Break down of Eagles Squad

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

omonoba
Egg
Egg
Break down of Eagles Squad

Post by omonoba »

Defenders
========
Babayaro
Udeze
Yobo
Enakhire
Orjinta
Abbey George
Okoronkwo

This has to be one of the least-experienced defences nigeria will be taking to a major competition. We will really miss the leadership qualities of West in the center of defence. Neither Okoronkwo or Yobo provide this and with inexperienced goalkeepers behind them, that organization/leadership can't be expected to come from the goalie. The Right full back position really has me worried. With West's absence it's most likely that Yobo will be playing in the center. This leaves Abbey and Enarkahire to cover that position. Unfortunately , due to the personnel that will be manning the right midfield position in CCC's squad (ikedia, utaka, osaze?) the right full back cannot expect adequate defensive protection from the right midfield. In the past ,with a Player like Finidi who was very intelligent and aware of his defensive responsibilities, our right full backs had very good protection. However, at a time when such protection will not be given, we are fielding rookie right full backs. Neither Abbey or enarkahire has inspired a lot of confidence in their defensive abilities in the friendly matches they've played for Nigeria this year. Let's hope they can step up and improve fast or we will be in trouble. A big question mark remains over the match-fitness of Okoronkwo. Sadly the only other option is a very inexperienced Orjinta.
Let's just say the Defence really has me worried.

Midfield
Midfielders
=======
Ikedia
Osaze
Okocha
Olofinjana
Lawal
Ikpe Ekong
Ekwueme

At a time when we are likely to be taking our weakest defence line in recent years to the ANC, the midfield is very lightweight in the defensive department. Ikpe Ekong has not really been able to perform his defensive midfield duties well till now and,with the absence of Obodo , it looks like most of the burden will fall on the inexperienced shoulders of Olofinjana, who will be making his debut at the ANC. This could be a recipe for disaster. The inclusion of Garba Lawal helps to correct this imbalance a little as he will bring commitment, a high work-rate to that midfield. However lawal will most likely be deployed on the left side of midfield leaving the Center exposed with only Olofinjana able to provide decent protection to the backline.
On the creative side of things with the likes of Okocha, Ikedia, Osaze, Kanu and even Olofinjana all able to create intelligently from the middle of the park, there is nothing to worry about.
PaJimoh

Post by PaJimoh »

The saying "Best form of defence is attack" comes to mind :idea: :idea:
Enugu II
Re: Break down of Eagles Squad

Post by Enugu II »

omonoba wrote:
Defenders
========
Babayaro
Udeze
Yobo
Enakhire
Orjinta
Abbey George
Okoronkwo

This has to be one of the least-experienced defences nigeria will be taking to a major competition. We will really miss the leadership qualities of West in the center of defence. Neither Okoronkwo or Yobo provide this and with inexperienced goalkeepers behind them, that organization/leadership can't be expected to come from the goalie. The Right full back position really has me worried. With West's absence it's most likely that Yobo will be playing in the center. This leaves Abbey and Enarkahire to cover that position. Unfortunately , due to the personnel that will be manning the right midfield position in CCC's squad (ikedia, utaka, osaze?) the right full back cannot expect adequate defensive protection from the right midfield. In the past ,with a Player like Finidi who was very intelligent and aware of his defensive responsibilities, our right full backs had very good protection. However, at a time when such protection will not be given, we are fielding rookie right full backs. Neither Abbey or enarkahire has inspired a lot of confidence in their defensive abilities in the friendly matches they've played for Nigeria this year. Let's hope they can step up and improve fast or we will be in trouble. A big question mark remains over the match-fitness of Okoronkwo. Sadly the only other option is a very inexperienced Orjinta.
Let's just say the Defence really has me worried.

Midfield
Midfielders
=======
Ikedia
Osaze
Okocha
Olofinjana
Lawal
Ikpe Ekong
Ekwueme

At a time when we are likely to be taking our weakest defence line in recent years to the ANC, the midfield is very lightweight in the defensive department. Ikpe Ekong has not really been able to perform his defensive midfield duties well till now and,with the absence of Obodo , it looks like most of the burden will fall on the inexperienced shoulders of Olofinjana, who will be making his debut at the ANC. This could be a recipe for disaster. The inclusion of Garba Lawal helps to correct this imbalance a little as he will bring commitment, a high work-rate to that midfield. However lawal will most likely be deployed on the left side of midfield leaving the Center exposed with only Olofinjana able to provide decent protection to the backline.
On the creative side of things with the likes of Okocha, Ikedia, Osaze, Kanu and even Olofinjana all able to create intelligently from the middle of the park, there is nothing to worry about.

Omonoba:

One huge misconcept on this site is that Obodo plays DMN for the SE. He has not played in that position. Let us not mix up what he plays at Perugia with how he has been used at the SE. Obodo has been used as an attacking MF with the SE if my recollection serves me right.
leftee
Egg
Egg

Post by leftee »

Shame on Chukwu!
"If You Need a Helping Hand, You'll Find One at the End of Your Arm"
Gotti

Post by Gotti »

EII:
Furthermore, as much as I like Obodo's POTENTIAL, his tackling at Perugia was often the stuff of horrors.

OMONOBA:
Good analysis (although I disagree that Utaka is unaware of his defesive responsibilities). It is one ofthe more intelligent contributions to the forum.
omonoba
Egg
Egg

Post by omonoba »

Guys, point taken re: Obodo. I realize CCC has not used him in the defensive/holding role in midfield in the friendly matches/ANC qualifying games but i was hoping that would be the case this time as he does that for his club
theDunamis
Egg
Egg

Post by theDunamis »

Omonoba,

Nice one! Unlike most of the nitpicking that has been going on in this forum as regards the team list, your post really brings some much-needed fresh air, and is the stuff this whole forum used to be made of.
theDunamis is signed, sealed, DELIVERED!
so__so_scandalous
Egg
Egg

Post by so__so_scandalous »

you're right omonoba .Taribo's exit may have been a fatal blow
Talk IT
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Break down of Eagles Squad

Post by Talk IT »

Omo
You're yarning opak.
How can you say this is the least experience defense we have taken to the nations cup. Yobo, Udeze and Okoronkwo have been to the ANC before with Udeze making the ANC all start team. They have even been to the world cup. In the last nations cup this was the first time these players were playing in the tourney so how can this ANC be the least experienced? No disrespect to Taribo but he was in the WC, what did he do. I rate Yobo better than Ribo right now.
omonoba wrote:
Defenders
========
Babayaro
Udeze
Yobo
Enakhire
Orjinta
Abbey George
Okoronkwo

This has to be one of the least-experienced defences nigeria will be taking to a major competition. We will really miss the leadership qualities of West in the center of defence. Neither Okoronkwo or Yobo provide this and with inexperienced goalkeepers behind them, that organization/leadership can't be expected to come from the goalie.
If there were no God, I would not be alive.
And if God is not good, I would have been dead.
Obong
Egg
Egg

Post by Obong »

Abbey-Started well for Nigeria in the LG Cup and the Malawi game in Nigeria.Bona fide right back Chukwu has been missing.
Enarkhaire-Played several friendlies and qualifiers.Can doubly play at right back and Central defence.Had a good camp in Faro.
Udeze-No brainer.
Babayaro-Same.No need for details.
Yobo-No questions.
Okoronkwo-status at Wolves raises eyebrows,but Eagles pedigree undoubted.

-Orjinta-Captain of Enyimba and the home based Eagles.Hard defender who has played many matches under Chukwu.
"WE ARE THE SUPER EAGLES!!!"
waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

Talk IT and Itatex are right. This is one of the best defences we are taking to a major tourney.
Massive experience, good quality. Defeintely better than WC 2002 when people like sodje and Ejiofor were there. The heart. One player, Babayaro is at his 3rd ANC, has played in two WC's and top level in Europe for the best part of a decade. And, oh, he's scored in an Olympic final and captained Nigeria at another.
Yobo and Okoronkwo kept Michael Owen quiet and are both, along with Udeze, at their 2nd ANC.
Inexperience can only beattributed to Abbey, Orjinta and Enakhire, and at worst, one of those will start. Orjinta has captained Nigeria, and Enakhire has played at the highest levels. Not a siingle one of them is winning his first cap.
-------------------------------------------
MY NAME IS WAKA-MAN, and YES, I AM A CHELSEA FAN. Please don't hate me - I was fan when David Ellery dashed Cantona two penalties as Man U beat us 4-0 in the FA Cup final. So I've paid my dues.
platinum
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by platinum »

Like i said in earlier posts. There is only one option for the eagles,attack all the way. That said,even great attacking sides like RealMadrid or Brazil have had to put in sound defensive performances when the occasion demands.
Yes,the defense is inexperienced but the potential is enormous.
Evans Bipi, had declared to the press, “Why must [Governor Amaechi] be insulting my mother, my Jesus Christ on earth?”
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by GUEST »

BOB USIM-THE KOLO-TOURE OF NIGERIAN FOOTBALL AT THE RIGHTBACK would have made my day. He can play ANYWHERE AT THE BACK PLUS A DEFENSIVE MIDFIELD POSITION.
DIMKA76
Egg
Egg

Post by DIMKA76 »

Yes platinum i've thought about this myself, we just have to outscore our opponents, we should take no prisoners. We need to be very clinical in attack while hoping our defence is not too porus.
WE ARE ALL TOGETHER!!
peppersoup
Egg
Egg

Post by peppersoup »

Who played in the defense for Nigeria against Senegal after the WC2002? I know most of the players were home based and were able to hold Senegal 2-2 draw. Actually Senegal had to come from behind with their array of stars to hold them to a 2-2 draw. The team may not be as bad as we think. I guess we judging the players mostly especially Enakhire and orjinta by the 0-3 loss to Brazil in Lagos.
"His Excellency President for Life, Field Marshal Al Hadji Doctor Idi Amin, VC, DSO, MC, Lord of All the Beasts of the Earth and Fishes of the Sea, and Conqueror of the British Empire in Africa in General and Uganda in Particular."