DRC Preparations In Shambles!

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin
DRC Preparations In Shambles!

Post by YUJAM »

I guess we can count the DRC out since at this rate, they won't go too far.. They've always had solid ballers though..

DR Congo struggle in Egypt

Englishman Mick Wadworth is the manager of the side
Financial problems have hampered the DR Congo's preparations for this month's Nations Cup finals in Tunisia.
The Simbas have been training in the Egyptian capital Cairo for the last two weeks.

But a lack of financial support meant that the team was unable to pay for decent hotel accomodation in Cairo or afford the rental costs of training pitches.

Some of the DR Congo players threatened to depart the Cairo camp, which costs $25 per room, because they are unhappy with the poor standard of the accomodation provided.

The lack of funds have also forced the Congolese to abandon their plans for a subsequent training camp in Portugal, following their friendly against Egypt next Wednesday.

The 1974 Nations Cup champions would have been forced to abandon the country but for the intervention of the Egyptian FA (EFA).

Hany Abo Reda, EFA treasurer, said he is making part payment for their accomodation in a five-star hotel because DR Congo officials are expecting a delayed money transfer from home.

The Simbas have played two friendly matches against second division Cairo-based clubs during their stay.

Drawn in group A with Rwanda and hosts Tunisia, DR Congo's opening Nations Cup match will be against Guinea on 25 January at the El Menzah stadium in Tunis.
old_obsession
Egg
Egg

Post by old_obsession »

mark my words congo will cause a few upsets at this anc
furiously frank
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by furiously frank »

Yujam: You should be used to such stories pre-ANC. Some of them are sponsored for sundry reasons. Sometimes to get their home country send money, sometimes as mind games against oppos
"That Justice is a blind goddess
Is a thing to which we blacks are wise.
Her bandage hides two festering sores
That once perhaps were eyes."
Langston Hughes, 1923
Its a Goal
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Its a Goal »

Poor Congo, I guess they will end up being the whipping boy of their group, even to Rwanda :cry:.
2 of the finest indigenous coaches Nigeria ever had lost in a space of 4 days. Dear Lord, is this a sign that you are taking away from us what we failed to appreciate? I pray for forgiveness of our sins. I pray for the humility to recognize our wrongs and the humbleness and wisdom to right our ways.

REST IN PEACE COACH STEPHEN KESHI!!! REST IN PEACE COACH AMODU SHAIBU!!!
omonoba
Egg
Egg

Post by omonoba »

We Nigerians should understand more than others that poor preparations do not necessarily mean a poor performance when the time counts. If Tunisia takes these guys lightly they will be in for a surprise.
The Egyptian FA should be commended for the assistance they gave the DRC team. If only they could be so sporting/gracious on other occasions...
Its a Goal
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Its a Goal »

Omonoba, there are few countries that trive on poor preparation yet succeed, and Nigeria is the champion of that category. Other African countries that have tried that approach have all been left with diverstating consequences.
2 of the finest indigenous coaches Nigeria ever had lost in a space of 4 days. Dear Lord, is this a sign that you are taking away from us what we failed to appreciate? I pray for forgiveness of our sins. I pray for the humility to recognize our wrongs and the humbleness and wisdom to right our ways.

REST IN PEACE COACH STEPHEN KESHI!!! REST IN PEACE COACH AMODU SHAIBU!!!
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

FF:
I hear you but this one looks genuine. I mean, the Egyptian FA had to foot their hotel bill.
Yujam: You should be used to such stories pre-ANC. Some of them are sponsored for sundry reasons. Sometimes to get their home country send money, sometimes as mind games against oppos
Ghana's First President Kwame Nkrumah said: "We face neither East nor West; we face Forward"
charlie
Egg
Egg

Post by charlie »

Money has nothing to do with football, especially when it comes to African football...Since everyone is relatively broke... :wink:

How many times have we heard stories concerning financial issues with the Zambian national side, or Cote d'Ivoire, Cameroon, even plus including Nigeria.

Yet, these team consistently perform well in Africa's premier tournament.

My point is that it is heart that counts, and not budget.

If the DRC play their hearts out, they will go far...maybe not win the tournament, but I wouldnt be suprised if they make the semis.
Kola nut lasts long for those that savor it