NFA stands firm on Kanu, JJ, Yak -- Skysports

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

temitope
Egg
Egg
NFA stands firm on Kanu, JJ, Yak -- Skysports

Post by temitope »

CLUBS HEADING FOR NIGERIA ROW
Tuesday 13th January 2004 http://www.skysports.com/skysports/arti ... 21,00.html

European clubs look set to be heading for another row over the African Cup of Nations, after the Nigerian Football Association attributed them with deliberate attempts to not release their players in time and bring disrespect to the tournament.
Super Eagles chief Christian Chukwu has instructed the NFA to report clubs like Arsenal, Chelsea, Bolton, Portsmouth and Paris Saint Germain to Fifa, after they failed to release players for the two-week call-up period before a major finals.

NFA spokesman Samuel Kaalu accused the clubs in question of "looking down" on the competition, after Kanu, Celestine Babayaro, Yakubu Aiyegbeni, Jay-Jay Okocha and Bartholomew Ogbeche failed to link up with the rest of the squad at their Portuguese training camp on Monday (January 12).

The Premiership clubs in question are attempting to hold onto their stars for their Saturday fixtures on January 17, before releasing their players for the tournament that kicks off in Tunisia on January 24.

Kaalu said: "The foreign clubs are looking down on the Nations Cup and they have pushed us to a point where we have to invoke the Fifa rule.

"They cannot try this with European clubs. The rule says 14 days but today (Monday) is 12 days to the event."

Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger has a striker crisis ahead of his side's clash with Aston Villa and he says he will be seeking to gain permission from Chukwu to have Kanu available.

"Kanu will put me in touch with the Nigeria coach and we will try to sort something out," said Wenger.

"We will have a difficult game at Villa and I hope they will at least allow him to play in this match. Kanu wants to play.

"We need this situation clarified by Wednesday morning at the latest."

The Highbury boss looks set to be disappointed though as Kaalu added that the reason the NFA have adopted their soft-hand approach so far was to not jeopardise the careers of the players in question at their respective clubs.

"The reason we were not confrontational before now was because we do not want to jeopardise the career of these boys playing in these clubs because they are responsible for their salaries and so on.

"But since our attempts to persuade have yielded little fruits, I think we may have to invite Fifa to look into the matter."

Portsmouth boss Harry Redknapp also faces a striker crisis ahead of his side's game against Bolton, where Aiyegbeni and Okocha are expected to feature for Pompey and Wanderers respectively and Aiyegbeni admits he is torn between club and country.

"I want to stay and play for my team but my country needs me too," he said.

Kaalu says Chelsea defender Babayaro had informed the NFA he would only be released by The Blues on Wednesday, but Kaalu says the delay is affecting Chukwu from selecting his squad to travel from Portugal to Tunisia for the tournament, with only 28 of the expected 41 players so far having turned up, and those no-shows risk losing a place in the squad.

"Babayaro called Chukwu to say he'll only be released by his club on Wednesday but Chukwu has bluntly rejected it," added Kaalu.

"Arriving on January 18 will make no sense because Chukwu would have named his team by then and he is insisting no automatic shirt for any player."
Last edited by temitope on Tue Jan 13, 2004 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

Good to see Chukwu and co. standing firm. Thumbs up!
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
VINDAVE

Post by VINDAVE »

I am tired of hear will will will report... they should have done that by now so we know what stance FIFA is taking.

ImageImageImageImageImage
MI5
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by MI5 »

This is garbage news because isn't Kanu in Nigeria right now and JJ has been released by Bolton? cheiii
Soldier of Fortune...
Eagle Winged

Post by Eagle Winged »

MI5 wrote:This is garbage news because isn't Kanu in Nigeria right now and JJ has been released by Bolton? cheiii
I doubt Kanu is in Nigeria.
MI5
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by MI5 »

Hmm Thanks.. There is so much drama off the field and wish i had the power to start this ANC as soon as possible... Next thing you know "Kanu sighted in the North Pole" cheiii

Eagle Winged wrote:
MI5 wrote:This is garbage news because isn't Kanu in Nigeria right now and JJ has been released by Bolton? cheiii
Soldier of Fortune...
Jiggerman21
Egg
Egg

Post by Jiggerman21 »

I'm surprised the FIFA sanction has not been invoked.

Arsene Wenger is an enemy of international football and his disdain for African football is utterly regrettable. Since when did Aston Villa become more important than ANC?

The NFA MUST NOT agree to any compromise as a matter of principle, lest a dangerous trend be set in motion.
A stubborn goat can never learn from past mistakes. Nuff said.
La Reussi
Egg
Egg

Post by La Reussi »

No be their fault, na we dey look for golden fleece for Europe.So we have to accept everything they ram down our throat.

LA Reussi
In all things and every situation, give thanks to God.
calli65
Egg
Egg

Post by calli65 »

La Reussi, well said.
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

Wetin you still dey do for Gotham? You no hear say we need anoda Backman?

You dey fear say Homeland security no go gree you come back in?

Up Naija!!!
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
ikwerreman
Egg
Egg

Post by ikwerreman »

Eagle Winged wrote:

Kanu is in Lagos and was guest on Eko FM i think today
Its a Goal
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Its a Goal »

I beg make Shuku release list jare. I am tired of hearing all this huff and puff and no door blown down.
2 of the finest indigenous coaches Nigeria ever had lost in a space of 4 days. Dear Lord, is this a sign that you are taking away from us what we failed to appreciate? I pray for forgiveness of our sins. I pray for the humility to recognize our wrongs and the humbleness and wisdom to right our ways.

REST IN PEACE COACH STEPHEN KESHI!!! REST IN PEACE COACH AMODU SHAIBU!!!
omey2k4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by omey2k4 »

Kanu is in Ngeria hoing because gals no dey gree follow am for England!
Last edited by omey2k4 on Tue Jan 13, 2004 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.myspace.com/donproductionsbeatz
http://www.soundcloud.com/donproductionsbeatz
www.twitter.com/Donproductions

Listen to my beatz^^^^^
furiously frank
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by furiously frank »

What NFA should do incase they were forced to file the list of 22 with CAF late is to asked the clubs to pick the tab...
"That Justice is a blind goddess
Is a thing to which we blacks are wise.
Her bandage hides two festering sores
That once perhaps were eyes."
Langston Hughes, 1923
Its a Goal
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Its a Goal »

FF, these players' clubs are already questioning the validity of paying their salary, how can you think they will be willing to pick up the tab for submitting the team list late?
2 of the finest indigenous coaches Nigeria ever had lost in a space of 4 days. Dear Lord, is this a sign that you are taking away from us what we failed to appreciate? I pray for forgiveness of our sins. I pray for the humility to recognize our wrongs and the humbleness and wisdom to right our ways.

smallpikin
Egg
Egg

Post by smallpikin »

Why is Babayaro having a problem while Geremi has been released by the same team several days ago? Is it a personal choice on his part or poor pr by the nfa or what? I would have thought Chelsea would given the same treatment to both players. THey are both key players or am I missing something? Could the release clause for internationals even be in their contracts?
"If you aren't keeping the score
you're only practising". Hugh Collum, Finance Director, SmithKline Beecham.
ROSSIKE
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ROSSIKE »

The NFA should have benn FIRM AND INSISTENT RGHT FROM THE GET GO.

There's no point being 'nice' to these BASSTARDS. THEY DON'T APPRECIATE IT, AND TAKE IT AS A SIGN OF WEAKNESS ON OUR PART.

Enough insults on Africa from IGNORAMUSES, FROM PIGS AND FILTHY DOGS like Arsene Wenger and Big Fat (and reportedly smelly) Sam Allardyce.
Imagination is more important than knowledge

- Albert Einstein

furiously frank
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by furiously frank »

smallpikin wrote:Why is Babayaro having a problem while Geremi has been released by the same team several days ago? Is it a personal choice on his part or poor pr by the nfa or what? I would have thought Chelsea would given the same treatment to both players. THey are both key players or am I missing something? Could the release clause for internationals even be in their contracts?
Are U sure of Geremi's status?
Africana
Egg
Egg

Post by Africana »

About Chelsea's release of Geremi and not Babayaro:

Geremi is more valued than Babayaro; yet, he has been released. This goes to show that Cameroon knows how to get what they want, while Nigeria knows only how to make noise.

It is also suggestive of the fact that Babayaro, like Kanu at Arsenal, is eager to please his masters at Chelsea, even when they are not willing to renew his contract. These guys are cheap, IMO.
spastic
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by spastic »

Ikwerreman wetin you dey do wif ma gelfren pishor

Take time o :D
MCTID... We don't play that weak stuff.
Its a Goal
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Its a Goal »

Knowing the things I know, maybe these guys choose not to go camp since nothing of value is taking place.

Blakes
Egg
Egg

Post by Blakes »

Its a Goal,
Knowing the things I know, maybe these guys choose not to go camp since nothing of value is taking place.
then why open camp when nothing of value will take place...This big boy thing going on in Nigerian soccer will not stop soon.Cameroon has left Nigeria behind...
Climb the ladder to succes, escalator style
-Biggie
mouko
Egg
Egg

Post by mouko »

Jiggerman21 wrote:I'm surprised the FIFA sanction has not been invoked.

Arsene Wenger is an enemy of international football and his disdain for African football is utterly regrettable. Since when did Aston Villa become more important than ANC?
The NFA MUST NOT agree to any compromise as a matter of principle, lest a dangerous trend be set in motion.
Jiggerman21,
are u on the moon?. Important to who?. Wenger et al could care less about the ANC. Honestly they don't give a $@#% about it. Never think for one moment that any body sees it as you do. How much do you care for copa America? see...?
If Sex and Money can't do it, Forget About It.
01.06.1955 Ghana 7-0 Nigeria International @Kwabena