Messi is nothing but a club footballer

Discuss World Football here. Continental football, International Leagues, and players.
Field Marshall Ogolo
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Messi is nothing but a club footballer

Post by Field Marshall Ogolo »

Bigpokey24 wrote:this Messi has zero effect at international football.. it is as clear as daylight, that this guy shines because of the Barca midfield. I wasn't the only one talking about his lack of class when it comes to international football.. he went missing in WC 2006 ,WC 2010 and now was all over the place vs Bolivia
i wholeheartedly agree! he's been protected far too long. those fake penalties against Naija under 21... the list goes on.. the joker is being exposed.
Kuku Ngbendu Wa Za Banga
Rogermilla
Egg
Egg

Post by Rogermilla »

Coach wrote:This -ish again? Even the great Cristiano couldn’t save this Argentina, how they have allowed their standards to fall so far, frightening. No replacements for great names passed, all hinging on the great man. Much like Messi, Ronaldo is running on borrowed time in the Mundial. Neither are lifting a World Cup, if that’s the measure of greatness, neither are.
Messi has Di Maria, Higuain, Aguero, Mascherano, Dyballa. Cristiano has?????????
Last edited by Rogermilla on Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"History shows that this club has had very few strikers like him. I do not know if there has ever been anyone like him before. What I do know is that Barcelona should erect a statue for him. Samuel was a fundamental player here in recent years and was key to all of the titles that the team won."

Andres Iniesta, August 2009
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

This -ish again? Even the great Cristiano couldn’t save this Argentina, how they have allowed their standards to fall so far, frightening. No replacements for great names passed, all hinging on the great man. Much like Messi, Ronaldo is running on borrowed time in the Mundial. Neither are lifting a World Cup, if that’s the measure of greatness, neither are.
Christiano would have scored that pk against Iceland. You guys are funny!! :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

"He took pictures with a.....GOAT"
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

They did not CEDIS coming
Naira Did We :rotf: :rotf:

F360
Egg
Egg

Post by F360 »

Coach wrote:This -ish again? Even the great Cristiano couldn’t save this Argentina, how they have allowed their standards to fall so far, frightening. No replacements for great names passed, all hinging on the great man. Much like Messi, Ronaldo is running on borrowed time in the Mundial. Neither are lifting a World Cup, if that’s the measure of greatness, neither are.
Coach, normally I agree with your points but this is absolutely false.
CRonaldo would have saved this Argentina-who have a SIGNIFICANTLY more talented squad than the Portugal squad.
We know Cristiano is one of the most competitive athletes in the world. Similar to the kind of stuff we heard about Kobe, MJordan, Tom Brady, etc.
Messi as one of the two best players in the world is no doubt very competitive and probably feeds off the competition vs Cristiano. The difference is, when faced with a manager doing ridiculous things like throwing out lineups like they did today(Leaving Banega, Lo Celso and Dybala on the bench. Even ignoring the decision not to take the best striker in Serie A this year and the best goalkeeper in Argentina this year-for a team without great options at that particular position, Cristiano would not have accepted that. I'm sure everyone thinks and is probably right that Cristiano has input into the Portuguese lineup. Messi might have some input in the Argentina lineup but that's doubtful. Maybe we will find out more after they exit.

--------------------------------------------
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

F360 wrote:
CRonaldo would have saved this Argentina-who have a SIGNIFICANTLY more talented squad than the Portugal squad.
We know Cristiano is one of the most competitive athletes in the world. Similar to the kind of stuff we heard about Kobe, MJordan, Tom Brady, etc.
Messi as one of the two best players in the world is no doubt very competitive and probably feeds off the competition vs Cristiano. The difference is, when faced with a manager doing ridiculous things like throwing out lineups like they did today(Leaving Banega, Lo Celso and Dybala on the bench. Even ignoring the decision not to take the best striker in Serie A this year and the best goalkeeper in Argentina this year-for a team without great options at that particular position, Cristiano would not have accepted that. I'm sure everyone thinks and is probably right that Cristiano has input into the Portuguese lineup. Messi might have some input in the Argentina lineup but that's doubtful. Maybe we will find out more after they exit.
The best goalkeeper from Argentina is in the team though, Franco Armani should have been the starter. Now as for comparing the teams name the best 5 or so Argentinian players, all attackers, you can hardly player more than 3 at a time and you better hope they don't play the same position. The midfield today was barren and bereft of suppliers, even bringing in Icardi (who team hierarchy dislikes) wouldn't have help, because a striker can't score if he doesn't have the ball. I don't know if Cristiano would have succeeded with the team - I doubt it, I know his Portugal isn't Madrid or even what he had in 2006 but there is balance - I do know that he manages to motivate his teammates a lot better than Messi does, so in that respect they may be better but there is only so much better you can be.

Far as the wider discussion goes, the truth that we often ignore is that the greats are often so because their teammates step up when they fall in trouble. Ronaldo barely played in the final game of the Euros and became a champion. Zidane got sent off in the second game missing the final group game and second round match of the World Cup in 98 but his teammates came through, likewise in the 86 final when Maradona's teammates did the same or 62 when Brazil did for Pele.
F360
Egg
Egg

Post by F360 »

kalani JR wrote:
F360 wrote:
The best goalkeeper from Argentina is in the team though, Franco Armani should have been the starter. Now as for comparing the teams name the best 5 or so Argentinian players, all attackers, you can hardly player more than 3 at a time and you better hope they don't play the same position. The midfield today was barren and bereft of suppliers, even bringing in Icardi (who team hierarchy dislikes) wouldn't have help, because a striker can't score if he doesn't have the ball. I don't know if Cristiano would have succeeded with the team - I doubt it, I know his Portugal isn't Madrid or even what he had in 2006 but there is balance - I do know that he manages to motivate his teammates a lot better than Messi does, so in that respect they may be better but there is only so much better you can be.

Far as the wider discussion goes, the truth that we often ignore is that the greats are often so because their teammates step up when they fall in trouble. Ronaldo barely played in the final game of the Euros and became a champion. Zidane got sent off in the second game missing the final group game and second round match of the World Cup in 98 but his teammates came through, likewise in the 86 final when Maradona's teammates did the same or 62 when Brazil did for Pele.

Sorry I put Icardi and Armani in the same convo of not being selected. I meant start Armani.
The best 5 Argentinians might be attackers but that doesn't mean the three on the pitch can't be supplemented with two other good ones on the bench. Higuain doesn't compute. Meza on the pitch and Dybala on the bench doesn't compute. Of course you hope they can mesh but it's the job of the coach to put them in the best position and it seems Sampaoli failed at that.
You're making it seem as if Argentina has rubbish in their midfield. C'mon now. Their best midfield options are still very good players. Most teams in the world would love to have such talent at their disposal in midfield. Once again, it's the job of the coach to put the best midfield for battle out on the pitch. No Argentina fan would say that was it on display today.
Like you said, Ronaldo manages to motivate his teammates better and if not just motivate, it's also to put a little spark in them to give more than their talent would say they should be able to give.
You're definitely right about teammates stepping up when the great players are in trouble and Messi's argentinian teammates have failed him constantly. It goes hand in hand. The greats need to be able to step up and deliver when their teammates have an off game and the teammates have to be able to step up and deliver when things are tough for their great teammate in a particular match.
Coaching of course helps. I thought Sampaoli would be the one to fix all this but nope.

--------------------------------------------
tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Fashion FC always making the Swede look good

5 games sweet o
DNA no good o

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

Okonkwo in da house
Egg
Egg

Post by Okonkwo in da house »

He is so overrated! I would not put him in the top 20 players ever. Compare Messi to George Weah, Marco Van Basten and others. He is hyped up by the fake news media in the interest of marketing dollars. Didn't you see how he was struggling against Nigeria's average defenders?
Al B Sure
Egg
Egg

Post by Al B Sure »

:) :) :)
tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

The Swede will win the WC...one day

5 games sweet o
DNA no good o

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

Comrade Machel
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Comrade Machel »

Okonkwo in da house wrote:He is so overrated! I would not put him in the top 20 players ever. Compare Messi to George Weah, Marco Van Basten and others. He is hyped up by the fake news media in the interest of marketing dollars. Didn't you see how he was struggling against Nigeria's average defenders?

:clap: :clap:
On international duty CRonaldo & Neymar over Messi anyday

Today he did sweet fokk all. Again :rotf: :rotf:
Ratlala :thumbs: :D

https://youtu.be/8CZLsYase0Q
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

Okonkwo in da house wrote:He is so overrated! I would not put him in the top 20 players ever. Compare Messi to George Weah, Marco Van Basten and others. He is hyped up by the fake news media in the interest of marketing dollars. Didn't you see how he was struggling against Nigeria's average defenders?
He scored against Nigeria and van Basten's most famous goal is in a European Championship final, do you even watch football?
marutimon
Egg
Egg

Post by marutimon »

kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

Samora Machel wrote:

I thought he set up two goals but I'll probably take those two ahead.
gosh
Egg
Egg

Post by gosh »

The South American "big teams" are nothing more than professional divers in football clothing.
Messi is not even half the player Diego Maradonna was.
Whatever you are chasing is also chasing you!
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

kalani JR wrote:
Samora Machel wrote:

I thought he set up two goals but I'll probably take those two ahead.
He is a club footballer nothing else.Even Giroud set up goal today .He was very very poor
ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ohsee »

tfco wrote:"He took pictures with a.....GOAT"
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Poor Messi. That picture he took with a goat will haunt him for a long time. :lol: :lol: :lol: Even Maradona, a real GOAT candidate, is yabbing him. :lol:
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

So this is the end of this thread, now those agberos wey insult me for page one, should dobale....when I log on CE
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

After reading this thread from page one, I would like to give Omey one very heavy punch on his no neck, the guy is clueless when it comes to football, now yujam needs to pay me money, I have schooled him too many times on this forum
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

Hmmm Messi never resign from national team?
This was his world cup but he allow kids behind him to over shadow him.
The club footballer is over hype.
tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

5 games sweet o
DNA no good o

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S