Afcon Prediction by the so called BBC Experts

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Elexus
Egg
Egg
Afcon Prediction by the so called BBC Experts

Post by Elexus »

Tunisia 2004: Experts' prediction

So you want to know how the 2004 African Cup of Nations will play out? Well, you've come to the right place.
We asked BBC Sport's panel of experts to share the wisdom they have gleaned through many years of covering the African game.

Each has predicted the winner for each of the four groups and the two teams to contest the final on 14 February.

Our experts have also been asked to predict their player of the tournament as well as the top goalscorer.

Have Your Say
Who are you tipping for glory?

One of the experts will walk away with the prestigious Predictions Trophy, so don't forget to check back to see who got it right!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Martin Davies
I hope we get a lot more goals than we did in Mali 2002. Cameroon have got to be in with a chance of creating history by winning their third title in a row, but my outside bet is Mali. In Mamadou Diarra, Mali have a player who is just like Patrick Vieira (although not as good!).

Group winners:
A: Tunisia
B: Senegal
C: Cameroon
D: Nigeria
Final: Cameroon vs Senegal (Cameroon to win)
Player of the Tournament: Jay-Jay Okocha
Top Goalscorer: Freddie Kanoute

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Farayi Mungazi
I'm looking forward to seeing Mali pull off the mother of all shocks and go back to Bamako with the Cup of Nations trophy in their luggage. I find it difficult to ignore the fact that on the three occasions that the Eagles have been to the finals, they've got to the semis.

Group winners:
B: Mali
D: Morocco
Final: Mali vs Cameroon (Mali to win)
Player of the Tournament: Freddie Kanoute
Top Goalscorer: Samuel Eto'o Fils

Osasu Obayiuwana
In what looks a very open tournament, I think experience will separate the men from the boys in the end. I don't expect a team outside the traditional club of superpowers to win, that's why I'm going for Cameroon. But I'd like Nigeria to prove me wrong!

Group winners:
Final: Cameroon vs Nigeria (Cameroon to win)

Mohammed Allie
The gap between the top teams and the so-called minnows has closed considerably over the last three Cup of Nations tournaments. Zimbabwe and Kenya are my two dark horses but I'm tipping Nigeria to have a good tournament and meet Senegal in the final. Watch out for Yakubu Ayegbeni, an excellent attacker who has done very well since moving to England.

Group winners:
Final: Nigeria vs Cameroon (Nigeria to win)
Player of the Tournament: Yakubu Ayegbeni
Top Goalscorer: Yakubu Ayegbeni

Durosimi Thomas
I think Tunisia will find the pressure of playing at home too much to handle, just like they did in 1994. The Egyptians haven't won anything for a long time now, but they have a very strong team and can't be ruled out. Mohsen Saleh groomed the majority of the current Egyptian squad and knows his players very well.

Group winners:
A: Guinea
Final: Cameroon vs Egypt (Egypt to win)
Player of the tournament: Samuel Eto'o Fils
Top goal scorer: Ahmed Hassan

Mark Gleeson
I hope Tunisia 2004 provides us with much better football than the rubbish we've seen at the last three tournaments. With home advantage, a quality coach and highly-motivated players, I expect Tunisia to go all the way and meet Egypt in the final.

Group winners:
Final: Tunisia vs Egypt (Egypt to win)
Player of the tournament: Ahmed 'Mido' Hossam
Top goal scorer: Ahmed 'Mido' Hossam
daddyrich
Egg
Egg
Re: Afcon Prediction by the so called BBC Experts

Post by daddyrich »

Elexus wrote:Tunisia 2004: Experts' prediction

Farayi Mungazi
I'm looking forward to seeing Mali pull off the mother of all shocks and go back to Bamako with the Cup of Nations trophy in their luggage. I find it difficult to ignore the fact that on the three occasions that the Eagles have been to the finals, they've got to the semis.

Group winners:

Wow, how can Mali's performance in 1972 and 1994 sway this man to shrine like this?

I can understand 2002 but geez!!!
Baxter Onigbinde's second coming is the most disingenious stint ever in Nigerian coaching history.
Elexus
Egg
Egg

Post by Elexus »

It baffles me really
somebody
Egg
Egg

Post by somebody »

Egypt and Tunisia in finals?

Kanuote, best player?

Aiyegbeni best player and top scorer?

Those people must be dreaming :x
Why do we struggle to live when we are still going to die anyway?
Akamoke

Post by Akamoke »

,,and of course, British based players voted Man of the Tournament
Its a Goal
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Its a Goal »

Others are beginning to see what most of us have been saying forever: JJ, player of the tournament 8).
2 of the finest indigenous coaches Nigeria ever had lost in a space of 4 days. Dear Lord, is this a sign that you are taking away from us what we failed to appreciate? I pray for forgiveness of our sins. I pray for the humility to recognize our wrongs and the humbleness and wisdom to right our ways.

REST IN PEACE COACH STEPHEN KESHI!!! REST IN PEACE COACH AMODU SHAIBU!!!
Makanaky
Egg
Egg

Post by Makanaky »

I know the truth hurts kids but please keep your toys in the pram. Its not the end of the world if no one rates the mighty Super Eagles. :D :D :D :D
Nkono, Kunde, Massing, Tataw, Ebwelle , Pagal,Mbida, Mfede, Mbouh,Makanaky,Kana-Biyik,Oman-Biyik, Ekeke, Milla,.....Too Strong to be Intimidated, Too Stong to be defeated! Indomitable!!!! Marc Viven-Foe R.I.P!!!
sunshinestar
Egg
Egg
Re: Afcon Prediction by the so called BBC Experts

Post by sunshinestar »

Elexus wrote:Tunisia 2004: Experts' prediction

So you want to know how the 2004 African Cup of Nations will play out? Well, you've come to the right place.
We asked BBC Sport's panel of experts to share the wisdom they have gleaned through many years of covering the African game.

Each has predicted the winner for each of the four groups and the two teams to contest the final on 14 February.

Our experts have also been asked to predict their player of the tournament as well as the top goalscorer.

Have Your Say
Who are you tipping for glory?

One of the experts will walk away with the prestigious Predictions Trophy, so don't forget to check back to see who got it right!

Martin Davies
I hope we get a lot more goals than we did in Mali 2002. Cameroon have got to be in with a chance of creating history by winning their third title in a row, but my outside bet is Mali. In Mamadou Diarra, Mali have a player who is just like Patrick Vieira (although not as good!).

Group winners:
Final: Cameroon vs Senegal (Cameroon to win)
Top Goalscorer: Freddie Kanoute

Farayi Mungazi

Group winners:

Osasu Obayiuwana
In what looks a very open tournament, I think experience will separate the men from the boys in the end. I don't expect a team outside the traditional club of superpowers to win, that's why I'm going for Cameroon. But I'd like Nigeria to prove me wrong!

Group winners:
Final: Cameroon vs Nigeria (Cameroon to win)

Mohammed Allie
The gap between the top teams and the so-called minnows has closed considerably over the last three Cup of Nations tournaments. Zimbabwe and Kenya are my two dark horses but I'm tipping Nigeria to have a good tournament and meet Senegal in the final. Watch out for Yakubu Ayegbeni, an excellent attacker who has done very well since moving to England.

Group winners:
Final: Nigeria vs Cameroon (Nigeria to win)
Player of the Tournament: Yakubu Ayegbeni
Top Goalscorer: Yakubu Ayegbeni

Durosimi Thomas
I think Tunisia will find the pressure of playing at home too much to handle, just like they did in 1994. The Egyptians haven't won anything for a long time now, but they have a very strong team and can't be ruled out. Mohsen Saleh groomed the majority of the current Egyptian squad and knows his players very well.

Group winners:
A: Guinea
Final: Cameroon vs Egypt (Egypt to win)
Player of the tournament: Samuel Eto'o Fils
Top goal scorer: Ahmed Hassan

Mark Gleeson
I hope Tunisia 2004 provides us with much better football than the rubbish we've seen at the last three tournaments. With home advantage, a quality coach and highly-motivated players, I expect Tunisia to go all the way and meet Egypt in the final.

Group winners:
Final: Tunisia vs Egypt (Egypt to win)
Player of the tournament: Ahmed 'Mido' Hossam
Top goal scorer: Ahmed 'Mido' Hossam
I respect these guys views.I personally don't believe SE would do well in Tunisia.
Akure4Life
Egg
Egg

Post by Akure4Life »

Makanaky wrote:I know the truth hurts kids but please keep your toys in the pram. Its not the end of the world if no one rates the mighty Super Eagles. :D :D :D :D
This is not about rating SE, but saying Mali would win the ANC is something out of this world. One thing for sure is that the winner would come from Cameroon, Senegal or Nigeria. Take it or leave it.
Akure4Life

Ojota is my hood.
AreaStarr
Egg
Egg
Location: By the Bar as usual hand full of liquor puffing on a sweet swisher!

Post by AreaStarr »

Akure4Life wrote:
Makanaky wrote:I know the truth hurts kids but please keep your toys in the pram. Its not the end of the world if no one rates the mighty Super Eagles. :D :D :D :D
This is not about rating SE, but saying Mali would win the ANC is something out of this world. One thing for sure is that the winner would come from Cameroon, Senegal or Nigeria. Take it or leave it.
Akure4Life to be honest with you right now I would rate Mali's chances above ours at the moment. I have seen nothing in our preparation to suggest we will be repeating our feat of 10 years ago.