I returned from Europe because I don’t want to be a slave’

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Toxicarrow
Egg
Egg

Post by Toxicarrow »

By Sun News Publishing
Monday, September 27, 2004

Taiwo Enegwea has traversed the length and breadth of the local football scene from First Bank, Julius Berger, Union Bank, 3SC to playing for the junior national team as well as the Super Eagles.

He belongs to the elite group of players who rose from the Under-17 national team to the Flying Eagles and later, the Super Eagles.

After failing to tie down a professional league club side abroad, Enegwea decided to return to the local scene to continue with his trade, rather than roam the streets of Europe for a non-existing opportunity.

According to the midfielder, coming to play for 3SC was a plus for "my career because a lot of people felt I could no longer play top flight football after joining Babanawa Football Club. But I have always believed in what I can do. I know it’s not over until it’s really over.

Enegwea expressed dismay over the attitude of some players who failed abroad, but due to ego, refuse to return to the local league scene.
"Some players have failed abroad, but because they cannot bring their so-called status down, they continue to roam the streets."

Regrettably, Enegwea admitted that "playing in Nigeria is not too exciting, but one has to play to make ends meet and not lose form. He added: "To be sincere, the morale and zeal I brought to 3SC have gone down. But in life, everything one plans does not work accordingly."

On 3SC’s performance in the just-concluded season, he said: "There were many problems we battled against. But I am happy that we remained in the Premieship. So, next season, we’ll strive to find our level. I feel bad that we lost some matches scandalously, but in life, it’s not how many times you fall that matters, but your ability to rise each time you fall."

Commenting on whether he achieved his target in the out gone season, Enegwea replied in the negative: "The spirit with which I started was not the same way it ended. Although, before joining the team, I had already prepared my mind for the fans who could be irrational sometimes but their behaviour is immaterial to me. Also, the younger players in the team have not got to our level because, really, they are still rookies.

"Most of them have ego problem and the wrong assumption that they have arrived. Most of them lack determination, dedication and discipline."

On the problem facing the club over the effort at privitisation, the former international said: "Mot people do not understand what privatisation is all about. Chief Onigbinde has the experience and understanding of the process to succeed, but he needs the support of everyone to make it a reality. We also need a very experienced manager because of the calibre of players in the club. You don’t expect to get the best result from players who are coached by a mediocre."

Enegwea also observed that the Eagles have continuity problem. He said: "Clemence Westerhof was able to achieve success due to his long period of stay with the team. If any coach feels he will succeed only by bringing his assistants, so be it."

For the Eagles to qualify for the 2006 World Cup finals, Enegwea insisted, the best players must be assembled. It’s unfortunate that we do not always assemble our best players on time. We do not plan and this won’t get us any where. With poor planning, even 20 Okochas won’t get anywhere.
Check out Sooting's website:
https://shootingstarssc.com/
Toxicarrow
Egg
Egg
Re: I returned from Europe because I don’t want to be a slav

Post by Toxicarrow »

Toxicarrow wrote:

On the problem facing the club over the effort at privitisation, the former international said: "Mot people do not understand what privatisation is all about. Chief Onigbinde has the experience and understanding of the process to succeed, but he needs the support of everyone to make it a reality.
SOLOWE and et.al: Taiwo once again stated what I told you was Sooting's biggest problem this year. The likes of Chief Femi Olukanmi have faced the same odds in the hands of supporters who don't understand the purpose of privatization. For some, a state-run Sooting is better because it gives them the opportunity to siphon funds without being probed...more so, it is also another avenue for them to watch games free of charge. In fact, there is an occassion when Taiwo Ogunjobi used to manage the team that the gates to Sooting's home game were thrown open (on the order of Taiwo Ogunjobi) to mark the state governor's birthday. If you ask me, I would tell you that was an absolute madness !
Check out Sooting's website:
https://shootingstarssc.com/