This people must go ........read

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

authority
Egg
Egg
This people must go ........read

Post by authority »

Contact Us | Members | Search | Subscribe | Disclaimer |

THE GUARDIAN
CONSCIENCE, NURTURED BY TRUTH
LAGOS, NIGERIA. Friday, January 16 2004

news

editorial/opinion

politics & people

focus/record

business

sports

metro

capital market

weekend

golf weekly

Guardian Chat
Click to join the chatroom

Bello-Osagie psyches up Obodo, other dropped players
As Ikedia relishes beating Babangida to it
By Clement Nwankpa Jnr
ONE man's meat, they say, could be another's poison. The hottest sports news making the rounds at the moment could be the final list of 22 players released by Super Eagles' Chief Coach Christian Chuwku for the Nations Cup.

While the whole attention will be lavished on the players that made the list, not many would reckon with those who did not.

One man who has taken it upon himself to psyche up the dropped players is Eagles' Team co-ordinator Sumonu Bello-Osagie.

Speaking to The Guardian from the team's Ria Park Hotel camp in Faro Portugal yesterday, Bello Osagie pointed out that he had battled to ensure the players did not get demoralised.

His words: "I know how crushing it will be to come so close making the Nations Cup list and being dropped, so I tried psyching the boys up. I have been so close to these players over the years that I understand their psychology. There is the possibility that a player could see the next Nations Cup being too far for him to play at the big stage. The player could be so discouraged if nobody talks to him at that point. That is what I have been doing with the players since the list was released."

He continued: "While trying to psyche them up, I reminded them what Kanu and Taribo told me in 1994. They were both in the Super Eagles' camp during the World Cup qualifiers. They didn't play the matches and at the end of the day, they could not make the World Cup list. Kanu had told me then that when it is your time, it is your time. Those days, Kanu and Taribo could have been so easily dropped but today the national team cannot do without them.

"I tried to let the dropped players know that they are still young and could make many Nations Cup squads in the years ahead. Such a time will come when like Kanu and Taribo, they will become regulars in the team."

Bello-Osagie picked particular interest in the duo of Perugia's Christian Obodo and Hansa Rostock's Gabriel Melkam.

"I talked to these two specially because they were good during training and I am happy they saw reasons with me."

On Melkam, Bello-Osagie said: "Melkan said he was very happy that this is the first time he is being invited to the national team. He observed that the invitation will give his career a boost, saying that the experience gained during the camping could not be quantified in monetary terms."

In Bello-Osagie's opinion, Melkam's dropping may not have been completely misplaced.

"You know he is a left full back and there is no way you can drop either Ifeanyi Udeze or Celestine Babayaro for him. He understands all these and believes he could get his fair share of playing time in the years ahead," he pointed out.

Like Melkam, Obodo believes things can only get better in the years ahead.

Bello-Osagie said: "Obodo told me that being young there is enough time to make an impact in the national team. He may have worked forward to making the list this time but he really understands the situation."

Meanwhile, Obodo left for his Italy-based at about 10.15 a.m. yesterday.

"Obodo has just left (yesterday) and he wants his fans to watch out for him in the years ahead. He wants to get back to his base, get his club career on track and look ahead to the future. Melkam will leave for Germany tomorrow (today). By this weekend, the other drooped players particularly the home-based will return when their flight is confirmed," he noted.

If Bello-Osagie's words are anything to go by, the dropped players may get a lift in their career, thanks to the invitation.

"Many club scouts are there to watch the young boys. The scouts were impressed with what they saw and most of the players could go on trials immediately after this exercise. So they did not actually lose anything being dropped. They all know this and instead of being dampened, they are giving thanks to God for the opportunity to be involved in the Faro Camp."

Some of the players who could be on the verge of clubs breakthrough after the exercise are Iwuanyawu Nationale's captain Bob Osim, Bertha Jerusalem's Chuwudi Nworgu, Rangers Sam Okoye and Oge Iloagu, Enyimba's Ekene Ezenwa, Rotimi Sunday of Sunshine Stars, Julius Berger's Seyi Olajemigbesi, Ahmed Garba of Kano Pillars, Peterborough's Ogbonna Kanu and Aliyu Mohammed.

Addressing the players, Chief Coach Christian Chukwu hailed their performance during the programme and urged them to remain focused.

Bello-Osagie continued: "Chukwu said that if he had his way, he would have taken the whole players to the Nations Cup considering their form but pointed tout that CAF needed only 22. He told them there will always be a second chance."

U.S.-based Bello-Osagie, who has been involved with the national team for about a decade, pointed out that the unity in camp is unrivalled.

"In the past, players would leave camp unceremoniously but this was not the case here. The atmosphere in camp is calm and even the dropped players did not leave with any grudge."

In a related development, one of the players who made the list, RBC Rosendaal's Pius Ikedia is so elated at his selection, so says Bello-Osagie.

"You know Ikedia was only drafted in after Muyiwa Lawal pulled out due to injury. He (Ikedia) is particularly happy considering the fact that he beat the like of Tijani Babangida to it. You see, that is what I have been telling these younger players who were dropped. In the past, Babangida and Finidi used to bench Ikedia. If it were then, Ikedia would not have made this team as Babangida would have been picked but you see, the young shall grow and today, Ikedia is being selected ahead of Babangida. Any other player could get that chance one day", he counselled.

© 2003 - 2004 @ Guardian Newspapers Limited (All Right Reserved).