Enough is Enough

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

Enugu II wrote:
txj wrote:EII
I believe that the playmaker in that game was Kanu. We had two central midfielders, Seyi and Obodo. The confusion surrounding Obodo, I believe often results from the fact that he is both a defensive and a creative player.

If the playmaker was Kanu, was CCC then using the 4-4-2?

TX, you know both of us watched that game together and Kanu played even far more forward than he usually does. The formation was a 4-4-2 and Kanu & Aiyegbeni were the forwards and JJ was to be the attacjking midfielder but because of admin problems Obodo was started as the attacking midfielder and not a DM. That is exactly how Obodo was also used in the LG Cup when JJ was also not available.

The fact is no one denies the fact that Obodo is a very good DM at Perugia but the debate is whether he has largely played as DM in the SE or not. The truth is that he has not. He has been used by CCC (whether good or bad) as the attacking MF in the absence of JJ. Furthermore, CCC even played the guy as a forward in a game!
E2, let me get your position: ... the omission of Obodo is of little consequence because Chukwu was not going to utilize him properly, i.e., as a DM as opposed to subbing in for jj (osaze's apparent role). If your position holds true, then C3 has zero business being the coach in the first place... A guy, Obodo, who has excelled as a DM in Serie A against the best players in the world, is not good enough to unseat a china based journey man who couldn't cut it in serie C... E2, that doesn't make sense to me.
Enugu II

Post by Enugu II »

green4life wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
I believe that the playmaker in that game was Kanu. We had two central midfielders, Seyi and Obodo. The confusion surrounding Obodo, I believe often results from the fact that he is both a defensive and a creative player.

If the playmaker was Kanu, was CCC then using the 4-4-2?

TX, you know both of us watched that game together and Kanu played even far more forward than he usually does. The formation was a 4-4-2 and Kanu & Aiyegbeni were the forwards and JJ was to be the attacjking midfielder but because of admin problems Obodo was started as the attacking midfielder and not a DM. That is exactly how Obodo was also used in the LG Cup when JJ was also not available.

The fact is no one denies the fact that Obodo is a very good DM at Perugia but the debate is whether he has largely played as DM in the SE or not. The truth is that he has not. He has been used by CCC (whether good or bad) as the attacking MF in the absence of JJ. Furthermore, CCC even played the guy as a forward in a game!
E2, let me get your position: ... the omission of Obodo is of little consequence because Chukwu was not going to utilize him properly, i.e., as a DM as opposed to subbing in for jj (osaze's apparent role). If your position holds true, then C3 has zero business being the coach in the first place... A guy, Obodo, who has excelled as a DM in Serie A against the best players in the world, is not good enough to unseat a china based journey man who couldn't cut it in serie C... E2, that doesn't make sense to me.

G4L:

While we have seen Obodo play DM at Perugia, the fact remains that CCC did not use him as DM in the SE. TWO DIFFERENT CASES, I must say. Btw, this does not only apply to Obodo. CCC continues to use Utaka as a RMF when the guy says his best position is as a forward. In essence, to judge Obodo in the SE must be limited to the positions which he has played at the SE. That means as an attacking midfielder which puts him in direct contest with the likes of Osaze and JJ.

Thus, my point is if you have not used Obodo as DM in the SE how can we argue that he is position was taken by Ikpe? That does not seem logical to me. It is like arguing that Utaka's position on the team denied some other Nigerian striker of a place. Utaka does not play in a striking position for the SE. I hope you understand my take?

Some have retorted by insisting that Obodo played DM in the Malawi game (4-1h). But G4L, I ask, if that is so that is INFACT THE FIRST PUBLIC ADMISSION that CCC indeed has employed a 2 DM set because Olofinjana was a DM in that game. Who was then the midfielder? Txj says that it must be Kanu. YUJAM refuses to answer! :lol: If this is true then I must regard it as a monumental revelation because that will rubbish all the abuse that the man has taken on this site for not using a 2 DM set. Furthermore, it is also a revelation that CCC used a formation different from the 4-4-2 (Since Aiyegbeni was then the only forward) that we claim he only knows. Hopefully, the logic is clear.

The options, I submit, is accept that Obodo was not a DM in the SE and retain the claim that CCC does not use a 2 DM set. Alternatively, argue that Obodo has played DM for the SE and then invariably ACCEPT that CCC does indeed use a 2 DM set. Pick one.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

EII
I agree that for reasons best known to him, CCC uses and defines Obodo as an attacking midfielder and therefore in direct competition with JJ. So when he used him alongside Seyi, he was infact not being played as a second DM.
But overall, my point on this thread is that from what I understand of CCC, Ekong will start in the DM position and as the only DM.
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
Enugu II

Post by Enugu II »

I agree that for reasons best known to him, CCC uses and defines Obodo as an attacking midfielder and therefore in direct competition with JJ. So when he used him alongside Seyi, he was infact not being played as a second DM.
But overall, my point on this thread is that from what I understand of CCC, Ekong will start in the DM position and as the only DM.

Txj:

I agree entirely that Ekong is likely to start even though we know the guy has not been very good in the SE shirt. For some reason, CCC prefers the guy. I believe he was the starter in the Brazil game instead of Olofinjana. Maybe CCC still sees Olofinjana as a Kwara United player (ofcourse that is where CCC had found the guy for a first cap) and ofcourse Ikpe as the almighty foreign pro. I don't know what the deal is, frankly. Hopefully, Olofinjana will get the nod over Ekong in Tunis but that is only a hope.
Last edited by Enugu II on Sat Jan 17, 2004 4:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Upbendel
Egg
Egg
Re: Enough is Enough

Post by Upbendel »

chief nfachairman wrote:I have watched you guys talk and run down Mr.Ikpe Ekong. Some have said he is junk, some have said he does not deserve to be in teh team because he plays in China, some have said he pays the coaches, some have even said he has Godfathers ala Chris Uba in the NFA. GUys, let me be honest with you, based on teh country he is playing in, I would not pick him for my team, but this guy has something more than just the country he is playing in. He did not go to China because he wasnt good enough for Europe. Guys ekong was captain of Regianna before he left for China. HE went to China for teh big money he was offered. In china, Ekong is the best player . he is teh most well known name in China, even with players like Kwame Ayew in his team, Paraguays main striker(can't remember his name) in teh chinese league, well known brazillian players in teh league, Alex Nyarko was in Ekongs team, but still he stood head above the rest of them.

Ekong has never ever bribed nobody. NEVER!!! Do you know he was dropped from a major tournament in 2002 bcos he refused to tender? He was dropped from Amodu's ANC team at the airport bcos Oliseh influenced Amodu and said Ekong did not help out in teh qualifiers. For thoose that believe in christainity, Ekong is a born again christain. A devoted christain. He is now teh team pastor following teh departure of West.Talk to this guy and all he would talk to you about is the bible. HE believes God time is best. He has made this team strictly on merit. Ask anyone in the team of how Ekong performs and they say teh same thing, great, na man, he is a hustler, most hardworking midfelder in teh team etc. When i told him today that a list came out and his name was not there, he said got time is best, maybe God has a reason for everything. Less than 5 mins after that, teh team manager came to congratulate him and howed him teh list with his team number.

By the way, those saying he needs a contract should sharap. He has a juicier contract this year in China nad he would never dream of getting such in germany, france etc except maybe England and Italy.

At this point, I now consitute the Ekong Shrining Enterprise (E.S.E).
eh!!!
"God will give us the victory, but we must be willing to fight"!
Kneedeep
Egg
Egg

Post by Kneedeep »

Chief Nfachairman, while I am not having sleepless nights over Ekong's inclusion, perhaps if you put toghether some clips of his highlights in China perhaps you might convince people about your client
Advocating rational thought since 1987
Yettycom
Egg
Egg

Post by Yettycom »

ADMINISTRATORS please delete this thread or at least the earlier part. the focus was lost. i could hardly read anything, with all the improvised swear words flying around. :(
God is good to me and all who love and follow him.. Amazingly, he's also loving to all those who dont know him. What a mighty God he is!
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

E2, hopefully C3 knows what he is doing by not only droping Obodo but also, as you say, preferring Ekong over Olofi... Perhaps, both Ekong and C3 will prove my fears to be baseless but, I'm not holding my breath that that will happen. I just hope... hope that this Ekong character will not kill us in Tunisia... who knows, perhaps he has improved from all that playing time he's been getting from dominating the chinese folks. :lol:
Enugu II

Post by Enugu II »

green4life wrote:E2, hopefully C3 knows what he is doing by not only droping Obodo but also, as you say, preferring Ekong over Olofi... Perhaps, both Ekong and C3 will prove my fears to be baseless but, I'm not holding my breath that that will happen. I just hope... hope that this Ekong character will not kill us in Tunisia... who knows, perhaps he has improved from all that playing time he's been getting from dominating the chinese folks. :lol:

G4L:

In my opinion, Olofinjana is better than Ekong but I am not the coach.