Confirmed: SuperEagles Official List To Tunisia 2004 ANC!

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Okochafan
Egg
Egg

Post by Okochafan »

While I understand every coach will have his own favorite players it is surprising that players like Ekong, Lawal, Agali, Okoronkwo and Ikedia who are all either not playing for their clubs (in Lawal's case without a club) or are not in good form for their club teams. You would think a coach would select players in good form for their respective clubs but that would of course mean players like Melkam and Oruma would have made the squad.

What I see lacking in this Nigerian team is some bite in midfield. While there are quick and skilled players there where are the type of tough tackling midfielders who could challenge the Senegalese and Cameroonian type midfielders?
KoC
Egg
Egg

Post by KoC »

Just out of curiosity. Can someone recall the last time ANY Super Eagles list by ANY coach AT ALL escaped criticism? And not just about one player, which seems to be the general consensus here . . .
. . . all about the players. Total posts: 725 and counting. . .

Blogzilla
KickOff Nigeria

I love Arsenal. Such entertainment!! The kind of soccer we want for the kind of results we hate!!!
---Polly waxes lyrical after Burnley nyansh the ARSE
sunshinestar
Egg
Egg

Post by sunshinestar »

KOC,this case is totally different.
Shownoja
Egg
Egg

Post by Shownoja »

Sunshine - How is it totally different?
To stop trying is to start dying
Robbynice

Post by Robbynice »

sunshinestar, please answer Shownoja's question. How is it different?
Baii
Egg
Egg

Post by Baii »

In Nigeria, If you chop dem go talk, if you no chop dem go talk.
So why all the fuss about the list?
I don't care at this moment, let the games begin o jare!!!
“A fanatic is one who entrenches himself in invincible ignorance.”

― OSWALD CHAMBERS, Baffled to Fight Better
General Trousers
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by General Trousers »

GT reporting from Nigeria ... where is George Oti, he owes me some whey protien ...
KoC
Egg
Egg

Post by KoC »

Am still waiting for that first stone. Or could it be that there has been none "without sin"?
. . . all about the players. Total posts: 725 and counting. . .

Blogzilla
KickOff Nigeria

I love Arsenal. Such entertainment!! The kind of soccer we want for the kind of results we hate!!!
---Polly waxes lyrical after Burnley nyansh the ARSE
Gadfly
Egg
Egg

Post by Gadfly »

KOC & EII,

A question for you guys since you have noses right in on what goes on in Naija soccer circles. Ekong and Lawal inclusions, is it a political move akin to affirmative action? Lawal represent the North and Ekong the Southeast. To attract and develop the game in these areas, a "token" representative need to be in the Eagles. You know how naija dey work. No bi so? Your thoughts?
Bell

Post by Bell »

KICKOFF CHIEF

I did challenge all the whiners to paste their list on this site and let's see if there's a concensus. It shouldn't surprise you to know that there've been no takers.
Bell
Bell

Post by Bell »

WAFFIMAN

Not too long ago, Amodu said he would give the NFA credit for one thing: they didn't interfere in team/squad selection. They simply asked him to win. But again things may have changed under C3.
Bell
Yettycom
Egg
Egg

Post by Yettycom »

Now to ekong which i still can believe made the team ahead of Obodo. i've read some comments that said that maybe it was camp play or whatever.

well if selection was based on that, then i guess Okocha, kanu and the rest would not be in the team.

let's look at some examples.
1. England - Just b4 the world cup, David Beckham was smoking, country and club. Champions league 2002 s/final against leverkusen, his foot was broken. they took good care of him, reduced his training so he wouldn't get too stressed but he made the world cup team. Why?
2. Italy - can someone tell me what Alexander Del-piero was doing in Euro 2000 and France 98? i'm sure if he was from Colombia, he would have been shot.

the fact is that if these guys have half a leg, they would still make the team. Why is because they were "vital and useful one way or the other to the structure of the team".

now we have a player like Obodo and Ekong gets chosen. hmmmmm i wonder. :shock:
God is good to me and all who love and follow him.. Amazingly, he's also loving to all those who dont know him. What a mighty God he is!
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

WAFFLMAN
Enough of this NFA team list conspircy crap! That list belongs to CCC, PERIOD! I said to anyone who cared to listen when the 42 man squad was announced that Ekong and Lawal would make the final cut. What is more, Ekong will start, and probably Lawal too!
And as always, CCC will live and die by his choices.
The rest is for us armchair critics/fans to vent our spleen. Its our right, its the nature of the game.....
Waffiman wrote:MD, why have you not criticised those who took CCC's right to pick his squad away from him?
PC
Egg
Egg
Re: Confirmed: SuperEagles Official List To Tunisia 2004 ANC

Post by PC »

My first impressions of the squad are generally positive. I just have time to hit the bullet points so here goes...

Goalkeepers
  • No surprises there.
Defence
  • The absence of Taribo West gives the impression of a lightweight defence. God forbid we incur further injuries!
  • I personally would have liked to see Bob Usim included but otherwise, there are no major gripes.
Midfield
  • I'm surprised Ekong made it, that's for sure.
  • But it really isn't that bad. In fact it's the opposite since I expected the remaining midfielders to make the cut.
Attack
  • We all saw that coming didn't we? :wink:
  • And as I've said before, Agali should count his blessings.
Overall
  • It's not much different to what most of us expected.
  • Chukwu is familiar with all but two players (Babayaro & Agali) so at least he knows what he's working with.
  • My only grievance is that we don't have our full squad available at the moment because Ogunjobi wants "peace to reign". :roll:
Last edited by PC on Thu Jan 15, 2004 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

KOC
That is not the issue!
However, as I have often said, a coach will live and die by his decisions. So will CCC.

KickOff Chief wrote:Am still waiting for that first stone. Or could it be that there has been none "without sin"?
quickie
Egg
Egg
Re: Confirmed: SuperEagles Official List To Tunisia 2004 ANC

Post by quickie »

PC wrote:My first impressions of the squad are generally positive. I just have time to hit the bullet points so here goes...

Goalkeepers
  • No surprises there.
Defence
  • The absence of Taribo West gives the impression of a lightweight defence. God forbid we incur further injuries!
  • I personally would have liked to see Bob Usim included but otherwise, there are no major gripes.
Midfield
  • I'm surprised Ekong made it, that's for sure.
  • But it really isn't that bad. In fact it's the opposite since I expected the remaining midfielders to make the cut.
Attack
  • We all saw that coming didn't we? :wink:
  • And as I've said before, Agali should count his blessings.
Overall
  • It's not much different to what most of us expected.
  • Chukwu is familiar with all but two players (Babayaro & Agali) so at least he knows what he's working with.
  • My only grievance is that we don't have our full squad available at the moment because Ogunjobi wants "peace to reign". :roll:

PC,

Nuff respect....I agree with you. No matter who the coaches chose, there would have been complaints. If they gave the selection job to CE, there would have been mayhem. No list would have been perfect for all.

Can anyone remember any Nations cup/World cup selection that wasn't controversial?

If these guys chosen apply themselves properly, we might spring one or two surprises....one of the very few Nations cup I can remember that we weren't expected to get to the finals. U never know and no one will know coz.....this is Eagles we're talking about. It's when the game starts that we know what to expect. Fingers crossed.

Q
VINDAVE

Post by VINDAVE »

Cellular wrote:Way dem... all those pipul way I tell say come rain, hamattan, 1'Oclock Maidugiri Sun that Ekong will be on di list...

Way dem...

Anyway, I happy say my boys Seyi, Osaze, Ekwueme minus Ishola are going...

Up Naija!!
u did said it.... and the inclusion fo Lawal too was not a surprise.
Guv007
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Guv007 »

The undeserving who made the list............
Goalkeepers
=======
Ejide
Enyeama
Etafia

Defenders
========
Babayaro
Udeze
Yobo
Enakhire
Orjinta
Abbey George
Okoronkwo

Midfielders
=======
Ikedia
Osaze
Okocha
Olofinjana
Lawal
Ikpe Ekong

Ekwueme

Forwards
=======
Aghahowa
Utaka
Aiyegbeni
Agali
Kanu
bobbye
Egg
Egg

Post by bobbye »

It amazing how our local coaches always fall in love with clubless and non performing old players. In case of Amodu Victor Ikpeba who could not even get of the chair throughout the 2002 ANC tournament, likewise Pa Oni
with Adepeju did nothing during 2002 world cup matches. Christain Chukwu could not learn a lession with these two fellows.. Our leaders could never learn from the past. They always repeat this same mistake and achieve this same result TOTAL FAILURE. It is unbelieveable that Chukwu will chose Ekong and Lawal over Obodo Melkam Uche kalu and Wilson Oruma. As he has made his bed so shall he lie on it.
anointed
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anointed »

MYMIND wrote:
anointed wrote:The team list confirms that there was little or no need for Faro.

We need to investigate the relationship btw CCC and Ekong.
em were you in camp to klnow that Obodo performede better than Obodo? Oya stop dropping sour grapes. Let's move on :x

I wasn't so was JJ, Kanu, Cele, Agali ...

Don't be naive.
TOUCH NOT MY ANOINTED...
For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding...hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe