Duke Udi on Oliseh

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

imehjunior
Egg
Egg
Duke Udi on Oliseh

Post by imehjunior »

NFF have always had crooks.
"Nigeria's No.1 problem is that all the smart Nigerians and those who know the solutions to everything are hiding here on CE." 1naija
Babalawo
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Duke Udi on Oliseh

Post by Babalawo »

Much Respect to Oliseh :thumb:
Peter Obi For President 2023
icee
Egg
Egg

Post by icee »

imehjunior wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:39 pm
Oliseh strikes me as a principled man. May not be a good coach and may sometimes jump the gun but his intent often appears to be principled.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

A lot of people will ignore this thread.

Anyway, those who know what Oliseh did for his teammates and for Nigeria, understand why he acted how he did as a coach. It is well.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
Naija fan
Egg
Egg

Post by Naija fan »

My respect for Oliseh just went sky high.
"It is not who you are that holds you back, it's who you think you are not."
tedder89
Egg
Egg

Post by tedder89 »

Duke Udi was one of the most gifted players I’ve ever had the pleasure of watching

Biggups to Oliseh, yet by the time the WC 2002 came around the coaching crew and team had been gutted…….
IN OUR CASE, THERE IS NO TIME. NO SERIOUS COACH WILL TAKE THIS JOB

Pasamu on Monday Feb 22nd 2010 post ANC- I will repeat again, the problem with our team was never ability or personnel or even tactics . It was confidence pure and simple confidence. Amodus team had been spat upon, anything they did was dismissed as insignificant To see the team going from playing brilliant football against Egypt in the first half of their ANC group game to the cautious fear laden play against Zambia was sad.
Ugbowo
Egg
Egg

Post by Ugbowo »

God bless him for doing this.
Showboy
Egg
Egg

Post by Showboy »

Props to Oliseh 🙌🏾🙌🏾

That’s why he will continue to be hated by certain individuals some of whom are still in the corridors of power. $5000 from 2002 still dey pain dem 🫣
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope" (Martin Luther King, Jr)
Cmoke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cmoke »

Big ups to my broda Vindave for hosting me at his house and we bulldozed our way to watch the match from the Stadium"s VIP section! El Presidente Weah was a terror that day.

Cmoke :D :D :D :D :D

tedder89 wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 11:52 pm Duke Udi was one of the most gifted players I’ve ever had the pleasure of watching

Biggups to Oliseh, yet by the time the WC 2002 came around the coaching crew and team had been gutted…….
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

:lol:

Many of us would do the same.
This means nothing. :D
5K ?
Oliseh is still mentally unstable like many Nigerians.
highbury
Egg
Egg

Post by highbury »

danfo driver wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 11:43 pm A lot of people will ignore this thread.

Anyway, those who know what Oliseh did for his teammates and for Nigeria, understand why he acted how he did as a coach. It is well.
You're right.
Silver-Shadow
Egg
Egg

Post by Silver-Shadow »

ANC wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 1:46 am :lol:

5K ?
All this from a remote perspective. You never even met the guy. Those who have met Oliseh know he is a highly principled human being.
No Escape
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

Silver-Shadow wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 1:52 am

5K ?
All this from a remote perspective. You never even met the guy. Those who have met Oliseh know he is a highly principled human being.
okay
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Oliseh clearly showed what a reasonable and bold Captains/Leaders do. People with such quality doesn't play politics, or tolorate injustice
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

5K ?
ANC,

Not everyone would do what he did. However, what he did is not unique, to be certain. Most of those who have captained Nigeria, in the past, have been strong protectors of players' interest. You name them from the time of Stephen Keshi who was by far the best in doing that. You can include not just the captains but other senior players. In fact, this goes back to the period of Muda Lawal who fought to increase bonuses paid to players. Oliseh did fight for players' interest not just on this issue of an individual player like Duke Udi but part of the reason that he and a few others did not go to the WC of 2002 was simply their fight for lack of compassion to be shown towards an injured IKe Shorunmu at the AFCON of that year and the decision to blackball that group of players. However, the issue about Oliserh was never about his representation as team captain. It goes beyond that and involves his abilities/or inability to manage personnel.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
highbury
Egg
Egg

Post by highbury »

Imagine someone on this forum mistakenly calling Oliseh unstable. I assume they must have access to Oliseh's medical records to make such a statement. When Mikel rashly insulted Oliseh, notice how forum members were overly excited, claiming that Oliseh was completely discredited. However, when evidence emerged supporting Oliseh's leadership qualities and his good heart , suddenly, some members of the forum fell silent.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

highbury wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 3:26 am Imagine someone on this forum mistakenly calling Oliseh unstable. I assume they must have access to Oliseh's medical records to make such a statement. When Mikel rashly insulted Oliseh, notice how forum members were overly excited, claiming that Oliseh was completely discredited. However, when evidence emerged supporting Oliseh's leadership qualities and his good heart , suddenly, some members of the forum fell silent.
That thread was multiple pages. This thread dey struggle to get more than 10 people :lol: :lol: It is well.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
Silver-Shadow
Egg
Egg

Post by Silver-Shadow »

:thumbs:
Odas wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 2:43 am Oliseh clearly showed what a reasonable and bold Captains/Leaders do. People with such quality doesn't play politics, or tolorate injustice
:thumb: absolutely!
No Escape
amafolas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by amafolas »

I respect the man as a person, but he is still not meant to be a coach. He should have have looked for some technical position that is about doing things the right way. he lacks the people skills to be a coach.
"We will go through the gate. If the gate is closed, we will go over the fence. If the fence is too high, we will pole vault in. If that doesn’t work, we will parachute in. But we are going to get health-care reform passed"
Nancy Pelosi, 01/28/2010 after Scott Brown got elected to Ted Kennedy's senate seat.
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

Oliseh has always shown this side of him, standing up for friends and his colleagues. I know someone that grew up with him in Festac, Lagos who speaks highly of him and all that he does for his people.

But every single captain of the SE has stood up to the bullying of the NFF officials who try to cheat our players and treat them like small boys.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

danfo driver wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 11:43 pm A lot of people will ignore this thread.

He is principled and many Nigerians supported him in 2002 when the NFF and sports minister gutted a team that would have done well simply because they lost to a strong Senegalese team (even missing a late penalty).

Having said that, he could have been a better people manager during his time as the Nigerian manager. Strategically I could see what he was trying to do but you don't start a reign by alienating your top generals. Even with my reservations about his time as coach, I'd back him above the NFF every day of the week.
Goldleaf
Egg
Egg

Post by Goldleaf »

imehjunior wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:39 pm
Maximum respect for Sunday Oliseh. This is the job of a captain and this is why some players will give everything on the pitch for their captain.
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

...wow, suddenly sympathy for Sunday Oliseh, something fishy must be brewing, we standby.