Some in Europe think ANC is rubbish

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

nanijoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nanijoe »

Senegal were runners-up, and the team that beat them at the World Cup was Turkey, who have now been put in their rightful lowly place by little Latvia.
Senegal also beat the then defending WC champions. In '98 Nigeria beat the much vaunted Spain, and crushed eventual semi-finalists Bulgaria in '94. Cameroun beat Argentina in '90, Morroco crushed Portugal in '86 .. Cameroun drew with eventual winners Itali in '82 and Tunisia beat W. Germany in '78

This brings me back to my 'home field' advantage theory. No European country has ever won the WC outside Europe, and they usually have more than half of the team at the WC.
I daresay that if Africa had 10 representatives at the WC and it was played in Africa, I gaurantee that at least 2 of the semi-finalists will be African countries.
Before you jump down my throat, tell me which of the following 10 countries you think is incapable of getting a result against Turkey, Spain, South Korea or the USA (all q-fianlists at WC 2002)

Nigeria
Cameroun
Senegal
S-Africa
Egypt
Tunisia
Ghana
Cote D'Ivoire
Mali
Zambia
DR Congo
Enugu II

Post by Enugu II »

My opinion is that Mark Gleeson is writing rubbish. The games appeared boring specifically because of ultra defensive tactics now being used by many of the teams but that is only copying what is considered European. Furthermore, Gleeson was one of those who reckoned that the display in mali indicates that Africa's teams would get a pasting in Korea/Japan. It never happened.
Tunisian Gooner
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tunisian Gooner »

Mali 2000 had it bad momemts like any major tournament ala Italia 90 and SK/Japan 2002 but there were also quite a few intense affairs.

Nigeria tops Arch rival Ghana in the dying minutes with an absolute cracker from one of my former favoritve Taraji aka Esperance players one Gabra Lawal.

Mali trashing South Africa I believe 2-0 was fantastic as te atmosphere in Bamako was outstanding.

The Semi-Final between Nigeria and Senegal was simply a classic from Diao opener to MR.Clutch aka another former Esperance player one Julies Agahowa's equaliser. That's without even mentioning the remarkable extratime.

Many have the perception that Africans are stupid and there football should be stupid as well. The idea that Africans are tactially intellegent boggles the mind on many outside the continant, Africans playing with a 4-4-2, 3-5-2, 3-4-2-1 etc etc what's the World coming to? African nations should just play a 1-1-8 and all games should end 9-8 and 10-7 otherwise why bother watching? :roll: :roll: :roll:
Detective Bunk Moreland

'The bigger the lie, the more they believe'