Is there a More Consistent AFCON Team than Nigeria?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

kalani JR
Egg
Egg
Re: Is there a More Consistent AFCON Team than Nigeria?

Post by kalani JR »

pajimoh wrote:When you also lump in all other age related and female football at every level, Nigeria is unrivalled in African football.
unrivaled or underachieved?
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

kalani JR wrote:
pajimoh wrote:When you also lump in all other age related and female football at every level, Nigeria is unrivalled in African football.
unrivaled or underachieved?
Unrivalled yet under achieved.

Under achieved yet unrivalled.

Take ya pick :tic:
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Updated:

In 18 AFCONS this is Nigeria's record:

*17 quarter-finals (i.e. they get to the QF nearly 95% of the time).
*15 times they have finished in the top 3 places (i.e top three 83% of the time).
*7 times they have been in the final.
*8 times they have finished third
*3 times winners.
*They have not failed to qualify for the quarter-finals for over 30 years.
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

metalalloy wrote:
wiseone wrote:Looked at another way: Nigeria finish in the top three positions of AFCONs over 80% of the time. Does that mean Nigeria are remarkably consistent, or big chokers at the final hurdle?
metalalloy wrote:Nope. We are consistent in reaching the quarters. It is passing that hump of the Semis that just eludes us every time. Lets see if these boys can step up their game on Sunday.

Those are not mutually exclusive positions. We could be fairly described as consistent chokers at the big stage.
Or it could just be we're almost always just about the third best team in the continent.
O-Qua Tangin Wann! Die with memories, not dreams.™

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

If Nigeria 🇳🇬 beats Angola 🇦🇴, Nigeria will be through to the semi-finals for the 15th time in its last 18 AFCONs. That is incredible.
Babalawo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Babalawo »

Tbite has been a member of Cybereagles since 2013? Impressive!
Peter Obi For President 2023
Gboye7777
Egg
Egg

Post by Gboye7777 »

Heliopolis wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:11 pm As fans of the SE, you should not be satisfied with semi-final appearances. A nation with as much wealth and footballing talents like Nigeria should have more than 2 ACN titles to her name. Suffice to say, Nigeria has been perennial under-achievers at the ACN.
True. We have 3 but I see your point.
theDunamis
Egg
Egg

Post by theDunamis »

Gboye7777 wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:03 am
Heliopolis wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:11 pm As fans of the SE, you should not be satisfied with semi-final appearances. A nation with as much wealth and footballing talents like Nigeria should have more than 2 ACN titles to her name. Suffice to say, Nigeria has been perennial under-achievers at the ACN.
True. We have 3 but I see your point.

At the time he wrote that post, we had 2.
theDunamis is signed, sealed, DELIVERED!
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

Babalawo wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 8:50 pm Tbite has been a member of Cybereagles since 2013? Impressive!
I joined CE when I still a fresh teenager. I probably would have joined CE as a PRE-TEEN (yes you read that right) if I had access to good internet. Growing up as a kid, I was very inquisitive. My dad threw an old computer in front of me and left for South Africa where he worked. Didn't even tell me how to use it, and I started figuring it out. That was in the 90s. No internet connection really apart from the rare occasion my grandad plugged his in. So I literally couldn't have joined then.

Early 2000s I did browse the net a little bit on dial up, I am positive I did in fact find this website as a pre-teen...but I couldn't find the forum, the homepage of this website is not the best (no offense). But when I eventually got access to broadband in 2006 that was the gamechanger. Then I had endless amount of time to search every nook and cranny of the internet....and I eventually got past the homepage.

I wouldn't say I was that active in 2006 though. I was more active on Nairaland, I actually met Kofo on Nairaland. Nairaland became very annoying though as Seun became increasingly authoritarian. That was probably the main reason why I became active here, around 2007 or thereabouts.
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

Tbite wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:14 pm
YemiBrazil wrote:Unfortunate episodes:
================

1988: Cheated. Legit goal denied against Cameroon and outcome may have been different. Possible champions!
1996: Pulled out. Sani Abacha. Defending champions & Africa's best at that time. Bulk won the Olympics later. Possible champions!
1998: Banned. Still Africa's top rated team. Strolled through France 98 qualifiers. Possible champions!
2000: Cheated. Another legit goal denied... during penalty shootout. Possible champions!
That is when I laugh when people say we overachieved. We have been more unlucky than lucky in African football.

And the fact that we only have 2 ANCs, is a fluke. If this was a game of probability and you replayed the ANCs again, without changing anything at all, I guarantee that we would have more than 2 ANCs.

It is nothing but a fluke that we have only 2 ANCs, but that will change if we reach the final, because even if we don't win, it will give us some momentum, on the back of having a rapidly growing team.
You must have been born in the 90s; too young to know that we won it in 1980. You don’t know everything like you think you do😀❗️

Cheers.
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

I don't claim that I know everything. Only a fool would think they do. The older I get the more apparent it becomes to me how meager my own knowledge is in the grand scheme of things.

They say you get wiser with age, but the paradox is the more you learn, the more.you realise how little you know. So old age actually diminishes your knowledge in a sense.

But as far as arguments on ce go, it is not that I think.i am right on ANY topic. I just argue a certain point until someone shows me facts to the contrary. Every single thing I have ever said on CE could be false. Fair enough. Doesn't bother me actually. But as long as people detail how and why.
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Tbite wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:42 pm I don't claim that I know everything. Only a fool would think they do. The older I get the more apparent it becomes to me how meager my own knowledge is in the grand scheme of things.

They say you get wiser with age, but the paradox is the more you learn, the more.you realise how little you know. So old age actually diminishes your knowledge in a sense.

But as far as arguments on ce go, it is not that I think.i am right on ANY topic. I just argue a certain point until someone shows me facts to the contrary. Every single thing I have ever said on CE could be false. Fair enough. Doesn't bother me actually. But as long as people detail how and why.
So, why not show a little humility and admit that you were wrong about the number of ANCs we won instead of lounging into this meaningless rhetoric? Ironically, the fact that I was just joking appears to have been lost on you; the smiley emoji ought to have given that fact away🤔❗️

Cheers.
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 1:09 pm
Tbite wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:42 pm I don't claim that I know everything. Only a fool would think they do. The older I get the more apparent it becomes to me how meager my own knowledge is in the grand scheme of things.

So, why not show a little humility and admit that you were wrong about the number of ANCs we won instead of lounging into this meaningless rhetoric? Ironically, the fact that I was just joking appears to have been lost on you; the smiley emoji ought to have given that fact away🤔❗️

Cheers.
What do you mean? I was responding to the guy who said I was here since 2013. I don't know what I said or didn't say in this thread. I didn't know I was on trial here.
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

but I am going through the thread from 10 years ago to try to see something that I am apparently supposed to be aware of and apologising for out of the blue.
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

Tbite wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:14 pm
YemiBrazil wrote:Unfortunate episodes:
================

1988: Cheated. Legit goal denied against Cameroon and outcome may have been different. Possible champions!
1996: Pulled out. Sani Abacha. Defending champions & Africa's best at that time. Bulk won the Olympics later. Possible champions!
1998: Banned. Still Africa's top rated team. Strolled through France 98 qualifiers. Possible champions!
2000: Cheated. Another legit goal denied... during penalty shootout. Possible champions!
That is when I laugh when people say we overachieved. We have been more unlucky than lucky in African football.

And the fact that we only have 2 ANCs, is a fluke. If this was a game of probability and you replayed the ANCs again, without changing anything at all, I guarantee that we would have more than 2 ANCs.

It is nothing but a fluke that we have only 2 ANCs, but that will change if we reach the final, because even if we don't win, it will give us some momentum, on the back of having a rapidly growing team.
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Oh so I am looking at the Original Post from the 4th of February 2013

What did I say specifically in the post (which I am sure Admin can confirm was not hacked/edited).

I said we have only 2 ANCs. Why did I say that? Because up until 10 February 2013 we did in fact have only 2 ANCs.

1980 and 1994. 10 years is a long time ago, so some might question whether I am pivoting or my frame of mind or whatever, but what is clear is that I am not a prophet nor a time traveller. To dispute my claim here would actually be to affirm that I have some sort of supernatural ability. Which to be honest, I would gladly trade for a mere humble pie.

What does it matter to me if I did not know that we won the ANC in 1980, if I NOW have the glorious ability to predict the future. Have the past, I own the future. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

I have almost 30,000 posts though, so I am sure you can find a better case of me saying something stupid, if you're stuck, let me know I will happily find one for you. Where did this notion that I am arrogant come from. I just like debating. At least 15% of my posts are nonsense (I admit I am being conservative), but as bargaining goes, you don't start with your best offer.
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Tbite wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 2:41 pm but I am going through the thread from 10 years ago to try to see something that I am apparently supposed to be aware of and apologising for out of the blue.
Oh my goodness, you don’t remember something you posted barely an hour ago? Review the post on this thread that you wrote at 11:41am, as well as my response at 12:09 pm. Just scroll 2 posts up🤔❗️

Cheers.
anointed
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anointed »

wiseone wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:18 pm (apart from Egypt)

In their last 16 AFCON appearances, Nigeria have reached the semi-finals 13 times. They have not failed to qualify for the quarter-final for over 20 years.

Astonishing. :shock:
I'd swap Egypt's record with ours over the same period.
TOUCH NOT MY ANOINTED...
For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding...hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Tbite was once upon a time the youngest CE member. The baby of the forum.
We watched him grow, like we have watched Osimhen.

I believe there are now a few younger forum members that have since joined us.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
nzeogwu
Egg
Egg

Post by nzeogwu »

We are no chokers. Making it to the final four means you are big time. Are we now saying that Egypt, Senegal, Maroc, Ghana, Cameroun, CIV and Algeria are bigger chokers for not even getting to the QF every tournament?

Are we always better than them? No.

And one more things, if this present Eagles played in 1994, they would win outright.

The spine is slightly better.

1994 spine: Rufai, Okechukwu, Oliseh, Yekini, Amokachi

Current spine: Nwabali, Ekong, Bassey, Onyeka, Osimhen, Lookman
omk
Egg
Egg

Post by omk »

I thought we've got three titles?
... 1980, 1994 and 2013.
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Heliopolis wrote that on February 3, 2013. That was 10 years ago. On that date Nigeria 🇳🇬 had only 2 AFCON wins.
omk wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 3:22 pm I thought we've got three titles?
... 1980, 1994 and 2013.
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

…16 AFCON semi-finals in Nigeria’s 🇳🇬 last 20 AFCONs.