This is REALLY over the top

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Paveman
Egg
Egg
This is REALLY over the top

Post by Paveman »

All this hating. I think a lot of fans on CE should grow up. As painful and horrible the elimination is, I don't think any of the players deliberately played badly. Those of us who have played football (at any level) know that sometimes you miss sitters, sometimes you commit stupid mistakes and sometimes you are out of form. Turning this into a Yakubu-hate session, a Kaita die-session, a Lagerback dumping session etc etc highlights the uselessness of discussion and the downfall of the forum which has been taken over by nonsense, 'emotional' posts. Sifting through posts to find any decent and objective analysis has become mission impossible. I think this is my first post during the whole of the World Cup.

Yakubu has served Nigeria very well during his time in SE. He had a couple of very good games at the World Cup but missed 2 golden chances. Of course, even I would have scored that goal and also my granny but that is neither here nor there. He gave his utmost, ran himself to the ground and won a lot of fouls and kept possession in attack. Kaita had a moment of HUGE folly in an otherwise hardworking campaign where he was often played out of position but played with his heart. Lagerback made some tactical changes to the team, seemed to bring an element of speed which was missing slightly during Amodu's tenure and, of course, I think also committed some crucial mistakes. How many points Amodu would have managed to obtain, and whether he would have qualified the Eagles to the second round is anybody's guess and no-one can seriously predict what would have happened.

The bottom line really is that Nigeria have no world class players in their team. Each player unfortunately has some great strengths but equally great weaknesses. It is very difficult to compete at such a high level. THe only biggest disappointment is that in Group B there was only one world class team so a place in the last 16 was up for grabs.
In the World Cup, especially if you're a weaker team, it is often episodes which will dictate whether you go through or are eliminated. In both crucial games against Greece and Korea, the episodes were clearly against Nigeria and that was its undoing. All this aggro and finger-pointing belies a true understanding of football which is ultimately a GAME.
globalinksnn
Egg
Egg
Re: This is REALLY over the top

Post by globalinksnn »

the problem with |SE is not talent. it is passion discipline and lack of team spirit!
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

globalinksnn wrote:the problem with |SE is not talent. it is passion discipline and lack of team spirit!
GTFOH there is a talent problem, we only have one player playing at a top team and he didn't make the team, and you want to tell us we don't have a talent problem? :???:
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
globalinksnn
Egg
Egg

Post by globalinksnn »

pls i dont agree wit you.
the players we have are enuf to get us to 1/4 finals.
if u review the matches we played you will see we had no business losing to argentina and we should have comfortably won the last two matches
and ofcos our strikers are very wasteful and selfish.
it all boils down to team spirit and work.
no we had our chances to win all the three matches but stupid mistakes and poor decisions killed us.
u dont have to be a coach to know that afolabi is not a flying eagles material.
if shittu could perform then sam sodje and adeleye would have perform.........
this world cup is a bad omen
the referees were not fair on us in all the matches.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

globalinksnn wrote:pls i dont agree wit you.
if u review the matches we played you will see we had no business losing to argentina and we should have comfortably won the last two matches
no we had our chances to win all the three matches but stupid mistakes and poor decisions killed us.
Keep burying your head in the sand!
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Molue Conductor
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Molue Conductor »

maceo4 wrote:
globalinksnn wrote:the problem with |SE is not talent. it is passion discipline and lack of team spirit!
GTFOH there is a talent problem, we only have one player playing at a top team and he didn't make the team, and you want to tell us we don't have a talent problem? :???:
how many of our 94 players were in top teams?
Didn't Algeria eliminate CIV with all their "top team" players (kolo toure, Drogba, yaya toure, Eboue)
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Molue Conductor wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
how many of our 94 players were in top teams?
We've discussed this many a team, they were just breaking out into the scene and after that world cup a good amount of them went to top teams, more than the one that we have now. And back then it was even that much harder for Africans to get top teams, abeg leave talk o, this team has a bunch of bench warmer extraordinaires on it lets call a spade a spade!
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

There is a talent problem

SE players are not exactly stars in their teams no matter what you are led to believe.

Nsofor, Martins, Obasi etc squander 1 V 1s in club too

So their poor performances sometimes has nothing to do with Nigeria.

We do not have world class players, but with better organisation that would have made ammends.
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
kulu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kulu »

All this is crap. Amodu qualified Nigeria, and was ignominously fired.

A loser and fraud was appointed in his place and promised bridges where there are no rivers (the NFF did not issue a statement - HE SAID IT). I am talking about the semi-final target.

He said he would take home-based players (irrelevant because the best players should be picked regardless of where they play) - but he didn't

Justice has been served. Amodu has been vindicated.

All else is shadows and dust.

All Amodu detractors - this is for you.
Cheers. :roll:
"How can someone qualify his country for the World Cup and then, because he lost a match, everyone is saying they should sack him. Please allow the man to do his work. Nobody is perfect, but if someone can qualify his country for the World Cup, then he deserves some respect. I even heard that it is the second time he has qualified Nigeria for the World Cup. That is huge". - French legend Alain Giresse on Nigeria's Shuaibu Amodu, 2010
Talk IT
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Talk IT »

Does Korea and Greece have more talen than us?
If there were no God, I would not be alive.
And if God is not good, I would have been dead.
Man Ataye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Man Ataye »

globalinksnn wrote:pls i dont agree wit you.
Naijans..Never wrong..Even if rep helped us we fo lose..that team is a care with dents and internal problems all ova.
The wars fought in the world are only a reflection of the wars fought within people....
Ebyboy
Egg
Egg

Post by Ebyboy »

Talk IT wrote:Does Korea and Greece have more talen than us?
In some ways, yes, they do. It takes precision and yes talent to do the simple things like defend a lead, make a simple pass, shoot accurately, track back to help, defend set pieces, keep possesion and not miss glaring chances. If you add coaching talent to that, the comparison is rather conclusive.

For many years upon this spot
You heard the sound of a merry bell
Those who were rash and those who were not
Lost and made a spot of cash
He who gave the game away
May he Brynn in hell and rue the day

Bryne V. Deane [1937]
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

KPOM!!

Enough is enough! Kaita messed up but it's over now, as for Yak....well I'm sure nobody feels as bad as him for missing that sitter.
nanijoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nanijoe »

Football is a funny old game...if either Yak or Martins had scored, many would be praising the genius of LargeBack and the excellence of both strikers. One wrong bounce, and it is a different story
airwolex wrote:KPOM!!

Enough is enough! Kaita messed up but it's over now, as for Yak....well I'm sure nobody feels as bad as him for missing that sitter.
anaedo1
Egg
Egg

Post by anaedo1 »

Our boys and coach fell short of giving their best and that was our greatest undoing.
We need to re-examine our football philosophy and plan ahead.
It is an embarassment of riches that a country of 150 million people with so many latent football talents is unable to raise 23 players to save us from our current predicament.
What we saw from Yak and co was just a manifestation of the nonchalance our people bring to bear on events and activities that other people take seriously.
Incidentally,why was it that none of all the pious ever discovered psycho-analysis?Why did it have to wait for a completely godless Jew?
Sigmund Freud
zee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by zee »

kulu wrote:All this is crap. Amodu qualified Nigeria, and was ignominously fired.

A loser and fraud was appointed in his place and promised bridges where there are no rivers (the NFF did not issue a statement - HE SAID IT). I am talking about the semi-final target.

He said he would take home-based players (irrelevant because the best players should be picked regardless of where they play) - but he didn't

Justice has been served. Amodu has been vindicated.

All else is shadows and dust.

All Amodu detractors - this is for you.
Cheers. :roll:
God bless you for been a truth seeker and............................speaker.
"Today we remember Nigeria and Africa football legend, Late Coach Stephen Okechukwu Keshi who passed on, on june 7th 2016. Thank you for the memories ‘The Big Boss.’ We can never forget you"............Kanu Nwankwo
Ebyboy
Egg
Egg

Post by Ebyboy »

nanijoe wrote:Football is a funny old game...if either Yak or Martins had scored, many would be praising the genius of LargeBack and the excellence of both strikers. One wrong bounce, and it is a different story
airwolex wrote:KPOM!!

Mba....Nanijoe. The bounce couldn't have been better for either of those two esp Yak. They missed BUT we have to move on.

For many years upon this spot
You heard the sound of a merry bell
Those who were rash and those who were not
Lost and made a spot of cash
He who gave the game away
May he Brynn in hell and rue the day

Bryne V. Deane [1937]
platinum
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by platinum »

People keep making this 'lack of talent' excuse and its old and tired!
The vicious nature of the world cup is this: If a team plays as a unit, every player looks great, the European clubs see that and come knocking, voila you have your players set up for even greater individual achievements and your country benefits.
When a team performs like a group of players who'd never met one another before, like SE did, then no matter how talented the individuals are, they will look like pi$$.
Its a team sport, never forget this. When the team is purring, even the so-called worst players look like world-beaters, when a team is playing $hitty like the SE did for 5halfs of this world cup then every single player ends up doing themself a disservice, even Enyeama who everyone was gushing over the first two games ended up looking like rubbish when it was all done, there's no substitute for a team ethos. NONE!
Evans Bipi, had declared to the press, “Why must [Governor Amaechi] be insulting my mother, my Jesus Christ on earth?”