'BENDELISM' - Nigerian Sports' Way Forward?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Siddonlook11
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: 'BENDELISM' - Nigerian Sports' Way Forward?

Post by Siddonlook11 »

One word - Leadership.

The other things come after that ..foresight , planning, infrastructure ,,,,etc etc came after there was committed leadership - Ogbemudia.

But I get painful stories sha oh...my popsie thought the 70's era would blossom so the man went and invested all his hard earned money in Afuze ( near the sport college ) hoping it would grow as planned to an Olympic training facility for Nigeria ...come buy land yanfu yanfu there and waited ...waited ...waited till he passed away ..
"The first key to greatness is to be in reality with what we appear to be ."

...Socrates
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

Bendel definitely punched above their weight, but I do think there's an element of truth in what Donzman is saying. In hindsight their dominance wasn't as absolute, and other regions particularly the East and South West did good as well.

Nevertheless there was a bit of an aura about Bendel boys, they had a swagger and winning mentality that was a bit different from others. Itr would be good if we had an unbiased discussion about this.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

airwolex wrote:Bendel definitely punched above their weight, but I do think there's an element of truth in what Donzman is saying. In hindsight their dominance wasn't as absolute, and other regions particularly the East and South West did good as well.

Nevertheless there was a bit of an aura about Bendel boys, they had a swagger and winning mentality that was a bit different from others. Itr would be good if we had an unbiased discussion about this.
I don't think there is any bias in what I am saying. Rather, it appears some are too eager to downplay the 'Bendel' phenomenon. I'm not sure I used the words 'absolute dominance'....but there is no denying the fact that for almost two decades, Midwest/Bendel state won the National Spiorts Festival.
Come to think of it, NUGA might also have reflected similar trends.
The argument that it was all down to swimming dominance, I believe doesn't carry much...uhm, water - forgive the pun.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

Damunk wrote:
airwolex wrote:Bendel definitely punched above their weight, but I do think there's an element of truth in what Donzman is saying. In hindsight their dominance wasn't as absolute, and other regions particularly the East and South West did good as well.

I don't think there is any bias in what I am saying. Rather, it appears some are too eager to downplay the 'Bendel' phenomenon. I'm not sure I used the words 'absolute dominance'....but there is no denying the fact that for almost two decades, Midwest/Bendel state won the National Spiorts Festival.
The argument that it was all down to swimming dominance, I believe doesn't carry much...uhm, water - forgive the pun.
But you used "phenomenom". :D

Anyway, I wasn't even refering to you per say. I agree that there was something a bit special going on as well.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

airwolex wrote:
Damunk wrote:

But you used "phenomenom". :D

Anyway, I wasn't even refering to you per say. I agree that there was something a bit special going on as well.
Yes, I recognise you were not referring to me.
I was only using myself as an example, just in case some people might think I am a 'Bendelite'. :D
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Bump!
Are they doing it again? :taunt:
Prince
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Prince »

eating stones without drinking water helps
Oya back to the matter
open and close
Chingo Bling
Egg
Egg

Post by Chingo Bling »

Prince wrote:eating stones without drinking water helps
What has Ajaokuta got to do with this?
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: 'BENDELISM' - NFF's Way Forward?

Post by Lolly »

RudeBoy wrote:It's simple Damunk. The Olympics are in a couple of years and has Nigeria started preparing for it? No. A few months before they will begin selction etc and by then it is too late. You can see how they are doing it in the UK can't you.

As you know, I was in Abuja in March and went to the African Junior Tennis Championships. I swear (and I am not kidding) they were still painting the courts on the eve of the event. On the first day of competition players were coming off court with the soles of the trainers turned blue (the colour of the freshly painted courts) and the yellow balls turned blue after just a few games! I've been to quite a few Junior tennis tournament around the world and Nigeria is the only country I have been to where there were more officials than players representing Nigeria at the even! :blush:
: :lol: :lol: :lol: They have mouths to feed.

We have become a country where it s all about how much money to chop. Nigeria always has the largest officials per athlete at any went - Olympics, WC, U17, U12 etc.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
Sir V
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sir V »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote:Damunk, the Midwest was once a progressive state as far as sports goes thanks to Ogbemudia but I wouldn't classify them as completely dominant. During the 70's, even though midwest schools brought in a lot of schoolboy wringers such as Amayo, Eyo, Mowarin and Adinkwe to name a few, they never managed to win the acadenicals cup, loosing successively to the West and then the East Central State. During that era, the Vipers, who would later come to be known as Bendel Insurance, won the challenge cup only once. While they were very visible and competitive, they were hardly dominant :!:

Cheers.
Why did you not mention the junior and intermediate team that won Gold at the 1973 sports festival?

For your information the Intemediate team won the Gold in football 1975, 1977, 1979(with Okpodu) sports festival.
"If winning isn't important, why do we spend all that money on scoreboards?“ --Chuck Coonradt
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

up Bendel.. 8-)
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

Bigpokey24 wrote:up Bendel.. 8-)

who dash you Bendel? Breda like you dey claim Bendel.
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

I be Bendel man on my Papa Mama Side :thumbs: :thumbs:
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
Sir V
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sir V »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:

Na Bendel bobo.
"If winning isn't important, why do we spend all that money on scoreboards?“ --Chuck Coonradt
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

Sir V wrote:
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:

Na Bendel bobo.
BigP na breda jo!
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

Sir V wrote:
TonyTheTigerKiller wrote:Damunk, the Midwest was once a progressive state as far as sports goes thanks to Ogbemudia but I wouldn't classify them as completely dominant. During the 70's, even though midwest schools brought in a lot of schoolboy wringers such as Amayo, Eyo, Mowarin and Adinkwe to name a few, they never managed to win the acadenicals cup, loosing successively to the West and then the East Central State. During that era, the Vipers, who would later come to be known as Bendel Insurance, won the challenge cup only once. While they were very visible and competitive, they were hardly dominant :!:

Cheers.
Why did you not mention the junior and intermediate team that won Gold at the 1973 sports festival?

For your information the Intemediate team won the Gold in football 1975, 1977, 1979(with Okpodu) sports festival.
The teams that won it in the years that the Midwest didn't can claim to be just as dominant. Listen guy, I admire the exploits of the Midwest in sports. I am a very proud old boy of Edo College but unless you don't understand the meaning of the word dominance then the Midwest, while progressive and competitive, was not dominant, pure and simple :!:

Cheers
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:

if you here my last name, you go ask me for autograph
SuperEagles

megapro
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by megapro »

Donzman wrote:
Damunk wrote:Thanks folem. I was waiting for Donzman to put his foot further in his mouth, before I let on. Lets see who is being 'sentimental' now.... :lol: :lol: :lol:
1. First, you did not provide any facts yet, Folem did. :lol: at waiting before you let on, you forgot you just said you will be going to search for the facts? Proof you started the thread without any facts to back your assertions.

2. The information posted by folem does not support your claim that Bendel was far and away ahead of the
competition. It is not at all clear they were any better than Lagos State through the seventies and eighties. So you might as well be asking what is special about Lagos?

3. Finally, and this is why facts are important: the article notes that Bendel's dominance is swimming is the main reason why they consistently edged out Lagos State. I.e. they followed the Chinese strategy of dominating in an event nobody cared about to inflate the medal counts. Is swimming really the reason you started this thread?

Folem, thanks for adding some facts to the discussion, even wth some of the inconsistencies, they're a lot better than "let's ask the people" :D :lol: .

Damunk keep believing Bendel dominated every sporting category even when facts show otherwise. Your feelings must trump facts. :lol: :lol:
Bendel won the games that era. Period.
They won Lagos games 73 and 75 Kaduna 77 and Benin 81. Oluyole 79 was disputed when imaginary badminton results were produced after the closing ceremony in a bid to dethrone Bendel. Bendel also won in PH 88 and teamed with Ondo and Rivers to win 1991 when zones were used.

Bendel never dominated swimming, Oyo with Valerie Olayode and Rivers did that but Bendel did damage limitations there by presenting swimers in all events. Rather than concentrate on team events, individual events were given special attention. For every Atanda Musa or Modupe Oshikoya from rival states, Bendel countered with Sunday Eboh, and African track and field leaders; Peter Okodogbe 100,200, Imadiyi 400, Comfort Ighagbon 800, Obasogie, Amike and Maria Usifo -hurdles, Ehizuelen -jumps, Ebewele -decathlon, Boxers Andeh, Orewa, Omoruyi, Owigho Okorodudu, Nwokolo who kept winning the boxing day champion of champions for states. Later Tina Ihagwam and Olopade Adeniken took their turns but the exodus abroad had started. Iyamu -squash, Oyibokhia, Nosa Imafidon -Lawn tennis, Ilekhuoba, Owens, Noruwa Cycling were all national champions. Coaches Ikhuoria and Tony Urhobo were phenomenal, and it seems the average bendelite is born street and rascally particulrly the safi and waffiarians. In the 80s when the military regimes named streets in state capitals for sportsmen that brought glory, Boxer Peter Konyegwachi and half the 85 U17 soccer team got streets named after them in Benin. Delta focused on keeping the tradition. Ibori built 8 stadiums, Amaju, Solomon Ogba and Uduaghan do a lot to encorage the athletes. See Okagbare. Add Brume, and the power lifters from Edo state sports council, and the old Bendel state produced more that half of the gold medals from the last commonwealth games. Maybe its in the Akpeteshi.

Midwest, Bendel, Edo and Delta have won 13 of the 17 festivals. 76 percent.

73 Midwest
75 Bendel
77 Bendel
79 Lagos
81 Bendel
85 Oyo
88 Bendel
91 Bendel, Rivers and Ondo zone
96 Lagos
98 Lagos
2000 Delta
2002 Edo
2004 Delta
2006 Delta
2009 Delta
2011 Rivers
2012 Delta
megapro 2012:
Keshi should be left alone to continue his program, and seriously has a chance of casting his name in gold
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

megapro wrote:
Donzman wrote:
Damunk wrote:Thanks folem. I was waiting for Donzman to put his foot further in his mouth, before I let on. Lets see who is being 'sentimental' now.... :lol: :lol: :lol:
1. First, you did not provide any facts yet, Folem did. :lol: at waiting before you let on, you forgot you just said you will be going to search for the facts? Proof you started the thread without any facts to back your assertions.

2. The information posted by folem does not support your claim that Bendel was far and away ahead of the
competition. It is not at all clear they were any better than Lagos State through the seventies and eighties. So you might as well be asking what is special about Lagos?

3. Finally, and this is why facts are important: the article notes that Bendel's dominance is swimming is the main reason why they consistently edged out Lagos State. I.e. they followed the Chinese strategy of dominating in an event nobody cared about to inflate the medal counts. Is swimming really the reason you started this thread?

Folem, thanks for adding some facts to the discussion, even wth some of the inconsistencies, they're a lot better than "let's ask the people" :D :lol: .

Damunk keep believing Bendel dominated every sporting category even when facts show otherwise. Your feelings must trump facts. :lol: :lol:
They won Lagos games 73 and 75 Kaduna 77 and Benin 81. Oluyole 79 was disputed when imaginary badminton results were produced after the closing ceremony in a bid to dethrone Bendel. Bendel also won in PH 88 and teamed with Ondo and Rivers to win 1991 when zones were used.

Bendel never dominated swimming, Oyo with Valerie Olayode and Rivers did that but Bendel did damage limitations there by presenting swimers in all events. Rather than concentrate on team events, individual events were given special attention. For every Atanda Musa or Modupe Oshikoya from rival states, Bendel countered with Sunday Eboh, and African track and field leaders; Peter Okodogbe 100,200, Imadiyi 400, Comfort Ighagbon 800, Obasogie, Amike and Maria Usifo -hurdles, Ehizuelen -jumps, Ebewele -decathlon, Boxers Andeh, Orewa, Omoruyi, Owigho Okorodudu, Nwokolo who kept winning the boxing day champion of champions for states. Later Tina Ihagwam and Olopade Adeniken took their turns but the exodus abroad had started. Iyamu -squash, Oyibokhia, Nosa Imafidon -Lawn tennis, Ilekhuoba, Owens, Noruwa Cycling were all national champions. Coaches Ikhuoria and Tony Urhobo were phenomenal, and it seems the average bendelite is born street and rascally particulrly the safi and waffiarians. In the 80s when the military regimes named streets in state capitals for sportsmen that brought glory, Boxer Peter Konyegwachi and half the 85 U17 soccer team got streets named after them in Benin. Delta focused on keeping the tradition. Ibori built 8 stadiums, Amaju, Solomon Ogba and Uduaghan do a lot to encorage the athletes. See Okagbare. Add Brume, and the power lifters from Edo state sports council, and the old Bendel state produced more that half of the gold medals from the last commonwealth games. Maybe its in the Akpeteshi.

73 Midwest
75 Bendel
77 Bendel
79 Lagos
81 Bendel
85 Oyo
88 Bendel
96 Lagos
98 Lagos
2000 Delta
2002 Edo
2004 Delta
2006 Delta
2009 Delta
2011 Rivers
2012 Delta
With evidence like this, you wonder what drives some people to impulsively dispute just about anything depending on what time of the month it is.
Thanks for the fine details megapro, but don't for one minute believe this is enough proof for Donzman and peeps like him tat will split hairs, derail and set up straw men just to muddy the waters.
Prince
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Prince »

Damunk wrote:
megapro wrote:
Donzman wrote:

73 Midwest
75 Bendel
77 Bendel
79 Lagos
81 Bendel
85 Oyo
88 Bendel
96 Lagos
98 Lagos
2000 Delta
2002 Edo
2004 Delta
2006 Delta
2009 Delta
2011 Rivers
2012 Delta
With evidence like this, you wonder what drives some people to impulsively dispute just about anything depending on what time of the month it is.
Thanks for the fine details megapro, but don't for one minute believe this is enough proof for Donzman and peeps like him tat will split hairs, derail and set up straw men just to muddy the waters.
Let me give it a try :taunt: :taunt:

Megapro they won most of it in swimming
Oya back to the matter
open and close
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

@damunk :rotf: kai
SuperEagles

Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Prince wrote:
Damunk wrote:
megapro wrote:
Donzman wrote:

73 Midwest
75 Bendel
77 Bendel
79 Lagos
81 Bendel
85 Oyo
88 Bendel
96 Lagos
98 Lagos
2000 Delta
2002 Edo
2004 Delta
2006 Delta
2009 Delta
2011 Rivers
2012 Delta
Let me give it a try :taunt: :taunt:

Megapro they won most of it in swimming
Una nor get wata for Ondo state? :taunt:
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

Swimming medals shouldnt count until we get out of the first round of an international swimming contest. How come the commowealth games weren't Bendelized :scared: :?: :!:

Cheers.