Odegbami vs Finidi

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: Odegbami vs Finidi

Post by Damunk »

oloye wrote: You have decided to use the poor outing in one tournament to decide that they were poor in that era, yet it seems you refused to factor in the events leading to the participation in the tournament. They were last minute replacement for the teams who pulled out of the Olympics, they were put together at the last minute so to say. What you are doing is akin to using what happened to France at the 2002 World Cup to rubbish the likes of Zidane, just because France lost to Senegal.

Meanwhile the same Nigeria team had won the ANC80 and had been one of the top 3 teams in Africa since 1976.
Ol Boi, it was the same elite squad that had won the AFCON barely three months before, just slightly smaller and without Christian Chukwu.
They might not have had adequate preparation but they were still African Champions and its not as if they were called back from a COVID lockdown or their summer holidays in Australia or somewhere.

Just like the current SE have been rightly condemned for their shoddy performances vs S/Leone despite poor preparation, so too was the shoddy performance at the 1980 Olympics.
We can't pick and choose who to make excuses for.

Moreover, like I pointed out, the FIFA technical report lamented the overall poor quality of the football at the tournament, stating it even fell below the standards of the 1979 Youth Tournament. So again, it is at best circumstantial evidence that our standard of play might not have been as fantastic as we believed.

I am not making this argument to denigrate Odegbami or any of his peers of the time as some are claiming. That is a distraction. I am simply trying to provide context from the little real evidence we have available of our heroes performing on the international stage outside Africa. Its a pity there is so little of it.

Memories are all well and good, but your memory is different from mine and is different from the next man's.
It is never straightforward comparing players from different eras even with extensive footage available, but posterity will assess heroes like Odegbami, Adokiye, Okala and Chukwu with a forensic eye, not a sentimental one.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Damunk

The point you are attempting to make is understood re you can find disappointing results from that era. That point is understood and applied to all periods including the current one as the Sierra Leone debacle reminds all of us.

However, the use of the 1980 Olympics is particularly a poor example given the state of the team for that particular tournament. There were at least 2 key players that had led the AFCON tourney -missing or hobbled for the Olympics.. Chukwu named as mvp of AFCON was absent at Olympics and Odegbami named to AFCON XI was playing on one leg and clearly hobbling at the Olympics. The circmstances ought to speak volumes. However, I understand your point that in that era there were also poor results. However, the Olympics is not a good example.

Meanwhile, let us also remember that the Algeria that Nigeria humbled 3-0 then was barely a year removed from beating Germany at the World Cup. That should not be forgotten when we seek to assess how good the team was or could have been in such contests.
Last edited by Enugu II on Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Purity
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Purity »

Finito..
Jesus didn't die so we could have religion. He died so we could have a deep, intimate, personal relationship with God.
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

:woot:
Damunk wrote:
oloye wrote: You have decided to use the poor outing in one tournament to decide that they were poor in that era, yet it seems you refused to factor in the events leading to the participation in the tournament. They were last minute replacement for the teams who pulled out of the Olympics, they were put together at the last minute so to say. What you are doing is akin to using what happened to France at the 2002 World Cup to rubbish the likes of Zidane, just because France lost to Senegal.

Meanwhile the same Nigeria team had won the ANC80 and had been one of the top 3 teams in Africa since 1976.
Ol Boi, it was the same elite squad that had won the AFCON barely three months before, just slightly smaller and without Christian Chukwu.
They might not have had adequate preparation but they were still African Champions and its not as if they were called back from a COVID lockdown or their summer holidays in Australia or somewhere.

Just like the current SE have been rightly condemned for their shoddy performances vs S/Leone despite poor preparation, so too was the shoddy performance at the 1980 Olympics.

Moreover, like I pointed out, the FIFA technical report lamented the overall poor quality of the football at the tournament, stating it even fell below the standards of the 1979 Youth Tournament. So again, it is at best circumstantial evidence that our standard of play might not have been as fantastic as we believed.

I am not making this argument to denigrate Odegbami or any of his peers of the time as some are claiming. That is a distraction. I am simply trying to provide context from the little real evidence we have available of our heroes performing on the international stage outside Africa. Its a pity there is so little of it.

Memories are all well and good, but your memory is different from mine and is different from the next man's.
It is never straightforward comparing players from different eras even with extensive footage available, but posterity will assess heroes like Odegbami, Adokiye, Okala and Chukwu with a forensic eye, not a sentimental one.
You mention forensic eye, but decide to choose only the bad results to highlight your point while ignoring the good ones. I would love to hear what FIFA technical report had to say on the other competitions which the teams played at the time.
You said people are using emotions, even when the individual contributions of both players are there for scrutiny.

Yes it is true that only two people who dropped off the winning team, but then one of them must have been so missed that a year after his retirement from the team his presence was so felt that the president had to intervene to plead or order him back into the team to play in Algerian match.
The bottomline here is the team that went to the Olympics was not good enough and I don't think it can be used to determine the quality of the players. The quality of players is relative to the respective era, competition, training facilities and especially the contributions they made to the team.

But then in every intellectual debate there is room for divergent opinion, that is the beauty of seeing things differently which serves to enrich us all.

Of course you are right your memories are different from mine, I do not expect them to be the same.
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

oloye wrote::woot:
Damunk wrote:

You mention forensic eye, but decide to choose only the bad results to highlight your point while ignoring the good ones. I would love to hear what FIFA technical report had to say on the other competitions which the teams played at the time.
You said people are using emotions, even when the individual contributions of both players are there for scrutiny.

Yes it is true that only two people who dropped off the winning team, but then one of them must have been so missed that a year after his retirement from the team his presence was so felt that the president had to intervene to plead or order him back into the team to play in Algerian match.
The bottomline here is the team that went to the Olympics was not good enough and I don't think it can be used to determine the quality of the players. The quality of players is relative to the respective era, competition, training facilities and especially the contributions they made to the team.

But then in every intellectual debate there is room for divergent opinion, that is the beauty of seeing things differently which serves to enrich us all.

Of course you are right your memories are different from mine, I do not expect them to be the same.
Oloye,

I put it down to people not understanding the team at all. Every player was not equal. While Finidi was a great player in his own right, I do not believe his absence from that SE team was particularly something that people would have missed. But you could not say the same of the 1980s team. Missing Odegbami and/or Chukwu DRASTICALLY changed the team. They were the TEAM. A third guy in that category was Thompson Usiyan. When he left, it was a BIG BLOW. Not only was that possibly the reason Nigeria did not qualify for the WC but it threatened the ability of the team winning the AFCON of 1980. Those p[layers were by far the SOUL of that team.

While Finidi was a star of the SE in the 1990s, he never rose to that class of IMPACT on the SE team on which he played. The only player in that team that approach the status of BIG CAN'T MISS player in the 1990s that I can think of right now is Rashidi Yekini. Think for one moment, Yekini being absent from the AFCON teams of 1990s. That is what Odegbami meant to the team in the 1970s-1980.

BTW, there are players from Odegbami's era that can be appropriately compared to Finidi's impact on the 1990s SE tea. A good choice would be ALOYSIUS ATUEGBU. He was a great player of that era that had a similar impact on his team as Finidi had in his own era. However, he was not the BIGGEST STAR of his era just as Finidi was not with the SE of his era.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

Enugu II wrote:
Damunk wrote:

Oloye,

I put it down to people not understanding the team at all. Every player was not equal. While Finidi was a great player in his own right, I do not believe his absence from that SE team was particularly something that people would have missed. But you could not say the same of the 1980s team. Missing Odegbami and/or Chukwu DRASTICALLY changed the team. They were the TEAM. A third guy in that category was Thompson Usiyan. When he left, it was a BIG BLOW. Not only was that possibly the reason Nigeria did not qualify for the WC but it threatened the ability of the team winning the AFCON of 1980. Those p[layers were by far the SOUL of that team.

While Finidi was a star of the SE in the 1990s, he never rose to that class of IMPACT on the SE team on which he played. The only player in that team that approach the status of BIG CAN'T MISS player in the 1990s that I can think of right now is Rashidi Yekini. Think for one moment, Yekini being absent from the AFCON teams of 1990s. That is what Odegbami meant to the team in the 1970s-1980.

BTW, there are players from Odegbami's era that can be appropriately compared to Finidi's impact on the 1990s SE tea. A good choice would be ALOYSIUS ATUEGBU. He was a great player of that era that had a similar impact on his team as Finidi had in his own era. However, he was not the BIGGEST STAR of his era just as Finidi was not with the SE of his era.
Nothing more to add Prof. :clap:
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

People are twisting and turning themselves into a knot.
Don't know much about Odegbami, but with the quality of football played back then, there is no comparison.
Find played that position textbook perfect and against the best teams in the world. There is just no comparison. Finidi would have walked straight into the Dutch National Team starting 11, no questions asked. Ajax fans even said that. Finidi had no flair but he was supremely effective. He defended like a defender, attacked like a super striker while superbly being a conduit of Ajax deadly attack.

I have seen Odeggamni Youtube clips.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

ANC wrote:People are twisting and turning themselves into a knot.
Don't know much about Odegbami, but with the quality of football played back then, there is no comparison.
Find played that position textbook perfect and against the best teams in the world. There is just no comparison. Finidi would have walked straight into the Dutch National Team starting 11, no questions asked. Ajax fans even said that. Finidi had no flair but he was supremely effective. He defended like a defender, attacked like a super striker while superbly being a conduit of Ajax deadly attack.

ANC,

Unfortunately, the issue is not about the quality of football back then. If we use such a criterion Pele may not even make a World XI today. In addition, you may find a reserve on Brazil's 2020 team who may walk into the starting team of Brazil's 1970 WC winning team. Football has improved technically and individual fitness of players, etc. Thus, it is not about the technical state of football today v its counterpart of 1970.

Instead, the All star or an All-time team is about locating guys who were dominant in their era and then creating an All-Time team from those dominant players. If not, soon, Chukwueze will be regarded as better than Finidi and Osimhen already better than Yekini and some upstart unable to start for a 2nd division QPR of 2040 will be ranked ahead of Finidi in 2040. You get the drift.
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

Enugu II wrote:

ANC,

Unfortunately, the issue is not about the quality of football back then. If we use such a criterion Pele may not even make a World XI today. In addition, you may find a reserve on Brazil's 2020 team who may walk into the starting team of Brazil's 1970 WC winning team. Football has improved technically and individual fitness of players, etc. Thus, it is not about the technical state of football today v its counterpart of 1970.

Instead, the All star or an All-time team is about locating guys who were dominant in their era and then creating an All-Time team from those dominant players. If not, soon, Chukwueze will be regarded as better than Finidi and Osimhen already better than Yekini and some upstart unable to start for a 2nd division QPR of 2040 will be ranked ahead of Finidi in 2040. You get the drift.

Osimhen is with all the qualities to be better than Rashidi, QED
Chukwueze would be benched by Finidi till this day.
What you are saying about comparing players from different does hold water.
We are not comparing Chukwueze to odegbami, rather Finidi to Segun.
Según and Finidi played in the same era that Diego Maradona played, relatively. Its not really a stretch to compare the two.
Finidi never had the flair of Segun, Chukwueze, Dijani, etc, but the man was superiorly effective, comparatively.

An yes Finidi was dominant in his era, once rated as the best winger, ahead of Figo.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

ANC wrote:
Enugu II wrote:

ANC,

Según and Finidi played in the same era that Diego Maradona played, relatively. Its not really a stretch to compare the two.
Finidi never had the flair of Segun, Chukwueze, Dijani, etc, but the man was superiorly effective, comparatively.

An yes Finidi was dominant in his era, once rated as the best winger, ahead of Figo.
I do not agree that Segun and Finidi played in the same era. The two periods were MARKEDLY different. In Segun's period, the best Nigerian players played in Nigeria and made their mark there. In Finidi's era, the best Nigerian players played abroad. Those are two periods that can not be more different.

That Finidi's exploits in Ajax led to his ranking is not disputed. What we argue here is who was better playing for NIGERIA. I do not care about Ajax or any other club but NIGERIA. That is the debate.

Who is among the best players playing for Nigeria? Thus, in my view your argument should be restricted to exploits while playing for Nigeria. Not Ajax, not for any other European clubs.

It is based on that restriction that Finidi's exploits cannot in anyway be judged to be superior to Odegbami. Not when you look to their individual accomplishments in NIGERIA'S COLORS
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Oloye, no vex but if you think my point of view is based on "only the bad results whilst ignoring the good ones", then you don fail exam be dat. :taunt:
Or maybe you've not been following the debate and my input on the two (related) threads.
I've even dug up an old video of Odegbami scoring two different kinds of goals to his credit. So how you reached your faulty and self-serving conclusion is a little baffling. But no yawa.

Mine is a long-held and well thought out view, much like yours. You might not agree with it, but it is no more and no less valid than yours. :thumb:

Moreover, I stumbled across this brilliant quote in a similar discussion from many years ago which sums up what is going on now and recognises the inherent biases in these kind of debates:

"I am feeling both of these greats (Finidi & Enyeama)...but when you are pitched against mythical personalities with names and contribution so deeply embedded in the national pysche, you are battling in vain...."

Sound familiar? :D :D :D
paj
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by paj »

ANC wrote:
Enugu II wrote:

ANC,

SMH....U lost me at Chukwueze...I stopped reading..
The Brunch Mixtape Project
Available on all major streaming platforms :)
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

paj wrote:
ANC wrote:
Enugu II wrote:

ANC,

I lost u @ Yekini
Last edited by ANC on Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Enugu II wrote:BTW, there are players from Odegbami's era that can be appropriately compared to Finidi's impact on the 1990s SE tea. A good choice would be ALOYSIUS ATUEGBU. He was a great player of that era that had a similar impact on his team as Finidi had in his own era. However, he was not the BIGGEST STAR of his era just as Finidi was not with the SE of his era.
Whaaaaaaat? :shock: :shock: :shock:
Atuegbu?
Prof, do you know what 'an atuegbu' meant in soccer lingo (at least in Lagos)?
Even for many years after he left the scene sef!
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
paj
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by paj »

ANC wrote:
paj wrote:
ANC wrote:
Enugu II wrote:

ANC,

I lost u @ Yekini
U lost your mind @ login.. :sneaky: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
The Brunch Mixtape Project
Available on all major streaming platforms :)
Obong
Egg
Egg

Post by Obong »

With due respect to Finidi, Odegbami is a Nigerian football god. In our history, there have been stars and superstars. But, a select few get to that pantheon of gods. Their exploits, the stuff of legends: Christian Chukwu, Emmanuel Okala, Segun Odegbami, Muda Lawal, Stephen Keshi, Rashidi Yekini, Peter Rufai. JayJay Okocha and Vincent Enyeama. I may have missed a name or two. There, you have it.
"WE ARE THE SUPER EAGLES!!!"