HOW NFA RUINED EAGLES!!

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Tolu
HOW NFA RUINED EAGLES!!

Post by Tolu »

FOR the Super Eagles, the question is not whether it can win the African Nations Cup in Tunisia, it is whether it can afford not to. After many failed attempts, near misses and almost there which gave the country a silver in two editions, only a gold medal will massage the bruised ego of 120 million Nigerians.

But the biggest snag to Eagles' success may be the Nigeria Football Association (NFA). Take the team list for example, Eagles' chief coach, Christian Chukwu was said to have drawn up a list of players that included Christian Obodo of Perugia in Italy and Gabriel Melkam of Hansa Rostock in Germany. However, at the NFA Glass House in Abuja, the real list returned to Faro, Portugal without the names of the two players.

On merit, the two players will walk into the team of any African country. Obodo who plays in the highly competitive Italian league is sure to make any team. It is same for Melkam who plays every week in the German league.

Many Football buffs could not understand why their names were removed for players that are either not active or clubless. Ikpe Ekong, a midfielder like Obodo and Melkam, who can also play in the defence, plays in China. The Chinese league is one of the poorest in Asia, a region considered to be football backward in the world.

Seyi Olofinjana plays in Norway. The media have been awashed with stories about his glowing exploit in the Norwegian league, but the league in Norway is neither competitive nor lucrative.

What the media will not report is that Olofinjana made the team because he is being managed by a top official of the FA who manages Femi Opabunmi.

Garuba Lawal is clubless. The last time he played competitive football was about eight months ago. Lawal too is in the team because the head of the FA wants him not because he merited a place.

The reason why Obodo was dropped, according to sources close to the football house, was because the FA scribe has not hidden his dislike for the player and his style of play. He has told the media on many occasions, "you journalists, you just make a lot of noise about this Obodo, what is he playing self?"

The FA scribe needs to know that if Obodo is not good he will not get a regular shirt in Perugia. He might not be comfortable with his style, but he should have allowed Chukwu to pick his team.

If peradventure Austin Okocha is injured who will take his place, is it Osaze Odemwigie or Ekong, or Ifeanyi Ekwueme. Chukwu alone should not be blamed if the Eagles failed, the FA scribe and other members that have inputs in the team list should also face the music.

The FA handling of the Globacom sponsorship deal also raises a lot of question about the board's seriousness and understanding of the meaning of the word contract.

The FA has a contract with Vixen, the parent company of Globacom, the official sponsors of the league; Equatorial Trust Bank (ETB) is the Eagles official banker.

FA board members are not unaware of this, yet they opened discussion for a sponsorship late last year when the media reminded them that they have a contract with Globacom they quickly dropped the idea.

But within a couple of day's they made the same mistake again. MTN approached the board that they wanted to sponsor the Eagle to the Nations Cup. Instead of the scribe nipping the discussion and telling MTN that the FA has a contract with Globacom, he opened discussion with MTN.

For three days in Owerri, NFA's Annual General Meeting (AGM) discussed nothing but the merits and demerits of signing a sponsorship deal with MTN when it is crystal clear that it can't sign a deal with MTN because it has a subsisting contract with Globacom.

By approaching the NFA on the eve of the Nations Cup, MTN has again shown that it is only interested in the promotional aspect of sports in Nigeria and not the developmental.

The company will spend any amount of money to host AFN/MTN Half Marathon, a promotional event that is of little or no benefit to the development of athletics in Nigeria, but not a kobo for the AFN's monthly classic, a developmental programme that will help revive athletics in Nigeria.

Unlike Globacom which helped resuscitate the endangered local league, MTN will sponsor the Eagles to the Nations Cup, sponsor "Team Nigeria" to the All Africa Games or the Olympic but not sports at the grassroots.

What about the federation's handling of issues concerning Okocha, Nwankwo Kanu and other players that have continued to behave the way they like? Yet both Galadima and Ogunjobi have neither said a word, Chukwu too have not said a word about the players' disrespect for the country's invitation to national camp.

The Minister of Sports and Social Development has openly expressed his disappointment with the NFA board.

Said Col. Musa Muhammed at FA AGM in Owerri: "But I do not feel comfortable enough to say that Nigerian Football is making the kind of progress we all expect. Sadly, NFA since it came on board about 16 months ago, in 2002 is yet to come out with a blue print of the way forward for the game. At least I have not been presented with one."

"The picture the average football follower in Nigeria sees is that of interference by my Ministry in the affairs of NFA. However, let me state with all sincerity here that my ministry has not and does not interfere in the management of NFA.

But I should also like to state that constitutionally, the NFA is a parastatal of my ministry and by instrument of governance, I am the chief supervisor of not only NFA, but also the National Institute of Sports (NIS). Organically therefore, it is my duty to pry into the NFA when I am convinced it is doing something improperly and consequently direct further thereto.
When the President Olusegun Obasanjo received Enyimba F.C at the Villa December 18, 2003, he stated, inter alia, that 'football is a national sport...' part of the analysis of this statement would be that every other Nigeria is interested in the affairs of NFA. To now elucidate the preceding point above, the NFA created the picture that I stopped them from engaging Bryan Robson. Nothing could be further from the truth.
"Administratively, engagement of the foreigner requires the approval of the supervising ministry. In the light of the socio-economic reforms enumerated by President Obasanjo which we are all aware of, I asked certain questions especially with respect to sustainable funding of the engagement of Robson and indeed any other foreign technical adviser. As I address you, I am yet to receive a concrete answer to the issues I raised.
"If I have to request Mr. President's approval of such proposed from NFA or my other Parastatal, I must be able to explain all details involved in such an exercise. I certainly will not do so if I do not have all the facts to support my prayers.
In the area of other contractual agreements namely the Globacom issues as well as the Adidas kitting contracts, in public service, Parastatals are supposed to re-reference contractual arrangements to their supervising ministry for advice before finalising/execution of such contracts. This is so because government interest must at all times be protected. Advice in this context should not be misconstrued. Simply put, if in the opinion of the legal unit for instance, of the supervising ministry, the proposed contractual documents/agreements are in order, then the supervising ministry would pass same for execution. But where there are legal opinions to be raised, it is so done and amendments effected etc. with respect the Globacom matter, our legal unit came into it when problems arose. Again, NFA has signed an agreement with Adidas without any input from the Ministry. I have not interfered or have IAs we get settled for business in 2004 my charge to NFA is essentially to ensure we succeed in Tunisia. Anything short of lifting the trophy will of course not be palatable for Nigeria. As you all now know our chances of qualifying for the Athens 2004 soccer event has become slimmer with the U-23 loss to Senegal Put on your thinking caps, close ranks and move football forward.
"I shall also not end this address without mentioning the impasse in the ranks of the Nigerian Referees Association. Let me also advice NFA to stick to the rules in constituting the sub-committees especially the referees' sub-committee. It is certainly not good enough that in spite of the high stake we have in African soccer, our referees do no yet have the level of recognition commensurate with our level of playing soccer. This is a challenge to NFA.
Our coaches are equally in disarray. NFA should look into these issues and not only come out with a blue print, but also begin to execute the blue print for Nigerians to experience.
"Let me remind you that football is a national sport, NFA should be seen to take football issues beyond what it is now.
Ugbowo
Egg
Egg

Post by Ugbowo »

Na who write this tory?
Naija fan
Egg
Egg

Post by Naija fan »

Ugbowo wrote:Na who write this tory?
It had to be Tolu since he did not provide a source or a link.
"It is not who you are that holds you back, it's who you think you are not."
Naija fan
Egg
Egg

Post by Naija fan »

Tolu said:

"What the media will not report is that Olofinjana made the team because he is being managed by a top official of the FA who manages Femi Opabunmi. "

How come Opabunmi did not make the team if this so called official had so much clout?
"It is not who you are that holds you back, it's who you think you are not."
Tolu

Post by Tolu »

Why are you guyz concerned about who wrote it?
Shownoja
Egg
Egg

Post by Shownoja »

Who write am no matter. Read between the lines and you will quickly realise that Ogunjobi has no job after the ANC. This minister no gree im own at all at all.
To stop trying is to start dying
oluwaseye the 1st.
Egg
Egg

Post by oluwaseye the 1st. »

the story was culled from today's Guardian and Tolu ought to acknowledge the source of his story. We are a reputable site and we don't want gutter journalists in Nigeria to accuse us of lifting their so called exclusives.

For the guy to say that Olofinjana is in the team because of Ogunjobi, is not only shocking but that the writer is off his trolley and needs help.
People can be so myopic in their comments nowadays that they can see through the key hole with both eyes at once.
Truth needs no support system, it can stand firmly on its legs!!

COYS
Dodo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dodo »

the NFA being the biggest problem of the SE is a known fact. Players being dropped for non footballing reasons is a known fact
ruff'n'tuff
Egg
Egg

Post by ruff'n'tuff »

Dodo wrote:the NFA being the biggest problem of the SE is a known fact. Players being dropped for non footballing reasons is a known fact
I could not have said it better.
who no know go know.