Is there a More Consistent AFCON Team than Nigeria?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet
Is there a More Consistent AFCON Team than Nigeria?

Post by wiseone »

(apart from Egypt)

In their last 16 AFCON appearances, Nigeria have reached the semi-finals 13 times. They have not failed to qualify for the quarter-final for over 20 years.

Astonishing. :shock:
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Is there a More Consistent AFCON Team than Nigeria?

Post by metalalloy »

Nope. We are consistent in reaching the quarters. It is passing that hump of the Semis that just eludes us every time. Lets see if these boys can step up their game on Sunday.
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Looked at another way: Nigeria finish in the top three positions of AFCONs over 80% of the time. Does that mean Nigeria are remarkably consistent, or big chokers at the final hurdle?
metalalloy wrote:Nope. We are consistent in reaching the quarters. It is passing that hump of the Semis that just eludes us every time. Lets see if these boys can step up their game on Sunday.
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

wiseone wrote:Looked at another way: Nigeria finish in the top three positions of AFCONs over 80% of the time. Does that mean Nigeria are remarkably consistent, or big chokers at the final hurdle?
metalalloy wrote:Nope. We are consistent in reaching the quarters. It is passing that hump of the Semis that just eludes us every time. Lets see if these boys can step up their game on Sunday.

Those are not mutually exclusive positions. We could be fairly described as consistent chokers at the big stage.
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

wiseone wrote:Looked at another way: Nigeria finish in the top three positions of AFCONs over 80% of the time. Does that mean Nigeria are remarkably consistent, or big chokers at the final hurdle?
Choked in some and overachieved in some.
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

I've reasoned this before. We are not chokers. The difference between failure and success at the latter stages is "preparation". We were notorious for not arranging friendly matches, changing managers, not paying bonuses, bigmanship and internal fighting.

Individual talents can only get you so far.
One must also understand that all our bronzes were "semi -final" failures and all our silvers were "final" failures and our 2 gold medal were "final" successes

We've been very consistent and not chokers. Our successes reflects our preparation
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Make that 14 semi-final appearances in Nigeria's last 17 AFCONs...
wiseone wrote:(apart from Egypt)

In their last 16 AFCON appearances, Nigeria have reached the semi-finals 13 times. They have not failed to qualify for the quarter-final for over 20 years.

Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

pajimoh wrote:I've reasoned this before. We are not chokers. The difference between failure and success at the latter stages is "preparation". We were notorious for not arranging friendly matches, changing managers, not paying bonuses, bigmanship and internal fighting.

Individual talents can only get you so far.
One must also understand that all our bronzes were "semi -final" failures and all our silvers were "final" failures and our 2 gold medal were "final" successes

We've been very consistent and not chokers. Our successes reflects our preparation
But Nigeria is not the only country in Africa that prepares poorly. Nigerians somehow convince themselves that we are different in Africa (In a bad way).

Zambia and Egypt are one of the few African countries that actually prepare properly. I doubt Cameroon prepares better than Nigeria.
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
Heliopolis
Egg
Egg

Post by Heliopolis »

As fans of the SE, you should not be satisfied with semi-final appearances. A nation with as much wealth and footballing talents like Nigeria should have more than 2 ACN titles to her name. Suffice to say, Nigeria has been perennial under-achievers at the ACN.
quickie
Egg
Egg

Post by quickie »

I have always taken this as a +ve that deep down we have a good pool of talent even though we might not have the technicality and killer instinct to go all the way all the time. The most impressive thing is to look thru the squads/teams of all those semi finalists, its almost like a different team (bar 3 or so players) every 2 years.

Q
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

Heliopolis wrote:As fans of the SE, you should not be satisfied with semi-final appearances. A nation with as much wealth and footballing talents like Nigeria should have more than 2 ACN titles to her name. Suffice to say, Nigeria has been perennial under-achievers at the ACN.
I am one of those that is not satisfied with a Semi finals appearance, in fact I have said it at least 100 times on this forum.

For me anything short of Gold is the same as not qualifying!

However I believe that if we reach the final of this AFCON, we will definitely win the ANC in 2013, 2015 and 2017.

That is not a prediction, but a guarantee! But with that said, our 3rd Place, 2nd Place and 1st Place finishing is a remarkable achievement of consistency and defeating Ivory Coast is something worth celebrating.
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
imprivata
Egg
Egg

Post by imprivata »

consistent with the perennial bronze prize...yes u r very consistent :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

imprivata wrote:consistent with the perennial bronze prize...yes u r very consistent :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:
Actually yes it is a good achievement, were it not for the lack of Gold.

Consistency is always a good thing, we just have to turn that consistency into titles.
smartbrother
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by smartbrother »

hah! Naija people have mouth.. :lol: :lol: :lol:
but jokes aside i'll be crushed if we dont make the final at least this time
Goldleaf
Egg
Egg

Post by Goldleaf »

Some may call it consistent, but others may better refer to us as having a pedigree which is proven squad after squad. There is no justifier of natural talent than a pedigree proven time after time.
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

Nigeria is the only team in Africa that can never be out of the equation.

This is something that I have said and will always say. People talk about

"Oh, we have fallen off" "Oh, Nigeria is living in the past"

I can tell you that no matter how bad, Nigeria is - we are the only team in Africa that can never be out of the equation!

When we failed to qualify for the 2006 World Cup, I am telling you, that we were better than Angola! We did not take the qualifiers seriously, that is why we failed, simply! We were even better in all regards, except for head to head!

When we failed to qualify for the last ANC, I am even telling you that we were more than good enough to qualify! So even when people, think we have suddenly plummeted the bottom of African football, I just laugh.

I was laughing when the likes of Oliseh, said we were out of the African top ten. Nigeria is NEVER out of the African top 10! People overeact, but the truth is - all I ever saw when we failed to qualify in 2005, was that we had made a mistake!

I said the same thing in 2011! Even in the World Cup in 2010, with how bad we thought that side was, we still had it in us to reach the Second Round! Take away Kaita's Red Card, or consider how close the likes of Nsofor came to scoring!

When it comes to being relevant in Africa, we ALWAYS are and when it appears that we are not, when we fail to qualify, I guarantee that it was simply a miscalculation!
YemiBrazil
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by YemiBrazil »

Unfortunate episodes:
================

1988: Cheated. Legit goal denied against Cameroon and outcome may have been different. Possible champions!
1996: Pulled out. Sani Abacha. Defending champions & Africa's best at that time. Bulk won the Olympics later. Possible champions!
1998: Banned. Still Africa's top rated team. Strolled through France 98 qualifiers. Possible champions!
2000: Cheated. Another legit goal denied... during penalty shootout. Possible champions!
*** Every child is A STAR! ***

Only Mister Johnson https://www.amazon.com/Only-Mister-Johnson-Okey-Chigbo/dp/B09DMW3RM9
----------------------------------------------------------------
"A revolution in a personal context, is a turn around of a predominant way of thinking or doing things TO BETTER YOURSELF and effectively BETTER YOUR NATION!!!"
* Progressive Federalism * Personal Revolution * Industrialization *
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

YemiBrazil wrote:Unfortunate episodes:
================

1988: Cheated. Legit goal denied against Cameroon and outcome may have been different. Possible champions!
1996: Pulled out. Sani Abacha. Defending champions & Africa's best at that time. Bulk won the Olympics later. Possible champions!
1998: Banned. Still Africa's top rated team. Strolled through France 98 qualifiers. Possible champions!
2000: Cheated. Another legit goal denied... during penalty shootout. Possible champions!
That is when I laugh when people say we overachieved. We have been more unlucky than lucky in African football.

And the fact that we only have 2 ANCs, is a fluke. If this was a game of probability and you replayed the ANCs again, without changing anything at all, I guarantee that we would have more than 2 ANCs.

It is nothing but a fluke that we have only 2 ANCs, but that will change if we reach the final, because even if we don't win, it will give us some momentum, on the back of having a rapidly growing team.
kolinzo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kolinzo »

Tbite wrote:
Heliopolis wrote:As fans of the SE, you should not be satisfied with semi-final appearances. A nation with as much wealth and footballing talents like Nigeria should have more than 2 ACN titles to her name. Suffice to say, Nigeria has been perennial under-achievers at the ACN.
I am one of those that is not satisfied with a Semi finals appearance, in fact I have said it at least 100 times on this forum.

However I believe that if we reach the final of this AFCON, we will definitely win the ANC in 2013, 2015 and 2017.

That is not a prediction, but a guarantee! But with that said, our 3rd Place, 2nd Place and 1st Place finishing is a remarkable achievement of consistency and defeating Ivory Coast is something worth celebrating.
Are you sure that you woud take a silver over non-qualification? Oh tbite!
DAK TO THE FUTURE...HOT BOYZ...DEM BOYZ...COWBOYZ!!

To be scientifically literate is to empower yourself to know when someone else is full of boolsheet!

Scientifically speaking: ANC Trophies = 3/4 when Br^33 = 0.
***Breda = Br****
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

kolinzo wrote:
Tbite wrote:

For me, Nigeria has had enough Bronze and Silver. So yes, for me they are the same thing!

Until we increase our Gold count, once our Gold Count goes up, then Silver will have more value for me. Right now, Silver and Bronze have no value for me, they mean absolutely nothing.

Notice how I keep saying, Final and not Silver. I am more interested in the momentum, we will get from reaching the finals and losing, than the medal. If we get to the final, even if we lose, it will give us more confidence and momentum to win the next one.

However the actual medal, means nothing.

Let me rephrase it another way. Bronze and Silver for me are the same as not qualifying, but if we get valuable experience then that is very good. So in other words, if we do not get Gold, the only other thing there is for us to take from the tournament is experience.

If we got Silver for example and we did not learn anything and Keshi was fired and the team was disbanded, for me that Silver would be the same as not qualifying!

Experience or Gold, those are the only two things!
Last edited by Tbite on Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kolinzo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kolinzo »

Tbite wrote:
kolinzo wrote:
Tbite wrote:

For me, Nigeria has had enough Bronze and Silver. So yes, for me they are the same thing!

Until we increase our Gold count, once our Gold Count goes up, then Silver will have more value for me. Right now, Silver and Bronze have no value for me, they mean absolutely nothing.

Notice how I keep saying, Final and not Silver. I am more interested in the momentum, we will get from reaching the finals and losing, than the medal. If we get to the final, even if we don't lose, it will give us more confidence and momentum to win the next one.

However the actual medal, means nothing.

Let me rephrase it another way. Bronze and Silver for me are the same as not qualifying, but if we get valuable experience then that is very good. So in other words, if we do not get Gold, the only other thing there is for us to take from the tournament is experience.

If we got Silver for example and we did not learn anything and Keshi was fired and the team was disbanded, for me that Silver would be the same as not qualifying!

Experience or Gold, those are the only two things!
My good friend, you are complicating the matter. Nobody is going to the final to play for Silver. And of course win or lose we will take the experience with us -let us get past Mali first. But to say Silver is as good as watching the game from home (aka SSS), you are being unnecessarily hard on yourself. Just watch the game with open mind first and patriotsm/sentimentalism second, and you would see things from different perspective.
DAK TO THE FUTURE...HOT BOYZ...DEM BOYZ...COWBOYZ!!

To be scientifically literate is to empower yourself to know when someone else is full of boolsheet!

Scientifically speaking: ANC Trophies = 3/4 when Br^33 = 0.
***Breda = Br****
DrogbaLampard

Post by DrogbaLampard »

Ghana is best and most consistent.
YemiBrazil
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by YemiBrazil »

DrogbaLampard wrote:Ghana is best and most consistent.
True, until 1982.
*** Every child is A STAR! ***

Only Mister Johnson https://www.amazon.com/Only-Mister-Johnson-Okey-Chigbo/dp/B09DMW3RM9
"A revolution in a personal context, is a turn around of a predominant way of thinking or doing things TO BETTER YOURSELF and effectively BETTER YOUR NATION!!!"
* Progressive Federalism * Personal Revolution * Industrialization *