Aiyegbeni: Obafemi and I will be defenders’ nightmare

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Bobo Dan
Egg
Egg
Aiyegbeni: Obafemi and I will be defenders’ nightmare

Post by Bobo Dan »

The bite was missing in Eagles attack, Saturday, when they took on the Desert Warriors of Algeria but Portsmouth ace, Yakubu Aiyegbeni, has vowed that his combination with Inter Milan fledgling star, Obafemi Martins, will be a nightmare to defenders in Nigeria’s group.

Aiyegbeni was reacting to speculations running the mill that some members of the squad hatched a coup against the Milan soccer whizz kid by refusing to pass the ball to him, saying it’s mere rumour.

"There was no attempt by anybody to play Obafemi out of the game," Aiyegbeni, who looked disturbed by the question, declared. "How would anybody say such. That would be a callous thing to do.

"We are Nigerians and our goal is to ensure that Nigeria qualify for the 2006 World Cup in Germany. It does not matter who scores the goal, all we want is victory for Nigeria. Even if Obafemi scores 20 goals, he won’t be the only player who will go to Germany. We shall all be there and the glory will be for all Nigerians."

Aiyegbeni, who was accused of being the main culprit, insisted that the players tried to complement each other but luck was not on their side.
"If our efforts had yielded fruit, Aiyegbeni says, the Algerians would have been pounded silly.
Daily Sunsport engaged the returnee Eagle briefly: "Thank God we won the match. It was tough for us. But the bottom line is that we were able to secure the maximum points.
"Generally, we did not play to our optimum level. I will say we played below expectations and the Algerians were lucky.

Tired in the second half and lost several chances? I wasn’t tired. But I must admit that I was not at my best, may be because of the holidays.
Fingered as one of the players who, out of envy, tried to play Obafemi Martins out by denying him ball? That is not true. Nobody tried to play Obafemi out of the game. Why should anybody be envious of him. The only problem I noticed, perhaps, could be that of understanding. We were just playing together with Obafemi for the first time and we have not quite understood each other.
I tried to give him passes but he seemed not to understand me. At times I thought he was trying to be a decoy for me and I went ahead to shoot at goal.

It is not really a problem. By the time we train and play together again, we should get it right. In fact, any team we play against will know that Aiyegbeni–Obafemi pair can’t be toyed with.
Sure, Nigeria will qualify for the World Cup. It is our ambition to go to the World Cup in Germany. And we shall work very hard to achieve that, we shall work for each other to achieve our aim of qualifying for both the Nations Cup and the World Cup."
With that Aiyegbeni quickly rushed away to meet a friend in his hotel room.

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/s ... 04-001.htm
If I can't express my opinion, I have no reason to be part of this union."
Co Adriaanse - AZ Coach

We’re not rated on the Continent,” said Toshack. “British managers are not, coaches are not, players are not. It’s all 4-4-2, hit the front man, get on the second ball. It hasn’t changed. It frustrates me at times, it really does.”
- John Toshack (British Wales Coach viewtopic.php?t=111511 ).

Bobo Dan
Egg
Egg

Post by Bobo Dan »

Nope sir.
Not with what I saw in that match against the Desert fox(es) !
If I can't express my opinion, I have no reason to be part of this union."
Co Adriaanse - AZ Coach

We’re not rated on the Continent,” said Toshack. “British managers are not, coaches are not, players are not. It’s all 4-4-2, hit the front man, get on the second ball. It hasn’t changed. It frustrates me at times, it really does.”
- John Toshack (British Wales Coach viewtopic.php?t=111511 ).

charlie
Egg
Egg

Post by charlie »

It takes time to build a team. Just be patient and give them time....
Kola nut lasts long for those that savor it
VINDAVE

Post by VINDAVE »

Na lie o! from what I can deduce, e be like say YAK don start to deh use style style deh lobby for the striking partner already :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I beg, JAG, OGBECHIE make una nor gri o! make una fight am hard for training and take shirt with the bobo possibly struggle to even put him on the reserve bench :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Obong
Egg
Egg

Post by Obong »

My ideal partnership still remains JAG and Martins.Two proven scorers who never-say-die.
"WE ARE THE SUPER EAGLES!!!"
mastermind
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mastermind »

Ogbeche/martins combo was good
http://www.melangeGO.com/
A family oriented online fashion store. Offering high quality products at low cost.
Dog Bruno
Egg
Egg

Post by Dog Bruno »

VINDAVE wrote:Na lie o! from what I can deduce, e be like say YAK don start to deh use style style deh lobby for the striking partner already :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I beg, JAG, OGBECHIE make una nor gri o! make una fight am hard for training and take shirt with the bobo possibly struggle to even put him on the reserve bench :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

So YAK did not loook good for a change...in that Algeria match?
You are Your Own Dog
felele
Egg
Egg

Post by felele »

Bruno, he did, but he should stop lobbying for he shirt on the pages of newspapers, or that could jeopardise his chances with Chukwu.

Even though he looked good, I think that exactly could be a serious problem. Only HE looked good in the attack, and he did not link up well with Martins. In the end, it wasn't good for the team.

If I were Chukwu, it would be settled in my mind that Ogbeche/Martins is my first choice. Aiyegbeni would be out of it cos he does not come accross as a team player, only as a glory hogger.
Bend it like felele
Orube
Egg
Egg

Post by Orube »

Im sick and tired of hearing these so called pros use vacation/holidays as an excuse for their poor performance.
"If a Jewish guy can walk on water, why can't some Igbo witch doctor fly from Enugu to Onitsha via astral travel, do his business, and return?"
-Obugi
Cristao
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cristao »

ogbeche/martins combo was the best i had seen for a long while

3 goals between them in one match ... when was the last time our strikers gave us that