AIDS in Africa has been wildly exaggerated ..

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

tolahs
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by tolahs »

--------------------------------------------------------------------Cellular, with respect no one's pretending AIDS isn't widespread. i for one have got serious questions about how figures are produced.
A few years ago the Sunday Times(UK) did an expose' about falsification of figures in Africa. It involved a French couple who'd help break the news about HIV/AIDS originally. They confessed that the # of infected claimed exceeded the population of that part of Uganda/Tanzania etc..

Giving money to a corrupt system cures no one. You've to accept Charities aren't necessarily staffed by well intentioned people. The agendas of many in the AIDS movement of South Africa cannot be underestimated.
The left often like the right don't debate, they're dogmatic hence Mbeki has become a monster for asking questions. the right see opposition as "commies" while the left see opposition as bigots.
You've to question where the present funds going in to Africa ends up amongst other things.
Our politicos don't represent us in deeds - their Bank accounts show that. The education should start with guys who refuse to wear coats for the dance. As long as poverty exists people'll have unprotected sex be it in the USA,Uk etc
If I give you a good wine, you will see how it tastes and after you ask where it comes from,'' ""To put players in my team who are not good enough will not strengthen the England team, and would weaken the Arsenal team.''The only thing I can say is that whenever England do not win it is always my fault,even when I am not at the game".Wenger said.
original skeepolah
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by original skeepolah »

Were you the Nigerian???????????????????? :mrgreen:
The wars fought in the world are only a reflection of the wars fought within people....
Molue Conductor
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Molue Conductor »

i'm yet to catch chicken pox
Egg
Egg

Post by Yettycom »

Scourge wrote:i'm yet to catch chicken pox
for ur sake, i hope u dont. not pleasant at all
God is good to me and all who love and follow him.. Amazingly, he's also loving to all those who dont know him. What a mighty God he is!
Makanaky
Egg
Egg

Post by Makanaky »

omotori wrote:Mankinka,

Let me tell you something. You should just shut your trap if you cannot add any data or evidence or analysis to the discussion.

Your post is nothing but anecdote & its totally meaningless. And people who make such statements as you did with no reasoned analysis on such a grave matter are basically morons.

I am sorry for being so harsh but I have decided that Africans who claim to be educated should use their brains instead of talking rubbish.

There is plenty of information & data out there.

USE YOUR BLOODY HEAD & ADD SOME INTELLIGENCE TO THE DISCISSION INSTEAD OF MEANINGLESS ANECTODES
Abeg omotori you must learn not to get emotional when debating these issues, you will only get exasperated.
Take it easy man, listen to Bob Marley or better still watch the IL's retain the ANC over the next few weeks in Tunisia.
Nkono, Kunde, Massing, Tataw, Ebwelle , Pagal,Mbida, Mfede, Mbouh,Makanaky,Kana-Biyik,Oman-Biyik, Ekeke, Milla,.....Too Strong to be Intimidated, Too Stong to be defeated! Indomitable!!!! Marc Viven-Foe R.I.P!!!
omotori
Egg
Egg

Post by omotori »

Makanaky,

Sorry that was a hot moment for me.

I know too many stories of people who have died in Nigeria from misdiagnosis of illnesses ranging from simple to complex.

And there is no reasonable person who can look at the data & not conclude that the numbers are exagerrated (most probably wildly) as well as that there is major mis-diagnosis going on. People are dying uneccesasarily. Too many people.

practically anyone in Africa today who falls sick, loses weight & does not quickly respond to medication (often fake or simply inappropriate due to misdiagnosis or due to the drug resistant viruses around today) is likely to become an AIDS statistic. And they will die either from a normally curable disease or from the psychological burden of beleiving they have AIDS.

This is a bigger trgedy in fact than AIDS itself and some people just cannot see it.
peppersoup
Egg
Egg

Post by peppersoup »

I think we are losing sight of this problem when this kind of carnage is reduced to statistics. For crying out loud, it is someone's life somewhere that is being snuffed out! What we have to understand that most of the figures/stat we talking about are ESTIMATES. It is nobody's business that we aren't keeping records. I don't believe someone will just come up that and dream up numbers without no basis. As at 1991 when I got admission to OAU, Ife and I had to do my medical test, It was reported that about 16 students then were HIV positive... that was 1991- 13 years ago! Until recently, how many people uses condom in a place like Nigeria? Do you know what those 13 peope can do to a population of about 20,000 then. I still remember that till when I left the college no barber then at Awo hall or anywhere on campus sterilizes their clipper! People use the same equipment to cut hair and Shave!
Yes, there could be errors in figures sometimes but I don't think it is exaggerrated in the proportion some people here are making us to believe.
Many people die of ailment in Nigeria that people don't even care to find out the real deal. You think the general hospital at a place like Akure will take time to do HIV test? They will just ask you to get some panadol/chloroquine and ask you to go back home. You must be dreaming! How many times has someone died and you hear about any autopsy? The deal is to talk about a witch in the village that drank his blood. Even the naija population that government spend millions of dollars to conduct was still grossly estimated, so who will you blame for not keeping records? For every 1 person that died of AIDS and was discovered, 4 is already dead of same with people attributing it to all kind of things.