Cybereagles

The Undisputed Number One Home for All Super Eagles Fans
It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:52 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2003 11:56 pm
Posts: 9470
Sir Alex Ferguson claims criticism of referee was 'fair comment'

• Manchester United victims of 'terrible' decisions, says manager

* Daniel Taylor
* guardian.co.uk, Wednesday 30 March 2011 18.48 BST
* Article history

Sir Alex Ferguson has maintained that the Football Association was unjust in punishing him for his criticism of referees, saying he was guilty of nothing more than "fair comment" and reiterating his belief that Manchester United have been the victim of "terrible" decisions.

"You've just got to be careful that you don't have paranoia about it," said a manager who continues to show no sign of remorse for incurring five disciplinary charges from the FA in as many years because of his hostility towards referees.

Ferguson's outburst about Martin Atkinson's handling of United's defeat at Chelsea this month has led to a five-match touchline ban, a record punishment for a manager criticising a referee in the media.

Part of that comes from having a two-match ban hanging over him as a suspended sentence from a previous FA charge, when he described another referee, Alan Wiley, as physically unfit to officiate at the top level in October 2009.

The FA hearing into his latest case noted how Ferguson had not shown any regret for stating that Atkinson should not have been appointed for the Chelsea game because the occasion demanded "a fair referee". Ferguson's legal adviser, Graham Bean, has since described the governing body as "like a communist state".

"If you speak your mind, it's a problem in the game," Ferguson said. "The FA is very strong in supporting the referees and, in a way, I agree with that but there has to be fair comment also. I try to do that."

Ferguson remains aggrieved by Atkinson's refereeing at Stamford Bridge, noting that the same official also made a series of decisions allegedly in Chelsea's favour in the corresponding fixture last season.

The two sides meet again at Stamford Bridge in the Champions League next week. Before that Ferguson will serve the second game of his ban, when the league leaders resume their challenge for a record 19th title at West Ham United on Saturday, and he will subsequently have to suffer the ignominy of being the first manager to be banned from Wembley's dug-out when he takes his side back to London for the FA Cup semi-final against Manchester City on 16 April.

That match will see Carlos Tevez facing the club he left in acrimonious circumstances and Ferguson could not resist taking a swipe at the Argentinian's representatives as he reflected on the circumstances that led to the player asking for a transfer from City earlier this season.

Almost certainly referring to Kia Joorabchian, Ferguson said: "Knowing the background, the people representing him, I'm not surprised."

Tevez's future in Manchester has been shrouded in doubt since the affair blew up but Ferguson, who also reiterated his belief that "retirement was for young people," was impressed by the way City dealt with a difficult situation.

"I don't think that Manchester City would want to let him go," he added in an interview with ESPN. "He's had a great time there, he's been their top scorer, their best player for the last two years, so why would they want to sell him?

"I think City addressed that situation a few months ago and it seems to have calmed down, as far as I know. You don't know everything at every club, but it seems to have settled down and, in [Roberto] Mancini, they have a strong manager who can deal with that."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:32 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2003 5:51 pm
Posts: 12408
Ok ooooo


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:53 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2004 9:16 am
Posts: 18931
Location: Canada
The FA are dieing for a Fergie apology but he's stuck to his guns and I'm fully in support. It's time the bullies realize how ridiculous their stance is. You cannot stick a mic in front of a grown man (talkless Sir Alex) and expect him not to be honest. He told the truth, even tried to be politically correct, why would they want someone to talk yet gaggle him at the same time? It's ridiculous. You want the tv money from his interviews yet don't want to hear the truth. Ban him for 5, next time ban him for 10 games. Maybe the embarassment will eventually cos them to do something and we'll get better referees.

_________________
"Winning one trophy is good, I tell you. No matter what trophy it might be, you've got to take it.” - Sir Alex Ferguson

ENGLISH PREMIERSHIP CHAMP20NS, UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE WINN3RS


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:59 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2003 11:29 am
Posts: 3667
is this April's fool or what?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2003 11:56 pm
Posts: 9470
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/footba ... -Bean.html

Sir Alex Ferguson is being victimised by the Football Association, says disciplinary adviser Graham Bean
The Football Association has been accused of applying double standards when disciplining Manchester United and their manager as Sir Alex Ferguson prepares to serve the second game of his five-match touchline ban on Saturday.
Sir Alex Ferguson is being victimised by the Football Association, says disciplinary adviser Graham Bean

Mark Ogden
By Mark Ogden 6:15AM BST 01 Apr 2011


Ferguson was fined £30,000 and banished to the stands for five games last month after criticising referee Martin Atkinson and calling for a “fair referee” following the 2-1 defeat at Chelsea on March 1.

But Ferguson’s disciplinary adviser, the former FA compliance officer Graham Bean, claims the FA is guilty of taking excessive action against Manchester United because of their profile as England’s most powerful club.

Bean, whose Football Factors company also advises Liverpool and other clubs, claims that the FA has punished Ferguson while overlooking similarly critical comments by Tottenham manager Harry Redknapp and Wigan’s Roberto Martínez.

Bean told Telegraph Sport: “Where it goes seriously wrong for the FA is that there have been cases of managers in the Premier League making comments which have been a clear implication of bias against the referee, or questioning the referee, yet virtually nothing has been done.

“The FA has serious questions to answer in terms of why they have not taken action against other individuals.
Related Articles

“There are two cases which we referred to in Ferguson’s defence against the Atkinson charge.

Firstly, Roberto Martínez — three days before Ferguson made his comments at Chelsea — claimed after Wayne Rooney had clashed with James McCarthy that one of his players ‘would have been lucky to stay on the pitch’ had he committed the foul.

“That was a clear allegation of bias towards Manchester United, but the FA did nothing about it.


Harry Redknapp, making comments about the referee and assistant after Nani scored a controversial goal at Old Trafford against Spurs earlier this season, said, ‘They [officials] will go in and come up with a story that will make it all look right, that’s what happens’.

“That was clearly worse, one of the major comments of the season, yet the FA did absolutely nothing about it other than send him a letter. That comment in itself suggested collusion between the match officials.


“The FA says it treats each case on it merits, but in effect they have bottled it on many occasions in terms of dealing with post-match comments by managers. That’s because they move the goalposts to suit themselves.”

In response, an FA spokesman said: “Consideration is given to any comments reported to us and all comments are reviewed in their entirety, taking into account the full context in which they were delivered.”

Ferguson imposed a nine-day media blackout after being charged for his comments about Atkinson, but Bean insists that the Scot’s move was because of his belief that the FA’s disciplinary process is guided by media coverage.

Following his punishment for labelling Alan Wiley as “unfit” to referee in October 2009, which resulted in a two-match touchline ban plus a further two games suspended — triggered by the Atkinson penalty — Ferguson was warned by the FA that his increased profile brought with it increased responsibility.

But Bean claims that Ferguson and United should not be judged on the basis of their profile. “The FA reacts to media pressure and Alex believes that,” Bean said. “In all of his disciplinary issues we have made a point of noting that the media coverage of Manchester United is out of comparison to every other club in the country — it’s twentyfold bigger and that causes problems in itself.

“They are being punished because of their profile and not because of what they have done. In the Atkinson case, the penalty did not fit the crime.


“While the FA might say that Sir Alex or the club should know better, that’s not the way it should be.”


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2003 9:22 pm
Posts: 40118
bakana wrote:
is this April's fool or what?



It must be :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

_________________
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 1:57 am
Posts: 31860
Location: Not Here
This is like bil gates complaining that he cannot afford something

_________________
_________________
Oyibo na Oyibo


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:53 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 30, 2004 2:01 am
Posts: 36626
Location: Eagles' Nest
I think this is Sir Ferguson's version of April's fool... :twisted:

_________________
Image
DEM GO HEAR WEN!!! © Robbynice

We don't all have to serve or even honor the call to serve but don't boo those that choose to honor the call to serve...© Cellular 2009

"I do not think I know everything about football but I have massive experience." - Arsene Wenger


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2003 11:56 pm
Posts: 9470
The ABU brigade out in force...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 6:48 am
Posts: 25729
Location: Forbidden City
Nonsense... Yeye Man U team always looking for favours....

_________________
Soldier of Fortune...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:31 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2004 4:19 pm
Posts: 39864
I wonder what he has to say about the PK they were given ?

_________________
Ayton Senna wrote:
On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' As soon as you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high - Ayton Senna




FORZA JUVE


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2004 7:01 pm
Posts: 23261
Location: Copacabana
juventuss wrote:
I wonder what he has to say about the PK they were given ?

Nothing. Since West Ham got a penalty gift too.

_________________
Image
*** Every child is A STAR! ***
SUPER EAGLES - Fly Above the Storm!!!
----------------------------------------------------------------
* 3SC * COD UNITED * MAN UTD * CORINTHIANS *


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2003 11:56 pm
Posts: 9470
The offside Drogba goal that cost Man U the league title last season:

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:17 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2003 12:29 am
Posts: 49294
of course...lets all forget the many times refs have given Manure all the O/T they need to come back..or the pk the ref missed @ Blackpool this year....abeg abeg...

_________________
Image
MISSION STATEMENT:To help Middle America’s families identify and resolve
critical financial matters that they have not addressed
and of which they may not even be aware

I KNOW MY FOOTBALL!!!!!
You have eyes, use it!-Robbynice,2011
CLUBS: CHELSEA FC, 3SC IBADAN.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:17 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2003 11:56 pm
Posts: 9470
Fair point PaJ.... because of course when injury time is played in a football match involving Man U, there is a FIFA directive barring the opposition from trying to score or attack. Only Man U players are allowed to score or attack during injury time.

Glad you brought up the Blackpool game. Any comments about the fact the ref played TEN MINUTES OF INJURY TIME while Man U were winning 3-2?

paj wrote:
of course...lets all forget the many times refs have given Manure all the O/T they need to come back..or the pk the ref missed @ Blackpool this year....abeg abeg...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:21 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 30, 2004 4:19 pm
Posts: 11428
Location: Libration Stadium
wiseone wrote:
The offside Drogba goal that cost Man U the league title last season:

Image



The shall be the exact picture of the second leg match between Manchester United and Chelsea in the CL QF later this month...

_________________
Image
e de sweet me o! ga gaa!
e de paini you o! ga gaa!!
e sweet me o ga gaa, ga gaa!!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 7:54 pm
Posts: 15869
Location: Ray's Boom-Boom Room
I'm sure Man Utd players themselves laughed when they read this, a few correct calls at last and he wants to make everybody believe the world is against them... :roll: :roll: :roll:

_________________
To God be the glory


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:22 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2004 9:16 am
Posts: 10154
Location: Stamford brigde... Off Fulham RD...
Skylolo wrote:
I'm sure Man Utd players themselves laughed when they read this, a few correct calls at last and he wants to make everybody believe the world is against them... :roll: :roll: :roll:



:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Na thing way dey make me laugh tire..

Maybe we should roll back the years of refs screwing others in favor of Man U.. Not be last week here that Vidic escaped with a YC after hauling down a Westham player and he was the last man? A possible game changer..

Last season when dey won the CC, Agbolahor hauled down and no RC for the Man U defender.. Or na the spurs goal way cross line and goal not given..
Rooney has been cursing out at refs and others for years. Refs and FA finally getting balls to punish him and we start hearing witch hunt..

me can't complain. What goes around comes around but Man U fans and Fergie should be the last to be whinning about refs.

_________________
Lampard: 101 goals and counting.......


64 GAMES UNBEATEN AT STAMFORD BRIDGE... A NEW RECORD IS SET.....


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:38 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2003 8:25 pm
Posts: 48632
analyzer wrote:
Skylolo wrote:
I'm sure Man Utd players themselves laughed when they read this, a few correct calls at last and he wants to make everybody believe the world is against them... :roll: :roll: :roll:



:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Na thing way dey make me laugh tire..

Maybe we should roll back the years of refs screwing others in favor of Man U.. Not be last week here that Vidic escaped with a YC after hauling down a Westham player and he was the last man? A possible game changer..
Last season when dey won the CC, Agbolahor hauled down and no RC for the Man U defender.. Or na the spurs goal way cross line and goal not given..
Rooney has been cursing out at refs and others for years. Refs and FA finally getting balls to punish him and we start hearing witch hunt..

me can't complain. What goaes around comes around but Man U fans and Fergie should be the last to be whinning about refs.


It appears most of u guys hardly know the rules about professional foul. The player fouled must also have a chance of getting the ball and/scoring which of course ddnt have. So why should Vidic be red carded.\?

_________________
TOUCH NOT MY ANOINTED...
Quote:
For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding...hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:51 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2004 9:16 am
Posts: 10154
Location: Stamford brigde... Off Fulham RD...
anointed wrote:
analyzer wrote:
Skylolo wrote:
I'm sure Man Utd players themselves laughed when they read this, a few correct calls at last and he wants to make everybody believe the world is against them... :roll: :roll: :roll:



:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Na thing way dey make me laugh tire..

Maybe we should roll back the years of refs screwing others in favor of Man U.. Not be last week here that Vidic escaped with a YC after hauling down a Westham player and he was the last man? A possible game changer..
Last season when dey won the CC, Agbolahor hauled down and no RC for the Man U defender.. Or na the spurs goal way cross line and goal not given..
Rooney has been cursing out at refs and others for years. Refs and FA finally getting balls to punish him and we start hearing witch hunt..

me can't complain. What goaes around comes around but Man U fans and Fergie should be the last to be whinning about refs.


It appears most of u guys hardly know the rules about professional foul. The player fouled must also have a chance of getting the ball and/scoring which of course didnt have. So why should Vidic be red carded.\?


Nice rationalization.. So i guess the general consensus is that the Westham player could not have gotten the ball? Same rationalization the ref was using without really being 100% sure..
The rule book says "obvious" goal scoring chance. That is a subjective interpretation. It is not like the Hammers player was at the half way line and GK already had the ball.. Why dont you kindly rationalize the Agbonlahor incident last year at the CC final?

In the same game the ref made a BS call on the hammers 2nd Pk.. My point is that what goes around come around.. man U has benefited from dubious calls over the years.. No one hears anything its in their favor but when against, Fergie goes on his rant and tactical ploy to get in refs head.. Will applaud him for that..

Again, Man U fans should be the last to be whinning about calls..

_________________
Lampard: 101 goals and counting.......


64 GAMES UNBEATEN AT STAMFORD BRIDGE... A NEW RECORD IS SET.....


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2003 8:25 pm
Posts: 48632
analyzer wrote:
anointed wrote:
analyzer wrote:
Skylolo wrote:
I'm sure Man Utd players themselves laughed when they read this, a few correct calls at last and he wants to make everybody believe the world is against them... :roll: :roll: :roll:



:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Na thing way dey make me laugh tire..

Maybe we should roll back the years of refs screwing others in favor of Man U.. Not be last week here that Vidic escaped with a YC after hauling down a Westham player and he was the last man? A possible game changer..
Last season when dey won the CC, Agbolahor hauled down and no RC for the Man U defender.. Or na the spurs goal way cross line and goal not given..
Rooney has been cursing out at refs and others for years. Refs and FA finally getting balls to punish him and we start hearing witch hunt..

me can't complain. What goaes around comes around but Man U fans and Fergie should be the last to be whinning about refs.


It appears most of u guys hardly know the rules about professional foul. The player fouled must also have a chance of getting the ball and/scoring which of course didnt have. So why should Vidic be red carded.\?


Nice rationalization.. So i guess the general consensus is that the Westham player could not have gotten the ball? Same rationalization the ref was using without really being 100% sure..
The rule book says "obvious" goal scoring chance. That is a subjective interpretation. It is not like the Hammers player was at the half way line and GK already had the ball.. Why dont you kindly rationalize the Agbonlahor incident last year at the CC final?

In the same game the ref made a BS call on the hammers 2nd Pk.. My point is that what goes around come around.. man U has benefited from dubious calls over the years.. No one hears anything its in their favor but when against, Fergie goes on his rant and tactical ploy to get in refs head.. Will applaud him for that..

Again, Man U fans should be the last to be whinning about calls..


I have always said that all clubs have both benefited and been hurt by referess' wrong decisions and every club could chose the time they want to complain or the one they want to complain about. Ancelloti had compplaints about Wed's referreeing but I didnt hear him say anything about the refereeing of the last 2 EPL games btw MAn Utd & Chelsea.

Fergie said better when both Graham Taylor & Kenny Dalglish scolded him for lampooning Atkinson after the latest Chelsea United game by citing their own case. Let the coaches and clubs whine whatever they want but leave them cos if criticize them now, ur turn will come soon and you'd be whining too. Chelasea happens to be a good example of this. Just leave Man Utd alone cos you are still in the peak of whiningas well.

The most important is a long term solution to refeeing errors which could/would be the use of video replys.

_________________
TOUCH NOT MY ANOINTED...
Quote:
For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding...hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2004 9:16 am
Posts: 10154
Location: Stamford brigde... Off Fulham RD...
wiseone wrote:
The offside Drogba goal that cost Man U the league title last season:

Image



:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

1. I guess we all missed the clear shout for a PK after Neville totally took out Anelka in the box 18 with no intention of playing the ball.
2. Una boy Marcheda scored with his hands bundling in the ball into the net....

Safe to say things evened itself out..

:rotf: :rotf:

_________________
Lampard: 101 goals and counting.......


64 GAMES UNBEATEN AT STAMFORD BRIDGE... A NEW RECORD IS SET.....


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2004 9:16 am
Posts: 10154
Location: Stamford brigde... Off Fulham RD...
@Anointed,

You see me whine.. Go back to the UCL game thread. I hardly mentioned any of incident..

Like you said, getting a long lasting solution that results in getting the right decisions is the key.
I was only laughing at the Man U fans who are feeling undone by the ref..

As for Fergie, he is just doing what any coachie should be doing.. He has been in this game long enough and knows the ins and out about psychological advantage. I cant fault him for it..

_________________
Lampard: 101 goals and counting.......


64 GAMES UNBEATEN AT STAMFORD BRIDGE... A NEW RECORD IS SET.....


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC + 1 hour


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: balo, Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Odas, oloye, Robotnik and 58 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group