Lawal,Utaka fire Eagles to victory vs Cologne.Match Reports

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

La Reussi
Egg
Egg
Lawal,Utaka fire Eagles to victory vs Cologne.Match Reports

Post by La Reussi »

Source Complete football

Much maligned Garba Lawal turned the Eagles cornerstone on Tuesday evening in Faro when he alongside RC Lens striker,John Utaka fired the Eagles to their fourth win in four exhibition games in Faro, portugal.Lawal,who will be playing his club football in the USA afterthe Nations cup,scored a brace and utaka scored once, to give the SE a 3-2 win over FC cologne.

The match began with the Germans probing the Eagles defence for an early goal, but met in Isaac Okoronkwo, a real rock of Gilbratar who thwarted all their efforts with Abbey George on the right and Udeze complementing okoronkwo's man-of-the-match display.

The half wasn't an entirely Cologne affair as the Se also had their fair share of possesion and dominance with Utaka(on the right) and Lawal(on the left),causing some anxious moments in the Germans box eighteen.

The first half ended goalless to pave way for a more interesting second half which produced five goals.

The Germans began the half the same way they started the first and were rewarded witha goal seven minutes from the re-start.

The goal on 52minutes came vis an indirect free kick, which the Eagles defence, minus okoronkwo who had been substituted,failed to stop.The Eagles responded with Utaka, now moved to the centre after the entrance of second half's man-of-the-match pius Ikedia and Lawal in blazing form.

Lawal would later grab the equalizer on 66minutes with a thunderous shot which sailed unaided into the net.

With Lawal's goal,the eagles took near complete control of proceedings and scored the second goal 10minutes later through Utaka, who latched on to a through pass,rounded the cologne goalkeeper ala Ronaldo, before slotting the ball into the net.

To the surprise of the scanty crowd,cologne hit back almost immediately (78mins) with the equaliser before Lawal made victory certain in the 82nd minute with another acorcher.

La Reussi
In all things and every situation, give thanks to God.
anointed
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anointed »

This should be an eye witness account as Complete Sports ( not Complete Football, I guess, though the same stable) has a reporter by the name Qasim Elegbede in Faro.

What I'm concerned with is how the Germans scored their goals. I don't think we should be conceding cheeky goals from indirect free kicks at this stage. Who organises our walls dhen we defend set pieces?

The 2nd goal goal was not well described but if we have to go by other reports on CE yesterday, which said a cross, then we should be wiping sweat off our brows when Tunisia starts.

The story also suggests (mine) that there might have been a loss of concentration after we scored our 2nd goal as the Germs replied immediately. More like individual performance than team work.

We still got work to do; may be when JJ hits Tunisai on Thursday.
TOUCH NOT MY ANOINTED...
For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding...hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe
geminikoat
Egg
Egg

Post by geminikoat »

We can score as well as conceed goals. It's ok to score against a Koln team with nothing at stake. It'll be harder in the ANC especially if we conceed any easy goals. The defence and goal keeping is where our weaknesses lie.
...but with God all things are possible...
Dodo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dodo »

All reports seem to say the same thing,
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

I find it disturbing that every mediocre team has scored at least 2 goals against the Eagles in Faro.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
Shownoja
Egg
Egg

Post by Shownoja »

1naija wrote:I find it disturbing that every mediocre team has scored at least 2 goals against the Eagles in Faro.
That's not a fair comment. If you look at it objectively, you will see that it was when changes were made that the goal was scored. The second half defenders had not had enough time to sort themselves out before the goal went in. Anyways, we regrouped and won, which is what is important. The boys are capable of overcoming adversity.
To stop trying is to start dying
Gotti

Post by Gotti »

anointed wrote:The story also suggests (mine) that there might have been a loss of concentration after we scored our 2nd goal as the Germs replied immediately. More like individual performance than team work.
I have never seen such a LEAP OF LOGIC since some folks decided that the earth was flat because they walk on it!
Obong
Egg
Egg

Post by Obong »

The match report is consistent with a training match's.When the crunch comes,the Eagles will respond.I'm delighted that Okoronkwo,Abbey,Udeze,Utaka,and Ikedia were singled out.Kickoff also credited Aghahowa with an assist on Lawal's second goal.However,we need to watch our traditional weakness at quick restarts and set piece defending.Mental awareness and team communication is a must for 90 minutes.Maybe we should consider appointing a midfielder to do the job of languishing in front of the ball until the wall or defence is set.
"WE ARE THE SUPER EAGLES!!!"
Goldleaf
Egg
Egg

Post by Goldleaf »

It seems as if the unrelenting Garba Lawal is on the way to eclipsing Ifeanyi Ekwueme on the left side of midfield.
Robbynice

Post by Robbynice »

Goldleaf wrote:It seems as if the unrelenting Garba Lawal is on the way to eclipsing Ifeanyi Ekwueme on the left side of midfield.
You got that right. Lawal will prove alot of people wrong at the ANC and serve out a lot humble pies in the process. I can't wait.
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Gotti wrote:
anointed wrote:The story also suggests (mine) that there might have been a loss of concentration after we scored our 2nd goal as the Germs replied immediately. More like individual performance than team work.
I have never seen such a LEAP OF LOGIC since some folks decided that the earth was flat because they walk on it!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Gotti, please spare my ribs. You don craze finish!
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

Neither can I Robby buddy...neither can I.
O-Qua Tangin Wann! Die with memories, not dreams.™

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯