RSA ADOPT NEW "STYLE" FOR NIGERIA AND ANC 2004

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

SUYA
RSA ADOPT NEW "STYLE" FOR NIGERIA AND ANC 2004

Post by SUYA »

Bafana Bafana coach Ephraim Mashaba has been fired by the South African Football Association (Safa) one day before the team leaves for the African Cup of Nations finals.

Assistant coach April 'Styles' Phumo will lead South Africa in Tunisia as Mashaba's replacement, Safa president Molefi Oliphant said on Thursday.

Mashaba had been suspended for the last seven days by Safa for an alleged breach of contract, and his dismissal came in a letter while an urgent interdict against his suspension was continuing at the Johannesburg High Court.

The coach was arguing that he was not given an opportunity to defend himself, but the letter sent by Safa said that Mashaba had failed to make any effort to remedy the reasons for his suspension.

"In light of the failure, your services are hereby cancelled," the letter, which was signed by Safa chief executive officer Albert Mokoena, said.

Mashaba was suspended on 7 January after Safa claimed he had failed to monitor the form of the country's foreign-based players and had selected a Nations Cup squad with players who were injured or who had not played recently.

The body also said Mashaba had failed to promote the association's image, a matter of some importance given that South Africa are one of five African countries bidding to host the 2010 World Cup.

New coach

Phumo will now lead the team at the Nations Cup in Tunisia, yet the 63-year-old has an unenviable record of guiding South Africa to a first-ever defeat by Mauritius in his one game in charge.

The assistant manager stepped into the breach for last weekend's Cosafa Castle Cup game following Mashaba's suspension.

Phumo is South African-born but has spent much of life in neighbouring Lesotho, where he was twice coach of the country's national side.

The Bafana Bafana team depart on Friday for a friendly against Senegal in Dakar on Sunday, and the squad will then travel to Tunisia on 19 January.

South Africa, who won the Nations Cup in 1996, will contest Group D at the finals alongside Nigeria, Morocco and newcomers Benin.
SUYA

Post by SUYA »

This is not funny anymore...........I cant keep changing numbers in my Palm !!!!! :twisted: Please they should make up their minds.
Naija fan
Egg
Egg

Post by Naija fan »

I almost get the feeling that RSA have given up on this tournament. I hope the SE can take them out of thier misery quick.
Last edited by Naija fan on Fri Jan 16, 2004 5:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
"It is not who you are that holds you back, it's who you think you are not."
Greatwon
Egg
Egg

Post by Greatwon »

Sweet. less of a competition for the supereagles. :lol:
"...I believe we can go the whole season
unbeaten...". --- Arsene Wenger, Oct 2002
Those who make a peaceful revolution impossible will make a violent revolution inevitable.
shaq
Egg
Egg

Post by shaq »

We should now play them blind-fold :D :P
shaq
Egg
Egg

Post by shaq »

...better still, we should play them with a man short. 10 vs 11 :wink:

where's Mandoza these days :?: :mrgreen:
omonoba
Egg
Egg

Post by omonoba »

Guys, don't let the SA crisis decieve us. The SA team will be a very tough team to beat when the proverbial excrement hits the fan :)
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

shaq wrote:...better still, we should play them with a man short. 10 vs 11 :wink:
Yes without Garba, Ekong.....and Chukwu while we're at it.
O-Qua Tangin Wann! Die with memories, not dreams.™

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
juventuss
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by juventuss »

regardless of our first 11 i think we will be playing minus 1
Ayton Senna wrote:On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' As soon as you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high - Ayton Senna

FORZA JUVE
omonaija
Egg
Egg

Post by omonaija »

Naija fan wrote:I almost get the feeling that RSA have given up on this tournament. I hope the SE can take them out of thier misery quick.
That is if the SE get out of their own misery...don't you think so!
To God be the glory....New Year 2024! Seek him first and all other things shall be added!Thus saith the Lord!