Senegal at full strength

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin
Senegal at full strength

Post by YUJAM »

Senegal at full strength

Salif Diao will play in Senegal's friendly against South Africa
Senegal's French coach Guy Stephan says that he will use a full strength side for Sunday's friendly against South Africa.
Stephan says that all the Teranga Lions' foreign-based stars have now arrived in Dakar for their training camp ahead of the Cup of Nations in Tunisia.

"We have a full complement of all players from abroad and that's great," Stephan said.

"You can call it an advantage considering that key players for a few countries are still with their overseas clubs."

Several other countries like Nigeria have not been able to get all their overseas stars into camp.

Liverpool midfielder Salif Diao is keen to get things started.

"We're looking forward to the game and we think it will be a good one," he said.

Senegal's opponents, South Africa, on the other hand have had a less than perfect build-up with an ongoing row over the sacking of coach Ephraim 'Shakes' Mashaba.

Senegal are set to leave for Tunisia on 21 January ahead of their opening match against Burkina Faso five days later, they will then play Kenya and Mali in Group B.

Bafana Bafana start their campaign on 27 January against Benin and then face Nigeria and Morocco in Group D.
mlkama
Egg
Egg

Post by mlkama »

Yujam,

I saw the lineup you foresee for Senegal in another thread. Do you really see Diouf becoming the playmaker with two guys playing infront? That means Cisse is also on the bench, as well as Malick Diop?

Interesting....
Waffiman wrote: PS: Milla couldn't hold a candle to Manga Onguene or Theophile "Docteur" Abega .
Dodo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dodo »

Well, the juices are beginning to flow as kick off is only a stone throw away, Ladies, let the battles commence
ugly boy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ugly boy »

while baba is clubbing in london and kanu and okocha and yakubu are yet to show up...Udeze is back with his club... and we will ask again..how did senegal and cameroon beat us...................mumus
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

Mlkama:
Actually, Diop will prolly start since he is an excellent Libero. He was just named best Libero in French Div 2. BTW, I think Sakho will be the play maker. That boy has skillz to go! Cisse will prolly be on the bench. Diawara is too good to be left out of the starting line-up

Most likely the line-up will be closer to sthg like this:

-------------------------------Sylva--------------------------------------------------------

---------------Diawara ---------Diop------------Diatta-----------------------------------

--Diouf--------Diop------------------Diao----------Sakho--------------Daf---------

-------------------------Camara ----------------Kamara/Niang-------------------
Ghana's First President Kwame Nkrumah said: "We face neither East nor West; we face Forward"
omonoba
Egg
Egg

Post by omonoba »

Senegal's group will probably have the most interesting matches in the group stages of this competition. Senegal - B.faso ; Senegal - Mali, Mali - B.Faso are all matches that guarantee fireworks
Dodo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dodo »

i am eagerly awaiting Senegal v Mali
Cross
Egg
Egg

Post by Cross »

Senegal could go all the way.
They have the talent, strength, team spirit and a fairly good FA.
However, what they lack is the "spirit of champions" and that is what teams like Cameroon, Egypt and Nigeria have. I wish them luck b/c this is a good opportunity to win. The SE won't be a push over in 2006 because by then the change of batton between the young and the old and the blooding of the Utakas and Osazes and the Seyis would be nearing completion. And their present generation of players would be nearing the end of their best days, a condition we have been suffering since Mali 2002.
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

Cross:
Senegal do have the fighting spirt very much like Nigeria and Cameroon! In general ppl from these countries have a never say die attitude and would rather die on the field than be disgraced!
Ghana's First President Kwame Nkrumah said: "We face neither East nor West; we face Forward"
so__so_scandalous
Egg
Egg

Post by so__so_scandalous »

Cross wrote:Senegal could go all the way.
They have the talent, strength, team spirit and a fairly good FA.
However, what they lack is the "spirit of champions" and that is what teams like Cameroon, Egypt and Nigeria have. I wish them luck b/c this is a good opportunity to win. The SE won't be a push over in 2006 because by then the change of batton between the young and the old and the blooding of the Utakas and Osazes and the Seyis would be nearing completion. And their present generation of players would be nearing the end of their best days, a condition we have been suffering since Mali 2002.
I have to admit I expected them to fizzle out after wc2003 but they have a wealth of talent - it's hard to say how far they'll go at this competition. My money's still on tunisia making the final at least.
Cross
Egg
Egg

Post by Cross »

Yujam: It's not all about fighting spirit.
When the game gets tough, they should control their temparament individually and as a team.
When France was one goal down to Italy at Euro2000, if they lost it during the course of play they wouldn't have equalized and won.
Cameroon has shown such mentality and control in several games. Nigeria as u know even while losing still play their game.
Sometimes, the difference between winners and losers could be all about attitude.
nemi2002
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Senegal at full strength

Post by nemi2002 »

YUJAM wrote:Senegal at full strength
color=red]
Several other countries like Nigeria have not been able to get all their overseas stars into camp. [/color]
Why NFA dey always embarass us, na only us get players for EPL
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

Cross:
That trait comes with experience. I watched Nigeria's early WC experiences and those of Cameroon too. Nuff said! 8)
It's not all about fighting spirit.
When the game gets tough, they should control their temparament individually and as a team.
When France was one goal down to Italy at Euro2000, if they lost it during the course of play they wouldn't have equalized and won.
Cameroon has shown such mentality and control in several games. Nigeria as u know even while losing still play their game.
Sometimes, the difference between winners and losers could be all about attitude.
Cross
Egg
Egg

Post by Cross »

Yujam:
I'm happy u understand my point. I personally BELIEVE that the strength of Senegal right now is higher than that of any team in Africa. They have a very dependable defence, robust and creative midfield and a potent attack. ....and a physical presence which is important at the ANC.

So i would be the least surprised if they go all the way.
Talking about ATTITUDE, Nigeria has it but Cameroon has it more and we have to learn from them.
okjazz
Egg
Egg

Post by okjazz »

omonoba wrote:Senegal's group will probably have the most interesting matches in the group stages of this competition. Senegal - B.faso ; Senegal - Mali, Mali - B.Faso are all matches that guarantee fireworks
I guess Kenya are non starters eh ? No fireworks in any game involving Kenya ?
Paveman
Egg
Egg

Post by Paveman »

Yujam: How is Diomansy Kamara rated within the Senegal squad. If it was me, he'd walk into the Senegal XI
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

Very high. He is a starter!
Yujam: How is Diomansy Kamara rated within the Senegal squad. If it was me, he'd walk into the Senegal XI
mlkama
Egg
Egg

Post by mlkama »

I think they have a great squad and I would love for us to meet them again at some stage in the competition.

We have to win our group and hope Nigeria do the same so we can go on to meet in the finals. If one team wins and the other is second, then we have to meet in the quarterfinals. Haba Haba Haba....
Waffiman wrote: PS: Milla couldn't hold a candle to Manga Onguene or Theophile "Docteur" Abega .
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

mlkama wrote:I think they have a great squad and I would love for us to meet them again at some stage in the competition.

We have to win our group and hope Nigeria do the same so we can go on to meet in the finals. If one team wins and the other is second, then we have to meet in the quarterfinals. Haba Haba Haba....
I just figured that out via the bbc predictor... If naija meets cameroon in the quarters, that will be a shame... but somehow, i think Nigeria will be better off meeting Cameroon in the quarters than in the finals....
Cross
Egg
Egg

Post by Cross »

Either way, Cameroon will cane us especially with enyeama as our GK.
MYMIND
Egg
Egg

Post by MYMIND »

YUJAM wrote:Mlkama:
Actually, Diop will prolly start since he is an excellent Libero. He was just named best Libero in French Div 2. BTW, I think Sakho will be the play maker. That boy has skillz to go! Cisse will prolly be on the bench. Diawara is too good to be left out of the starting line-up

Most likely the line-up will be closer to sthg like this:

-------------------------------Sylva--------------------------------------------------------

---------------Diawara ---------Diop------------Diatta-----------------------------------

--Diouf--------Diop------------------Diao----------Sakho--------------Daf---------

-------------------------Camara ----------------Kamara/Niang-------------------
Yujam is Fadiga not healthy yet?
Okochadman2Nas
Egg
Egg

Post by Okochadman2Nas »

Cross wrote:Either way, Cameroon will cane us especially with enyeama as our GK.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

Aparently, Fadiga just started training again. Lamin Sakho will play Fadiga's position, starting tomorrow against S Africa.
Yujam is Fadiga not healthy yet?