I Want to Help Eagles Lift Nations' Cup - Utaka

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Shownoja
Egg
Egg
I Want to Help Eagles Lift Nations' Cup - Utaka

Post by Shownoja »

http://www.thisdayonline.com/

The first shot at him was why he reported late to camp, he replied: "I didn't come late. I was in constant contact with the coach and it was an agreement between him and my club that I should leave when the other African players who were in the same situation with me left. And that's what I did."

Asked to assess the chances of the Super Eagles, Utaka submitted, "While I agree it's more desirable to spend a long time together in camp, I don't think this will affect us adversely. We're not totally new to ourselves and those who didn't come early were actively engaged in their clubs."

His French club, RC Lens, parades a lot of players that will be featuring in the forthcoming Nations Cup, to this he said, "Oh yes, we joked about the Nations Cup a lot. I shared a lot of jokes with Rigobert Song (Cameroon's captain), (Mali's) Seydou Keita and (Senegal's) Bouba Pape Diop about the tournament. And it's from these jokes that I realised how these teams respect Nigeria."

"I told Song before we left that this Nations Cup will be different from the past. I reminded him that it's been long since we won it and we're desperate for our third trophy. Cameroon might have beaten us in the past but even they know they cannot take us for granted."

"The last time they beat us they knew they were just lucky. We came back from two goals down before they won through penalties. Even Song admitted they'll have to be very careful when playing Nigeria because he says we've a lot of young players who're determined to make name for themselves."

He continued, "We joked about a lot of things, really. I mocked him how we beat them 3-0 in the LG Cup and he responded by reminding me of our 2-0 loss to their U-23 squad in the All-Africa Games. It was that lively in our (Lens) camp but I can assure you that everybody has mutual respect for other players' teams."

Responding to why he was not in the Mali 2002 Nations Cup, the dark-complexioned attacker said, "I first of all have to thank God for His grace and mercies. I'll say my selection this time is just the way God wants it. I have been very active for my club this term just as I was equally active on the way to Mali. But maybe because God had already decreed that I would not go to Mali so I missed the tournament."

Continuing, he held that: "Like I said, it's God because I don't want to blame anybody for what happened that time. But since you're keen to know what happened, I'll tell you the story. I was in Qatar at the time and I got a letter from the NFA asking me to join them in Egypt for a pre-tournament friendly game scheduled with the Egyptian national team.

"I went as directed, but, as you know, the friendly did not hold. I waited to receive further instructions from the coaches or the NFA but nobody got back to me until I called one of the players who then told me that my name was not among the selected team for the tournament. I went back to my club and that was it."

Utaka was asked what was his personal ambition in Tunisia to which he replied, "Yes, it's my second major tournament for Nigeria but this is my first Nations Cup just as it's going to be my first time in Tunisia. So all I'm saying is that it's going to be a new experience for me whichever way you look at it. However, I pray to have a good tournament, play very well throughout the competition, give 110% performance, score a lot of goals and help my country to lift the cup.

"Our destiny is in God's hands and I believe with hard work and luck on our side we'll leave Tunisia with something good by His grace.

Given the option to imagine if the Eagles would not win in Tunisia, he reacted, "Uh ... (Long silence) ... For me, I'm a positive person and I want to lift the cup in Tunisia. But I know you could be very persistent and would want me to say something. In that case I'd say reaching the Final will be the next acceptable achievement if we fail to win the cup."

"Yes, having finished in the third place in Mali, nothing short of silver will be an improvement. But I can tell you that if we play in the Final, it will be difficult for any team to beat us.

On which team can spring a surprise in Tunisia, he had this to say, "Yes, every team going there will be going with the mind to achieve something and I think Mali could really be the surprise team of the tournament. I'm just surprised that nobody is talking about them but this is a team with great potentials and huge exposure. Most of their players play in France and I can say they're almost at the same level with Senegal. A lot of people are talking about Senegal but nobody is rating Mali and I think this could really work in their favour. There could be other teams who could spring one or two surprises but I think Mali is in the top position in that category.

On what is his parting short to Nigerians as he goes to represent them in Tunisia, the shy but fluent speaking Utaka said: "They should keep praying for us. We're determined to make them proud in Tunisia."
To stop trying is to start dying
ruff'n'tuff
Egg
Egg

Post by ruff'n'tuff »

Well spoken.
who no know go know.
charlie
Egg
Egg

Post by charlie »

The guy is sound. I predict he is going to be one of Nigeria's favourite sons very soon.

Good luck John. Good luck to you all Super Eagles.
We are with you...
Kola nut lasts long for those that savor it
Larry Ashagbe

Post by Larry Ashagbe »

Well said.
torontoeagle
Egg
Egg

Post by torontoeagle »

This is the type of positive info we need on this forum...........not info like "I hope Okocha injures himself"

Thanks Shownoja
T-Dot
Dodo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dodo »

He is one i hope will be the nezt superstar of nigerian football
torontoeagle
Egg
Egg

Post by torontoeagle »

You bet....................he's a star in the making ..........

Dodo wrote:He is one i hope will be the nezt superstar of nigerian football
T-Dot
Larry Ashagbe

Post by Larry Ashagbe »

I was talking to him just this minute and reading the interview back to him and he confirmed that he said those words to some journnalist.
torontoeagle
Egg
Egg

Post by torontoeagle »

That's nice to know
Larry Ashagbe wrote:I was talking to him just this minute and reading the interview back to him and he confirmed that he said those words to some journnalist.
T-Dot
Naija fan
Egg
Egg

Post by Naija fan »

That's why I like this guy.
"It is not who you are that holds you back, it's who you think you are not."
so__so_scandalous
Egg
Egg

Post by so__so_scandalous »

damn cameroon, mali and senegal captains all in one team. I've been a fan of utaka's for a while because his talent is unquestionable. I hope he comes into his own at tunisia.
Sampo
Egg
Egg

Post by Sampo »

Much respect to Utaka! He sounds like the voice of the future leadership within the SE.
S a m p o
Fly, Eagles! Fly!!!
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

ruff'n'tuff wrote:Well spoken.
Yes, but he should try and pass di ball more and stop running interference for other players...
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
daddyrich
Egg
Egg

Post by daddyrich »

Is that not the same song some akuna-kuna journalist said had no respect for our team?
Baxter Onigbinde's second coming is the most disingenious stint ever in Nigerian coaching history.
Dog Bruno
Egg
Egg

Post by Dog Bruno »

I Want to Help Eagles Lift Nations' Cup - Utaka .....how is he gonna do that - Dog Bruno
You are Your Own Dog
chief nfachairman
Egg
Egg

Post by chief nfachairman »

well said ..

the people that are abusing CCC for having Ekong a chinese based player did not course out Onigbinde for taking Utaka to the World Cup. Then he was playing in Qatar.
Shownoja
Egg
Egg

Post by Shownoja »

Larry Ashagbe wrote:I was talking to him just this minute and reading the interview back to him and he confirmed that he said those words to some journnalist.
So you see, not all Nigerian journalist print crap. Give the guys back home some kudos from time to time.
To stop trying is to start dying
Bell

Post by Bell »

YES, THEY ARE NOT NEW TO EACH OTHER AND...

...true, they've been active in their clubs and fitness will therefore not be an issue. But that's not why people are unhappy about their tardiness. People are unhappy because it resurrects uncomfortable reminders of legendary Nigeria's chaotic, disorganized and undisciplined preparation process.
Bell