Klinsman just kept it real on USA (ESPN)

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

mate
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Klinsman just kept it real on USA (ESPN)

Post by mate »

I'm not sure Klinsman was addressing social inequality in American football as much as he was critiquing its culture of pushing the sports for scholarships. Only a fool would say that football isn't widely available to anybody in the US. True, there is a disturbing emphasis on select teams and attending academies, which I believe Jurgen is criticizing.

Even poorer athletes get money to play for such teams and to attend the academies. But it is in college where American players start to lose in comparison to the rest of the world. American players simply lack exposure to top flight football early in their development, being content to win scholarships. But that's why we have things like Project 2010 and so, focusing on those kids who want to play football and not necessarily be scholars.

I can assure any of you that we have LEGIONS of kids across the American ethnic mosaic seriously playing football, black, white, brown, yellow, and red. They are better than ever, rivaling anything I see in Europe. It's just that final step of development and exposure that they need.

But I am 100% certain the US will get there. It's a matter of when, not if.

Cheers, Mate
Pax Americana...Wither Now?
bepanda
Egg
Egg

Post by bepanda »

America needs players who focus on skill and not power and running. And it is all in the hand of coaches at the youth level.
I was listening to ESPN Radio yesterday and some of the reporters said, they can't watch MLS, but they have loved every minute of WC soccer, especially because of the different styles and the touches on the ball. The good moves, the dribbles, the surprise passes and so on ... MLS is like a bunch of robots playing against one another with no skill whatsoever ...
Against Ghana, one could see the difference in ball touches. The USA brings the running and the power, the Ghana team had the touches on the ball.
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

Them players are already in the pipeline but they still cannot compeat globally, because soccer is a street sports, academies cannot teach improvisations and the collective unconscious thuggery that the developing nations bring
Last edited by jette1 on Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
bonecrusher
Egg
Egg

Post by bonecrusher »

brigadoon wrote:
YUJAM wrote:And Lalas needs to show more respect to Ghana. He keeps saying 'this is Ghana', like Ghana have no pedigree on world stage. People like Lalas do not fail to show their ignorance about global footie
He is right in saying that Ghana is not Brazil or Germany. No disrespect in that. Trouble is that he seems to believe the US is up to Ghana's level. Not quite true.
Yeah he is right in saying that but we went on to say they are no Mexico either. Who the heck mentions Mexico in the same breath as Brazil and Germany? and how much better are they than Ghana? That right there exposed the arrogance or is it ignorance Yujam talks of
maddock
Egg
Egg

Post by maddock »

I don't see how Alexi Lala's ignorance is much different from many forumers on here that don't give a team a chance pre tournament because they don't know anything or know very little about the team they are writing off. The only difference is Lalas has a wider platform to display his ignorance. I know teams like Egypt have been written off time and time again yet won 3 titles and are still belittled by ignorant folks in the same manner that the minute Essien got injured people were saying Ghana would not get out of the group (while many said the same before Essiens injury ruled him out) and thanks to hindsight now many of those ignorants are trying to use penalties and luck as a way to discredit the Black Stars. Regardless it makes no difference because wether or not ignorant people make noise or excuses the facts are there for all to see. An inexperienced team of Black Stars are in the world cup qf. Just as the facts remain Egypt are a 3peat African Champion.
GIN
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by GIN »

@Maddock, Humility is not in our vocab.
The question now is, who is going to keep it REAL ON NIGERIA? :sneaky:
Samson Siasia speaking FACTs about 2008.
“I have been waiting for this job for almost three years now and that was before the 2008 Beijing Olympics. I was to be the coach of the Super Eagles after the interview conducted for the job. But that time I said no, I wasn’t ready. Now that I am ready, I am not intimidated at all. I am ready for this job,” he declared matter-of-factly" http://africanfootball.mtnfootball.com/ ... m_ID=36099
ogasir
Egg
Egg

Post by ogasir »

maddock wrote:I don't see how Alexi Lala's ignorance is much different from many forumers on here that don't give a team a chance pre tournament because they don't know anything or know very little about the team they are writing off. The only difference is Lalas has a wider platform to display his ignorance. I know teams like Egypt have been written off time and time again yet won 3 titles and are still belittled by ignorant folks in the same manner that the minute Essien got injured people were saying Ghana would not get out of the group (while many said the same before Essiens injury ruled him out) and thanks to hindsight now many of those ignorants are trying to use penalties and luck as a way to discredit the Black Stars. Regardless it makes no difference because wether or not ignorant people make noise or excuses the facts are there for all to see. An inexperienced team of Black Stars are in the world cup qf. Just as the facts remain Egypt are a 3peat African Champion.
Dude shut up. What does this thread have to do with Ghana or Egypt. :roll: ?
IN SUPER EAGLES WE TRUST
Kako
Egg
Egg

Post by Kako »

ogasir wrote:
maddock wrote:I don't see how Alexi Lala's ignorance is much different from many forumers on here that don't give a team a chance pre tournament because they don't know anything or know very little about the team they are writing off. The only difference is Lalas has a wider platform to display his ignorance. I know teams like Egypt have been written off time and time again yet won 3 titles and are still belittled by ignorant folks in the same manner that the minute Essien got injured people were saying Ghana would not get out of the group (while many said the same before Essiens injury ruled him out) and thanks to hindsight now many of those ignorants are trying to use penalties and luck as a way to discredit the Black Stars. Regardless it makes no difference because wether or not ignorant people make noise or excuses the facts are there for all to see. An inexperienced team of Black Stars are in the world cup qf. Just as the facts remain Egypt are a 3peat African Champion.
Na wa for the guy o :?
Ara lao mada o, ao ni daran.
Arambara!

Ohamadike of Ijebu Igbo in Biafra land

I am a cat face yorobber son of Afonja skull miner!
tippy
Egg
Egg

Post by tippy »

i think he's saying look at the log in your eye before commenting about the speck in others dummy. :roll:
My usual reaction after most Arsenal games: "lol, f*** Arsenal."
k24opout
Egg
Egg

Post by k24opout »

bepanda wrote:America needs players who focus on skill and not power and running. And it is all in the hand of coaches at the youth level.
I was listening to ESPN Radio yesterday and some of the reporters said, they can't watch MLS, but they have loved every minute of WC soccer, especially because of the different styles and the touches on the ball. The good moves, the dribbles, the surprise passes and so on ... MLS is like a bunch of robots playing against one another with no skill whatsoever ...
Against Ghana, one could see the difference in ball touches. The USA brings the running and the power, the Ghana team had the touches on the ball.
D I college coaches are notorious for this, the comfort level on the ball is completely missing because talented kids are forced to play this kick and run game. The first step in futball should always be comfort on the ball, the dutch do this beautifully, not to mention the south americans. The running and power will naturally come if you train, the hardest part is touch.
GAME RECOGNIZE GAME GRANDAD..and YOUR LOOKING UN-FA-MILIAR RIGHT NOW

We cannot repay debt because if we don't pay the creditors won't die, but if we do pay we will die. Tomas Sankara
maddock
Egg
Egg

Post by maddock »

GIN wrote:@Maddock, Humility is not in our vocab.
I don't think I was being arrogant. I am just pointing out that people who do the same thing as Lalas should not be pointing fingers.

@ ogasir stfu yo damn self. Mugu.
maddock
Egg
Egg

Post by maddock »

tippy wrote:i think he's saying look at the log in your eye before commenting about the speck in others dummy. :roll:
Thanks for spelling it out for the dummies especially that mugu who didn't notice the thread starter mentioned Ghana as a team Lalas was being ignorant about. The dumb@#$% just exposed his ignorance.
GIN
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by GIN »

maddock wrote:
I don't think I was being arrogant. I am just pointing out that people who do the same thing as Lalas should not be pointing fingers.

Maddock, I was refering to the same folks that you addressed in your last post.
Samson Siasia speaking FACTs about 2008.
“I have been waiting for this job for almost three years now and that was before the 2008 Beijing Olympics. I was to be the coach of the Super Eagles after the interview conducted for the job. But that time I said no, I wasn’t ready. Now that I am ready, I am not intimidated at all. I am ready for this job,” he declared matter-of-factly" http://africanfootball.mtnfootball.com/ ... m_ID=36099
maddock
Egg
Egg

Post by maddock »

GIN wrote:
maddock wrote:

Maddock, I was refering to the same folks that you addressed in your last post.
Oh my bad. My own ignorance and lack of reading properly caught me out there. :blush:
platinum
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by platinum »

YUJAM wrote:And Lalas needs to show more respect to Ghana. He keeps saying 'this is Ghana', like Ghana have no pedigree on world stage. People like Lalas do not fail to show their ignorance about global footie
Lalas is extremely annoying.
Evans Bipi, had declared to the press, “Why must [Governor Amaechi] be insulting my mother, my Jesus Christ on earth?”
Metho scorpion
Egg
Egg

Post by Metho scorpion »

...you mind that goat...they ae yet to become a soccer playing nation..Ghana is a football playing nation...
Molue Conductor
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Molue Conductor »

mate wrote:
Eegil wrote:Klinsman has been talking straight. After the Ghana/Germany game he said he thot Ghana played better but just could find a way to convert their chances....hinting that the USA was in for a dog fight.
I'll bet the panelists and viewers thot he was nuts.
I have been saying the same thing about Ghana since their 1st game. Ghana is a very, very difficult team to beat, regardless of the opponent. However, because of a lack of scoring, Ghana also makes it difficult for itself to beat inferior opponents.

I said it before and I'll say it again: Ghana must emphasize possession and opportunistically go for goal, conserving strength for end game surges. I don't think Ghana can realistically expect to score 2 goals against top opposition. But it is more than realistic for Ghana to keep out anybody from scoring.

Again, if Ghana had just 1 real forward, they would be a serious threat to win the WC. And even like this, you never know. At this point, Ghana can dream the impossible dream.

Cheers, Mate
Ghana has not scored 2 goals in 90 mins in their last 17 international games
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kulu »

maddock, thank you for this post. :thumbs:
"How can someone qualify his country for the World Cup and then, because he lost a match, everyone is saying they should sack him. Please allow the man to do his work. Nobody is perfect, but if someone can qualify his country for the World Cup, then he deserves some respect. I even heard that it is the second time he has qualified Nigeria for the World Cup. That is huge". - French legend Alain Giresse on Nigeria's Shuaibu Amodu, 2010
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

Kako wrote:
ogasir wrote:
Na wa for the guy o :?
maddumb is an angel*. pls pay him no attention. i browse GW regularly, those clowns wouldnt know humility if it slapped them across the face. add to that their distrubing obsession with Nigeria. im happy that their team is doing well bcos i have Ghanaian friends who are not like the idiots on GW.
I AM THE EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION- BRET THE "HITMAN" HART.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.
tmex12
Egg
Egg

Post by tmex12 »

phantomjournalist wrote:
ugly boy wrote: He also said they need to try things like engaging the Hispanic community in the US.
That's exactly what they DO NOT want to do, even though they should.
Its also a money issue. If you are kid with awesome athletic talent and can choose between soccer, Basketball, Baseball, American football - what will you go for? MLS salaries are pathetic; at current levels cant attract top US talent.

Soccer is also a very middle class sport. I signed my son up for a summer program - fees etc is close to $300/$400. How many disadvantaged kids can afford that.
ugly boy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ugly boy »

Real question, If the entire US soccer national team was full of Blacks and Hispanics will it get the same support from the same demographics who supported today's US team at the world cup?
goke313
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by goke313 »

ugly boy wrote:Real question, If the entire US soccer national team was full of Blacks and Hispanics will it get the same support from the same demographics who supported today's US team at the world cup?
honestly no....

interested in hearing some responses Image
nanijoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nanijoe »

Are you serious? Does the USA basketball team not get support at the Olympics?
goke313 wrote:
ugly boy wrote:Real question, If the entire US soccer national team was full of Blacks and Hispanics will it get the same support from the same demographics who supported today's US team at the world cup?
honestly no....

interested in hearing some responses Image