King Carrick gets his due!

Discuss World Football here. Continental football, International Leagues, and players.
felarey
Eaglet
Eaglet
King Carrick gets his due!

Post by felarey »

Michael Carrick named in PFA player of the year list. His fellow professionals appreciate him even if the masses don’t. I’ve gotten into many arguments over Carrick with fellow Utd fans over the years… Another under-appreciated player is Johnny Evans. They may not be most talented but you’d know they’d try their best. Young men that just want to play football.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22216746

Oloye, wey you?? :taunt: :taunt:
"Winning one trophy is good, I tell you. No matter what trophy it might be, you've got to take it.” - Sir Alex Ferguson

ENGLISH PREMIERSHIP CHAMP20NS, UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE WINN3RS
felarey
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: King Carrick gets his due!

Post by felarey »

Carrick, Bale, Suarez, Van Persie, Hazard & Mata on PFA shortlist
Manchester United's Michael Carrick is on a shortlist of six for the Professional Footballers' Association Player of the Year award.
Gareth Bale, Robin van Persie, Luis Suarez, Eden Hazard and Juan Mata are also nominated.

Bale and Hazard are also up for the Young Player of the Year award, along with Christian Benteke, Romelu Lukaku, Danny Welbeck and Jack Wilshere.
Premier League statistics
Carrick has made 2,442 passes with a completion rate of 88%.

Bale has supplied 240 crosses

Mata has created 79 chances

Suarez has attempted 279 runs and dribbles

Van Persie has scored a goal every 127 minutes

Hazard has a 60% shooting accuracy

(Compiled by Opta Sports)

Bale won the main award in 2011 aged 21, while Van Persie won last year.

This year marks the 40th anniversary of the award, first won by Norman Hunter of Leeds United. The winner will be announced on 28 April.

Players are not allowed for vote for anyone at their own club.

Carrick, 31, who joined United from Tottenham in 2006, has been a key figure for the Premier League leaders this season, making 41 appearances.

PFA chief executive Gordon Taylor said: "He is a players' player. He doesn't make big headlines but he is highly regarded by his fellow professionals."

Bale, 23, has scored 22 goals in 38 appearances for Tottenham this term, helping the club reach the Europa League quarter-finals and push for Champions League qualification.

"He just lights up the pitch," said Taylor of the Welshman. "I am not surprised some of the world's leading clubs may be knocking on the door, but I hope he stays here."

After scoring 37 times in his final season with Arsenal, Van Persie joined United for £24m in August and has scored 25 goals in 43 appearances for them thus far.

As for Suarez, who has scored 29 goals in 46 appearances for Liverpool this season, Taylor insisted the Uruguayan should be judged simply by his achievements on the field.
Player of the Year winners
2011-12: Robin van Persie (Arsenal)

2010-11: Gareth Bale (Spurs)

2009-10: Wayne Rooney (Man Utd)

2008-09: Ryan Giggs (Man Utd)

2007-08: Cristiano Ronaldo (Man Utd)

The 26-year-old Uruguay international was banned for eight games by the Football Association in 2011 after being found guilty of racially abusing Manchester United's Patrice Evra and has also attracted criticism for diving and stamping.

"It would be naive to think controversy won't continue to travel with him, but this is a footballing award," Taylor said.

"Sometimes the intensity that causes a problem also makes sure they win. His football ability shines through."

Chelsea duo Hazard, 22, and Mata, 24, have also impressed, helping the Blues to the Europa League semi-finals.

"Mata has been a lynchpin in that Chelsea side," Taylor observed.

The young player category is awarded to those players aged 23 or under at the start of the season.

Former Manchester United forward Cristiano Ronaldo was the last player to win both awards in the same season, in 2006-7, when he also claimed the Football Writers' Association prize.

Aston Villa's Belgian striker Benteke, 22, has scored 19 goals in 35 games in his first season at Villa Park, while Chelsea's Lukaku, 19, has struck 13 times in 32 appearances on loan at West Brom.

United striker Welbeck, 22, has become a regular in the England squad, while Arsenal midfielder Wilshere, 21, has made a successful return after missing the entire 2011-12 season and Euro 2012 with ankle trouble.
"Winning one trophy is good, I tell you. No matter what trophy it might be, you've got to take it.” - Sir Alex Ferguson

kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

Give it to Suarez...
paj
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by paj »

.....very few see what Carrick's doing on that list..
The Brunch Mixtape Project
Available on all major streaming platforms :)
felarey
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by felarey »

paj wrote:.....very few see what Carrick's doing on that list..
Those few are not footballers who actually play the game.

analyzer
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by analyzer »

Feraley,
Carrick has been good this season (not much competition) but IMO definitely does not belong on that PFA short list ahead of more deserving candidates.. Michu and Carzola first off to name a few..
Then likes of Fellaini/Yaya who have also had an equally good season like Carrick.

Carrick will surely make season starting XI and deservedly so but IMO he did not have a better season than likes of Michu/Carzola.
Also not sure how Hazard is up there ahead of a player like Carzola.. And wetin sick note wilshere do to make the list.
Lampard: 101 goals and counting.......

64 GAMES UNBEATEN AT STAMFORD BRIDGE... A NEW RECORD IS SET.....
analyzer
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by analyzer »

felarey wrote:

Ehmm, we see what he does and no doubt, folks like him are under appreciated.. But this no be sentiments.. There are some players that have been more influential this season.. I believe the main criteria for picking player of the season should be based on over all performance over the course of the season.. I stand corrected...

Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

Suarez, but his very being mandates that he won't win it, without a change of heart from the blue eyed aristocracy. If the season ends without Juan Mata winning more individual honours than Arsenal do as a club, there is no justice. An absolute genius, best player in the league by far at present, even better than John Obi.
felarey
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by felarey »

analyzer wrote:
felarey wrote:

Ehmm, we see what he does and no doubt, folks like him are under appreciated.. But this no be sentiments.. There are some players that have been more influential this season.. I believe the main criteria for picking player of the season should be based on over all performance over the course of the season.. I stand corrected...
It's simply a testament of whom the players would like on their team. Carrick's ability in the middle is devastating. When he's on his game, the opposition is kept on the back foot and we're rampaging. Utd are virtually impossible to beat when he's on form. He's never in the press, avoids confrontation on and off the pitch. Just an honest, hardworking player from a working class background. A no baggage, good lad that you need to win titles. The players know a top player when they see one.

I agree, Michu should replace one of those winless blues. :taunt:

Cristao II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cristao II »

No Vertonghen
"Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud have we become, and how blind."

Primary: Lenovo Y410p: i5-4200M | 2GB Nvidia GT755M | 16GB DDR3L | 1000GB SSD | N2230 | LG24MP76 - Windows 10 64-Bit
Secondary: Dell Inspirion 1545: Core2Duo | 4GB RAM | 320GB 5400RPM - Linux Mint Cinnamon
Tertiary: Lenovo Legion 5 Pro: Ryzen 7 5800H | 32GB DDR4 | 2000GB SSD | 8GB NVidia RTX3070 - Windows 11 Pro
HTC U11+ - Xiaomi Mi8
anikulapo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anikulapo »

ER aside from his goal against useless Stoke what Does that Sideways passer do different from Mikel?
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.....

"“There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but he must take it because conscience tells him it is right.”

MLK.
analyzer
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by analyzer »

felarey wrote:
analyzer wrote:
felarey wrote:

It's simply a testament of whom the players would like on their team. Carrick's ability in the middle is devastating. When he's on his game, the opposition is kept on the back foot and we're rampaging. Utd are virtually impossible to beat when he's on form. He's never in the press, avoids confrontation on and off the pitch. Just an honest, hardworking player from a working class background. A no baggage, good lad that you need to win titles. The players know a top player when they see one.

I agree, Michu should replace one of those winless blues. :taunt:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Yeye.. I no go lie, not sure how Hazard (has had a good season) made that list.. surely not ahead of Carzola or Michu..
Mata definitely deserves to be there..
As for Carrick, like you said - this is a vote by his fellow pros.. o well..

smartbrother
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by smartbrother »

long overdue recognition for carrick. Bale deserves it though. Top baller through and through
papilo
Egg
Egg

Post by papilo »

felarey wrote:Michael Carrick named in PFA player of the year list. His fellow professionals appreciate him even if the masses don’t. I’ve gotten into many arguments over Carrick with fellow Utd fans over the years… Another under-appreciated player is Johnny Evans. They may not be most talented but you’d know they’d try their best. Young men that just want to play football.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22216746

Oloye, wey you?? :taunt: :taunt:
No Michu? what a joke
yes o
Skylolo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Skylolo »

Didn't they give Ryan Giggs the award because he is a Manure player the season he only played 14 games or something, a season Didier Drogba absolutely dominated...

No Michu :shock: , No Santi Cazorla and they nominate Carrick...what a freaking joke!! :roll:

And for young player of the year I see Welbeck and Wilshere, and there is no Nastasic :roll: A young defender who has been almost ever present in the best back 4 in the Country...but since his name is not Phil Jones who cares.. :roll:

They might as well continue with their Manure and English bias and hand both awards to Carrick and Wellbeck...Nonsense.
To God be the glory
analyzer
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by analyzer »

Skylolo wrote:Didn't they give Ryan Giggs the award because he is a Manure player the season he only played 14 games or something, a season Didier Drogba absolutely dominated...

No Michu :shock: , No Santi Cazorla and they nominate Carrick...what a freaking joke!! :roll:

And for young player of the year I see Welbeck and Wilshere, and there is no Nastasic :roll: A young defender who has been almost ever present in the best back 4 in the Country...but since his name is not Phil Jones who cares.. :roll:

They might as well continue with their Manure and English bias and hand both awards to Carrick and Wellbeck...Nonsense.

Thank you!! Totally forgot about that kid.. How can he be omitted... The wellbeck they included is a head scratcher.. bobo only has like 2 goals in 37 apps.. On what criteria as a CF or offensive player has he been included?

The whole list (PFA and YPFA) list looks more like a popularity contest outside of the obvious ballers (RVP, Suarez, Bale, Mata)...

mmeny
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mmeny »

Any list without Michu, Cazorla, Fellaini and Nastatic can't be taken serious especially when you have the likes of Carrick, Welbeck and even Wilshere :shock: on the short list.
Just because cat sabi swim no mean say him be catfish - M.I
felarey
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by felarey »

Skylolo wrote:Didn't they give Ryan Giggs the award because he is a Manure player the season he only played 14 games or something, a season Didier Drogba absolutely dominated...

Maybe the players that actually play the game week in week out while you sit on your couch watching them actually know a thing you don't know. You sound so intelligent right now :roll: This was meant to be a football topic not Utd bashing. Perhaps being an ever present player on on his way to winning his 12th silverware (5th EPL title) in 7 years counts for something.

wale1974
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wale1974 »

Carrick is a mikel type player, nothing flashy just business as usual
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Bob Marley
felarey
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by felarey »

mmeny wrote:Any list without Michu, Cazorla, Fellaini and Nastatic can't be taken serious especially when you have the likes of Carrick, Welbeck and even Wilshere :shock: on the short list.
Michu, Canola, Fellaini are not the same class as RVP, Suarez and Bale. Those 3 the players got right. It's the Chelsea players especially Hazard that's had half a season you guys should be criticizing, but I guess he's not english. Carrick has played almost every minute of a team 12 points clear at the top, that's got to count for something. Michu could be there but pls lets leave out half bakes like Canola and Fellaini.

Per the youngsters, I'd take Natastic and add Baines and Rafael Da Silva to the list. Seems players to value defenders much.

Molue Conductor
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Molue Conductor »

Cristao II wrote:No Vertonghen
Who is that? Sounds like one of the five lions that forms Voltorn.
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by analyzer »

felarey wrote:
mmeny wrote:Any list without Michu, Cazorla, Fellaini and Nastatic can't be taken serious especially when you have the likes of Carrick, Welbeck and even Wilshere :shock: on the short list.
Michu, Canola, Fellaini are not the same class as RVP, Suarez and Bale. Those 3 the players got right. It's the Chelsea players especially Hazard that's had half a season you guys should be criticizing, but I guess he's not english. Carrick has played almost every minute of a team 12 points clear at the top, that's got to count for something. Michu could be there but pls lets leave out half bakes like Canola and Fellaini.

Per the youngsters, I'd take Natastic and add Baines and Rafael Da Silva to the list. Seems players to value defenders much.
Is Carrick in the same class as those top 3?
Kaii.. Red tinted glasses... :taunt: :taunt: :taunt:

Carrick is not having a better individual season than any of fellaini, michu or Carzola.. this 3 have been pivotal for their teams... . Trying to compare a Carzola that averages a 7.8 game rating (feel free to challenge the source) or fellaini's 7.62 to Carrick who averages a 7.09 rating..
http://www.whoscored.com/Players/4522
http://www.whoscored.com/Players/2115
http://www.whoscored.com/Players/22738

Of course, in a team filled with scrub CMs like Anderson/Clevelry, he will look like a super star..

And abeg no insult Mata.. Carrick cannot clean his boots.. :tic: :tic:
Definitely agree on hazard.. together with carrick, not sure how they made that list.. will take out those 2 and replace with Carzola and Michu (cant believe he was ignored)...

Carrick go definitely enter team of the season as DM and deservedly so.. can't see who else will usurp him as every other competition was average at best..

analyzer
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by analyzer »

And yes these awards are meaningless as they are usually handed to ones who perform the best just the day before the voting commences.
Carrick scored about a week ago vs. Stoke city.. :lol: :lol: