AIDS in Africa has been wildly exaggerated ..

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

omotori
Egg
Egg
AIDS in Africa has been wildly exaggerated ..

Post by omotori »

this is a report on what we have been saying about AIDS in Africa:

http://209.157.64.200/focus/f-news/1042504/posts
I think it is time to start questioning some of the claims made by the Aids lobby. Their certainties are so fanatical, the powers they claim so far-reaching. Their authority is ultimately derived from computer-generated estimates, which they wield like weapons, overwhelming any resistance with dumbfounding atom bombs of hypothetical human misery. Give them their head, and they will commandeer all resources to fight just one disease. Who knows, they may defeat Aids, but what if we wake up five years hence to discover that the problem has been blown up out of all proportion by unsound estimates, causing upwards of $20 billion to be wasted?
if this report centred on studies in South Africa where they have the best medical tracking data in Africa is sound, it suggests that AIDS in Africa has been dramatically exaggerated.

Still guys, do the right thing & wear raincoat.

another link: http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2004/ ... m=storyrhs
SylverEagles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by SylverEagles »

Omotori, i've always been skeptical of the figures about AIDS in Africa. One can't deny the existence of HIV(AIDS), but my!!! Are those figures exaggerated or what???!!! At one time, they said 14 ppl catch HIV every minute in Nigeria. How ridiculous???!! Are they saying we know nothing of protection and all that???!!
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
omotori
Egg
Egg

Post by omotori »

I never accepted the humongous numbers because they never offered an explanation as to what agent (sharing needles, homo-sexuality, unsafe sex, blood transfusions) is responsible for such a dramatic wave as speculated for Africa.

However, all the agents of HIV are well known & understood in the West. So it left me wondering if there was some type of mosquito, or something in the air/water spreading HIV.

Aside from the massively warped projections, the other aspect is that a lot if not most of the people actually diagnozed as AIDS do not have it. They are mostly likely suffering from other much less deadly diseases like TB or Malaria.

The sad thing about all this is the numaer of people who are misdiagnozed & die needlessly.

Possibly the most shocking stat was to find out that the death-rate as compared to the past had consistently decreased & actual population was consistently higher in areas that had been declared AIDS death-zones .

In the mean time, where has the money gone ?
Chingo Bling
Egg
Egg

Post by Chingo Bling »

well i knew it wa s flawed when i read " in 1992 30% of ugandas population was hiv positive and by 2003 that had reduced to less than 10%, BUT THE POPULATION OF UGANDA HAD GROWN! how can that be possible? or is there an ugandan cure for aids?
kwami
Egg
Egg

Post by kwami »

you ask where the money's gone to obviously to their pockets, finance for their new sporty cars, palaces and the likes then they tell the people that there is progress that has been made by getting drugs for those suffering from the virus honestly and then they start giving these figures telling us that AIDS rate has gone down and yet the situation on the ground is that the rate is ever going up
Akure4Life
Egg
Egg

Post by Akure4Life »

I knew something was fishy when i read somewhere that 20% of Nigerian are HIV positive. That means over 28 million people in Nigeria would Die soon.

Comeon. This is taking the piss.
Akure4Life

Ojota is my hood.
Yettycom
Egg
Egg

Post by Yettycom »

Akure4Life wrote:I knew something was fishy when i read somewhere that 20% of Nigerian are HIV positive. That means over 28 million people in Nigeria would Die soon.

A4L, i'd believe that if i were u. most people dont know the magnitude of this disease in nigeria. let me tell u of my experience.

during my service year in Gombe state, a doctor friend of mine confided in me. He was the doctor in charge of the barracks there and apparently they wanted to recruit. so every applicant had a blood test. the result was staggering, i couldn't believe it. Out of every 10 tested, 6 were positive. 80% of whom were women. i was shocked to say the least.

the worst part is that the military wont tell them the result. they'll just be told that they didn't qualify. these same people who r not aware will keep spreading this disease especially in the north where illiteracy and lack of information is paramount. i believe in about 10yrs time, we'll be facing an epidemic. i also lost a family friend recently and i was dumbfounded when i heard she had AIDS.

so pls overemphasized or exaggerated or not. this is a serious problem.
God is good to me and all who love and follow him.. Amazingly, he's also loving to all those who dont know him. What a mighty God he is!
Yettycom
Egg
Egg

Post by Yettycom »

Akure4Life wrote:I knew something was fishy when i read somewhere that 20% of Nigerian are HIV positive. That means over 28 million people in Nigeria would Die soon.

A4L, i'd believe that if i were u. most people dont know the magnitude of this disease in nigeria. let me tell u of my experience.

during my service year in Gombe state, a doctor friend of mine confided in me. He was the doctor in charge of the barracks there and apparently they wanted to recruit. so every applicant had a blood test. the result was staggering, i couldn't believe it. Out of every 10 tested, 6 were positive. 80% of whom were women. i was shocked to say the least.

the worst part is that the military wont tell them the result. they'll just be told that they didn't qualify. these same people who r not aware will keep spreading this disease especially in the north where illiteracy and lack of information is paramount. i believe in about 10yrs time, we'll be facing an epidemic. i also lost a family friend recently and i was dumbfounded when i heard she had AIDS.

so pls overemphasized or exaggerated or not. this is a serious problem.
God is good to me and all who love and follow him.. Amazingly, he's also loving to all those who dont know him. What a mighty God he is!
omotori
Egg
Egg

Post by omotori »

Heres another good article:

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/717213/posts
Look at AIDS from an African point of view. Imagine yourself in a mud hut, or maybe a tin shack on the outskirts of some sprawling city. There's sewage in the streets, and refuse removal is nonexistent. Flies and mosquitoes abound, and your drinking water is probably contaminated with feces. You and your children are sickly, undernourished and stalked by diseases for which you're unlikely to receive proper treatment. Worse yet, these diseases are mutating, becoming more virulent and drug-resistant. Minor scourge such as diarrhea and pneumonia respond sluggishly to antibiotics. Malaria now shrugs off treatment with chloroquine, which is often the only drug for it available to poor Africans. Some strains of tuberculosis - Africa's other great killer - have become virtually incurable. Now atop all this is AIDS.

According to what you hear on the radio, AIDS is caused by a tiny virus that lurks unseen in the blood for many years, only to emerge in deep disguise: a disease whose symptoms are other diseases, like TB, for instance. Or pneumonia. Running stomach, say, or bloody diarrhea in babies. These diseases are not new, which is why some Africans have always been skeptical, maintaining that AIDS actually stands for "American Idea for Discouraging Sex." Others say nonsense, the scientists are right, we're all going to die unless we use condoms. But condoms cost money and you have none, so you just sigh and hope for the best.

Then one day you get a cough that won't go away, and you start shedding weight at an alarming rate. You know these symptoms. In the past, you could take some pills and they would usually go away. But the medicines don't work anymore. You get sicker and sicker. You wind up in the AIDS ward.

The orthodox scientists, if they could see you lying there, would say your immune system has been destroyed by HIV, allowing the tuberculosis (or whatever) to run riot. The dissidents would say no way - the virus is a harmless creature that just happens to accompany immune-system breakdown caused by other factors, in this case a lifetime of hunger and exposure to tropical pathogens.

Incensed by this, the orthodoxy whistles up a truckload of studies from all over Africa showing that HIV-positive hospital patients die at astronomical rates relative to their HIV-negative counterparts. The dissidents claim to be unimpressed. This proves nothing, they say except that dying hospital patients carry the virus.

The orthodoxy grits its teeth. There's only one way to crush these rebels, and that's to show that AIDS is a new disease that has caused a massive increase in African mortality, which is of course the truth as we know it: 22 million Africans infected, with 14 million more already dead from it.

Nongovernmental AIDS organizations sprang up all across Africa - 570 of them in Zimbabwe, 300 in South Africa, 1,300 in Uganda. By 2000, global spending on AIDS had risen to many billions of dollars a year, and activists were urging the commitment of many billions more, largely to counter the apocalypse in Africa, where 22 million were said to carry the virus and 14 million to have died of it.
omotori
Egg
Egg

Post by omotori »

I beleive this guys research better than I beleive WHO & the other-mega-billion health organizations.

The guy is ingenious. Here is an except on his coffin theory:
Since it was indeed true that the very large numbers of South Africans were dying, then the nation's coffin makers had to be laboring hard to keep pace with growing demand. One newspaper account I found told of a company called Affordable Coffins, purveyor of cheap cardboard caskets, which had more orders than it could fill. But the firm was barely two months old when the story ran, and two rival entrepreneurs who launched similar products a few years back had gone under. "People weren't interested." said a dejected Mr. Rob Whyte. "They wanted coffins made of real wood."

So I called the real-wood firms, three industrialists who manufactured coffins on an assembly line for the national market. "It's quiet," said Kurt Lammerding of GNG Pine Products. His competitors concurred - business was dead, so to speak.

"It's a fact," said Mr. A. B. Schwegman of B&A Coffins. "If you go on what you read in the papers, we should be overwhelmed, but there's nothing. So what's going on? You tell me."

I couldn't, although I suspected it might have something to do with race. Since the downfall of apartheid, in 1994, illegal backyard funeral parlors have mushroomed in the black townships, and my sources couldn't discount the possibility that these outfits were scoring their coffins from the underground economy. So, I called a black-owned firm, Mmabatho Coffins, but it had gone out of business, along with some others I tried calling. This was getting seriously weird. The death rate had almost doubled in the past decade, according to a recent story in South Africa's largest newspaper. "These aren't projections," said the Sunday Times. "These are the facts." And if the facts were correct, I thought, someone somewhere had to be prospering in the coffin trade.

Further inquiries led me to Johannesburg's derelict downtown, where a giant multistory parking garage has recently been transformed into a vast warren of carpentry workshops, each housing a black carpenter, set up in business with government seed money. I wandered around searching for coffin makers, but there were only two. Eric Borman said business was good, but he was a master craftsman who made one or two deluxe caskets a week and seemed to resent the suggestion his customers were the sort of people who died of AIDS. For that, I'd have to talk to Penny. Borman pointed, and off I went, deeper and deeper into the maze. Penny's place was locked up and deserted. Inside, I saw unsold coffins stacked ceiling-high, and a forlorn CLOSED sign hung on a wire.

At that moment, a forbidden thought entered my brain. This may sound crazy to you, thousands of miles away, but put yourself in my shoes. You live in Africa - OK , in the post-colonial twilight of Johannesburg's once-white suburbs, but still, close enough to the AIDS front line. For years, experts tell you that the plague is marching down the continent, coming ever closer. At first nothing happens, but there dawns a day when the HIV estimates start rising around you, and by 2000 the newspapers are telling you that one in five adults on your street is walking dead.

This has to be true, because it's coming from experts, so you start looking for evidence. Laston, the gardener at Number 10, is suspiciously thin, and has a hacking couch that won't go away. On the far side of the golf course, Mrs. Smith has just buried her beloved servant. Mr. Beresford's maid has just died, too. Your cousin Lenny knows someone who owns a factory where all the workers are dying. Your newspapers are regularly predicting that the economy will surely be crippled, and schooling may soon collapse because so many teachers have died.

But then you find yourself staring into Penny's failed coffin workshop and you think, Jesus, maybe something is wrong here...
Naija fan
Egg
Egg

Post by Naija fan »

Irrespective of who one wants to believe, I have absolutely no problem if the numbers are exagerated on the high end. I think that brings awarness to the issue and I will rather have people concerned about the problem rather than being complacent.
"It is not who you are that holds you back, it's who you think you are not."
original skeepolah
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by original skeepolah »

i always wondered how the disease could have spread so fast in so little time...Are they saying we are more out of touch with safe sex than they are??/So they think....I never believed the stats. Anyway it is good to see something or experience somethinf for yourself than take some man's old wives tales.....And then it took longer to sread in usa, canada,germany,and the UK>????????????Please...................... :lol:
The wars fought in the world are only a reflection of the wars fought within people....
RudeBoy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by RudeBoy »

I don't care whether the figures are exaggerated or not. What I do care about is the fact that our people are dying in droves because of of Aids related illnesses and something needs to be done to address the problem!

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke (1729 – 1797)

Among a people generally corrupt liberty cannot long exist - Edmund Burke (1729 – 1797)
original skeepolah
Eaglet
Eaglet

RudeBoy wrote:I don't care whether the figures are exaggerated or not. What I do care about is the fact that our people are dying in droves because of of Aids related illnesses and something needs to be done to address the problem!
Good one rudeboy.....Makes a lot of sense. That is the reality..people are still dying.................. :(
omotori
Egg
Egg

Post by omotori »

I hear you. Whether its AIDS or not a lot of our people have been dying from disease.

Exagerating the AIDS threat has actually diverted attention from Malaria, TB & other diseases. What makes it worse is that a lot of people are apparently being mis-diagnosed with AIDS, hence not receving the proper (much cheaper) treatment. And dying needlessly. The reality is that most of the people who are said to have died of AIDS actually died of something else.

Then the fraud of the whole AIDS industry that blows up the threat to scam money.

The drug companies likewise are in the scam too. They would like to divert attention from the fact that many of their medications are no longer effective because the Malaria, TB & other viruses have mutated. So they can sell more expensive AIDS medications.

Never mind the stigma that paints Africans collectively a diseased dying hopeless people.

This is just another chapter in the exploitation of Africans by Africans & non-African alike.

As the picture clears on AIDS in Africa, the extent of the scam will be made known, One thing we can be sure of is that at the end of the day, the nature AIDS in Africa has an entirely different character from AIDS in the USA or Europe. So different that I can confidently say at this point that we are talking about two different categories of disease. In the African case, however, the impact & extent has been dramatically manufactured for financial & political purposes.

What they call AIDS in Africa is mostly curable, whereas in Europe & the US it is not.
original skeepolah
Eaglet
Eaglet

Sad indeed Omotori. as for african leaders and heads of health ministries, they had better get ways to control this diseases instead of fattening their bellie and bank accounts, and posing on pedestals and podiums. The diseases aforementioned by omtori above have been eradicated(another oword for controlled, not eliminated) around the western world. Even if you talk to people here, sometimes people can still test positive for TB,smallpox,malaria, but no fear!!!!!!!!!!!It can be contained.
Our medical resources and power can be collectively combined to find a cure for these dreaded illnesse, because while we are ignoring one another creeps its ugly head into our homes (aka aids,etc) :|
The wars fought in the world are only a reflection of the wars fought within people....
omotori
Egg
Egg

Post by omotori »

as for african leaders and heads of health ministries, they had better get ways to control this diseases instead of fattening their bellie and bank accounts, and posing on pedestals and podiums.
Skeepolah, sometimes, we are our own worst enemy. On the other hand its good that Mbeki of South Africa began questioning the AIDS matter a few years ago.
Yettycom
Egg
Egg

Post by Yettycom »

As i pointed out earlier, this thing is real. it might be exaggerated in other countries. but one thing i'll let u know is that there's not been d same level of publicity/awareness in Nigeria.

can u imagine that i still have people who tell me they dont believe in it and it's a "white-man's" disease. God help us.

My advice to everybody single is to "ABSTAIN" and to those married, please and please, keep to ur partner alone. i dont subscribe to the logic of "wearing rubber". anything can happen. it fit burst/leak. especially in this country where fake and expired are in abundance.
RudeBoy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by RudeBoy »

Yettcom be honest how can you preach to a guy to "abstain" from sex? You are on a hiding to nothing right from the beginning. Wetin you man and woman go do? Meditate? In these times it is not possible. What you need to do is to preach what you don't believe in i.e. if yopu want some love better use a glove! i.e use a rubber!

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke (1729 – 1797)

Among a people generally corrupt liberty cannot long exist - Edmund Burke (1729 – 1797)
tolahs
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by tolahs »

Charity & money and we Africans as the gateway; Interesting how cities that cannot give you figures of newly born kids over a week, can't give an estimate on the number of people infected by malaria etc can suddenly give you HIV infected numbers with a straight face:things that me say ummm!!
Aids is serious business: got to use your coat for the dance but truths must be told about how figures are gathered.We're dirt poor no doubt but charities need to come clean on procedures.
If I give you a good wine, you will see how it tastes and after you ask where it comes from,'' ""To put players in my team who are not good enough will not strengthen the England team, and would weaken the Arsenal team.''The only thing I can say is that whenever England do not win it is always my fault,even when I am not at the game".Wenger said.
Chimurenga Rebel
Egg
Egg

Post by Chimurenga Rebel »

Aids in Africa widly exaggerated? I am surprised that many Africans are still in a state of denial like this.
Omotori I don't how it is Nigeria but in Southern Africa AIDS is a real and present danger and it is by no means exaggerated.
"Just call me the Chimurenga Man. A guerilla. Soldier of peace.Man of the people. I write love poems with the barrel of my gun. For Africa always." - Japheth Ncube
omotori
Egg
Egg

Post by omotori »

Tinaye,
millions of people in Africa with tuberculosis, malaria, dysentry & other curable diseases are routinely being mis-diagnozed with AIDS.

AND THEY ARE DYING NEEDLESSLY AS A RESULT. THIS IS AN UNDISPUTABLE FACT. MISDIAGNOSIS WITH AIDS NOW RANKS AS ONE OF THE GREATEST INJUSTICES ON AFRICANS EVER.

that is the real disaster.

and please stop the lies on this "white supemacist" AIDS hysteria.
RudeBoy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by RudeBoy »

Omotori, please tell me how this is a misjustice on Africa? No be Africans put themselves in that palava? Aren't there over 45 African governments? What are they doing about it?