Martins, NFA, EPL Saga: The Chickens Have Come home 2 Roost!

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

txj
Eaglet
Eaglet
Martins, NFA, EPL Saga: The Chickens Have Come home 2 Roost!

Post by txj »

Just over a week ago I strenously advocated applying the full force of the regulations on invitation of players to the SE on Martins. I insisted that Ogunjobi's position was not based on real reasons and neither was it football related. I was accused of ethnic baiting. Today we have come full circle. The chickens have finally come home to roost. Key Nigerian players in the EPL have now been held back by their respective managers. There is even talk of JJ skipping the ANC on account of personal reasons.
From failing to apply the rules on Martins for a yet-to-be properly explained reason, the NFA and its secretary general, Ogunjobi are totally prostrate as EPL managers like the daft Allardyce, Redknapp and Wenger are walking allover them.
The truth is that once you bend over with these guys, many will ride rough shod over you.
Ijapa
Egg
Egg

Post by Ijapa »

Tru talk
You future depends on your dreams: so go to sleep
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: Martins, NFA, EPL Saga: The Chickens Have Come home 2 Ro

Post by 1naija »

It's only the tribalists on this board that see Ogunjobi as anything but an incompetent administrator. Ogunjobi has single-handedly done more damage to Nigeria soccer than any sports figure I can think of, and yet the "undisputed No. 1 SE fans website" has been silent. We (cybereagles) are a disgrace!
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
Naija fan
Egg
Egg

Post by Naija fan »

txj wrote:Just over a week ago I strenously advocated applying the full force of the regulations on invitation of players to the SE on Martins. I insisted that Ogunjobi's position was not based on real reasons and neither was it football related. I was accused of ethnic baiting. Today we have come full circle. The chickens have finally come home to roost. Key Nigerian players in the EPL have now been held back by their respective managers. There is even talk of JJ skipping the ANC on account of personal reasons.
From failing to apply the rules on Martins for a yet-to-be properly explained reason, the NFA and its secretary general, Ogunjobi are totally prostrate as EPL managers like the daft Allardyce, Redknapp and Wenger are walking allover them.
The truth is that once you bend over with these guys, many will ride rough shod over you.
You are trying to mix apples and oranges. You were clearly ethnic baiting in that post, so don't even try to sanitise it now. Exactly what do you mean by "real" reasons? Maybe if you explained your "real" reasons on this post like you did in the last one, we can all see that you were ethnic baiting.

Now let's separate the apples from the oranges. In the case of Martins, NFA could not force Martins to play for Nigeria and there is nothing FIFA can do about that. It's an issue between NFA and Martins. The best NFA can do is sanction Martins. If Martins had said he wants to play for Nigeria but that his club is stoping him, then NFA would be in it's rights to take it up with FIFA. It does not take a rocket sceintist to figure out that Inter understood this and put pressure on the boy to turn down the invitation instead. That way they escape FIFA sanctions.

In the case of players who have accepted the invitation to play at the ANC but have not reported to camp, the NFA can, and probably should enforce the deadline. On this issue, the NFA has lost some credibility. It's not enough to blame this on the NFA alone. What about our team captain, Okocha, not leading by example. If Okocha had reported to camp within the two week deadline that FIFA allows, it would be difficult for others in the Premier League to stay behind with their clubs. If we are going to crucify Martins for chosing club over country, then what about Okocha and Kanu putting club before country in terms of reporting to camp? If reports are true that Kanu will be playing for Arsenal on Sunday and next Tuesday, how much time does that give him to blend with his SE teamates?
"It is not who you are that holds you back, it's who you think you are not."
Ijapa
Egg
Egg

Post by Ijapa »

1naija wrote:It's only the tribalists on this board that see Ogunjobi as anything but an incompetent administrator. Ogunjobi has single-handedly done more damage to Nigeria soccer than any sports figure I can think of, and yet the "undisputed No. 1 SE fans website" has been silent. We (cybereagles) are a disgrace!
U can speak fro u'rself - this forum is more about football than the politics behind it.

If u have a problem send an application form tot he glass house
You future depends on your dreams: so go to sleep
omotori
Egg
Egg

Post by omotori »

I agree Ogunjobi should throw the book at Martins & Inter.

but if he does'nt, its not necessarily tribalism or incompetence. there may be other reasons for not forcing the issue with FIFA.

One very important reason could be if Ogunjobi senses that Martins himself really does not want to appear. We do not know this for a fact on the board. We can only suspect it. or the converse i.e. that Inter is putting pressure on Martins to stay away. Ogunjobi is much more privy to what Martins really feels than anyone on this board. For one Ogunjobi has personally met with all the parties involved including Martins, Inter & even the Martins family.

JJ's case is clearly different as there is not even a shred of doubt that JJ wants to play for Nigeria. Likewise for the other players.
lagos777
Egg
Egg

Post by lagos777 »

TXJ , Is Ogunjobi pandering to Okocha and Kanu becos they're Yoruba ? Like he has not refused to ban Martins becos he's yoruba ?
Mike Ditka quote :
"I didn't say it in those general terms but I said it like that".
Naija fan
Egg
Egg

Post by Naija fan »

1naija wrote:It's only the tribalists on this board that see Ogunjobi as anything but an incompetent administrator. Ogunjobi has single-handedly done more damage to Nigeria soccer than any sports figure I can think of, and yet the "undisputed No. 1 SE fans website" has been silent. We (cybereagles) are a disgrace!
I don't think anyone has come here to vouch for the competence of Ogunjobi or anyone associated with the NFA. I think you will get universal agreement on this board about the overall incompetence of the NFA as an organization. It's comments like you just made that turns it into a tribal issue.

txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

NAIJA FAN

You need to educate yourself better about the game. Let me show you a quote from World Soccer on the recent FIFA/Tevez case as earlier posted by EnuguII:

Here is WORLD SOCCER (January 2004, p. 51) magazine's report on that:

"Blatter became extremely agitated at the World Youth Cup about the issue of Carlos Tevez from Boca Juniors. Tevez went to court in Buenos Aires to win the right to refuse selection for Argentina so that he could face Milan in the World Club Cup. When Blatter threatened Tevez with suspension for the Youth Cup duration, . . . The player was declared unfit by Boca but included in the Argentina squad to cover formalities."

Note that FIFA clearly denies the player the right to refuse a national invitation. The only exceptions that I know of are (1) player retirement (meaning ineligible for selection), (2) injury which the national FA has independent right to verify, (3) player has dual-nationality and thus retains right of choice, (4) Player not appropriately invited within the specified time, and (5) over-age player's right to refuse invitation to an Olympics game call-up.

Now, none of those three exemptions apply to Obafemi. It seems clear to me that inspite of Inter's agreement to release Obafemi, the player's own refusal to show up can still attract a FIFA sanction. However, the NFA must first make the request for such action to be taken.
Last edited by txj on Wed Jan 14, 2004 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

LAGOS777

Are Okocha and Kanu yoruba?

lagos777 wrote:TXJ , Is Ogunjobi pandering to Okocha and Kanu becos they're Yoruba ? Like he has not refused to ban Martins becos he's yoruba ?
Schillachi
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Schillachi »

txj wrote:Just over a week ago I strenously advocated applying the full force of the regulations on invitation of players to the SE on Martins. I insisted that Ogunjobi's position was not based on real reasons and neither was it football related. I was accused of ethnic baiting. Today we have come full circle. The chickens have finally come home to roost. Key Nigerian players in the EPL have now been held back by their respective managers. There is even talk of JJ skipping the ANC on account of personal reasons.
You are full of sh-it. You should be banned from this forum for trying to insult our intelligence. Who do you think you're dealing with here? Nursery school kids? Stop being a fool and quit trying to tie the Martin saga with the EPL situation. There is no relevance what soever.
NIGERIAN BADBOY!
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

SCHILLACHI
The Martins and the EPL issues come down to the inability or refusal of the NFA and its Sec. Gen to enforce the rules, even when such rules are on their side. If you don't understand that, nobody can help you....
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

Man you have got it wrong. If Ogunjobi and our NFa had stood firm from the outset, we will not be in this position. I hear Utaka is still at Lens, while all the Canerounians are away, I bet Diouf and all his Senegalese brothers are away too, yet we have Yak, Oga, Papi etc all still with their clubs.

The whole thing stinks. :x :x :x :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Arsène Wenger at Arsenal, 1996 to 2018. I was there.
calli65
Egg
Egg

Post by calli65 »

Martin is a traitor, and ogunjobi and NFA are bucnh of tribalistic angel*.
Ogunjobi should be IICC chairman, Oningbinde should be IICC technical manager. Odegbami should be IIcc coach.
Naija fan
Egg
Egg

Post by Naija fan »

txj wrote:NAIJA FAN

You need to educate yourself better about the game. Let me show you a quote from World Soccer on the recent FIFA/Tevez case as earlier posted by EnuguII:

"Blatter became extremely agitated at the World Youth Cup about the issue of Carlos Tevez from Boca Juniors. Tevez went to court in Buenos Aires to win the right to refuse selection for Argentina so that he could face Milan in the World Club Cup. When Blatter threatened Tevez with suspension for the Youth Cup duration, . . . The player was declared unfit by Boca but included in the Argentina squad to cover formalities."

Note that FIFA clearly denies the player the right to refuse a national invitation. The only exceptions that I know of are (1) player retirement (meaning ineligible for selection), (2) injury which the national FA has independent right to verify, (3) player has dual-nationality and thus retains right of choice, (4) Player not appropriately invited within the specified time, and (5) over-age player's right to refuse invitation to an Olympics game call-up.

Now, none of those three exemptions apply to Obafemi. It seems clear to me that inspite of Inter's agreement to release Obafemi, the player's own refusal to show up can still attract a FIFA sanction. However, the NFA must first make the request for such action to be taken.
Good point. I did not know that FIFA can force a player to play for his country. However, when you say:

"I insisted that Ogunjobi's position was not based on real reasons and neither was it football related. I was accused of ethnic baiting."

Why don't you explain to us one more time what the "real" reasons are?
Naija fan
Egg
Egg

Post by Naija fan »

calli65 wrote:Martin is a traitor, and ogunjobi and NFA are bucnh of tribalistic angel*.
Ogunjobi should be IICC chairman, Oningbinde should be IICC technical manager. Odegbami should be IIcc coach.
I guess we now know what your tribal sentiments are.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

NAIJA FAN
I have no idea what is in Ogunjobi's heart, but I can only say that his explanation that you cannot force a player to play for his country is not real.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
Naija fan
Egg
Egg

Post by Naija fan »

I have no idea what is in Ogunjobi's heart, but I can only say that his explanation that you cannot force a player to play for his country is not real.
When you say:

"I insisted that Ogunjobi's position was not based on real reasons and neither was it football related. I was accused of ethnic baiting."

You cannot then come back and say you don't know his heart. Even Okocha will not attempt this kind of dribbling. You know exactly what you said that made people accuse you of ethnic baiting. I find it curious that you are now running away from those comments. Maybe that's actually a good thing.
Bell

Post by Bell »

THE REASONS VARY, BUT...

...there's a common thread in all these defections - NFA caving in. Just what will the NFA get for this in return? Absolutely nothing, if you ask me. Because come next year, these managers would still try to frustrate all friendlies.

What's worse is that the NFA has set a dangerous precedent for coaches all over Europe and for players. I kind of liked the way the Australians and the French reacted when EPL mgrs. tried to withhold their players.

I've always been willing to go to tournaments even with high school kids if that's the highest level discipline could be performed. I believe CAF should also get on the case of Nigeria because the quality of its tournnament is being undermined by half-prepared teams.

txj
Thanks for the FIFA report - apparently FIFA can "force" active players to report for national duty. I'm not sure this right though.
Bell
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

"I insisted that Ogunjobi's position was not based on real reasons and neither was it football related.

NAIJA FAN
If the above quote in your opinion reflects ethnic baiting, then all I can do is refer you to the motto of the United Negro College Fund:

'A mind is a dangerous thing to waste'.....

txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

BELL
The kernel of my arguement as per Martins has always been that it is a dangerous precedence and events have proved me right.
Indeed we can noe expect the very same thing from all other young players in Italy and then more....

ikwerreman
Egg
Egg

Post by ikwerreman »

I never knew that was possible. That means Obafemi should be in trouble, abi?
Naija fan
Egg
Egg

Post by Naija fan »

txj wrote:"I insisted that Ogunjobi's position was not based on real reasons and neither was it football related.

NAIJA FAN
If the above quote in your opinion reflects ethnic baiting, then all I can do is refer you to the motto of the United Negro College Fund:

'A mind is a dangerous thing to waste'.....
You know as well as I do that no one accused you of ethnic baiting based on the comments you just highlighted. I see you are sufficiently ashamed of your ethnic baiting comments to keep running away from it and hiding behind your highlighted comments, which, incidentally, I see you have edited. That's okay, the only person you are dribbling is yourself.

You are absolutely right, "a mind is a dangerous thing to waste."