Old fogeys, let's talk

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

bobbye
Egg
Egg

Post by bobbye »

Really what inhibited our chances of qualifying for world cup earlier most of our boys at thier prime were living Nigerian soil in pursuit of education overseas. Imagine when the likes of Dominic Ezeani,Obed Ariri,Kenneth Ilodigwe,Goddy Ogbueze and Thompsom Usyian left. Undoubtly thier departure from Nigeria score had very negative impact to our world cup qualification matches
bobbye
Egg
Egg

Post by bobbye »

Really what inhibited our chances of qualifying for world cup earlier most of our boys at thier prime were living Nigerian soil in pursuit of education overseas. Imagine when the likes of Dominic Ezeani,Obed Ariri,Kenneth Ilodigwe,Goddy Ogbueze and Thompsom Usyian left. Undoubtly thier departure from Nigeria score had very negative impact to our world cup qualification matches
ardile
Egg
Egg

Post by ardile »

Excuse me Sahs!!!! :!: :!: :) :) :)

How I fit get EnuguII book(s) and the other book(s) by forumers on Naija footie? I dey Canada, please PM me the info.

This History wey I dey read so dey sweet me well well, abeg uncles .... MORE!!!!! :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

Sorry for distrupting the lectures .... :lol: :lol: :D :D
WENEVER..... WEAREVER ..... WOTEVER .... 4EVER .....
................................................................................... ARSENAL!!!!!

"No great things has ever been accomplished without somebody's crazy ideas; the biggest things in life have been achieved by people who, at the beginning, we would have judged crazy. And yet, if they had not had these crazy ideas, the world would have been more stupid." - Arsene Wenger..
khalela

Post by khalela »

Choi.My papa mates dey here oh.
Excuse me please.Sorry for the interuptions sirs.
Enugu II

Post by Enugu II »

ardile wrote:Excuse me Sahs!!!! :!: :!: :) :) :)

How I fit get EnuguII book(s) and the other book(s) by forumers on Naija footie? I dey Canada, please PM me the info.

This History wey I dey read so dey sweet me well well, abeg uncles .... MORE!!!!! :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

Sorry for distrupting the lectures .... :lol: :lol: :D :D

The book The Making of Nigeria's Super Eagles can be found on several websites. The ones that I can immediately located are as follows:

http://libreriadellosport.it/shop/elencopromo.asp

http://www.polymedias.fr/listes/foot.htm

Unfortunately, the above two are in Italy and France. I could not locate the English ones. However, I am sure that it is available in England.
Sir V
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sir V »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:TD, remember that Howard came from Benin and effectively had to relaunch his career, a bit like Raymond King, who came from Ibadan after being banned by the Oyo State Sports Council for playing for two schools in the same year. I vividly recollect Franklin Howard playing for Baptist Academy and if I m right, he captained the team in that 1981 final.
Franklin's debut was 1979. He started playing with NNB in 1980.
"If winning isn't important, why do we spend all that money on scoreboards?“ --Chuck Coonradt
RudeBoy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by RudeBoy »

I am surprised none of you guys have talked about Peter Abana with his "Abana shot" and the great Alloy Atuegbu from Rangers International.

Did Abana ever play for the Green Eagles (I can't remember)? And how hot was that shot of his?

Atuegbu was one rugged Mother F***** But he was one of my favourites back then. He was so small he had to roll up his long sleeves :lol:

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke (1729 – 1797)

Among a people generally corrupt liberty cannot long exist - Edmund Burke (1729 – 1797)
rust09
Egg
Egg

Post by rust09 »

Alloy always seemed to play with his socks rolled down as well, didn't he? As far as 'hot' shots go, i think Emman Osigwe had the hottest shot ever. Legend has it that he once scored with a shot from the centre circle during training!
cic old boy
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by cic old boy »

Rudeboy: You mean Kenneth Abana? He played for Rangers in the early 70s. I think he must have played for the Eagles because back then the entire Rangers first 11 were in the Eagles squad. Older fogeys may bear me out on this one.

I agree with Rust09 about Emmanuel Osigwe's shot. I heard that story about scoring from the centre circle. The dude had one heck of a powerful shot but not much else. Rangers fans used to call him "Emma Raccah" because he was signed from Raccah Rovers.
http://www.naijiant.com/
Goldleaf
Egg
Egg

Post by Goldleaf »

For me, this thread has been wonderful.

Emma Osigwe will forever be remembered for our 2nd goal against Tunisia in WCQ. We had lost 0-2 in Tunis 2 weeks before. Slyanus Okpalla took tunisian striker Tarek Dhiab out. Boateng headed in a Tunji Banjo cross in the first half before Osigwe chested and volleyed a cross from John Chiedozie in the 2nd half to take us into penalties which we won.

In the 1980 Olympics in Moscow, Osigwe scored a free-kick against Czechoslovakia. It was ruled out as it should have been indirect. Nwosu scored our equaliser that day as we drew 1-1.
You can control your choice, but not necessarily the consequences
RudeBoy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by RudeBoy »

cic old boy wrote:Rudeboy: You mean Kenneth Abana? He played for Rangers in the early 70s. I think he must have played for the Eagles because back then the entire Rangers first 11 were in the Eagles squad. Older fogeys may bear me out on this one.

I agree with Rust09 about Emmanuel Osigwe's shot. I heard that story about scoring from the centre circle. The dude had one heck of a powerful shot but not much else. Rangers fans used to call him "Emma Raccah" because he was signed from Raccah Rovers.
Sorry, I was mixing him up with Peter Lorimer (both had rocket shots)! I remember Osigwe and that goal that never was! There was something about that guy that just oozed class even though he wasn't all that good.
Gadfly
Egg
Egg
Re: Old fogeys, let's talk

Post by Gadfly »

Chai! Contributing Editor was yarning opaks back then.
cic old boy
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by cic old boy »

Cha! From 2004 when Eagles Nest was not EPL Nest.
http://www.naijiant.com/
YemiBrazil
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re:

Post by YemiBrazil »

RudeBoy wrote:
airwolex wrote:Rudeboy, they said old foggies. I hear you are 17 gerraway from this thread.
:lol: :lol: Respect your elders o! or I will use my bata to slap ya face! :lol:
In 2004?? :shock:
This bros must be Osaze's uncle!
*** Every child is A STAR! ***

Only Mister Johnson https://www.amazon.com/Only-Mister-Johnson-Okey-Chigbo/dp/B09DMW3RM9
----------------------------------------------------------------
"A revolution in a personal context, is a turn around of a predominant way of thinking or doing things TO BETTER YOURSELF and effectively BETTER YOUR NATION!!!"
----------------------------------------------------------------
* Progressive Federalism * Personal Revolution * Industrialization *
DIMKA76
Egg
Egg

Post by DIMKA76 »

Omo I didn't think it was on points oh. Which is why what someone mentioned above might be correct. It was straight knockout based on home and away legs not even sure they had the away goals rule then sef.
WE ARE ALL TOGETHER!!
megapro
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by megapro »

We bungled it by losing 1:3 to Egypt
Even if we had beaten Tunisia, they still had Egypt twice to play
megapro 2012:
Keshi should be left alone to continue his program, and seriously has a chance of casting his name in gold