HIS MOTHER SPEAKS IN THE SUN. READ ON.

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

omotori
Egg
Egg

Post by omotori »

kaycee2g wrote:Omotori, what makes u diff from those ppl who went back home in 1999 when OBJ called on evey Nigerian to come back home. I really believe it is stupididty on ur part. :evil:
Kaycee2G, youve started with insult.

This is not about giving up ones job & going home to live. Its about taking 3 weeks off to represent ones country. It is not an unusual situation for any club.

You still cannot answer the question why Martins is more at risk than the other eagus. Are they dumb for showing up for Nigeria.
mastermind
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mastermind »

omotori wrote:as I said before, no Italian 19 yesr old would ever do what Martins did. and I would not be surprised if even the Inter management has lost respect for Martins.

There was no more risk to his career than for Yobo, JJ, Utaka, Olofinjana & others.

because he is playing for big-time Inter, big-deal.
italian don't send invitation to unproving rookie to play for their national side. stop crying and let the kid grow. this old no get sense self.
Kako
Egg
Egg

Post by Kako »

Guv007 wrote:
Kako wrote:"My husband, Mr. Julius Akinwunmi Obafemi Martins, died last year. Until his death, he was a building superintendent with the Federal Ministry of Works."
Kayode Martins, who is one of the man’s eldest sons, added that the family’s lineage could be traceable to Ijebu-Ijesha in present day Osun State.

Is that in Bakassi or Cameroun :?:
Are you really asking?
well i'am asking those who said Obafemi Martins is from Bakassi/Cameroun just being sarcastic :wink:
Last edited by Kako on Wed Jan 21, 2004 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ara lao mada o, ao ni daran.
Arambara!

Ohamadike of Ijebu Igbo in Biafra land

I am a cat face yorobber son of Afonja skull miner!
omotori
Egg
Egg

Post by omotori »

mastermind wrote:
omotori wrote:as I said before, no Italian 19 yesr old would ever do what Martins did. and I would not be surprised if even the Inter management has lost respect for Martins.

There was no more risk to his career than for Yobo, JJ, Utaka, Olofinjana & others.

italian don't send invitation to unproving rookie to play for their national side. stop crying and let the kid grow. this old no get sense self.
if a 19 year old can start & successfully play striker in the toughest defensive league in the world, why cant he play in the ANC.

unproven or not, who are you to decide. You think you know better than the CCC or Ogunjobi for inviting him. He probably would not have started anyways.

Its your ability to use logic that is unproven
mastermind
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mastermind »

omotori wrote:
mastermind wrote:

if a 19 year old can start & successfully play striker in the toughest defensive league in the world, why cant he play in the ANC.

unproven or not, who are you to decide. You think you know better than the CCC or Ogunjobi for inviting him. He probably would not have started anyways.

Its your ability to use logic that is unproven
is dumb old man like u that overhype ogeche and we all saw how he froze at the big stage. Martin has not scored up to 12 goals in seria a yet so how was he proven? vieri has scored 100 goals for inter alone, henry has socred 100 for arsenal, VAN has cored more than 100 goals for MANU. Those players are proven,but martin is not.
omotori
Egg
Egg

Post by omotori »

who is over-hyping who. I rememebr saying it would be a mistake to play Ogbeche & JAg together.

So what if Ogbeche did not perform. A big part of the problem was the midfield. And what happened to Ogbeche after. If he plays well, he will get another chance. JAg did not perform either aside from the header goal.

Does this mean life is over. Abeg open your eyes & use ya head.

part of your problem is your big motor-mouth with no engine. You cannot get your head around the fact that its up to CCC & the NFA to invite who they think can contribute to the team.
Naija fan
Egg
Egg

Post by Naija fan »

omotori wrote:
kaycee2g wrote:Omotori, what makes u diff from those ppl who went back home in 1999 when OBJ called on evey Nigerian to come back home. I really believe it is stupididty on ur part. :evil:
Kaycee2G, youve started with insult.

This is not about giving up ones job & going home to live. Its about taking 3 weeks off to represent ones country. It is not an unusual situation for any club.

You still cannot answer the question why Martins is more at risk than the other eagus. Are they dumb for showing up for Nigeria.
Martins is at more risk because he does not have the pedigree of Okocha, Kanu, Yobo, JAG, and the others. These are guys who have a regular shirt or have established a reputation at their respective clubs. Martins does not have that. Also, Martins is playing at the highest level of football, so he does not need the ANC to showcase his skill. If he were in a lower league, he certainly will be wanting to play at the ANC. Like I have said over and over again, I would have liked to see him feature for Nigeria at the ANC, but I probably would have done the same given the same situation.

Let's assume for a minute that JAG is offered a contract by Chelsea, Arsenal, Inter, or one of the big clubs to leave the Ukraine. Let's also assume that they tell him behind closed doors that the contract is contingent on him not going to the ANC because they need him now. Will you quarell with JAG if he takes the opportunity to secure a good contract and does not go to the ANC or will you advise him to turn down the opportunity and play at the ANC instead?

Martins not going to the ANC has it's potential pitfalls too. The chance that Martins takes by not going to this ANC is that he misses out on an opportunity to secure a regular shirt for himself on the national team at a time when everyone is excited about him. If six months from now he is not playing well, he may not get another invitation. That's the chance he took. I am betting that the boy will be even better, so the NFA will come calling again.
Last edited by Naija fan on Wed Jan 21, 2004 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It is not who you are that holds you back, it's who you think you are not."
omotori
Egg
Egg

Post by omotori »

Naija Fan, your points are accepted but if & when he ever wears an eagus shirt, I would love to see him do well.

But if he does not perform, he will have little sympathy and the knives will be sharpened.

Also his mother may have made an inadvertent slip :
When I was in Italy, the man Nigeria sent, (Secretary General of the Nigeria Football Association, Taiwo Ogunjobi), came to see us. After the discussions, all of us agreed that Obafemi would honour the invitation to play in Tunisia, but I was equally aware that Obafemi had a lot of things to consider.
So it seems he may have either lied to Ogunjobi or gone back on his word.

I accept your opinion that Inter may have threatened him behind the scenes but personally, I doubt it. He is just not that crucial to Inter at this point. And I doubt that Inter would have punished him.

Why are we assuming Inter would specifically single-out Martins for punishment. Inter has alwways had a lot of internationals including Africans. When did they ever punish a player for complying with FIFA mandate ?
Last edited by omotori on Wed Jan 21, 2004 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mastermind
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mastermind »

omotori wrote:who is over-hyping who. I rememebr saying it would be a mistake to play Ogbeche & JAg together.

So what if Ogbeche did not perform. A big part of the problem was the midfield. And what happened to Ogbeche after. If he plays well, he will get another chance. JAg did not perform either aside from the header goal.

Does this mean life is over. Abeg open your eyes & use ya head.

part of your problem is your big motor-mouth with no engine. You cannot get your head around the fact that its up to CCC & the NFA to invite who they think can contribute to the team.
u keep on hating on him while the guy continues to grow. He just scored 2 goals today too. In 2 years he gon be the hottest african in seria a and naija will come calling, and u can take that to the bank.
omotori
Egg
Egg

Post by omotori »

In 2 years he gon be the hottest african in seria a and naija will come calling, and u can take that to the bank.
I hope so. And even if he had played at the ANC, if he has the talent, he would still be hot in two years.

But is this a good precedent for Nigeria. If there is another striker who is equally hot, I gurantee you he will get preference over Martins. The NFA & the other players & the fans are probably not too happy eith Martins today.

Nobody is hating on Martins. All I amsaying is a player cannot say he is not ready to play when his country calls & expect that his country will happily accept it. Hell No. Thats not how you respond to your country.
JACKAL
Egg
Egg

Post by JACKAL »

Kako wrote:Kayode Martins, who is one of the man’s eldest sons, added that the family’s lineage could be traceable to Ijebu-Ijesha in present day Osun State.

kako,

Dem tok say Ijebu no good, ijesha even worse, which one be Ijebu-jesha...???
KoC
Egg
Egg

Post by KoC »

While we are at it, I think it is wise we all remember that this kid is still yet to turn twenty and facing all this pressure.
. . . all about the players. Total posts: 725 and counting. . .

Blogzilla
KickOff Nigeria

I love Arsenal. Such entertainment!! The kind of soccer we want for the kind of results we hate!!!
---Polly waxes lyrical after Burnley nyansh the ARSE
Kako
Egg
Egg

Post by Kako »

Solowe wrote:
Kako wrote:Kayode Martins, who is one of the man’s eldest sons, added that the family’s lineage could be traceable to Ijebu-Ijesha in present day Osun State.

kako,

Dem tok say Ijebu no good, ijesha even worse, which one be Ijebu-jesha...???
Ijebu oda Ijesha o sunwo :lol: :lol: na true talk :wink:
Ara lao mada o, ao ni daran.
Arambara!

Ohamadike of Ijebu Igbo in Biafra land

I am a cat face yorobber son of Afonja skull miner!
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

KickOff Chief wrote:While we are at it, I think it is wise we all remember that this kid is still yet to turn twenty and facing all this pressure.
I don talk am for here already. Those adults wey put this boy under this kind pressure should be ashamed of themselves.
Arsène Wenger at Arsenal, 1996 to 2018. I was there.
omotori
Egg
Egg

Post by omotori »

KOC,
I am very aware of his age & I regret to have to be so harsh on a 19 year old.

ButI think he made a very poor decision given the risks both ways.

The real problem is the precedent it sets. It sets a very dangerous precedent. Thats what some fail to see.

And if I was Ogunjoi, the best way to approach this would be to assess some type of punishment.

If other players begin to do the same as Martins, Nigeria is in big trouble. I would suggest that he is suspended from the eagus for 2 years.If not, the potential hypocrisy issues & morale issues other players will not be easy.

Also, any club can now instruct their young 19 year olds to play the Martins card. What will NFA do when players start dictating when they will represent Nigeria.

This issue is much bigger than Martins.

Further, a hidden factor is the other players. They are well aware of the Martins issue. And they are probably thinking why does Martins feel he is so special or his club Inter is so special. This is also a big problem down the line in terms of team spirit.

If I am wrong, tell me.
omotori
Egg
Egg

Post by omotori »

Waffiman wrote: I don talk am for here already. Those adults wey put this boy under this kind pressure should be ashamed of themselves.
Hypocrisy !!!

How is Martins age an issue ? So you are saying if he was 25, you would feel otherwise.

I think this kind of statement is pure hypocrisy.

And on this board where everyones motives is questioned on every issue with you being the biggest accuser most of the time, you are saying we should overlook the action of a player because he is only 19.

So we should allow him to set a dangerous precedent that we would deny a 25 year old. Is this how you establish a fair & consistent system.

There is absolutely no reason to excuse Martins because of his age. I would be more lenient & understanding but to completely look away is sheer hypocricy. And it will surely come back to haunt us.
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

omotori, i am with u on this one. you just spoke my mind
HAWKEYE
Egg
Egg

Post by HAWKEYE »

Could any of the well connected forumites like Larry, MD and Ayo kindly investigate Martins' status in Inter?

I suspect the guy is still on a probational contract and all the Inter coach needs to convince him to forgo the ANC is to remind him of the status of his contract.

In fact I think I read on this forum where Martins or someone mentioned that he, Martins does not have a proper contract YET.
Gentlemen, which one of us will land a very lucrative job and whilst still on probation, takes off to Naija for whatever reason aside from parental death?

EVEN OUR SKIPPO AND HIS VICE ARE LOOKING AFTER NO.1 (themselves) first before Nigeria.

"He jests at scars that never felt the wound" - SHAKESPEARE
CAPTAIN HAWKINS
Larry Ashagbe

Post by Larry Ashagbe »

His mother said sensible words but it down to martins to decide what is good for him.
Naija fan
Egg
Egg

Post by Naija fan »

HAWKEYE wrote:Could any of the well connected forumites like Larry, MD and Ayo kindly investigate Martins' status in Inter?

I suspect the guy is still on a probational contract and all the Inter coach needs to convince him to forgo the ANC is to remind him of the status of his contract.

In fact I think I read on this forum where Martins or someone mentioned that he, Martins does not have a proper contract YET.
Gentlemen, which one of us will land a very lucrative job and whilst still on probation, takes off to Naija for whatever reason aside from parental death?

EVEN OUR SKIPPO AND HIS VICE ARE LOOKING AFTER NO.1 (themselves) first before Nigeria.

"He jests at scars that never felt the wound" - SHAKESPEARE
Thank you!
"It is not who you are that holds you back, it's who you think you are not."
Jmal
Egg
Egg

Post by Jmal »

Jmal
Egg
Egg

Post by Jmal »

shaq