Footballer jailed 5 years for Rape

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Footballer jailed 5 years for Rape

Post by benteke »

Prince wrote:
He didn’t even do it!

A jury disagreed. The facts remain that on 30 May 2011, Evans got a text from his friend, Clayton McDonald, to say that he had “got a bird”, neglecting to mention he had “got” her at 3am in the queue for pizza when she was so drunk that she fell over and twisted her ankle. In fact, she had drunk so much that she doesn’t remember how she got to the hotel room where she eventually woke up, her clothes scattered around the floor. But this isn’t about her actions: it’s about Evans. And he does remember. He remembers – and freely admits - that he got a taxi to the Premier Inn where McDonald had taken the 19 year-old, let himself into the room and watched his friend have sex with her. He then “got involved”, while his brother and another friend watched through a window and tried to film it on their phones. Evans left later that morning via a fire escape.

Evans doesn’t think this sequence of events makes him a rapist. But unfortunately for him the jury did, and it is from that foundation that all our conversations about Evans and his professional career should start. The Football Association are not able to overturn or ignore the decisions of our legal system. Should the decision be overturned in court, then it's a discussion that can be reopened.

and this is where the issue is at. He keeps insisting in public that he is innocent but there is a lot wrong with this sequence of events that he himself admits to have taken part in,

A good number of the furious people also have 18/19yr old daughters who go out and get drunk senseless, i sense thats where their anger is coming from.

unfortunately guys risk everything to get up to such stuff like this, this Ched Evans is lucky, i know an african brother who served prison and then deported straight back home after taking young drunk girl to his place
or you can read about this guy as well http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/ ... rl-6729079
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
Can the guy sue Cameron for trying to deprive him of his means of livelihood AFTER he paid his debt to society? The words of the PM can be quite weighty, you know.

Is Cameron implying that after serving a prison term, the ex-convict is neither rehabilitated nor punished seriously enough? If so, he as PM should clarify what he is doing to make the prison/justice system punitive and rehabilitative enough.
PM Cameron goes with the wind, any public opinion that he senses can gain him votes, he will go with it
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Mike Tyson is the nearest test case here. He was allowed to return to boxing and earn more millions after being convicted of raping Desiree Washington. Tyson also denies raping her to this day (like Evans).

Heck Lee Hughes went back to pro football after serving time for killing someone!
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
toyin133 wrote:
oloye wrote:
wiseone wrote:I am not aware of any law saying that ex-prisoners are never allowed to return to their former occupations ever again. Lots of armed robbers, rapists, fraudsters, and murderers happily return to former occupations after being released from prison.
One word bad belle..in this part of the world they envy success like anything, especially if you are one of them who broke out of the ranks to succeed. If he was a plumber or some electrician or construction worker no one would care if he goes back to work or not. The bone of contention here is that he has no right to go back and continue to earn mega buck or be successful. That is how they reason in this part of the world and the way of making sure you never leave them behind. There is a lot of badbelle...i fear oyinbo, especially when they appear to be happy for you ..you can just detect in whatever nice words they are saying to you elements of envy..some of them can barely mask it and they would find a way of letting you know.

The guy has served time and deserves another chance ..but not with these bitter people who would rather see him destroyed..not really because of the crime, but because he was fortunate to have a job that took him out of their class.
Kpom

Double Kpom.

When the Philadelphia Eagles signed Michael Vick, you would not believe the venom people were spewing, some invoking the name of God and talking about hellfire. For those who do not know, Vick is an NFL quarterback convicted for participating/running a dog-fighting operation. He served prison terms in both State and Federal Prisons for that. After his release, the Eagles signed him....

Thankfully, he became very popular in Philly for being the peacemaker on the team, a mentor for troubled kids, as well as for putting his finances in order (he came back from prison broke and in debt). I read an artictle about how he put himself on a strict budget/allowance for the first 2 yrs while paying his debts.

This was also the point I was making about the US when the OP "snapped" that this was a UK case. I read that felony convictions in the US makes job prospects near zero. Professionals lose their licenses (I think Bill Clinton lost his law License because of the Lewinski saga). I also think convicted felons in the US lose voting rights :shock: :shock: :shock:
Please don't compare Michael Vick to this man. Vick has shown remorse for his actions beyond measure, he's completely changed his image around unlike this guy. He speaks out against animal abuse out of his own pocket. You mentioned him being in debt, did you know that he could have filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy hence have had most of his debt forgiven, instead he did the noble thing and paid off the $18 million he owed in debt.
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

Prince wrote:It was trial by social media that happened to the guy, a woman genuinely felt she was raped, you dont have to apologise for the incident but atleast be contrite about the whole thing. On top of it your fans now started to threaten the girl that the police had to be protecting her.

HE has appealed but until the verdict he should have just kept it simple. but he released a video on social media and opened himself to trial by social media, within a day thousands had viewed and formed an opinion.
I hear you Prince like you rightly said his case is not the first, but if memory serves me right ,the euphoria sorrounding all these cases remain the same especially when it is one that makes it to the headline,everyone wants to use the opportunity to highlight their own agenda.

You and I do not the details of the story, if the guy feels genuinely done by a lying slut, then he has every right to mainain his inncocence. But the question also arises what if the fool who delights in sleeping with drunk lady is really guilty? Well the answer to that is simple, he has served time, whether he is remorse or not is immaterial, he has served time whether justifiably or not. Now if iy is true that the girl lied then the guy served time in vain, asking him to apologise is rather taking it too far.

The bottomline is he has served time and he should be free to move on with his life,anything more than this is public lynching.
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
Cristao II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cristao II »

One rule I learnt quickly during my uni days.

STAY AWAY FROM DRUNK WHITE FEMALES! STAY AWAY NO MATTER WHAT SHE DOES!! STAY THE EFF AWAY!!!
"Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud have we become, and how blind."

Primary: Lenovo Y410p: i5-4200M | 2GB Nvidia GT755M | 16GB DDR3L | 1000GB SSD | N2230 | LG24MP76 - Windows 10 64-Bit
Secondary: Dell Inspirion 1545: Core2Duo | 4GB RAM | 320GB 5400RPM - Linux Mint Cinnamon
Tertiary: Lenovo Legion 5 Pro: Ryzen 7 5800H | 32GB DDR4 | 2000GB SSD | 8GB NVidia RTX3070 - Windows 11 Pro
HTC U11+ - Xiaomi Mi8
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

Cristao II wrote:One rule I learnt quickly during my uni days.

STAY AWAY FROM DRUNK WHITE FEMALES! STAY AWAY NO MATTER WHAT SHE DOES!! STAY THE EFF AWAY!!!
The best rule...even the ones that are not drunk...they are so fickle! May be not all, but generally they have a way of reasoning that borders on fickleness.
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
Chingo Bling
Egg
Egg

Post by Chingo Bling »

Learnt that as well. But it's not easy if you are also intoxicated as well.
Btw, I'm yet to read any convincing legal argument as to why he should not be allowed to return to his former profession.
Comrade Machel
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Comrade Machel »

The court of public has won again :curse: :curse: The man has served his time, let him be. If he ends up resorting to criminality due to nil job prospects how will that benefit anyone :curse: :curse: The western world is now run to the dictates and sensibilities of women and feminists and the men better wake up fast :cry: :cry:

The justice system is bending more and more towards the accuser making it almost impossible for the accused to escape conviction as long as they had sex, consensual or not :boo: :boo:

Africa might have its problems but there are some areas where we are miles ahead e.g cases like this where the man doesnt get any benefit of doubt
Ratlala :thumbs: :D

https://youtu.be/8CZLsYase0Q
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

Chingo Bling wrote:

Learnt that as well. But it's not easy if you are also intoxicated as well.
Btw, I'm yet to read any convincing legal argument as to why he should not be allowed to return to his former profession.
Because there is none, when emotion run riot, it is hard to see any merit in it.

oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

The more i watch films that detail life in the medieval europe, the more i get an understanding of where their deep seated bitterness and class struggles comes from. And the more of man made laws i see at play the more afraid of man's attempt to build a replica of the city called Babel. A man has served time , whether he is truly guilty or not, the fact remains he has served time, justice has been done. Now anything or anyone that still seeks that such a man be punished further..that is not justice, that is lynching...mob rule. Just as an Irish friend of mine pointed out to me, the western society lives in grandiose delusion, pointing out the weaknesses of other societies while ignoring the failings in hers.

Suddenly white guys are fleeing from their own women, black women have become the vogue, especially those who have not imbibed fully the decadent values of the west.

Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

kalani JR wrote:
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
toyin133 wrote:
oloye wrote:
wiseone wrote:I am not aware of any law saying that ex-prisoners are never allowed to return to their former occupations ever again. Lots of armed robbers, rapists, fraudsters, and murderers happily return to former occupations after being released from prison.
One word bad belle..in this part of the world they envy success like anything, especially if you are one of them who broke out of the ranks to succeed. If he was a plumber or some electrician or construction worker no one would care if he goes back to work or not. The bone of contention here is that he has no right to go back and continue to earn mega buck or be successful. That is how they reason in this part of the world and the way of making sure you never leave them behind. There is a lot of badbelle...i fear oyinbo, especially when they appear to be happy for you ..you can just detect in whatever nice words they are saying to you elements of envy..some of them can barely mask it and they would find a way of letting you know.

The guy has served time and deserves another chance ..but not with these bitter people who would rather see him destroyed..not really because of the crime, but because he was fortunate to have a job that took him out of their class.
Kpom

Double Kpom.

When the Philadelphia Eagles signed Michael Vick, you would not believe the venom people were spewing, some invoking the name of God and talking about hellfire. For those who do not know, Vick is an NFL quarterback convicted for participating/running a dog-fighting operation. He served prison terms in both State and Federal Prisons for that. After his release, the Eagles signed him....

Thankfully, he became very popular in Philly for being the peacemaker on the team, a mentor for troubled kids, as well as for putting his finances in order (he came back from prison broke and in debt). I read an artictle about how he put himself on a strict budget/allowance for the first 2 yrs while paying his debts.

This was also the point I was making about the US when the OP "snapped" that this was a UK case. I read that felony convictions in the US makes job prospects near zero. Professionals lose their licenses (I think Bill Clinton lost his law License because of the Lewinski saga). I also think convicted felons in the US lose voting rights :shock: :shock: :shock:
Please don't compare Michael Vick to this man. Vick has shown remorse for his actions beyond measure, he's completely changed his image around unlike this guy. He speaks out against animal abuse out of his own pocket. You mentioned him being in debt, did you know that he could have filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy hence have had most of his debt forgiven, instead he did the noble thing and paid off the $18 million he owed in debt.
Junior:

1. Did you read my post
2. Did you understand it?
3. Do you want me to report you to Senior?

I live in Philly. I was ONLY pointing out how much venom Vick received despite ALREADY having served 2 prison times AND changing his image/turning his life around. To this day there are people who continue to curse him and the Eagle's organization that signed him. You would not believe the amount of venom some people still spit when you mention his name!
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
paj
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by paj »

oloye wrote:
Prince wrote:It was trial by social media that happened to the guy, a woman genuinely felt she was raped, you dont have to apologise for the incident but atleast be contrite about the whole thing. On top of it your fans now started to threaten the girl that the police had to be protecting her.

HE has appealed but until the verdict he should have just kept it simple. but he released a video on social media and opened himself to trial by social media, within a day thousands had viewed and formed an opinion.
I hear you Prince like you rightly said his case is not the first, but if memory serves me right ,the euphoria sorrounding all these cases remain the same especially when it is one that makes it to the headline,everyone wants to use the opportunity to highlight their own agenda.

You and I do not the details of the story, if the guy feels genuinely done by a lying slut, then he has every right to mainain his inncocence. But the question also arises what if the fool who delights in sleeping with drunk lady is really guilty? Well the answer to that is simple, he has served time, whether he is remorse or not is immaterial, he has served time whether justifiably or not. Now if iy is true that the girl lied then the guy served time in vain, asking him to apologise is rather taking it too far.

The bottomline is he has served time and he should be free to move on with his life,anything more than this is public lynching.
:clap:
I dont know why people feel like he has to cater to their own feelings when he deeply believes he was wrongly convicted ?The fact that he's fighting so hard to clear his name shows deep down he knows something was amiss...his focus will be on clearing his name, not trying to cuddle up with public opinion with a statement of remorse. As for anyone comparing this to the Vick case, U have issues.Vick was caught redhanded...this one is hearsey with video evidence unused..abeggi!!!
I'm just glad a club is standing up for him...I hope he gets the gig to play
The Brunch Mixtape Project
Available on all major streaming platforms :)
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
kalani JR wrote:
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
toyin133 wrote:
oloye wrote:

Kpom

Double Kpom.

Junior:

1. Did you read my post

I live in Philly. I was ONLY pointing out how much venom Vick received despite ALREADY having served 2 prison times AND changing his image/turning his life around. To this day there are people who continue to curse him and the Eagle's organization that signed him. You would not believe the amount of venom some people still spit when you mention his name!
I personally believe a lot of the reaction to the Vick case was based on racism. What was saying was that Vick showed plenty of remorse when released and made efforts to prove he had learnt from his mistakes and was willing to make right what he could. This Evans guy has done no such thing, and is in fact trying to paint himself as a victim.
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

kalani JR wrote:
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
kalani JR wrote:
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
toyin133 wrote:
oloye wrote:

Kpom

Double Kpom.

Junior:

1. Did you read my post

I personally believe a lot of the reaction to the Vick case was based on racism. What was saying was that Vick showed plenty of remorse when released and made efforts to prove he had learnt from his mistakes and was willing to make right what he could. This Evans guy has done no such thing, and is in fact trying to paint himself as a victim.
What if he is a victim..is there anything wrong in a guy fighting to prove his innocence. May be Vicks was truly guilty and admitted he was. As far as the case is concerned the guy is not being retried again, he has served time, he has paid the price..now whether he apologises or not is a moral dilemma for debate, he has not broken any law. The question remains, what if the guy went to prison wrongly accused, after all it is not the first time some of these girls have cried wolf where there was none.

bushboy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bushboy »

I have tried to stay away from this thread as much as I can, due to my very strong opinion on the issue of rape, but as an attorney, let me say this:

What Ched Evans did is 100% rape! There is no amount of appealing that will ever overturn his conviction. The central issue in ALL rape cases is consent. It is not whether the girl went to a hotel room at 3 AM. It is not whether she "knew what she was getting into"...it is the simple question of did she consent to have sex with Ched Evans, and clearly, by all accounts the answer is NO.

There is a popular case out of Texas (British law might be different) of a girl who went to her boyfriend's house. Not drunk. Very sober and aware. During her visit, she had sex with her boyfriend then fell asleep. Somehow, while she slept, the boyfriend's roommate snuck into bed with her and started kissing/touching her. She kissed and touched him back and they ended up having sex. In the morning, she claimed she had been raped becuase she assumed the person who was touching her, and who she was consenting to sleep with was her boyfriend. A jury agreed, and the roommate was convicted.

If the above stands for a girl who had not been drinking, how much more for a clearly drunk woman? Going to the hotel to have sex with one guy does not transfer her consent to Ched. He went there, and took advantage of the situation, and he definately is a rapist.

Any man who claims he is innocent based on the facts, is an animal and deserves all the venom spewed at him.
Bushboy's bushmen : 1.Isaac Success 2. Terem Moffi 3. Victor Boniface 4. Samuel Omorodion. 5. Samson Tijani. 6. Rafiu Durosinmi.
Who will be next?
Cito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cito »

That my brother is my rule of thumb. If she is tipsy, stay away. If she is drunk, stay the heck away. If she is smashed, go to a different time zone if you can.
"Learn from others whom have walked the path before you, but be smart enough to know when to cut your own trail."
Cito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cito »

oloye wrote:

The best rule...even the ones that are not drunk...they are so fickle! May be not all, but generally they have a way of reasoning that borders on fickleness.
I once had an incident where a white chic who works for the city was gonna lock up my wheel(I parked in the wrong spot) while I was walking to the car. I plead with her to stop since I was already there before she started. She refused and pushed me out of the way. I got in my car and she called the cops that I pushed and hit her. Lucky for me, a guy, white man who saw the incident called cops at the same time as she did and 2 different cops arrived minutes apart.
'Her cop ' was more than eager to get me in hand cuffs while the next cop arriving was surprised at the turn of events. The good Man who called cops on her came out and said what he saw. I try as much since then to keep away from any unknown chic no matter what the situation is. I refused to sign off on her arrest and just went my way.
"Learn from others whom have walked the path before you, but be smart enough to know when to cut your own trail."
Mr. Piffington
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Mr. Piffington »

benteke wrote:
AreaDaddy wrote:Chad Evans has been released but his release is proving even more controversial than his jailing. People are fighting to ensure he never returns to the professional game.

I came see people's anger but I think it is misdirected, the anger should should be at the political and judicial system.
Ched Evans is not doing himself any favours as well,

firstly he seems keen to publicly insist his innocence and that comes across as if he has no remorse, i think he could have handled that better by publicly apologising profusely and admitting he made a very big error in sleeping with a very drunk girl, coz thats all he did if im not mistaken

at this point maybe he should just lie low and maybe even change profession and venture into something else, i wonder what he can do with such a conviction on his record, maybe construction.
but hes gonna be alright, its not the end of the world for him
Insane. If he feels he is innocent then he has every right to state he is and fight for his name. Apologizing and admitting he made a big error would be an admission of guilt. And why should he lay low? Why should he change profession? Why should he stop living and doing what he enjoys doing because he was accused and convicted rightly or wrongly?
This post was made by Appitti who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by bully12 who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by COOKING SPOON who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by danfo driver who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by muzines who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by ohenhen1 who is currently on your ignore list.
kalamashaka
Egg
Egg

Post by kalamashaka »

bushboy wrote:I have tried to stay away from this thread as much as I can, due to my very strong opinion on the issue of rape, but as an attorney, let me say this:

What Ched Evans did is 100% rape! There is no amount of appealing that will ever overturn his conviction. The central issue in ALL rape cases is consent. It is not whether the girl went to a hotel room at 3 AM. It is not whether she "knew what she was getting into"...it is the simple question of did she consent to have sex with Ched Evans, and clearly, by all accounts the answer is NO.

There is a popular case out of Texas (British law might be different) of a girl who went to her boyfriend's house. Not drunk. Very sober and aware. During her visit, she had sex with her boyfriend then fell asleep. Somehow, while she slept, the boyfriend's roommate snuck into bed with her and started kissing/touching her. She kissed and touched him back and they ended up having sex. In the morning, she claimed she had been raped becuase she assumed the person who was touching her, and who she was consenting to sleep with was her boyfriend. A jury agreed, and the roommate was convicted.

If the above stands for a girl who had not been drinking, how much more for a clearly drunk woman? Going to the hotel to have sex with one guy does not transfer her consent to Ched. He went there, and took advantage of the situation, and he definately is a rapist.

Any man who claims he is innocent based on the facts, is an animal and deserves all the venom spewed at him.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I was just reading this thread shaking my head and resisting strongly the urge to reply to some folks!
"How many white men went in the party that destroyed Abame?"
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

bushboy wrote:I have tried to stay away from this thread as much as I can, due to my very strong opinion on the issue of rape, but as an attorney, let me say this:

I can't argue with your points. However, the issue here is that whether he is an animal, or scumbag who denies his crime, the justice system found him GUILTY and sentenced him. As a consequence, should he be allowed, BY LAW to practice his profession and make a living?
AFCON 2019 sweet o

kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

oloye wrote: What if he is a victim..is there anything wrong in a guy fighting to prove his innocence. May be Vicks was truly guilty and admitted he was. As far as the case is concerned the guy is not being retried again, he has served time, he has paid the price..now whether he apologises or not is a moral dilemma for debate, he has not broken any law. The question remains, what if the guy went to prison wrongly accused, after all it is not the first time some of these girls have cried wolf where there was none.
This man is a true piece of $#%, here is what he (or his team) did.
The woman was 19 when Evans was found to have raped her in a Premier Inn room in 2011 that he had booked for use during a night out in Rhyl with his friend, Clayton McDonald, also a footballer, who brought her there after bumping into her in a kebab shop at 4am. The website shows CCTV footage of her and McDonald arriving, over which it invites the public to “Judge for yourself” whether she was so drunk as to be incapable of consenting to the sex that Evans had with her after he arrived in the room and she was asked if he could “join in” with McDonald. The jury that heard the evidence found she was too drunk to consent to sex with Evans, while acquitting McDonald of rape.
Advertisement

The woman’s father has complained that the footage, by only blurring her face, leaves her identifiable, which is a specific criminal offence. The website, maintaining Evans’ innocence, also makes adverse references to the victim’s reputation, despite this evidence having been ruled inadmissible in court. A long narrative about the trial, which argues the verdict was perverse, concludes by reporting, in that context, that the prosecutor, John Philpotts, turned to Evans’ family and said: “I am so sorry.”

The Crown Prosecution Service told the Guardian that Philpotts was essentially showing some human consideration: “Mr Philpotts expressed understandable empathy for the distress which the family of a defendant had clearly felt during the trial and at its conclusion. He did not apologise for the properly brought verdict in this case.”
http://www.theguardian.com/football/blo ... are_btn_tw

If you think what he is going through is hell, then Satan himself will suffer if he was to spend just a moment in the life of the lady who accused him. She has had to change her identity multiple times and has next to no hope of a normal life.
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Bushboy:

Let me ask you a question that has always bothered me. I am asking because you are an attorney, and would likely know more than regular folks, especially as it would not be easy to have an ex-con willingly step up here and answer the question.

Is prison rape of men by other men as common as anecdotally reported in jokes, movies, etc? For example, every time one reads an article about someone convicted for a crime, the comments' section is usually full of such jokes "bubba", "dropping the soap", etc.

Not trying to cheapen this discussion here, but maybe this ex-footballer got raped in prison, hence he is bitter and unapologetic?
AFCON 2019 sweet o