CCC's Team List - My thoughts

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

azuka
CCC's Team List - My thoughts

Post by azuka »

Finally CCC, has finally released the official list of players to represent us at the ANC, i must say i am not too surprised though. I want to look at the list from the following perspectives: those included, those omitted and matters arising:

A. Those Included: Some on those are as sure of night and day to make the list. So i wont bother with those. However i am going to raise a crucial issue on these guys under matters arising:

1. Romanus Orjinta - It is very understandable given the fact that Taribo West is down with injury. If i may ask, how serious is that injury? I am not present in Faro, but if i were the coach i would have chosen Bob Usim for his versatility rather than Romanus Orjinta.

2. Pius Ikedia - For one, Pius Ikedia does not merit an invitation at all not to talk of being included. Given that we have John Utaka, Osazee Odemwegie who can play on the right flank as well, his inclusion is an abnormality. This is a guy who has failed to lift his play above the average. This is a guy that failed to make the grade in Ajax that plays a formation most suited for him, yet here he is going to Tunisia. What is he going for if i may ask. CCC we all know is not an apostle of 4-3-3 so Ikedia inclusion due raise some questions. I leave it at that.

3. Ikpe Ekong - This is another player i see no reason for his inclusion. Yeah he is a DM, but he is not in the mould of Oliseh for one or Viera for another. He is yet to convince a majority that he is the solution to our DM position. And given that we have , Bob Usim, Xtian Obodo and Gabriel Melkam available to be picked, i wonder about his inclusion.

4.Garba Lawal: This is one of the most unsung players in the old SE. Right from his days with the Dream Team he has always be the tireless player on the field. But for heavens sake, he belongs to the past and like Tijani Babangida should have been left there. He has more than paid his dues. He is a utility player, but in all the positions he would have been deployed, the list released by CCC seemed to have covered those. I will chose Melkam ahead of Garba anyday.

c. Victor Agali:: Another absurd inclusion in the team. He was not in camp, never played under CCC, said to be down with injury, was in Nigeria "milikiing" while others were sweating it out in Faro, yet here is going to Tunisia. This is an injustice to those in camp and not chosen. He does not deserve an inclusion neither does he merit one.

B. Those not included:

1. Xtian Obodo: On merit, this guy deserves a place. His potentials and capability has never been in doubt. Above all, he rubs shoulders with the best there is in Serie A every weekend. If indeed merit is the criteria used for this team, then CCC has a lot to explain. Knowing that CCC is a disciple of a truly rigid 4-4-2 formation, Obodo is one player that should have been on his list. To me, he would have been more useful in the carrying position of CCC 4-4-2 formation. He would be very useful if deployed the way a younger Eguavoen was deployed in 1988 or the way Mutiu Adepoju or Oliha were usually deployed alongside Oliseh in the SE of CW

2. Gabriel Melkam: Watching this guy play weekly in the bundesliga gave one hope of better things to come for the SE in Tunisia. Now CCC for reasons best known to him did not choose him. Why? Only CCC can answer that. To me, he is a more suitable option than Garba Lawal.

3. Aliyu Mohammed: This is an exclusion that i pray does not come to haunt CCC at the end of the competition. Players like Aliyu Mohammed are rare. Today, i dont know of any other player in the list released by CCC who is as confortable as Aliyu on both feet. He can play on either the right or left of a midfield as well as an attacker. Yet he is not going to Tunisia. I wonder.

Others in this category in my opinion include Ekenna Ezenwa, Bob Usim, Rotimi Sunday. And then there is Wilson Oruma who was not even considered.

C. Matters Arising: Honestly, i believe CCC has just set a bad precendence that will come to haunt our national team in future. Yet no one seems to bat an eyelid on this. Here we are having players not in camp making the final list. Dont get me wrong, these players would have made the list easily if in camp. Yeah they were tied down by club commitments. The fact that they were not in camp and still make the team bothers me. Even a player holidaying in Nigeria while others were in camp was even listed. How low have we come. What justification do we have in future to blame players who do not show up in camp for flimsy excuses? Why do we roundly condem Martins Obafemi? I weep for the SE.
Last edited by azuka on Thu Jan 15, 2004 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PaJimoh

Post by PaJimoh »

Give every body on this forum a piece of paper and pencil and get them to write down their list of 22 players. I bet you will struggle get a concensus.

Yes some names should have been tere but it's not. Lets get over it and see what happens. If the worst happens, lets hope it would lead to a new beginning and eventually the right players will be selected
Sir V
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sir V »

Azuka, You should start weeping for Chukwu and Ogunjobi for what will happen to both them if Nigeria fails win the ANC. Believe me, they will be be exposed by some players how some players managed to make the team.
"If winning isn't important, why do we spend all that money on scoreboards?“ --Chuck Coonradt
azuka

Post by azuka »

Pa Jimoh
If the worst happens, lets hope it would lead to a new beginning and eventually the right players will be selected
Exactly my point. How can we have a new begining when people like Lawal, Agali, Ekong are being selected above players like Melkam, Obodo, Aliyu and co. Tell me?
omey2k4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by omey2k4 »

Azuka if u were witness to all the training activities,and saw the peformance of all these players u might have made more valid points.Right now everything U wote here is just your opinion.
http://www.myspace.com/donproductionsbeatz
http://www.soundcloud.com/donproductionsbeatz
www.twitter.com/Donproductions

Listen to my beatz^^^^^
azuka

Post by azuka »

Sir V,

Honestly i do pity CCC. If i were him, i would have been my own man and chose those i think can help me win in Tunisia. I believe he was not and that he has just dug his grave. I HOPE , WISH AND DO PRAY I AM WRONG.
Last edited by azuka on Thu Jan 15, 2004 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Sir V wrote:Azuka, You should start weeping for Chukwu and Ogunjobi for what will happen to both them if Nigeria fails win the ANC. Believe me, they will be be exposed by some players how some players managed to make the team.
Do not worry, all these facts will come out after the tournament. We will hear all of them. Kai. Dem dey do Chukwu like yeye no be small.

We will not let them get away with it.
Sir V
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sir V »

I cannot wait for the time top come
"If winning isn't important, why do we spend all that money on scoreboards?“ --Chuck Coonradt
northAfrican
Egg
Egg

Post by northAfrican »

I really wish CCC the best of luck. Not because I know more than others about his abilities but just because he is a local couch. I want to stay out of the debates about lists and all that fun stuff. I enjoy reading it but I can't join in it because I always look on the bright side and it is no fun arguing with me. I dream of a great African soccer age that is dawning but your debate here makes dream in particular of a local African manager who will break through that psycological glass cieling, a black giant who will write a page in the history of African soccer in firm hand. That page remains clean, white, and cold. It rustles right now in anticipation of Germany 2006 because that is the stage for the local African manager to show his metle. Tunisia 2004 could be the place for some local managers to cement their place at the helm of their national team until 2006. It could happen. There will come a time, no doubt about it, when the firing of couches a few moths or weeks before tournaments will end in African soccer. There will come a day when a great African couch will hold the world cup and kiss it and grin at the camera and I will be watching.
omey2k4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by omey2k4 »

North African if our Football leaders can give the loacl coach thir respect it would have been good,But local coaches dont get respect from the leaders of our football.
http://www.myspace.com/donproductionsbeatz
http://www.soundcloud.com/donproductionsbeatz
www.twitter.com/Donproductions

Listen to my beatz^^^^^
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

Sir V wrote:Azuka, You should start weeping for Chukwu and Ogunjobi for what will happen to both them if Nigeria fails win the ANC. Believe me, they will be be exposed by some players how some players managed to make the team.
Whatever Dude! Dis is di same crap you sprouted when Amodu was coach... where is the exposé?

You sprouted di same garbage when Onigbinde was coach... where is the freaking exposé?

Now you guys come with di same O'l tired stuff...

And hide under "I don't want to reveal my sources..."

Ohhh Puleeze!

Crap! You all sound like George Bush's warlords... "I promise you there's weapons of mass destruction"... where di *(&^$ are they?
Since ThyKingdomCome you have been saying di same $@#%!

Give us a Gaddem break!
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Pemba
Egg
Egg

Post by Pemba »

Azuka well said. CCC is lax to the point of losing whatever respect he may have had as a coach local or not.

I think coaching is made up of 25% of finding the right talent, 25% of injecting motivation and chemistry, 25% of preparation (training and tactics), and 25% of luck.

Something tells me that Christian Chukwu has not even got up to 50% of his duties as coach right. So lets not expect any miracles. Nigeria may not make it past the quarter-finals.

Kali.
Bell

Post by Bell »

OMEY2K, "LOCAL COACHES" DON'T GET RESPECT FROM THE AUTHORITIES, AND...

...they don't demand it. That's the problem.
Bell
Bell

Post by Bell »

AZUKA, YOUR ATTEMPT AT OBJECTIVITY IS APPRECIATED

I don't want to go over the list of players weeded/retained because I'm not in a better position than C3 or most of you to make the decisions. But if you've read other threads, you'd see where it has been suggested that the final list is a product of some shady "task force". C3's problem is that he accepts everything thrown. Ironically, the more he does this the easier it would be to fire him.

As for people not getting worked up about flexible-to-breaking-point treatment EPL players have received, you couldn't have read too many threads. txj and yours truly, among others, have been almost unaninous in giving them this way, lamenting that it boads ill for the future. Yes, to send a message for future actvities, I would sacrifice this tournament and send those prima donnas amajor lesson by leaving them out. For good if that's what it means. And I'm willing to pick players from the high schools.
Bell
Ghost
Egg
Egg

Post by Ghost »

I am concerned about the absence of pure finishers on our team. Our biggest problem in the last two ANCs was poor finishing. I would have hoped that this camping business will reveal at least one pure striker among Nworgu, Yaro Yaro, Aliyu Mohammed.
I can only hope that CCC has valid reasons in his own conclusions and not simply based on pressure or previous performances.
azuka

Post by azuka »

I don't want to go over the list of players weeded/retained because I'm not in a better position than C3 or most of you to make the decisions. But if you've read other threads, you'd see where it has been suggested that the final list is a product of some shady "task force". C3's problem is that he accepts everything thrown. Ironically, the more he does this the easier it would be to fire him.

As for people not getting worked up about flexible-to-breaking-point treatment EPL players have received, you couldn't have read too many threads. txj and yours truly, among others, have been almost unaninous in giving them this way, lamenting that it boads ill for the future. Yes, to send a message for future actvities, I would sacrifice this tournament and send those prima donnas amajor lesson by leaving them out. For good if that's what it means. And I'm willing to pick players from the high schools.
Bell
Bell,

I read it and was amazed. You now see why i will always advocate for an FC for our National team. No FC worth his salt will take this from anybody.
Prince
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Prince »

azuka wrote:

Bell
Bell,

I read it and was amazed. You now see why i will always advocate for an FC for our National team. No FC worth his salt will take this from anybody.
I will pick Aliyu ahead of Agali but there is no way I will pick Melkem ahead of BABA. Our back four is inexperienced already and very weak.
But Obodo ahead of Ekong definitely
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

...the most shocking inclusions: Ikedia, Enyeama, Ekong, Lawal, Orjinta.

Exclusions: Ijeh, Obodo, Melkam, Afolabi