matt Holland and others who are doing very well now...

Yes i like Bassey Akpan and the keeper who kept in Finland don't know his name but this are future keepers to groom and watch for in the years to come..

Very sad indeed on our goalkeeper development programs which has fallen apart for good...

Ayo Akinfe wrote:

Enyeama
Ejide
Etafia

(1) In Dakar 92, Ike Shorunmu went as the third choice goalie behind Wilfred Agbonibare and Alloy Agwu. He was not an "outsider."
(2) Are you aware of the fact that Rotimi and Okoye are older than Etafia, Enyeama and Ejide?
(3) In my opinion, if the older Okoye and Rotimi, who have been on the scene for a lot longer than the other three cannot make the team on merit, I fear they may struggle to do so in future.
(4) Given that Rotimi has understudied Shorunmu, Akanji, Egbo and Idah, he has no reason not be the number one now, other than a refusal to improve.
(5) Okoye played in Nigeria 99 along with the likes of Cassilas, Dida and that Arsenal goalie (I've forgotten his name now). Look at how well they are doing. Why has he not progressed too!
(6) The outsiders spots should be reserved for young up and coming keepers like Bassey Akpan and Dele Aiyenugba.
(7) With the likes of Layeni coming through in Europe, I think old timers like Rotimi and OKoye have really had their day.
(8) For me, the NFA can help the likes of Okoye and Rotimi by helping them find European clubs where they will be trained up.
(9) Even if you take a Nigerian goalie to a major tournament, as long as he is going back to the local league, it is a waste of time. The likes of Etafia and Ejide have improved their games by leaving Nigeria.
(10) To add insult to injury, there uisa no proper goalkeeper trainer in the Eagles camp.
Soldier of Fortune...
Cross
Egg
Egg

Post by Cross »

Was Dida in Nigeria '99?
Gotti

Post by Gotti »

MI5 wrote:hmm Naija'99 had a lot of players from tournament who we hear about everyday. Players like Diego Forlan, Damian Duff, Robbie Keane, Iker Cassilas, Ashley Cole, Ronaldinho Gaucho, Mike Phelan, Matt Holland and others who are doing very well now...
M15:
I am unsure how you judge players, but Nigeria' 99 Flying Eagles' Joseph Yobo, Julius Aghahowa, Pius Ikedia, Gabriel Melkam and even Rabiu Afolabi are also "doing very well now."
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

If true, I am disappointed about Bob Usim but his time will come.
Arsène Wenger at Arsenal, 1996 to 2018. I was there.
Chief Goza
Egg
Egg

Post by Chief Goza »

Waffiman wrote:If true, I am disappointed about Bob Usim but his time will come.
True talk Waffi. I have seen him play several times, and though I feel he's consistently played out of position at left back, he has always acquitted himself well. I think he's one player who will do we at a higher level, but time and confidence level may not be his best friends now, following this disappontment.
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

Chief Goza wrote:
Waffiman wrote:If true, I am disappointed about Bob Usim but his time will come.
True talk Waffi. I have seen him play several times, and though I feel he's consistently played out of position at left back, he has always acquitted himself well. I think he's one player who will do we at a higher level, but time and confidence level may not be his best friends now, following this disappontment.
The boy na real baller. I have no doubt he will play for the SE and get many caps in future. I hope he comes out this disappointment even more determined to prove the coaching crew wrong.
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

Chukwu will always pick his boys wether they are good enough or not.
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

bret- hart wrote:Chukwu will always pick his boys wether they are good enough or not.
He is the coach, let us respect his right to pick who so ever he wishes. You can neva get agreement on a team list but this is why we have a coach, he has to be free to make such decisions, because the buck stops with him. His head is on the line not yours.
olu
Egg
Egg

Post by olu »

Ishola Shaibu has been overlooked several timesfor the Eagles despite the fact that that he has been one of the most consistent midfielders in the local league. He delivers better crosses than Osaze, Ikedia or Utaka.
paj
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: HOME-BASE-PLAYERS: HOMEBOUND!

Post by paj »

GUEST wrote:SOURCE: THE PUNCH

HOMEBOUND! • Home-based players set to leave for home

Obafemi Obadare, Faro, Portugal

Wolverhampton of England defender, Isaac Okoronkwo, was the latest arrival in camp on Sunday amidst tension among players likely to be dropped as the national team coach, Mr. Christian Chukwu, prepares to name his Nations Cup squad on Wednesday.

Our correspondent gathered that the players, mostly home-based, would be homebound as from Tuesday.

Only the goalkeeper, Vincent Enyeama, and the defender, Romanus Orjinta, are likely to survive the weeding after the three-week camping in Faro, Portugal.

Among the home-based players likely to give way to their Europe-based counterparts are Bob Usim, Seyi Olofinjana, Ekene Ezenwa, Oge Ileagu and Sam Okoye.

Otheres are Ishola Shaibu, Ahmed Garba, Uche Ogochukwu and goalkeeper, Sunday Rotimi.

Okoronkwo's arrival coincided with the rest day observed by the team on Sunday as they awaited the arrival of other Premiership big names who seem to have hit form in their last club matches before heading for camp.

Among those being expected as at the time of filing this report are Yakubu Aiyegbeni who scored two goals on Saturday as Portsmouth defeated Manchester City 4-2 and Nwankwo Kanu who scored midweek and had a good match when Arsenal defeated Middlesbrough 4-1 on Saturday.

Team captain, Austin Okocha, who led his club, Bolton Wanderers, to a come-from-behind 4-3 victory over Blackburn Rovers and Celestine Babayaro who scored in Chelsea's 4-0 victory over Leicester are also expected to join the camp together with Joseph Yobo and Victor Agali.

In a friendly match played by the team against a first division Dutch side, Zwolle, Aghahowa lived up to his reputation as the team's hit man when he scored a late winner to give the Super Eagles a 2-1 victory.

Osaze Odemwigie had put the Nigerians ahead just two minutes into the match only for the Dutch to level scores 21 minutes later.
..how aout that Nworgu kid?Abi CCC plans to use Lawal on the Left Flank again? :shock:

Pa
The Brunch Mixtape Project
Available on all major streaming platforms :)