SOLOWE'S TOP 10 FOOTBALL ACADEMIES IN NIGERIA

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

JACKAL
Egg
Egg
SOLOWE'S TOP 10 FOOTBALL ACADEMIES IN NIGERIA

Post by JACKAL »

1. PEPSI ACADEMY
Owner: Established in November 1992 by Kashimawo Laloko
Affiliated with: Pepsi Cola Company
Prominent Ex Students: John Mikel Obi, Peter Osaze Odemwingie, Sunday Mba
Infrastructure: 3,000 registered students aged between 6-18 yrs. and operate throughout the year from 14 separate training centers, involving 54 coaches, across Nigeria. Based at the Agege Stadium (courtesy of the Lagos State Sports Council)

2.KWARA State Football Academy
Owner: Kwara Football Academy was established in 2005 as a private initiative and with the support of the State Government.
Affiliated with: Clemens Whesterhoff, JJ Okocha, Aliko Dagote
Prominent Ex Students: Adeyinka Adewale
Infrastructure: Existing facilities have a capacity to accommodate 300 students and comprise of:
4 standard football pitches, well grassed with submersible sprinklers ,1 lawn tennis court .1 basketball court ,1 gymnasium ,3 blocks students hostels (27 rooms each) ,1 cafeteria (capacity of 200) ,1 kitchen ,1 medical Centre

3.36 Lion football Club
Owner: Gafar Liameed(Chairman)
Affiliated with: Club Bruge (Belgium) & Shekerspor (Turkey)
Prominent Ex Students: Imoh Ezikiel,, Raheem Lawal, SODIQ POPOOLA
Infrastructure: 36lion parade players in the following category - U-12, U-14, U-17, U-20 .and the senior team. Trains on the French Village School Compound, Badagry Grammer School, and Badagry Beach water front

4.GLO SOCCER ACADEMY
Owner: GLOBACOM
Affiliated with: Mutiu ‘headmaster’ Adepoju, Jonathan Akpoborie, Victor Ikpeba, Tijani Babangida, Anthony Bafoe , Segun Odegbami
Prominent Ex Students:
Infrastructure: The Glo Soccer Academy is conceived and designed to scout through 9 zones of West Africa to discover and select football talent onto the International level, where 30 talented Finalists will be camped in a soccer academy in Lagos, and trained by celebrity coaches for one month to compete to be part of a final 16 members team that will play at the Manchester United Summer camp, one of the final 16 will win the ultimate price for the Most Valuable Player (MVP). The Concept of the Glo Football Academy is to provide a once-in- a-lifetime opportunity for young talented footballers to kick-start their career in professional football; and to offer viewers at home the opportunity to participate in the process of selection and elimination

5.NATH BOYS
Owner: Nathaniel Boys Football club is named after the Late sports philanthropist and successful industrialist Chief Nathaniel Olabiyi Idowu who passed away in Feb 2010. Nathaniel Boys football Club was incorporated under the allied matters act of 1990 in May 2010
Affiliated with: Victor Nosa Ikpeba MON (Technical Director) and Samson Sia Sia (Consultant and Mentor).Yisa Shofolue (Coach)
Prominent Ex Students: IDOWU AKINJIDE, NDIDI ONYINYE, MUSTAPHA ABDULLAHI,
Infrastructure: The team has plans to construct a permanent site and an ultra-modern club house along the lekki Epe expressway in future.

6.Emmanuel Amunike Soccer Academy
Owner: Emmanuel Amunike
Affiliated with: Emmanuel Amunike
Prominent Ex Students: ASADU EMMANUEL
Infrastructure:

7.MY PEOPLE FC

Owner: Pastor T. B. Joshua, general overseer of the Synagogue, Church of All Nations (SCOAN
Affiliated with:
Prominent Ex Students: Sanni Emmanuel, Ogenyi Onazi
Infrastructure:

8.GBS Academy / Aminchi Football Academy
Website: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Aminchi- ... ref=stream
Owner: GBS Academy manager, Ibrahim Ahmed
Affiliated with:
Prominent Ex Students: Moses Daddy Ajala Simon, Ahmed Musa
Infrastructure:

9.Imperial Football Academy
Owner: Seyi Olofinjana
Affiliated with: Olofinjana Foundation, Atiba Bankole and Charles Ita
Prominent Ex Students: AWONIYI TAIWO
Infrastructure: The academy is situated in Odogbolu, Ogun State where the Nigeria international bought over 40 acres of land to set up a mini stadium for the academy.

10.Ondo State Football Academy
Owner: Ondo State Football Academy, under the auspices of the Ondo State Football Agency (OSFA
Affiliated with: State Government
Prominent Ex Students: Jeffery Oboabona
Infrastructure: All 18 local governments in Ondo State will ultimately be fully involved in this ambitious youth development, which aims to produce talent for the state and beyond within a short time. 3 Centers have been opened in Akure, Ondo and owo in 2010.

HONORABLE MENTION:

• MEGAPP Football Academy - Benin
• SIA ONE FC .. http://www.siaone.com/academy.html
• Lerche .. http://lerche.webs.com/index.htm
• Furture pro Academy http://futureproacademy.com/index-1.html
• Taye Academy in Owerri …
• Shuttle Sport Academy
• MUTUNCHI ACD
• STANDARD ACD
• IMPERIAL ACD ..Abuja
goldenera94
Egg
Egg
Re: SOLOWE'S TOP 10 FOOTBALL ACADEMIES IN NIGERIA

Post by goldenera94 »

Impressive
Goldenera94
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Thanks! Where is Hamilton's Weekend Academy?
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
JACKAL
Egg
Egg

Post by JACKAL »

Enugu II wrote:Thanks! Where is Hamilton's Weekend Academy?
There are a lot of academys...so far I have seen over 130 of them... I picked the ones that i thought have showed results and promise of getting bigger and better....i will review again 6 months from now and update the top 10 lists...

If you know more about howard and others who deserve mention, please share...
Last edited by JACKAL on Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
JACKAL
Egg
Egg

Post by JACKAL »

goldenera94 wrote:Impressive
thanks..
Man Ataye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Man Ataye »

Jeffery Oboabona & Sadiq Popoola, wia are they today (from # 3 & 10 academies)?
The wars fought in the world are only a reflection of the wars fought within people....
Senator WIRES
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Senator WIRES »

solo makinde!!, please post the pictures of infrastructures of these so-called academy
"BIAFRA is a FAILED Project!! "Biafranism tends to make people hard of intellectual hearing"-ohsee.
!

"the problem with you people is that you want every thing to be Igbo and you pronounce it Igbo and then force it to be Igbo" IKWERREMAN
"The trouble with you is that you are blinded by prejudice and only see what you want to see." CIC to Dr. SAB
"..there are a handful of mindless Igbos on this forum that are an embarrassment to themselves"CiC
JACKAL
Egg
Egg

Post by JACKAL »

Man Ataye wrote:Jeffery Oboabona & Sadiq Popoola, wia are they today (from # 3 & 10 academies)?
popoola is with Mertz in france .... IS it godfrey ?..I think he would be on Keshis team going to the confederations cup :biggrin:
JACKAL
Egg
Egg

Post by JACKAL »

I know some may be wondering what Criteria I used in picking the best academies ? The criteria I used is listed under each organization:

Website: An updated website suggest legitimacy, organized, and management in place
Owner: The names tell you the type of person in charge
Affiliated with: Tells you the type of technical & financial support they have and how connected they are..
Prominent Ex Students: Tells you some of the results they have achieved.
Infrastructure: Tells you if they are a fly by night organization or they will be here for the long haul.
JACKAL
Egg
Egg

Post by JACKAL »

Senator WIRES wrote:solo makinde!!, please post the pictures of infrastructures of these so-called academy
Please check out their websites and links..

Please remember that it is not the lushness of the fields or the size of the building that make great players; While those are desirable the most important ingredient to developing talent is the quality of the instruction and the desire of the student to learn.

Imoh Ezekiel was playing on the sandy pitches of Badagry grammar school only about a year ago, today, he is the top scorer in the Belgian league. His story is not that different from every Nigerian player or even most players from developing countries.
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

Solowe wrote:
1. PEPSI ACADEMY
Infrastructure: 3,000 registered students aged between 6-18 yrs. and operate throughout the year from 14 separate training centers, involving 54 coaches, across Nigeria. Based at the Agege Stadium (courtesy of the Lagos State Sports Council)
Other prominent ex-students include Uwa Echiejile, Onyekachi Apam and Nnamdi Oduamadi...

Btw, you missed the COD Academy: http://codunitedfc.com/U16-photos/index.html

#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

More COD Youth Academy pictures...
http://codunitedfc.com/U16-photos/index.html

#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Sunset
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sunset »

Gotti

Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

Solowe, commendable effort.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
wale1974
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wale1974 »

Senator WIRES wrote:solo makinde!!, please post the pictures of infrastructures of these so-called academy
:boo: :boo: :boo: :boo: :boo: :boo: :boo: :boo: :boo:
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Bob Marley
JACKAL
Egg
Egg

Post by JACKAL »

Gotti wrote:
Solowe wrote:
1. PEPSI ACADEMY
Other prominent ex-students include Uwa Echiejile, Onyekachi Apam and Nnamdi Oduamadi...

Btw, you missed the COD Academy: http://codunitedfc.com/U16-photos/index.html
Actually I did see their name prop up a couple of times but never found their website.. I see it now. They look very organized ..Nice website.... Nice all around organization. I will revaluate them with the rest and include them in my updated list 6 months from now. They should make the top 10.

Thanks Gotti.
JACKAL
Egg
Egg

Post by JACKAL »

Cellular wrote:Solowe, commendable effort.
Thank you..Catalyst... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: ..opps I mean Cellular... :mrgreen:

I know I still owe you guys some contribution money..I beg oooo.. The only time I remember is when I see your name...Don't worry, I will get around to it .. My sincere apologies.
Zelex
Egg
Egg

Post by Zelex »

Just seen this thread, indeed impressive. Good Job!
Zelex-CE World Cup 2010 prediction Winner
http://forum.cybereagles.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=177767
JACKAL
Egg
Egg

Post by JACKAL »

BTW,

If anybody out there has names or information or links to websites of some great academies out there in Nigeria, please post the information. I am going to do another comprehensive review in 6 months.
I'll simple evaluate them against the rest of the field based on the criteria I already discussed.

Thanks
JACKAL
Egg
Egg

Post by JACKAL »

I am telling you guys, these academies are going to be worth more than most NPL clubsides in 10 years.
What we are going to see is the Kobe Bryant / Kevin Garnet effect where high school kids start by-passing college for the Pro Ranks. These kids are not going to be gunning for NPL teams as a spring board to Europe anymore... they already figured that the best path is direct from the academys.

I am telling you all, the technical and tactical awareness shown by the U-17 team that played in Morocco was a real eye opener as to what type of products are coming out of the academies. I will be stunned if they don't win the U-17 WC

Two scouts of Italian club, AC Milan will be in Calabar, Cross River State this weekend for a series of soccer talent hunt programmes, following their arrival in Nigeria on Thursday.

Coordinator of the programme and Chief Executive of Ossy Royal Ventures Limited, Michael Nicholas disclosed that the scouts will handle a number of youth training sessions and developmental projects aimed at further showcasing the sheer quality of Nigeria’s age-grade football.

Nicholas stated further that the visiting delegation from Italy addressed a press conference at Nextzon 33A, Aboyade Cole Street, Victoria Island, Lagos shortly after their arrival on Thursday and are scheduled to head back home at the start of next week.

''We will fly to Calabar to meet with Cross River State government officials through the office of the Honourable Commissioner of Sports & Youth Development for inspection of available sports facilities and centres in Calabar.

''This is the first stage of our programmes in Calabar, where AC Milan talent hunt will be hosted this summer between the month of August/September 2013,'' Nicholas stated.

http://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=9830
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

I think the NFF needs to regulate the academies- set minimum standards, and collaborate with them more formally and not under the table...

Min stds on coaching, record keeping...

That is what the NTD needs to do for the NFF- develop programs which they can collaborate on; set broad framework for training vis a vis age groups, etc
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
JACKAL
Egg
Egg

Post by JACKAL »

txj wrote:I think the NFF needs to regulate the academies- set minimum standards, and collaborate with them more formally and not under the table...

Min stds on coaching, record keeping...

That is what the NTD needs to do for the NFF- develop programs which they can collaborate on; set broad framework for training vis a vis age groups, etc
I think they are already doing that...but not enough in my opinion. You have to be registered to be an accredited academy... I am not sure what the minimum standards are.

But the like everything else, the cream will rise to the top... those who are serious and understand the value of what they have will make the necessary investments and will attract the best student. They also need to have some sort of league with player and team rankings.

I am impressed with a lot of the ones in the top 10.. most of them go overseas on a yearly basis and go play against their peers all over the world. I was just reading about Amunikes and the Kwara academy on foreign tours.
JACKAL
Egg
Egg

Post by JACKAL »

Paul is the coach of the Kwara football academy ... http://www.kitcarsonfootball.com/academ ... ll-academy

Paul Ashworth gives us an interesting insight into the workings of a Nigerian Football Academy. I hope his article will inspire others to write about Football Academies in their countries.

Paul
Hullo,

Its an honour to be asked to write a column for Kit and I want to write about my current experiences in Nigeria.

As you will see if you went to our website at http://www.kwfcacademy.com I am the Technical Director of the Kwara Football Academy. This Academy was set up just over 3 years ago by the "governor" of Kwara State one of 36 States in Nigeria with a view to giving an opportunity to young footballers across Nigeria.

It is aimed at players aged 14-19 and our goal is to produce players for European Professional Leagues, The Professional League of Nigeria, other African Leagues and ultimately for the National Side known as "The Super Eagles". It is the only Academy of its sort in Nigeria in that it is for boarders. There are other Academies in Nigeria but none have boarders.

When I first came here we had 700 boys living in the Academy from all over Nigeria and in my first month I got it down to 40 boys, leaving room for another 30 to join us after our "trials" which will be held all over Nigeria soon. WE hope to see over 2000 boys at these trials from 5 main cities and so unearth new talent.

Nigeria is vast with a population of 150 million people. It is "Football Mad". All of the players and young people are not obese, have an excellent diet (although some are undernourished) and have very athletic bodies. We are currently having fitness tests when one requirement to stay in the Academy is to run the Cooper test (12 minute run) , the minimum requirement is 3600 meters which is a very high standard. I have some excellent talent to choose from, the best in my career and I am sure we will produce some excellent players.

Recently we sold 4 players to the Nigerian Premier league, have 3 on loan and one travelling to Latvia and one awaiting his visa to travel to an English Premiership Academy. All these players are aged 16-19 years.

Our biggest problem is to find opposition to play and both intermediate (15-16) and senior ( aged 17-19) play men's teams or senior sides. We constantly play against 30 year old's and younger. At present we have drawn with the 4th placed team in the Premier league (0-0) and beaten the Division Champions 2-0. This would be the equivalent of an Academy drawing against Tottenham Hotspur in England and beating Newcastle United. We have since lost 9 boys to professional sides and are due to play them shortly. Since I have been here we have lost just one game 3-2 to a senior team from our State although without making excuses we had not put our best team out against them. We play at least one game a week for each age group so in 3 months you can imagine how many games we have won, or rarely drawn. We have brilliant intermediates (born1994) and I am very keen to bring therm to a European tournament to face top opposition.

On the more unusual side of life here many things which in Europe we take for granted are missing. We get power cuts at least two times per day. This means no electricity for hours on end . This means no water for washing as the electric pumps don't work.

Our boarders are usually from poor backgrounds and go to school each day and we feed them excellent diets three times a day. Parents are very grateful for this. They go home just twice a year, one in the summer and one at Christmas and some have no means of communicating with their families. So even in emergencies there may be no way the boy will know. We are so fortunate with our infrastructure in Europe.

On a happier note the boys often sing and I can hear them at their hostel together or in their own rooms with a chorus of African songs. We went today on a 30 minute "recovery run" and as they were running they burst into song, all taking part to a beautiful breathtaking tune. One of our coaches was dancing as they were singing and I made a short video which I hope to put on our web site soon. To a European it was an amazing sight - I have never seen anything like it in football before.

The boys are all very religious and before and after every training session they pray together to thank God for the training. One boy will pray as a Christian and another as a Muslim - but will all join in each others prayers. Before and after a game and even at half time they pray together. When you see the Nigerian team in a huddle its to pray not discuss tactics. To see Muslims and Christians working together in perfect harmony is an example to the whole world.

I have had many adventures and will have many more. I hope you found this interesting and I hope to send further insights into the life of a Nigerian Academy in the months ahead.

Paul.