'BENDELISM' - Nigerian Sports' Way Forward?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Igugu
Egg
Egg
Re: 'BENDELISM' - NFF's Way Forward?

Post by Igugu »

Damunk wrote:Those of you old enough will remember there was once upon a time that BENDEL STATE, previously known as MID-WESTERN STATE completely dominated Nigerian sports. When I say completely, I mean it. It was across the board - whether we were talking about scholboy level, intermediate or senior level, male or female, athletics, football, boxing....just name it, they won it.

I could never quite figure out how they did it. Lagos, Oyo and Anambra states always played second fiddle to these sports giants. After all, the population of the state was dwarfed by many others. I came up with numerous theories in my young mind, but nothing really made sense. I even toyed with the idea it was 'Bendel okpo' (juju), but even then juju never quite cut it with me as anything credible .

When I got older, it became obvious to me that Bendel state took its sports very seriously thanks to its Governor, Ogbemudia. It wasnt rocket science after all. These were Nigerians running its sports administration and they just couldnt put a foot wrong.

The million dollar question today is: How did they get it so right that cannot be replicated on a national level today?

Anybody that benefitted from that golden era of 'Up Bendeh!!' should please enlighten us with what exactly these guys were doing to achieve such heights. They suppled a disproportionate number of national sportsmen. What was the template? Why can't we adopt this 'Bendelism', whatever it entails, on a national scale? :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea:
I was a Bendelite. Bottomline: Leadership, commitments, oneness of purpose, and the result was there to see. The Sports College at Afuze, was just an infrastructure to get the job done. The Leadership that minced no words and gave a dinitive road map for achievements was the main pilar, the head-corner stone of the whole program. Ogbemudia.
Yiba
Egg
Egg

Post by Yiba »

Damunk wrote:
However, even tho Bendel Insurance as a football club may not have had the dominance of the Enugu Rangers and IICC Shooting stars, across the wider sporting spectrum, I'd still say Bendel dominated.
My point isnt particularly about who won what in which year, but more about the phenomenon that was Bendel state sports and what they did to make themselves so glaringly better than their closest rivals.
It was a revelation to me in later years when I realised it was all down to one thing: organisation
My guy, it was down to organisation and the can do mentality of Bendel state sports council at the time.

The Bendel model is an anachronism in 2010. The Nigerian factor is en vogue. Nobody wants to do anything without asking,"what is in it for me ?" Many people are only interested in exploiting the system to "hammer". We now have a system where narcissism rules.
megapro
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by megapro »

Organisation and foresight was a factor but I think talent is the key.
The Most Armed robbers, Kidnappers and Harlots per citizen are from Bendel state. The best sportsmen are also from there.
Yes, the structure was there, seasoned coaches, (Ikhuoria, Tony Urhobo etc) were there, but even when the state excelled over the others bw the 70s and 90s, the better of their toughest opponents were originally from there. An example is the boxing contingent to Brisbane 82 ans LA 84: Okorodudu, Orewa, Omoruyi, Konyegwachi, Ossai and Nwokolo.

The most streetwise state in that country is no other. I remember Nkiru Okosiemen try to dislodge her brother Ndubuisi from his wing during street soccer.

Nigerians will not accept the the best in something is from somewhere and everyone wants to share the glory in a federal character arrangement.
The rot started when Babayo Shehu, Bayo Lawal -or whoever flet half of the victorious 1985 U17 team should not come from one state. The next set, originally, 38 players were invited from 19 states; 2 per state, per decree.
We have not been able to identify some of our teams ever since.

Recently, even in CE, there have been many screaming Edo mafia because coaches from there dominate the present national teams. I tried to debunk these sentiments with this post the other day:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=169213&hilit=edo+coaches

Edo state born coaches & the illusionary cabal

Lately we've been hearing stuff like Edo mafia, cabal and such which makes it apparent that the state born coaches benefit. Kingloku, paparassi sports, etc have been harping on this, so its about time one takes it on and see if its a trend, coincidence, or just crappy thoughts.

From the U17 (Monday Odigie) to (HB Chief coach -at large, Amodu) to Asst SE (Eguavoen), one sees folks from just one from 36 states serving the nation at the same time, but since there is no quota system, whats wrong when the best available are given the assignments?

Its actually our duty to support ALL NIGERIAN coaches irrespective of where they come from.

Nigeria has been world champions only three times in her history, and the state that provided two of the three: (Bordericks, Amun) was also the first to bring the WAFU (Bazuaye) and Champions league (Ikhana). Not to memtion CWC 1990.

Someone should list the members of the NPL, NFF and PTF so all should see that there is no such influence, while the state neither has a div 1 club, nor a gorvenor ready to infuse wad.

Did cabal win the two 2009 titles for Eguavoen (Enyimba) and Odigie (Bayelsa) last year?

It's high time we bury the Mafia hogwash for good.

NFF
Alhaji Sani Lulu Abdullahi (President)
Mazi Amanze Uchegbulam (1st Vice President)
Chief Oyuki Jackson Obaseki (2nd Vice President)
Dr. Bolaji Ojo-Oba (General Secretary)
Alhaji Abubakar Ladan
Chief Obinna Ogba
Chief Taiwo Ogunjobi
Dr. Peter Singabele
Dr. Shehu Adamu
Mr Dominic Iorfa
Mr Patrick Ekong
Mr Paul Taiwo Odebunmi
Mr Stephen Gyebgon
Princess Bola N. Jegede

PTF
Rotimi Amaechi of Rivers State, (Chairman)
Sani Ndanusa (vice chairman)
Patrick Ekeji (secretary)
Sani Lulu, Abdulmumuni Aminu
Buba Ahmed
Olusegun Adeniyi
Segun Odegbami
Austin Okocha
John Fashanu
Larry Izamoje
John Mastoroudes

NPL
Davidson Owumi- Chairman
Alhaji Shehu Garba Gusa -Vice Chairman
Al-Hassan saleh Yamkut -Executive Secretary
Hon. MH Sabo Babayaro -Board Member
Abdulahi Danbaba -Board Member
Joe Amene Board -Member
Alhaji Gambo Mamman Board Member
Comrade Anthony Yamusa -Board Member
Dr. Felix Owolabi (MON) -Board Member
Alhaji Suleiman Kwande -Board Member
Hon. Barr. Ray Nnaji -Board Member
Oswald Atuake -Board Member
Mike Idoko Okpe -Board Member
megapro 2012:
Keshi should be left alone to continue his program, and seriously has a chance of casting his name in gold
monkeypost
Egg
Egg

Post by monkeypost »

OK organisation, leadership, or whatever you may call it, can someone please explain to me why other competitive states like lagos state who usually came second in the sports festival had a lot of sports men of Bendel origin and even some of the northern states who won medals had bendelites in their midst winning these medals, could it be the organistion and leadership rubbed off on them from a distance, please give me reasonable answers and not british stereotyped answers. I am not saying organistion is not part of it however if all states were as organised as Bendel state was, I can assure you Bendel will still come out tops. now what was that extra thing they had, this is what I was attempting to explain to you guys, Bendelites in this forum would be able to explain it to you the mental strength, the never say die attitude, the drive to get to the top by every means possible, that self confidence you might not like it but it's true.
If you give me Cole and I give you Gallas, surely, SURELY, you owe me money? waka man on the Cole Gallas transfer saga
RudeBoy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by RudeBoy »

no doubt the last two posts were from Bendel boys! No one else would come up with such nonsense!

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke (1729 – 1797)

Among a people generally corrupt liberty cannot long exist - Edmund Burke (1729 – 1797)
monkeypost
Egg
Egg

Post by monkeypost »

RudeBoy wrote:no doubt the last two posts were from Bendel boys! No one else would come up with such nonsense!
Rudeboy does your reply answer the question posed or is it just you trying to be rude.
If you give me Cole and I give you Gallas, surely, SURELY, you owe me money? waka man on the Cole Gallas transfer saga
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Bump.
The Olympics is here and I found myself wondering the same thoughts again, especially in the light of the phenomenal feats of D'Tigers and our 100m sprinter Blessing Okagbare, who is also quite a fine babe when she wants to be!

"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Donzman
Egg
Egg
Re: 'BENDELISM' - Nigerian Sports' Way Forward?

Post by Donzman »

This thread shows what is wrong with our sports, there is no planning. But how can there be planning without hard data? Here we have a thread premised on the fact that Bendel State was dominant, but no one is yet to present any hard facts to match this apparent dominance. It is all based on "feelings" they were dominant, and even when TTTK pointed out they didn't especially win much in academicals, his facts were brushed aside because "feelings" have to trump hard facts.

No planning without hard facts, and as long as this thread remains based on feelings, it's part of the problem.
Metho scorpion
Egg
Egg

Post by Metho scorpion »

...Damunk cheiiii wetin provoked this beautiful memory in you? ...my response is simple...Governor Ogbemudia...relentlessly and unselfishly spent on sport then...there is an adage that says, "when a group is good it starts from no where but from the head"
...Governor Ogbemudia was the good head then...
zoro
Egg
Egg

Post by zoro »

Bendel knew how to cheat before all others.
IGBOS ARE THE IMPORTANT AND USEFUL SLAVES OF NIGERIA. THEY HAVE A CHOICE TO MAKE.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Donzman wrote:This thread shows what is wrong with our sports, there is no planning. But how can there be planning without hard data? Here we have a thread premised on the fact that Bendel State was dominant, but no one is yet to present any hard facts to match this apparent dominance. It is all based on "feelings" they were dominant, and even when TTTK pointed out they didn't especially win much in academicals, his facts were brushed aside because "feelings" have to trump hard facts.

No planning without hard facts, and as long as this thread remains based on feelings, it's part of the problem.
Actually, you are part of the problem too because you have quickly jumped to the conclusion that the thread is premised on 'feelings' and not facts, and have made up your mind, not realising -or even allowing for the possibility - that you are totally clueless.
TTTK was basing his argument on football only - fair enough, and he may have had a point. But Ogbemudia and Bendel State DID dominate i.e. top all national sport festivals in all age grades and in both male and female categories.
Because Nigeria on the whole does not keep records does not mean our brains and memory banks are faulty.
Let anyone here old enough to remember the 70s and or 80s come forward and dispute the fact that Bendel State (aka Mid-western state) did not win every National Sports Festival in that period bar none.
geminikoat
Egg
Egg

Post by geminikoat »

Nigeria's problem in sports, heck, in all spheres of life has boiled down to 3-4 things: Leadership, vision, organization/institution building! Every so often we get a good leader like Ogbemudia, Fashola with a vision and organization to follow through and we get a taste of what things could be, look like. But no sooner they left the stage, the rot returns. That's why building functional institutions that last beyond these individuals are paramount.

Nigeria needs to start putting round pegs in round holes and we must build functional institutions or else we'll continue to underachieve in all facets of human endeavors. Now put the same underachieving talented nigerians from any work of life in a place like America/Britain and see them succeed. The British Olympic team is full of nigerians!

Like President Clinton posits: Talent is equally distributed, opportunity is not! Lets start providing these opportunities to Nigerians in form of training, preparation, incentives and watch them explode on the world stage. Our problem is so basic yet elusive.
...but with God all things are possible...
Donzman
Egg
Egg

Post by Donzman »

Damunk wrote:Actually, you are part of the problem too because you have quickly jumped to the conclusion that the thread is premised on 'feelings' and not facts, and have made up your mind, not realising -or even allowing for the possibility - that you are totally clueless.
TTTK was basing his argument on football only - fair enough, and he may have had a point. But Ogbemudia and Bendel State DID dominate i.e. top all national sport festivals in all age grades and in both male and female categories.
Because Nigeria on the whole does not keep records does not mean our brains and memory banks are faulty.
Let anyone here old enough to remember the 70s and or 80s come forward and dispute the fact that Bendel State (aka Mid-western state) did not win every National Sports Festival in that period bar none.
Where are the facts? Saying that anyone old enough to remember will affirm is exactly arguing from feelings i.e. what people perceive which may or may not have any basis in reality. A recent study actually shows that individual perceptions of weather trends had nothing to do with reality, but was related to their political feelings regarding climate change. See here: http://arstechnica.com/science/2012/07/ ... peratures/

"Ask people" is no substitute for data. You can post the number of wins Bendel teams had in national competitions for a start, because as it stands you are arguing based on feelings, and that is no different from those who say Amodu is not a good coach regardless of his records.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Donzman wrote:
Damunk wrote:Actually, you are part of the problem too because you have quickly jumped to the conclusion that the thread is premised on 'feelings' and not facts, and have made up your mind, not realising -or even allowing for the possibility - that you are totally clueless.
Where are the facts? Saying that anyone old enough to remember will affirm is exactly arguing from feelings i.e. what people perceive which may or may not have any basis in reality. A recent study actually shows that individual perceptions of weather trends had nothing to do with reality, but was related to their political feelings regarding climate change. See here: http://arstechnica.com/science/2012/07/ ... peratures/

"Ask people" is no substitute for data. You can post the number of wins Bendel teams had in national competitions for a start, because as it stands you are arguing based on feelings, and that is no different from those who say Amodu is not a good coach regardless of his records.
Nope, not the same argument at all.
The Amodu 'good coach/bad coach' argument is a subjective one. His records however speak for themselves and can not be 'subjectified' (if there is such a word).

Anyway, are you prepared to eat humble pie if and when we are able to find this hard evidence you are asking for? Or are you simply going to quietly disappear? Yes, hard evidence is good, but like I said, you are part of the problem because you are convinced this is all about sentiment and therefore have summarily dismissed a crucial piece of sporting history one could actually use and build upon.
You need to show some respect when people are talking. Nigerians and ITK - typical :roll: .
folem
Egg
Egg

Post by folem »

Donzman wrote:This thread shows what is wrong with our sports, there is no planning. But how can there be planning without hard data? Here we have a thread premised on the fact that Bendel State was dominant, but no one is yet to present any hard facts to match this apparent dominance. It is all based on "feelings" they were dominant, and even when TTTK pointed out they didn't especially win much in academicals, his facts were brushed aside because "feelings" have to trump hard facts.

KPOM! That is the problem of the Black Man. :lol: :lol:

Below is an archive of past results. (with some print errors)

Bendel and Lagos had strong rivalry in the early days.

NIGERIA NATIONAL SPORTS FESTIVAL
folem
Egg
Egg

Post by folem »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote:Damunk, the Midwest was once a progressive state as far as sports goes thanks to Ogbemudia but I wouldn't classify them as completely dominant. During the 70's, even though midwest schools brought in a lot of schoolboy wringers such as Amayo, Eyo, Mowarin and Adinkwe to name a few, they never managed to win the acadenicals cup, loosing successively to the West and then the East Central State. During that era, the Vipers, who would later come to be known as Bendel Insurance, won the challenge cup only once. While they were very visible and competitive, they were hardly dominant :!:

Cheers.
:source: :mrgreen: :laugh: :lol: :biggrin:
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

folem wrote:

KPOM! That is the problem of the Black Man. :lol: :lol:

Below is an archive of past results. (with some print errors)

Bendel and Lagos had strong rivalry in the early days.

NIGERIA NATIONAL SPORTS FESTIVAL
Thanks folem. I was waiting for Donzman to put his foot further in his mouth, before I let on. Lets see who is being 'sentimental' now.... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Donzman
Egg
Egg

Post by Donzman »

Damunk wrote:Thanks folem. I was waiting for Donzman to put his foot further in his mouth, before I let on. Lets see who is being 'sentimental' now.... :lol: :lol: :lol:
1. First, you did not provide any facts yet, Folem did. :lol: at waiting before you let on, you forgot you just said you will be going to search for the facts? Proof you started the thread without any facts to back your assertions.

2. The information posted by folem does not support your claim that Bendel was far and away ahead of the
competition. It is not at all clear they were any better than Lagos State through the seventies and eighties. So you might as well be asking what is special about Lagos?

3. Finally, and this is why facts are important: the article notes that Bendel's dominance is swimming is the main reason why they consistently edged out Lagos State. I.e. they followed the Chinese strategy of dominating in an event nobody cared about to inflate the medal counts. Is swimming really the reason you started this thread?

Folem, thanks for adding some facts to the discussion, even wth some of the inconsistencies, they're a lot better than "let's ask the people" :D :lol: .

Damunk keep believing Bendel dominated every sporting category even when facts show otherwise. Your feelings must trump facts. :lol: :lol:
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Story. :taunt:
Al B Sure
Egg
Egg

Post by Al B Sure »

tales by moonlight :D
Winger
Egg
Egg

Post by Winger »

Dishonest bedelites are now celebrating :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
NIGERIA IS BIAFRA'S VICTIM
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Winger wrote:Dishonest bedelites are now celebrating :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
In the spirit of Donzman......
:source: :source: :source: :source:
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

I see bad belle here someone said it is because we are cheats hmmm tells the story of the nation in one word, pull a sucessful model down and leave nothing in place to strive for. Classic Niaja mentality, if it is good tear it down so that everyone can wallow comfortably in ignorance and ineptitude :) Bendel cheating smh... :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho