HIS MOTHER SPEAKS IN THE SUN. READ ON.

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

oluwaseye the 1st.
Egg
Egg
HIS MOTHER SPEAKS IN THE SUN. READ ON.

Post by oluwaseye the 1st. »

Obafemi’s mum breaks silence, says...'Don't Crucify My Son'

Inter Milan striker, Obafemi Martins’ mum, Alhaja Iyabo Martins, says she wished her son, Obafemi, was able to honour the invitation to feature for the Super Eagles at Tunisia 2004 African Nations Cup.
The 53-year-old mother of seven, told Daily Sunsport that she had advised her son to feature for the Super Eagles, if it was convenient for him.
"But, you know I can’t force him. His decision not to attend was a personal one, which he took after giving considerations to his body, mind and the situation in his club," Madam Martins said.
‘Alhaja’, as she is popularly called in her neighbourhood, said she had resolved to back her son’s decision not to feature, just as she would have naturally done if the player had accepted to play at the tournament, which will be kicking off this weekend.

The Family
If fame and fortune were about to smile at the doorsteps of her family, Alhaja did not seem to care. Cheerfully and informally, she welcomed our reporter to her home last Saturday. The storey building at Orile Iganmu in Lagos, is shared with family members and other residents.
Alhaja, surrounded by other members of the family, including Biodun, Martins’ elder brother, and Kayode, the half-brother, spoke about her family; her experience when she visited her son in Milan, Italy recently, and Obafemi’s decision not to go to Tunisia.
Although she had offered to speak through an interpreter for purpose of charity, Alhaja would intervene with pidgin anytime she felt her opinion was not properly expressed.
"I am 53 years old and a trader. I’m also a Lagosian. I have seven children, four boys and three girls. Obafemi is my fifth child. He’s about 19 years old now. You can judge by looking at his friends (points to two of Obafemi’s friends and school teammates at Coker Secondary School."

Husband
"My husband, Mr. Julius Akinwunmi Obafemi Martins, died last year. Until his death, he was a building superintendent with the Federal Ministry of Works."
Kayode Martins, who is one of the man’s eldest sons, added that the family’s lineage could be traceable to Ijebu-Ijesha in present day Osun State.
"I learnt my late husband played football during his youth days. He even represented his club in a competition in Ghana. Since I didn’t play football, I believe Obafemi took after his father.
"My eldest son, Ladipo, is also playing football overseas (He plays for Partizan Belgrade youth team).
“I can’t remember when these children started playing football. They just did it with their colleagues in school and outside. For me, they were just playing like other boys out there.
"I thank Allah for raising them. You know, I am a moslem but my late husband was a christian, so the children were free to chose any religion between the two.
"Obafemi has brought a lot of changes to my life. Because of his success, people now accord us more respect and honour. But I have to be myself, I try also to accord everyone respect too.
"I run a provisions store, which I still attend to regularly the way I did before. I’m not going to play football now. So, my own business is what I manage.

Italy
Few months ago, I was in Milan, Italy, to see Akin (as she calls Obafemi). I saw his ‘oga’ (boss) and co-players. They were all nice people. I like the city, it was very clean and quiet. I thought I could count the number of people in the entire city. The streets were very clean and if you get to the hospital, you would wish to lie down and sleep. You won’t see people rushing and struggling for buses. It’s a cool city. But I feel Nigeria has money more than them.
"I am sorry, I would not like to go there again, because of the cold weather. The cold was too severe that I couldn’t go out as I planned. I don’t think I can bear it a second time."

Tunisia 2004
"When I was in Italy, the man Nigeria sent, (Secretary General of the Nigeria Football Association, Taiwo Ogunjobi), came to see us. After the discussions, all of us agreed that Obafemi would honour the invitation to play in Tunisia, but I was equally aware that Obafemi had a lot of things to consider. Nevertheless, I advised him to go and play. But I also told him to make his decision, based on how convenient it would be for him. I was not there to force him.
"I didn’t stop him from representing Nigeria. He is still a small ‘pikin’ (young boy), and that was why I asked you to look at his playmates.
"I would be happy and will encourage him if he agrees to play, but if he says no, I think we should respect his decision. He has to consider the state of his body, mind and the situation in his club. I know he is anxious to play for Nigeria but he has to be ready to do it better.
"I don’t want Nigerians to crucify him. Let’s give him sometime, and I know very soon, he would be ready to play for Nigeria.
"The club (Inter) reluctantly agreed to release him but it was clear they did not do it with their full mind. Since he is still young and new there, they may give him problems when he comes back, then, nobody will be there to assist him.
"That’s why I would want Nigerians to see reasons with him. As for me, I am fully in support of him. I have always known him as a determined and ambitious boy. If he wants to do anything, he would do it perfectly, he does not shy away from his duties."

Back

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
oluwaseye the 1st.
Egg
Egg

Post by oluwaseye the 1st. »

Since there is nothing interesting to read on this site at present, i decided to wind some people up by posting this story.I tried pasting her picture as well but i was unable to. Happy afternoon read :lol:
Truth needs no support system, it can stand firmly on its legs!!

COYS
Guv007
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Guv007 »

still the smoke screen on why he doesn't want to play for the SE.
Red Dwarf - Legion

Rimmer: Step up to Red Alert
Kryten: Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb.
Rimmer: There's always some excuse, isn't there?
DIMKA76
Egg
Egg

Post by DIMKA76 »

Na omo cameroun :mrgreen:
WE ARE ALL TOGETHER!!
VINDAVE

Post by VINDAVE »

ok, we don hear. we pray he accept to play next time he is invited - that is if NFA accept this as a good excuse too.
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

DIMKA76 wrote:Na omo cameroun :mrgreen:
Love it. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Arsène Wenger at Arsenal, 1996 to 2018. I was there.
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

...well - she seems to have verified Martins' age! ("he is about 19 years old now").
lagos777
Egg
Egg

Post by lagos777 »

The club (Inter) reluctantly agreed to release him but it was clear they did not do it with their full mind. Since he is still young and new there, they may give him problems when he comes back, then, nobody will be there to assist him.
"That’s why I would want Nigerians to see reasons with him. As for me, I am fully in support of him. I have always known him as a determined and ambitious boy. If he wants to do anything, he would do it perfectly, he does not shy away from his duties."
The more reason we should have made sure he doesn't play for inter if we could have. They have to understand that their hamstringing won't work next time they try it .
Mike Ditka quote :
"I didn't say it in those general terms but I said it like that".
Kako
Egg
Egg

Post by Kako »

"My husband, Mr. Julius Akinwunmi Obafemi Martins, died last year. Until his death, he was a building superintendent with the Federal Ministry of Works."
Kayode Martins, who is one of the man’s eldest sons, added that the family’s lineage could be traceable to Ijebu-Ijesha in present day Osun State.

Is that in Bakassi or Cameroun :?:
Ara lao mada o, ao ni daran.
Arambara!

Ohamadike of Ijebu Igbo in Biafra land

I am a cat face yorobber son of Afonja skull miner!
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by 27 »

Although she had offered to speak through an interpreter for purpose of charity, Alhaja would intervene with pidgin anytime she felt her opinion was not properly expressed.
Charity or clarity? Did one naira go to a charity for every word interpreted?
Shownoja
Egg
Egg

Post by Shownoja »

"about 19 years" can mean absolutely anything. :mrgreen:
To stop trying is to start dying
shaq
Egg
Egg

Post by shaq »

...and the bad bellus continues **** shakes head ***** Image
monkeypost
Egg
Egg

Post by monkeypost »

Uhm.
If you give me Cole and I give you Gallas, surely, SURELY, you owe me money? waka man on the Cole Gallas transfer saga
Guv007
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Guv007 »

Kako wrote:"My husband, Mr. Julius Akinwunmi Obafemi Martins, died last year. Until his death, he was a building superintendent with the Federal Ministry of Works."

Is that in Bakassi or Cameroun :?:
Are you really asking?
Mbape
Egg
Egg

Post by Mbape »

If I was one of those crucifying Martins on this forum, I'd feel a little ashamed right about now. Seriously.

I wish you could have put the picture, Olu. I think sometimes people need to see the faces of the people they are hurting.
omotori
Egg
Egg

Post by omotori »

So we finally know that Inter reluctanly agreed to release him but Martins made the personal decision not to go.

So finally we can see "the Oba has no clothes".

Martins may have made a big mistake.

We will invite him again when we are ready. - In five years.
Schillachi
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Schillachi »

omotori wrote:So we finally know that Inter reluctanly agreed to release him but Martins made the personal decision not to go.

So finally we can see "the Oba has no clothes".

Martins may have made a big mistake.

We will invite him again when we are ready. - In five years.
sharap mister man.. stop talking rubbish to my ears...
NIGERIAN BADBOY!
kaycee2g

Post by kaycee2g »

Omotori, *(&^$ u and *(&^$ the eagles. u think if the NFA refuse to invite martins he will suffer?? my friend go and think about ur own life. :x
Naija fan
Egg
Egg
Re: HIS MOTHER SPEAKS IN THE SUN. READ ON.

Post by Naija fan »

oluwaseye the 1st. wrote:
"The club (Inter) reluctantly agreed to release him but it was clear they did not do it with their full mind. Since he is still young and new there, they may give him problems when he comes back, then, nobody will be there to assist him."That’s why I would want Nigerians to see reasons with him. As for me, I am fully in support of him. I have always known him as a determined and ambitious boy. If he wants to do anything, he would do it perfectly, he does not shy away from his duties."

Back

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is what most of us have been saying about this whole thing. Are we so selfish in our desire to win that we are willing to jeopadise the livlihood of a young boy just starting out. Like his mother said, if he comes back and has problems with his club like a lot of players do after the ANC, who will be there to help him? The NFA?
Last edited by Naija fan on Wed Jan 21, 2004 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It is not who you are that holds you back, it's who you think you are not."
Obong
Egg
Egg

Post by Obong »

Martins made a mistake.And for those that criticized Ogunjobi,at least we can see the extent he went to personally convince the lad.We await the future and the repercussions.
"WE ARE THE SUPER EAGLES!!!"
omotori
Egg
Egg

Post by omotori »

Schillacchi/Kaycee2g,

what makes Martins career situation different or more special than the other players.

why is it OK for a player to say he will play for his country when he is ready and expect that we should keep beggin him when we have numerous other strikers.

thats pitiful ignorance on his part & your part too.
kaycee2g

Post by kaycee2g »

Omotori, what makes u diff from those ppl who went back home in 1999 when OBJ called on evey Nigerian to come back home. I really believe it is stupididty on ur part. :evil:
omotori
Egg
Egg

Post by omotori »

as I said before, no Italian 19 yesr old would ever do what Martins did. and I would not be surprised if even the Inter management has lost respect for Martins.

There was no more risk to his career than for Yobo, JJ, Utaka, Olofinjana & others.

because he is playing for big-time Inter, big-deal.