Amunike Still Playing

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

General Trousers
Eaglet
Eaglet
Amunike Still Playing

Post by General Trousers »

Favourites make perfect starts in Jordan
Amman - AL FAISALY and Al Wihdat began their 2003/04 Jordan league campaigns in the best possible manner with victories in the first round of matches.

Both teams played against newly promoted sides with defending champions Faisaly given a hard time before edging Yarmouk 2-1, while Wihdat made a big impression with their 3-0 victory against Kufer Soom.

The Jordan Football Association has decided to change the format of its premier league this season to assist the Jordan national team's preparations for the Asian Cup 2004 and the 2006 World Cup Asian qualifiers.

The new format for the league will see the top four teams in the standings at the end of the first stage playing in a “Golden Square” to determine the League Champions while the four teams at the bottom of the table will play in a similar “Relegation Square”.

Faisaly, the reigning champions with 29 titles to their names, found themselves a goal behind in the sixth minute of their match against Yarmouk after Nael Dahla headed home for the visitors.

The defending champions equalized in the 35th minute from the penalty spot with Rateb Awadat scoring on his second attempt after the referee ordered a retake following a save by goalkeeper Amer Shafi on the first attempt.

Hassouna Sheikh scored the winner for Faisaly in the 81st minute with the aid of a deflection off Yarmouk defender Imad Khdour.

Wihdat, who last won the league in 1997, had no problems as they trounced the other promoted side Kufer Soom with Awad Ragheb scoring a brace while Abdullah Deeb added the third goal for his side.

Ragheb scored his first goal in the 28th minute following a powerful shot from Nigerian veteran Immanuel Amoniki, and headed in his second just two minutes from the break.

In the dying minutes of the game, Wehdat starlet Abdullah Deeb netted the third goal for his side with a powerful strike.

Both teams will meet again in the quarter-finals of Jordan Cup next Wednesday.

Jordan League - Round One results:
Al Hussein 0 Al Jazira 0
Al Faisaly 2 Yarmouk 1
Al Ramtha 4 Al Ahli 0
Al Buqaa 1 Shabab Hussein 1
Al Wihdat 3 Kufer Soom 0
Last edited by General Trousers on Fri Dec 26, 2003 4:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Larry Ashagbe

Post by Larry Ashagbe »

Good to see him still playing and scoring.

What a marvelous career that has taken him to almost every corner of the globe.
SylverEagles
Site Admin
Site Admin
Re: Amunike Grabs A Brace

Post by SylverEagles »

General Trousers wrote:Favourites make perfect starts in Jordan
Amman - AL FAISALY and Al Wihdat began their 2003/04 Jordan league campaigns in the best possible manner with victories in the first round of matches.

Both teams played against newly promoted sides with defending champions Faisaly given a hard time before edging Yarmouk 2-1, while Wihdat made a big impression with their 3-0 victory against Kufer Soom.

The Jordan Football Association has decided to change the format of its premier league this season to assist the Jordan national team's preparations for the Asian Cup 2004 and the 2006 World Cup Asian qualifiers.

The new format for the league will see the top four teams in the standings at the end of the first stage playing in a “Golden Square” to determine the League Champions while the four teams at the bottom of the table will play in a similar “Relegation Square”.

Faisaly, the reigning champions with 29 titles to their names, found themselves a goal behind in the sixth minute of their match against Yarmouk after Nael Dahla headed home for the visitors.

The defending champions equalized in the 35th minute from the penalty spot with Rateb Awadat scoring on his second attempt after the referee ordered a retake following a save by goalkeeper Amer Shafi on the first attempt.

Hassouna Sheikh scored the winner for Faisaly in the 81st minute with the aid of a deflection off Yarmouk defender Imad Khdour.

Wihdat, who last won the league in 1997, had no problems as they trounced the other promoted side Kufer Soom with Awad Ragheb scoring a brace while Abdullah Deeb added the third goal for his side.

Ragheb scored his first goal in the 28th minute following a powerful shot from Nigerian veteran Immanuel Amoniki, and headed in his second just two minutes from the break.

In the dying minutes of the game, Wehdat starlet Abdullah Deeb netted the third goal for his side with a powerful strike.

Both teams will meet again in the quarter-finals of Jordan Cup next Wednesday.

Jordan League - Round One results:
Al Hussein 0 Al Jazira 0
Al Faisaly 2 Yarmouk 1
Al Ramtha 4 Al Ahli 0
Al Buqaa 1 Shabab Hussein 1
Al Wihdat 3 Kufer Soom 0
What is this?? A form of misinformation?? Amunike didn't score any of the goals at all!!! :x :x :x
I hope its a honest mistake by u GT :evil: :evil:
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
furiously frank
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by furiously frank »

I hate to play the ethnic card but I can't resist this bait.....Maybe if his name were to be Lawal or Babangida, he would have been on his way to Faro camp now? that is naija for YOu! Saddenning indeed :( :|
"That Justice is a blind goddess
Is a thing to which we blacks are wise.
Her bandage hides two festering sores
That once perhaps were eyes."
Langston Hughes, 1923
mister dolly

Post by mister dolly »

SylverEagles...I think you are misreading GT's highlight as meaning Amunike scored the goals..the thread title says "Amunike still playing" and I believe GT was highlighting his contribution to the goals..nowhere did he claim that Amunike scored any of the goals..
ROSSIKE
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ROSSIKE »

Guys, relax. Whether or not Ammunition scored is utterly irrelevant. The guy appears sharp and perhaps should be given a look-in, despite playing in an unfashionable league.
Imagination is more important than knowledge

- Albert Einstein

SylverEagles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by SylverEagles »

MD,
No i wasn't mistaken, at first the thread title said "Amunike still playing - scores a brace" but now it has been editted.
I did not intend to make a huge fuss about it all, but just to put the record straight. :)

Happy New Year to All in advance. :) :)
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
General Trousers
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by General Trousers »

... there is really no need for a fuss ... correction made, Happy New Year to all :P :P
sarkin doya
Egg
Egg
Re: Amunike Still Playing

Post by sarkin doya »

Furiously Frank,

Based on current form, neither Lawal
nor TJ seem to deserve the callup for the Nations Cup.

However, having said this, many coaches seem to have
this habit of including 1 player who appears to be past
his prime in a major tournament. Examples that come to
mind include: Adepoju (Onigbinde, World Cup 2002);
Ikpeba (Amodu, NationsCup 2002), Amunike (Bonfrere,
NationsCup 2000); Yekini (Mulitinovic (sp?) WorldCup 1998
..there were few others); Keshi (WorldCup 1994);

I'm not sure one can call Lawal/TJ's inclusion in the
list of 40 as motivated by ethnicity. Rather I would say it
is likely motivated by the coach's attachment to past
performances. This is nothing new.

> I hate to play the ethnic card but I can't resist this bait.....
> Maybe if his name were to be Lawal or Babangida, he would
> have been on his way to Faro camp now? that is naija for
> YOu! Saddenning indeed