RATING NIGERIA'S PAST & PRESENT FOOTBALL MANAGERS

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: RATING NIGERIAS PAST & PRESENT FOOTBALL MANAGERS

Post by Gotti »

Rating them from the bottom up... :oops:

40. Lagerback - got $2m and a summer vacation in exchange for a powerpoint presentation...
39. Betty - got $1m and severance compensation in exchange for t-shirts and massages...
38. Thijs Libregts - got us molested by Catalonia and Basque XIs, but at least he beat Burundi.
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Ekorian
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Ekorian »

Gotti wrote:Rating them from the bottom up... :oops:

40. Lagerback - got $2m and a summer vacation in exchange for a powerpoint presentation...
39. Betty - got $1m and severance compensation in exchange for t-shirts and massages...
38. Thijs Libregts - got us molested by Catalonia and Basque XIs, but at least he beat Burundi.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
GOD BLESS CANADA, THE GREATEST COUNTRY IN THE WORLD
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

Gotti wrote:Rating them from the bottom up... :oops:

forgot his morning pills :)
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

Solowe wrote:#1. Keshi - serious risk taker - good results to show.
#2. Amoudu - Did a lot with the little he was given
3. #Westerhoff - He knew how to manager politics of his job. Introduced the world to Nigerian football
4. #Otto Gloria - First high profile foreign coach
5. #Pa Oni - Ushered in a new era of football in an uncertain time.
KPOM!
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”
Workman
Egg
Egg

Post by Workman »

1.keshi - world class
2. Westernmost - first brought N aija to international attention in 1994.
3. Amodu - qualified for 2 world cups. If you think that's easy, ask Egypt.
4. Otto Gloria - The first got Africa's attention of Naija.
5. Bon Jo - Atlanta 96.
"Let us hear the conclusion of the matter, Fear God and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man. "
Ecclesiastes 12:13

popular quote- "Every Good deed will not go unpunished"
Ekorian
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Ekorian »

Any doubt has been erased that " The big Boss " Stephen Okechukwu Keshi is número UNO???
:clap: :clap: :clap:
Goldleaf
Egg
Egg

Post by Goldleaf »

When Tihomir 'Father Tiko' Jelisavčić (1974–1978) coached us, Africa only had 1 spot in the World Cup and we reached the final continental round-robin stage that included us, Egypt and Tunisia. Godwin Odiye's own goal in Lagos was our ouster while Tunisia went onto Argentina to beat Mexico 3-1, draw goalless with West Germany and lose narrowly 0-1 to Poland.

While not denying Keshi his props, these days, you only have to beat the likes of Malawi, Rwanda, Kenya, Namibia and Ethiopia to qualify for the World Cup. Therefore, comparatively speaking, the playing field is not level.
Ekorian
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Ekorian »

Goldleaf wrote:When Tihomir 'Father Tiko' Jelisavčić (1974–1978) coached us, Africa only had 1 spot in the World Cup and we reached the final continental round-robin stage that included us, Egypt and Tunisia. Godwin Odiye's own goal in Lagos was our ouster while Tunisia went onto Argentina to beat Mexico 3-1, draw goalless with West Germany and lose narrowly 0-1 to Poland.

While not denying Keshi his props, these days, you only have to beat the likes of Malawi, Rwanda, Kenya, Namibia and Ethiopia to qualify for the World Cup. Therefore, comparatively speaking, the playing field is not level.
I understand your point but you need to stop comparing disparate eras. Who would have thunk about 20 years ago that in 2014, countries like Costa Rica, Algeria, Switzerland and United States would qualify for the second rounds ahead of Spain, Portugal, Italy, Russia and England....
Where are Hungary, Paraguay and the other old football powerhouse today? There are no more minnows in football and you have to have plans to beat any team in front of you....
Last edited by Ekorian on Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

Goldleaf wrote:When Tihomir 'Father Tiko' Jelisavčić (1974–1978) coached us, Africa only had 1 spot in the World Cup and we reached the final continental round-robin stage that included us, Egypt and Tunisia. Godwin Odiye's own goal in Lagos was our ouster while Tunisia went onto Argentina to beat Mexico 3-1, draw goalless with West Germany and lose narrowly 0-1 to Poland.

And who does one have to beat to win the ANC? How many ANC's did we win before Keshi? How many was won by Father Tiko?

At least ONLY one team can win the ANC then and now :tic:
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

Eaglezbeak wrote:That's a lot of managers!
and some here want that trend to continue. mssshhhewwww
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
Goldleaf
Egg
Egg

Post by Goldleaf »

Ekorian wrote:

I understand your point but you need to stop comparing disparate eras. Who would have thunk about 20 years ago that in 2014, countries like Costa Rica, Algeria, Switzerland and United States will qualify for the second rounds ahead of Spain, Portugal, Italy, Russia and England....
Where is Hungary, Paraguay and the other old football powerhouse today? There are no more minnows in football and you have to have plans to beat any team in front of you....
Bro,

I think this thread is aimed at bigging up Keshi but apart from a 4-1 win over Mali AFCON 2013 s-final, Keshi's results are a litany of scrappy 1-0s and 1-1s. There was actually a time when we beat african teams 5-0 and 8-0.

My top 4 are:-

1. Otto Gloria (winning 1980 AFCON after failing in '76 and '78 was a great feat. He won the final 3-0 not a scrappy "heart in your mouth" 1-0!)
2. Clemence Westerhof (won 1994 AFCON and qualified for the WC for our 1st time)
3. Johannes Bonfrere (won the Olympics beating Argentina and Brazil on the way)
4. Shuaibu Amodu (qualified us for 2 World Cups)

Keshi comes in at No.5
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

Goldleaf wrote:
Ekorian wrote:

I understand your point but you need to stop comparing disparate eras. Who would have thunk about 20 years ago that in 2014, countries like Costa Rica, Algeria, Switzerland and United States will qualify for the second rounds ahead of Spain, Portugal, Italy, Russia and England....
Where is Hungary, Paraguay and the other old football powerhouse today? There are no more minnows in football and you have to have plans to beat any team in front of you....
Bro,

I think this thread is aimed at bigging up Keshi but apart from a 4-1 win over Mali AFCON 2013 s-final, Keshi's results are a litany of scrappy 1-0s and 1-1s. There was actually a time when we beat african teams 5-0 and 8-0.

1. Otto Gloria (winning 1980 AFCON after failing in '76 and '78 was a great feat. He won the final 3-0 not a scrappy "heart in your mouth" 1-0!)
2. Clemence Westerhof (won 1994 AFCON and qualified for the WC for our 1st time)
Otto Gloria won ANC at home but could not qualify for WC.

CW SE lost by ridiculous margin to Algeria. It took him 5years to win ANC trophy.

Bonfere had to be rescued by Amodu for us to qualify for WC. Forget that playing at home he could not win the ANC.

Amodu, qualified us for 2 WC BUT did not win the ANC.
Ekorian
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Ekorian »

Goldleaf wrote:
Ekorian wrote:

Bro,

Keshi comes in at No.5
I don't know what you have against Keshi but you are really getting into sentimental argument.
Nigeria played in 1980 in front of home crowds. Only 8 teams participated. We played a GOALESS draw with CIV and managed a one nil victory against Egypt and Morroco. The only convincing win in the tournament was the final game against Algeria. That's far from the domination you have painted...
Goldleaf
Egg
Egg

Post by Goldleaf »

Ekorian,

I have nothing against Keshi. Rather I am massively disappointed that having been part of our coaching crew since 2000, he is misusing his opportunity by picking dross into our beloved SE. All those other managers that you listed suffered greatly at the hands of the NFA/NSC. On the day we lost that crucial WC 1978 tie to Tunisia, the Isaac Akioye-led board suddenly jacked up the ticket prices which caused a lot of fans to boycott that match. We only needed a draw to qualify. Father Tiko bought balls from his own money for training.

Keshi is overplaying his NFF issue. No coach suffered at the hands of our administrators as much as Amodu did and even though he did not win AFCON, he deserves his position ahead of Keshi for now until Keshi can give us the solid squad and results that we need.

Just my own 2 kobo.
ikemba
Egg
Egg

Post by ikemba »

Goldleaf wrote:Ekorian,

I have nothing against Keshi. Rather I am massively disappointed that having been part of our coaching crew since 2000, he is misusing his opportunity by picking dross into our beloved SE. All those other managers that you listed suffered greatly at the hands of the NFA/NSC. On the day we lost that crucial WC 1978 tie to Tunisia, the Isaac Akioye-led board suddenly jacked up the ticket prices which caused a lot of fans to boycott that match. We only needed a draw to qualify. Father Tiko bought balls from his own money for training.

Keshi is overplaying his NFF issue. No coach suffered at the hands of our administrators as much as Amodu did and even though he did not win AFCON, he deserves his position ahead of Keshi for now until Keshi can give us the solid squad and results that we need.

Just my own 2 kobo.
So ANC title in a very short time and 2nd round WC is not solid enough :shock:
Goldleaf
Egg
Egg

Post by Goldleaf »

ikemba wrote:

Just my own 2 kobo.
Bro,

We should have beaten France. Keshi wasted a good opportunity. I think all the accolades we are giving him up till this time is premature ejaculation and needs to stop because it is all going into his head and demotivating Keshi. When he won AFCON, it should have been the basis for clear and visible progress but our performance in Brazil was a significant replica of the confeds where he also served us crap. Let's slow down. If Keshi has not progressed since AFCON, is it a wonder that his players like Mikel has regressed? Let's grow up!
ugly boy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ugly boy »

1. Westerhoff
2. Siasia
3. Bonfere
4. Keshi
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Goldleaf wrote:
Ekorian wrote:

Bro,

Keshi comes in at No.5

My brother Goldleaf,

There was a team a World Cup winning team beat African opposition 9-0 and 7-0! Ha, but see as Germany failed to beat two African teams this year in regulation time. Does that emigrate the fact that they are World Champions. Bros, the era of Nigeria beating African teams 5-0 and 8-0 is past. To win by those margins against an African team today will be a rare occurrence. Live with it. That is reality as margins have closed. BTW, there was also a time that the likes of Egypt and Congo used to hammer us 3-0 o!
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Ekorian
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Ekorian »

Goldleaf wrote:
ikemba wrote:

Just my own 2 kobo.
Bro,

We should have beaten France. Keshi wasted a good opportunity. I think all the accolades we are giving him up till this time is premature ejaculation and needs to stop because it is all going into his head and demotivating Keshi. When he won AFCON, it should have been the basis for clear and visible progress but our performance in Brazil was a significant replica of the confeds where he also served us crap. Let's slow down. If Keshi has not progressed since AFCON, is it a wonder that his players like Mikel has regressed? Let's grow up!
Chief, do you truly think that bad officiating had nothing to do with our loss against France? Objectively speaking.....
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

wiseone wrote:Amodu, Westerhof, Bonfrere, and Keshi must be up there. Amodu for consistency, qualifying Nigeria for the WC twice, never failing to qualify for, or reach the semi-final of any tournament, and hardly losing. Westerhof and Bonfrere made Nigerian football globally known with their WC/Olympic Games successes, and Keshi won Nigeria's first AFCON for nearly 20 years.
Ottoman Gloria won our first ever AFCON. He also won it within a year of taking over.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

Workman wrote:1.keshi - world class
5. Bon Jo - Atlanta 96.
You are right. Much harder than winning back-to-back AFCON titles. They even give trophies for qualifying for World Cups.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

Lolly wrote:
Workman wrote:1.keshi - world class
5. Bon Jo - Atlanta 96.
You are right. Much harder than winning back-to-back AFCON titles. They even give trophies for qualifying for World Cups.
typical lolly pop head mentality :tic: :sneaky: Go and ask those who have qualified for ANC many times but cannot make it to the world cup. 5 places for the continent. Any sane person will know that it would obviously be more difficult....but
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
Cristao II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cristao II »

kolinzo wrote:
Ekorian wrote:
kolinzo wrote:Mine are:

1. Clemen Westerhof: Qualifified us for our first WC, brought Nigeria to international stage.

2. Amodu Shuaibu: Qualified Nigeria to 2 WCs, robbed twice, sacked twice, but he barely lost games

3. Austin Eguavoen: He was on a streak and could have been the greatest Naija coach but awon enemies would not let him breathe, just like they didn't allow Amodu to breathe.

4. Stephen Keshi: Although he has a nack for outcoaching himself, but he was near perfect in the ANC2013. If he comes back to earth he might be the greatest African coach of all time.
Kolinzo, it took CW almost 5 years to win the ANC...
and rating Eguavoen over Keshi is simply laughable...
Well, CW won Gold, Silver, Bronze in those five years, and that was the time African soccer was highly competitive. He also qualified Naija to her first WC when the WCQ was highly competitive, unlike today.
Bia, the way you are quoting standards without any iota of measurements. How do we measure competitiveness of qualifiers? There are many factors - number of slots, quality of teams, coaching expertise, experience. So how are you measuring it?
"Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud have we become, and how blind."

Primary: Lenovo Y410p: i5-4200M | 2GB Nvidia GT755M | 16GB DDR3L | 1000GB SSD | N2230 | LG24MP76 - Windows 10 64-Bit
Secondary: Dell Inspirion 1545: Core2Duo | 4GB RAM | 320GB 5400RPM - Linux Mint Cinnamon
Tertiary: Lenovo Legion 5 Pro: Ryzen 7 5800H | 32GB DDR4 | 2000GB SSD | 8GB NVidia RTX3070 - Windows 11 Pro
HTC U11+ - Xiaomi Mi8