Udeze to miss 2 matches...as Utaka arrives Faro

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Robbynice

Post by Robbynice »

wiseone wrote:...I agree with MI5. He should have been dropped....what good is a player that will not feature in two thirds of the group games? ...and what happens if Baba gets injured in game 1? Result = no left back! All the more reason why Melkam should have been included - esp as he can also play in midfield as well. Players that can play in multiple positions are invaluable in tournament scenarios due to the frequent injuries/fatigue/suspensions.
Your head dey house so? How can you drop a key player when you are thinking of playing the maximum number of games(6 games) possible in a competition? And if we want to use your logic what about if Baba gets injuried and Melkam sent in to replace him gets injuries, wouldn't the tournament go on? The bottomline is the coaching crew makes adjustments with the personels that they have. That is what you do in a tournament where your goal is not only to play the maximum number of games possible but also to win them all.
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

...Robbynice - I am not saying that Udeze is not a good player. I am saying that he is of no use if he is BANNED FROM PLAYING FOR TWO THIRDS OF THE GROUP PHASE. You talk of us playing "6 games"...unfortunately before we jump the gun and assume we will play "6 games", we have to play three group games (66% of which Udeze cannot play in). I do not know of a coach that picks players that are suspended. There's no point taking good players....that are banned from playing. What good will a good player do for us while watching his teammates from Row Z in the main stand?

Using my logic - we would have two left backs (none of whom is suspended) both of whom are eligible to play in the first two group games. Under the current status quo - we have ONE left back eligible to play in the first two group games.
MI5
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by MI5 »

Robby,

Another excuse and twist to what about player who will miss key games depending on what happens in the end.... What coaches do we have? Do they have any brains to even know how to make adjustments when it reaches the critical stages? This is a player who disciplinary records shows he should have been removed from the team from the get go, but knwoing Nigeria they will always get away with it... Can you explain why he gets red cards all the time and what is the guarantee he won't get one if teams decides to get under his skin again since he is a easy player to target.. If i was a coach and know how Udeze plays and knows he gets angry quickly i will instruct my players to taunt him well enough for him to get a red card...Don't you think it will work?

When is Kanu reporting to camp?

Robbynice wrote:
wiseone wrote:...I agree with MI5. He should have been dropped....what good is a player that will not feature in two thirds of the group games? ...and what happens if Baba gets injured in game 1? Result = no left back! All the more reason why Melkam should have been included - esp as he can also play in midfield as well. Players that can play in multiple positions are invaluable in tournament scenarios due to the frequent injuries/fatigue/suspensions.
Your head dey house so? How can you drop a key player when you are thinking of playing the maximum number of games(6 games) possible in a competition? And if we want to use your logic what about if Baba gets injuried and Melkam sent in to replace him gets injuries, wouldn't the tournament go on? The bottomline is the coaching crew makes adjustments with the personels that they have. That is what you do in a tournament where your goal is not only to play the maximum number of games possible but also to win them all.
Soldier of Fortune...
Robbynice

Post by Robbynice »

wiseone, not that I am saying you don't have a point but no coach will go to a major tournament without his key players. We have even seen situations where coaches take an injured player(s) to a major tournament because he has been told by team doctors that the player will be fit and ready to play before the competition comes to an end.
Mr Shows
Egg
Egg

Post by Mr Shows »

Wise one,

I hear you but as a coach with limited resources (2 lots of 11 players) you have to make the best of what you have.

The flip side of what you are saying is this, what if CCC did drop Udeze for Melkam and Babayaro gets injured in the 3rd game against Benin (note baba has been quite injury prone of late)? This means that a rookie Melkam will be thown in at the deep end for the rest of the knockout stages.

On the point of converting a m/f player to a Lb. This is why it's good to have a few versatile players in your squad to cover multiple positions, this is what Lawal offers and CCC has followed this logic. Mutiu Adepoju was drafted from m/f to the R/B position in France'98, so there is sense in this.

You keep point to the fact it's irrelevant to have a player that can't feature till game 3 but note Westerhoff only introduced Ammunike in the finals in '94 , to great effect.

Cheers
Robbynice

Post by Robbynice »

Mr Shows wrote:Wise one,

I hear you but as a coach with limited resources (2 lots of 11 players) you have to make the best of what you have.

The flip side of what you are saying is this, what if CCC did drop Udeze for Melkam and Babayaro gets injured in the 3rd game against Benin (note baba has been quite injury prone of late)? This means that a rookie Melkam will be thown in at the deep end for the rest of the knockout stages.

On the point of converting a m/f player to a Lb. This is why it's good to have a few versatile players in your squad to cover multiple positions, this is what Lawal offers and CCC has followed this logic. Mutiu Adepoju was drafted from m/f to the R/B position in France'98, so there is sense in this.

You keep point to the fact it's irrelevant to have a player that can't feature till game 3 but note Westerhoff only introduced Ammunike in the finals in '94 , to great effect.

Cheers
Ol'boy you hit a home run with that last point(paragraph). :)
mister dolly

Post by mister dolly »

Lawal can play the left back role ok and has done so in the past...
pasamu
Egg
Egg

Post by pasamu »

mba no MD NO!! lawal can play leftback like i play the drums........badly. lawal is a defensive midfielder who is left footed. he can play on the left side of the midfield, where he is not bad. he can play left back but as he cannot make good slide tackles he looks clumsy and plays clumsy, any speedy winger will use him to increase his valuation by a few million. his crossing is so hit and miss u are not sure what quality u will get so he is not really a winger. but he is an excellent link player in the middle of the park, he covers for teammates well and does not get fancy for the sake of it. best position is the middle of the park where his one two passes keep things flowing and he can drift into attacking positions. key thing with him is confidence. to me he still plays on how he feels so if he is in the mood he is very good when nervous awful. this should not be the case because with an olympics, two world cups and cup of nation experience he should be a godfather to the younger players instilling confidence in players with his mere presence. unlike many i am glad he is in the squad. hey if you ring tomorrow and i am out do not worry i will get back to u by phone
my times are in HIS hands
VINDAVE

Post by VINDAVE »

I don't like this at all, why must it always be UDENZE?
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Robbynice wrote:wiseone, not that I am saying you don't have a point but no coach will go to a major tournament without his key players. We have even seen situations where coaches take an injured player(s) to a major tournament because he has been told by team doctors that the player will be fit and ready to play before the competition comes to an end.
...in other words the player will be ABLE TO PLAY because he will be fit by the time the tournament. Udeze CANNOT play in the first two games even is he is the fittest man on Planet Earth.
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Mr Shows wrote:Wise one,

Cheers
I said in an earlier post that this was another reason why Melkam should have been picked - because he can play in midfield too.
Dodo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dodo »

MD thanks for the update, with all the other rubbish being opened on threads, urs is a breath of fresh air
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

mister dolly wrote:Lawal can play the left back role ok and has done so in the past...
True in 1996. He is now clubless and slow. If Lawal plays, imagine Eto'o peeling to the left to exploit is lack of pace.
Arsène Wenger at Arsenal, 1996 to 2018. I was there.