Breaking news. Suspiscion Nigeria match fixing at World Cup

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

mmeny
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Breaking news. Suspiscion Nigeria match fixing at World Cup

Post by mmeny »

Money miss road... This team can afford to beat itself. They need no incentives.
Just because cat sabi swim no mean say him be catfish - M.I
AreaDaddy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by AreaDaddy »

I think most of you are missing the nature of the way matches are fixed these days. You are all assuming it is about throwing the match completely, but in many cases it isn't. It could be about throwins, bookings, number of corners, etc and it is widespread cos it is so difficult to track.

For instance former England player Matt Le Tissier reveals
The recent revelations in Matt le Tissier’s autobiography highlight the range of opportunities for corrupt sportspeople. The Southampton player placed a bet on the time of the first throw in one of their matches. All he had to do to collect a sum “well into four figures” was kick the ball out of play early in the match.
Anyone who dabbles in the occassional bet will appreciate the staggering number of betting options available on a single game which have nothing to do with who wins or loses.
---
"Nobody seems to want to live in a democracy anymore. All they want is to live in a dictatorship that supports their point of view."
Cristao II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cristao II »

Anyone consider that perhaps a BBC journo saw this site and Rossike's comments and made an article about it.

It happened whilst I was a glory glory member ..

But for now I am :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: Desperate NEWS!! They should check why the England team flopped!!
"Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud have we become, and how blind."

Primary: Lenovo Y410p: i5-4200M | 2GB Nvidia GT755M | 16GB DDR3L | 1000GB SSD | N2230 | LG24MP76 - Windows 10 64-Bit
Secondary: Dell Inspirion 1545: Core2Duo | 4GB RAM | 320GB 5400RPM - Linux Mint Cinnamon
Tertiary: Lenovo Legion 5 Pro: Ryzen 7 5800H | 32GB DDR4 | 2000GB SSD | 8GB NVidia RTX3070 - Windows 11 Pro
HTC U11+ - Xiaomi Mi8
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

spastic wrote:This is dumb!

I bet they could find circumstantial evidence though. Nigerian players are so poor at some fundamental things, that anyone who has been to a youth camp might wonder if such nonexistent technique was in fact evidence of foul play :boo:

Sorry folks, its hard to throw a game in which you are outshot 20 to 7. :boo:
Abi o? And people who belive this crap are he same ones rushing to call others "fools"...
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
mate
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mate »

Penarity, anything is possible, but inference by possibility is a logical fallacy. We need more proof than mere speculation of susceptibility and saying that Nigerians are corrupt. I know Croatians can be corrupt, so it doesn't surprise me that the match fixer in that article was one of us.

But the whole Croatian NT fixing in front if cameras, knowing fraud detection is espcially monitoring betting? For 3 games? Come on. Even I know we wouldn't be so corrupt and unpatriotic.

The truth is that the SE tried but simply were not good enough, sorry to say. I have to go with Occam's Razor on this one, until proven differently.

Cheers, Mate
Pax Americana...Wither Now?
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Breaking news. Hint of Nigeria match fixing at World Cup

ohsee wrote:
Samora Moises Machel wrote:
green4life wrote:
Samora Moises Machel wrote: Green4life, FIFA had been approached before tournament started not after so that alone makes it suspiscious. To this day i cant understand Yobos header where he practically passed ball to an opposing player :cry: :cry: :cry:
LMAO :rotf: ... are you serious? Evidently you didn't watch Yobo deliver a well placed square pass assist to Wayne Rooney in HIS BOX some years ago while playing for everton. You missed the world class own goal he scored for Sierra Leone in Abuja during Nigeria's 4-1 demolition of fake Maradona's peeps. There are more examples of his lack of focus in dangerous areas of the pitch. Thanks for the joke though. :rotf:
You making the prosecutions case abi, it might mean he has been at it for yonkers for both club and country. These betting syndicates are very sophisticated you know. Are you aware of Hansie Cronjies case and selling world cup cricket games for RSA :cry: :cry:
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
This is the surest proof that belief systems are impossible to change with rational evidence. The ROSSBOTTOMITES on this site firmly believe that blacks and black countries are perfect in every way, and are in fact better than white, and the only reason blacks fail is because of the shenanigans of others, especially whites. Evidence of poor preparation, poor tactics, or poor levels of development, or poor and lousy Yobos do not change the minds of these followers of the Great Guru of Garbage Talk on CE. :lol: :lol: :lol:

you know? :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
AFCON 2019 sweet o

Comrade Machel
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Comrade Machel »

AreaDaddy wrote:I think most of you are missing the nature of the way matches are fixed these days. You are all assuming it is about throwing the match completely, but in many cases it isn't. It could be about throwins, bookings, number of corners, etc and it is widespread cos it is so difficult to track.

For instance former England player Matt Le Tissier reveals
The recent revelations in Matt le Tissier’s autobiography highlight the range of opportunities for corrupt sportspeople. The Southampton player placed a bet on the time of the first throw in one of their matches. All he had to do to collect a sum “well into four figures” was kick the ball out of play early in the match.
Anyone who dabbles in the occassional bet will appreciate the staggering number of betting options available on a single game which have nothing to do with who wins or loses.

Thank you. And what i cant understand is people rubbishing the claims before the programme has even ben aired for us to judge the claims :roll: :roll: :roll:
Ratlala :thumbs: :D

https://youtu.be/8CZLsYase0Q
ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ohsee »

dcf1 wrote:I have actually written published articles about Asian syndicates bribing Pakistan, South Africa and Australia cricketers to under-perform in international matches.

The process is usually as follows: ensure that successive coaches select the players who have been knobbled, and bribe four or five of the players to badly execute one or two key plays in the matches in question. Players who are either clubless or subs for their club are usually those who succumb to initial requests to under-perform for their club, and after that they are bribed and blackmailed to do so for their country. Often it is their own federation bosses who are the middle-men for the betting syndicates.

If I were to extrapolate cricket fixing techniques and apply them to what we have seen, I would question the following:

1) whether BOTH Lagerback AND Amodu were part of it.
2) whether Tunisia was part of it too.
3) whether Yobo, Yakubu, Kaita and Osaze were the players who were knobbled, and possibly Martins too.

In general, players who have been corrupted are blended by a corrupt coach with substandard players (eg Shittu or Etuhu, who are honest but average performers) and with three or four players who are above reproach. The corrupted players will not play so badly as to arouse public demand for them to be dropped, but will mess up one or two decisive plays.

Rossike's original post made me wonder, and now I'm convinced. The process will be of
1. The NFF preparing the players badly to minimize the danger of victory.
2. The NFF appointing a corrupted coach.
3. The coach ensuring certain key players are knobbled.
4. The coach starting one or two players who are not of international class.
Kai! Nna dis conspilacy teoly blilliant o! Chileke! See how di whollo tin fit togedda like magics! :shock: :shock:
Penarity
Egg
Egg

Post by Penarity »

Yobo claiming to DIE on the field against Greece... only to give passes to the opponents... these players should be investigated!
There is nothing to learn from someone who already agrees with you.
Penarity
Egg
Egg

Post by Penarity »

mate wrote:Penarity, anything is possible, but inference by possibility is a logical fallacy. We need more proof than mere speculation of susceptibility and saying that Nigerians are corrupt. I know Croatians can be corrupt, so it doesn't surprise me that the match fixer in that article was one of us.

But the whole Croatian NT fixing in front if cameras, knowing fraud detection is espcially monitoring betting? For 3 games? Come on. Even I know we wouldn't be so corrupt and unpatriotic.

The truth is that the SE tried but simply were not good enough, sorry to say. I have to go with Occam's Razor on this one, until proven differently.

Cheers, Mate
Mate, I agree with you, but aside from experiments in Chemistry, is there any smoke without fire? If this is well investigated, I believe some findings would be made. I just feel so sad about this...

...the country has no future.
There is nothing to learn from someone who already agrees with you.
akamoke

Post by akamoke »

This remains an allegation until evidence is produced...those saying I will eait taya for evidence, so be it..
For my sceptical Nigerian Friends : Pessimism is great because you are either always right or pleasantly surprised.
ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ohsee »

Penarity wrote:Yobo claiming to DIE on the field against Greece... only to give passes to the opponents... these players should be investigated!
Penarity, somebody told me you are a very smart guy. Was the person lying? What is so unusual about Yobo passing the ball to opposing players in a dangerous area?
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

ohsee wrote:
Penarity wrote:Yobo claiming to DIE on the field against Greece... only to give passes to the opponents... these players should be investigated!
Penarity, somebody told me you are a very smart guy. Was the person lying? What is so unusual about Yobo passing the ball to opposing players in a dangerous area?

Please, can you repeat the question?
BTW, if I may answer, na only Physics and Maths the bobo sabi. Him na genius for those disciplines (he is still remembered @ Unilorin as a storied student of the even more storied Chike Obi Jr).

Anything wey no be Physics and Maths...count him out.
AFCON 2019 sweet o

CMS
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Breaking news. Hint of Nigeria match fixing at World Cup

Post by CMS »

Muahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!
airwolex wrote:
Samora Moises Machel wrote:
green4life wrote:
AreaDaddy wrote:Interesting. I remember ROSSIKE speculating that this may have happened....
Fifa was warned before this year's World Cup of fears Nigeria's team could be vulnerable to match-fixing, BBC Newsnight has learned.

A Uefa investigator in South Africa raised concerns, including over betting patterns.

Nigeria went out of the tournament in the first round, losing to Greece.

In a statement to Newsnight, Fifa did not deny getting a warning but say they have "no indication" of match-fixing in any World Cup matches in South Africa.

Newsnight understands a member of Uefa's Disciplinary Services Unit – which is responsible for investigating match-fixing – first became suspicious during qualifying rounds of the World Cup and it is alleged that certain Nigerian players came forward and said their team was vulnerable to manipulation.

On the morning of Nigeria's first match, he alerted Fifa's new Early Warning System, set up to look for signs of match-rigging, of his concerns.

German journalist Christian Bergmann also had a call just before the first Nigerian game of the tournament from a Uefa contact, who said there were suggestions that "some players from the Nigerian team are actually involved in some form of manipulation".

In their second game of the tournament, Nigeria were strong favourites to beat Greece and took an early 1-0 lead.

But, after just 33 minutes, Nigeria had a man sent off and Greece scored their first-ever World Cup goals to win 2-1.

After their elimination, Nigerian president Goodluck Jonathan was so angry with the team's poor performances that he suspended the whole team from international competition. He later reversed that decision following a complaint from Fifa.

Abeg, were is the evidence? This is nonsense. The team I watched was rubbish all by themselves. Poorly coached with no tactical input from the bench. If there was any fixing of games, look squarely to the coach first.

Green4life, FIFA had been approached before tournament started not after so that alone makes it suspiscious. To this day i cant understand Yobos header where he practically passed ball to an opposing player :cry: :cry: :cry:
Dude please hold up! Yobo has been passing to opposing attackers to score for a while now.
http://nigeriamasterweb.com/paperfrmes.html

Keshi said that before the team arrived South Africa that he told skipper Joseph Yobo that the Eagles were going to win the Cup but the former Everton defender did not believe.
:lol:
Al B Sure
Egg
Egg

Post by Al B Sure »

This world cup was hosted in Africa, they haven't found anything to be negative about. They tried with the Vuvuzela, that did not work, why not pick on Nigeria? They dare not accuse a fellow European country with no evidence whatsoever.
mate
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mate »

ohsee wrote:
He's one of the smartest people I have ever met in cyberspace...which is what disconcerts me about his seemingly believing this hook, line, and sinker, especially coming from somebody like Rossike.

:?

Cheers, Mate
Pax Americana...Wither Now?
blueangel
Egg
Egg

Post by blueangel »

Samora Moises Machel wrote:On BBC news 24 right now :cry: :cry: :cry:

Supposedly even FIFA had been warned of this during the World Cup

Guess Rossikes post about Yakubus miss might make sense now

Sorry cant provide link but its on the tv as i type. Supposedly there also unusual betting patterns concerning some or all Nigerias matches :oops: :oops: :oops:

The Match Fixing Scandal is with The 3 Lions. British National Football Team.

Did their Goalie not suspiciously let in a free goal for the USA ?

Did they Not Suspiciously draw with Algeria ?

Did they Not Suspiciously lose to Germany by a 3 Goal Margin ?

Let them stop their charade and smoke screen.

FIFA i beg DO YOUR JOB.
GREENWHITEGREEN
Egg
Egg

Post by GREENWHITEGREEN »

Mods, delete this thread.
Topic already dicussed.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=175082&p=2797274#p2797274
-Simpli fy -
Comrade Machel
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Comrade Machel »

Right i have watched the BBC show based on the story. Appart from the journalist who claims he was told the Greece and Argentina games there was not really much or anything to back up these claims except for FIFA acknowledging more or less that they did get emails warning them of Nigerias team being susceptble to manipulation
Ratlala :thumbs: :D

https://youtu.be/8CZLsYase0Q
Chingo Bling
Egg
Egg

Post by Chingo Bling »

Ha, when did people start taking anonymous Nigerian emails seriously!
This rumour wad probably started by someone on this site
Samora Moises Machel wrote:Right i have watched the BBC show based on the story. Appart from the journalist who claims he was told the Greece and Argentina games there was not really much or anything to back up these claims except for FIFA acknowledging more or less that they did get emails warning them of Nigerias team being susceptble to manipulation
grandverve
Egg
Egg

Post by grandverve »

After watching the BBC2 newsnight programme, the idea that the nigerian match was fixed is very speculative and way below circumstantial. It is all on one random guy saying he received a call from an informant saying the SE will lose....besides that nothing else. Someone from the NFF needs to be suing the "accuser" for defamation. :curse:
"THE GENTILITY OF A LION SHOULD NOT BE TAKEN AS COWARDICE"

A Manchester United FC FANantic - Our history makes us STRONG, your hatred makes us STRONGER
Talk IT
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Talk IT »

Whether it is true or not is not an issue. The issue here is how this news will affect the players? Yakubu's career may just go downhill from here if some people believe this report. He will be the first suspect.
If there were no God, I would not be alive.
And if God is not good, I would have been dead.
dcf1
Egg
Egg

Post by dcf1 »

I'd like to make two general points about match-fixing, based on my long experience with cricket match-fixing.

1) professional match-fixing is impossible to prove in almost all cases: the only way it will get out is by confession, and almost noone dare face the dangers of confessing.

2) the glamour sides are just as susceptible, usually after key players accepted bribe for a minor act in a trivial match (e.g. conceded a throw-in in the 24th minute of a cup tie). We all know that John Terry accepted a £10,000 payment to show an undercover journalist around his club's training ground. Such a person is an obvious target for an offer of say £50,000 to concede a throw-in at a set time in a Carling Cup tie. But once he has done that, he can be forced by threat of exposure (and offers of more money) to do worse things in bigger matches.

The floodlight failures in the EPL in the late nineties showed that Asian betting syndicates were manipulating EPL events. Surely we must all see that they must also have targeted the World Cup.

Personally, I would be very suspicious of all Nigerian players employed in the Russian League, as that is evidently a country with very high levels of corruption. Martins' move to Rubin Kazan today rings an awful lot of alarm bells for me, and Osaze, Odiah, Kaita and Ayila would have been vulnerable too.