Obasanjo off to Switzerland as NLC plans stike for Weds.

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

AreaDaddy
Eaglet
Eaglet
Obasanjo off to Switzerland as NLC plans stike for Weds.

Post by AreaDaddy »

Yomi Odunuga, Abuja

Strong indications emerged on Sunday that President Olusegun Obasanjo might damn the strike threat by the Nigeria Labour Congress as he begins a four-day working visit to Switzerland and the United Kingdom on Tuesday.

A Presidency source said on Sunday the President would attend the World Economic Forum billed to begin on Wednesday in Davos, Switzerland.

According to the source, Obasanjo would use the forum to sell his administration?s economic agenda and also seek the assistance of the international community to recover funds looted from Nigeria.

He would be accompanied by a coterie of members of his cabinet, including the Minister of Finance, Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala; National Economic Adviser, Prof. Charles Soludo; Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Mallam Nasir el-Rufai; Senior Special Assistant and Head of the Due Process Unit, Dr. Oby Ezekwesili; and the Executive Secretary of the Nigerian Investment and Promotion Commission, Mr. Bello Bello.

It would be the second time the president would be attending the WEF, an annual event in Davos where world leaders and financial experts meet to review global economic situation.

A Presidency source told our correspondent that Obasanjo, who attended the forum in 2002, would use the opportunity to lobby the leaders to assist the government in the recovery of the stolen funds especially that of the late Gen. Sani Abacha and his family.

The government?s plan to fund the 2004 budget from the $618 million Abacha loot was blighted by legal hurdles by the Swiss government.

Obasanjo would also be meeting with prospective members of his International Investment Council after attending the opening and plenary sessions of the WEF on Wednesday and Thursday.

Post by Guest »

How many times will this man sell his Economic agenda to World leaders? He has been doing that for close to five years now with no effect. What makes him think another sojourn will chnage anything. This guy must really love to travel alot.
living
Egg
Egg

Post by living »

this looks familiar, is this not the same thing the Haitian Preident Jean Aristide did.I hope we can from that extrapolate and begin to understand the kind of President we have
Things might come to those who wait but only those things left behind by those who hustle-Abraham Lincoln
nemi2002
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by nemi2002 »

OBJ will get what he wants very soon
AreaDaddy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by AreaDaddy »

living wrote:this looks familiar, is this not the same thing the Haitian Preident Jean Aristide did.I hope we can from that extrapolate and begin to understand the kind of President we have
Even closer to home - Gowon and the OAU summit in Kampala I think...
Yettycom
Egg
Egg

Post by Yettycom »

the man doesn't give a damn that he's killing the people of this country. i wonder who will work 4 the investors when they don die finish.

i agree with nemi, he'll get what he's looking 4 very soon. if u keep pushing a man to the wall and there's no more room, he has no choice but to fight back.
God is good to me and all who love and follow him.. Amazingly, he's also loving to all those who dont know him. What a mighty God he is!
nakson
Egg
Egg

Post by nakson »

At least naijs's problem is no more a Northern issue.
If a monkey is amongst dogs, why won't it start barking?

Nobody mourns an unnoticed death.

If a donkey kicks you and you kick back, you are both donkeys.

He who eats well speaks well or it is a question of insanity.

A tiger does not have to proclaim its tigri-tude.

When man pikin dey piss, him dey hold something for hand. Woman wey try-am, go piss for her hand.
Bell

Post by Bell »

SOME TRAVELS ARE NO DOUBT NECESSARY, BUT...

...because this man travels so much no one can tell which is important and which is not. Makes you wonder why he had a foreign minister and a VP in the first place.

Advice to Obasanjo: the loudest foreign policy is a successful domestic policy.
Bell
AreaDaddy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by AreaDaddy »

Obasanjo has seen the light and realised the stupidity (and potential danger coup-wise) of this trip and cancelled it....
---
"Nobody seems to want to live in a democracy anymore. All they want is to live in a dictatorship that supports their point of view."
AreaDaddy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by AreaDaddy »

.. but latest report have it that Switzerland was too tempting and he finally sneaked out of the country at 1.00pm

...maybe he has a deposit to make , who know?
---
"Nobody seems to want to live in a democracy anymore. All they want is to live in a dictatorship that supports their point of view."