Moyes snubbed Ferguson's advice

Discuss World Football here. Continental football, International Leagues, and players.
femibyte
Egg
Egg
Moyes snubbed Ferguson's advice

Post by femibyte »

So is this why the wheels are coming off ?
'You're taking on a massive machine here. You've gone from Marks and Spencer's to Harrods.'
:lol: :lol: :lol:

http://msn.foxsports.com/foxsoccer/prem ... ele-093013
David Moyes rejected Sir Alex Ferguson's advice to retain his Manchester United backroom team, according to Eric Steele.

Former United goalkeeping coach Steele was axed by Moyes in the close season, along with assistant manager Mike Phelan and first-team coach Rene Meulensteen.

Moyes chose to bring Chris Woods, Steve Round and Jimmy Lumsden with him from Everton, whilst also appointing former United and Toffees midfielder Phil Neville in his first full-time coaching role.

United's 2-1 home defeat by West Brom on Saturday means the club has now made its worst start to a league season for 24 years.

With the pressure already on Moyes right from the start of his Old Trafford reign, Steele has now revealed how the summers changes were handled.

"He spoke to me, Mick and Rene," Steele is quoted as telling fanzine United We Stand. "I told him I thought it was a brave decision.

"He listened to the manager's advice, but he wanted to be his own man."

Steele arrived at United in 2008, having previously worked at Manchester City, and is credited with turning David De Gea into one of the league's best goalkeepers after a shaky start.

The 59-year-old says he respects Moyes' decision but is not convinced it was right for the club.

"I didn't want to leave. Why would I?" he added. "I knew that David was coming in and wondered who he'd bring.

"You had the United perspective - the manager saying, 'Keep what we've got, keep the continuity, work with them and they'll guide you through. You're taking on a massive machine here. You've gone from Marks and Spencer's to Harrods.'

"Then there's David's viewpoint, which I understand. I know him professionally. I know his work ethic, his hands-on approach.

"I don't blame him for doing what he did. I've been in the game long enough to know how it is.

HEAR TO PLEASE
Relive the best images from the sixth Barclays Premier League weekend.

"But it's ironic, isn't it? You've just been part of a team that has had a great season and won the league. David De Gea's had his best season. Does it make sense that you're not retained to continue the good work? Sadly, that's out of my hands."

United find themselves in 12th spot in the Premier League table after six games, eight points off the pace set by leaders Arsenal.

Despite the upheaval at Old Trafford, Steele still thinks the personnel in Moyes' squad will start producing better results.

"There were massive changes - the manager, chief executive, Scholes retiring and the coaches," said Steele.

"But there are enough players in that dressing room to win when it really starts.

"My time was up, I'm proud of what I did at United and I have great memories."
You'll Never Walk Alone... - Liverpool FC
http://www.femibyte.com
naija 2 da bone
Egg
Egg
Re: Moyes snubbed Ferguson's advice

Post by naija 2 da bone »

excuse, excuse and more excuses, clever alex waidi ferguson jumped ship when he realized, man u was going down. The last 2years have been tough ,6-1 loss to man city. Dictatorship get limit . poor moyes huff and puffs .
Ekorian
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Ekorian »

By the reactions on CE, one would think that Manure has been relegated. especially from the Assanal fans who have been rebuilding from the past 8 years.
Last edited by Ekorian on Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GOD BLESS CANADA, THE GREATEST COUNTRY IN THE WORLD
kolinzo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kolinzo »

This is why I want Arsenal to fire Wenger to spite the fans. Now Arsenal fans will appreciate Wenger more.

Sir Alex was something else. The man knows EPL like the back of his hand. I knew United would struggle with a new coach, especially the one like Moyes. If United had hired one the best coaches in the world in mold of Ancelotti, JM, etc they would not be strugglng this bad. But bringing somebody like Moyes is a huge downgrade. Even Martinez is better than him.
DAK TO THE FUTURE...HOT BOYZ...DEM BOYZ...COWBOYZ!!

To be scientifically literate is to empower yourself to know when someone else is full of boolsheet!

Scientifically speaking: ANC Trophies = 3/4 when Br^33 = 0.
***Breda = Br****
DIMKA76
Egg
Egg

Post by DIMKA76 »

kolinzo wrote:This is why I want Arsenal to fire Wenger to spite the fans. Now Arsenal fans will appreciate Wenger more.

Sir Alex was something else. The man knows EPL like the back of his hand. I knew United would struggle with a new coach, especially the one like Moyes. If United had hired one the best coaches in the world in mold of Ancelotti, JM, etc they would not be strugglng this bad. But bringing somebody like Moyes is a huge downgrade. Even Martinez is better than him.

You took the word right out of my mouth, I heard Martinez on MOTD 2 last night and thought, Man U got the wrong guy. They should have hired Martinez.
WE ARE ALL TOGETHER!!
Mr. Piffington
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Mr. Piffington »

DIMKA76 wrote:
kolinzo wrote:This is why I want Arsenal to fire Wenger to spite the fans. Now Arsenal fans will appreciate Wenger more.

You took the word right out of my mouth, I heard Martinez on MOTD 2 last night and thought, Man U got the wrong guy. They should have hired Martinez.
They wanted a British guy who would appreciate the value of a British club, getting Martinez was always going to be a risk for them because even if he does well and gets a whiff of somewhere else he's gone.

The problem with Man U is that they're trying too hard to become more than a good football club, they want to become an institution. They need to understand that this need for getting a long term manager that will be there for 20 years is confined to the past and get with the times, Wenger is likely going to be the last of a dying breed. They lucked out on SAF but they need to be more pragmatic, back then you could afford to slip and still have a chance at coming back nowadays the margin of error is so little; miss out of CL football and you could be done for a while.
Last edited by Mr. Piffington on Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
This post was made by Appitti who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by bully12 who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by COOKING SPOON who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by danfo driver who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by muzines who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by ohenhen1 who is currently on your ignore list.
Cally
Egg
Egg

Post by Cally »

Ekorian wrote:By the reactions on CE, one would think that Manure as been relegated. especially from the Assanal fans who have been rebuilding from the past 8 years.
Go and sit down and let Arsenal fans be. This is a Moyes thread...
http://www.meditationsofthesoul.com

"My friends - "We need to really reassess the way we trash our national team, derogate some players and disrespect the people that run our football. Let the brand new Super Eagles become our new Brand of national pride.. The unifying identity for all.. Bar none!" - CE's The Great Seloweizer (6/24/13)

The Arsenal Football Club - "The Deeper The Foundation, The Stronger The Fortress."
Mr. Piffington
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Mr. Piffington »

Cally wrote:
Ekorian wrote:By the reactions on CE, one would think that Manure as been relegated. especially from the Assanal fans who have been rebuilding from the past 8 years.
The obesession some non-Arsenal fans have with everything Arsenal is bizarre.
This post was made by Appitti who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by bully12 who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by COOKING SPOON who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by danfo driver who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by muzines who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by ohenhen1 who is currently on your ignore list.
anikulapo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anikulapo »

Mr. Piffington wrote:
Cally wrote:
The obesession some non-Arsenal fans have with everything Arsenal is bizarre.
:lol: :lol:
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.....

"“There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but he must take it because conscience tells him it is right.”

MLK.
kolinzo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kolinzo »

Mr. Piffington wrote:
DIMKA76 wrote:

They wanted a British guy who would appreciate the value of a British club, getting Martinez was always going to be a risk for them because even if he does well and gets a whiff of somewhere else he's gone.

The problem with Man U is that they're trying too hard to become more than a good football club, they want to become an institution. They need to understand that this need for getting a long term manager that will be there for 20 years is confined to the past and get with the times, Wenger is likely going to be the last of a dying breed. They lucked out on SAF but they need to be more pragmatic, back then you could afford to slip and still have a chance at coming back nowadays the margin of error is so little; miss out of CL football and you could be done for a while.
Don't get it twisted Man U IS an Institution and it's more than a football club! They just got the wrong guy, but I like it! I want to see a shift of power in EPL and Sir Alex has provided that. Nobody lasts forever and we knew Sir Alex would leave one day. Arsene Wenger will also leave one day despite what the American majority owner says about the great coach.

Liverpool did not envision their club would suffer this low but lo and behold they've not won the EPL in 20years (if not more). If Mourinho had never left he would have won 3more EPL trophies but he's back. From the look of things, I really admire the liverpool's coach, Norwhich coach, Swansea's coach, Roberto Martinez, plus Wenger and Jose Mourinho. EPL is blessed with talented coaches.

However, after all is said and done, I see Chelsea as the new king of EPL as long as Jose has earned Abramovich's trust. But not without a brutal fight from Arsenal and liverpool, Man U has become Mr. Irrelevant at the top table -unless of course Sir Alex comes back.

To be scientifically literate is to empower yourself to know when someone else is full of boolsheet!

***Breda = Br****
Maradona
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Maradona »

Moyes should be allowed to do it his way..
I am not in favour of his decision to replace our entire backroom staff, but we should allow him the freedom to manage as he pleases. Our next mission is to emphatically back him in the January transfer window so that he can rebuild the midfield that he has been highlighting since day one. Having done that, there will be no excuse for failure.
The danger in hunting down evil, is that you gradually become that which you seek to destroy..

"While this Czech man is impressive, d#$% Cheney, Don Rumsfeld and the rest of the US Republican establishment have been living without a heart for a far longer time." - Scipio Africanus' reaction to news that a Czech man had undergone a surgical procedure that enabled him to live for 6 months without a heart.
kolinzo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kolinzo »

Maradona wrote:Moyes should be allowed to do it his way..
I am not in favour of his decision to replace our entire backroom staff, but we should allow him the freedom to manage as he pleases. Our next mission is to emphatically back him in the January transfer window so that he can rebuild the midfield that he has been highlighting since day one. Having done that, there will be no excuse for failure.
Small time now you go talk say you no dey yarn opaks! Which midfield was he highlighting? No be the same midfield dey dia last season? With the same set of players Man U currently have Sir Alex would do wonders with them. Anyway, may your club allow Moyes to do it his way so that I can see you guys fight it out in the relegation zone.

***Breda = Br****
femibyte
Egg
Egg

Post by femibyte »

kolinzo wrote:
Small time now you go talk say you no dey yarn opaks! Which midfield was he highlighting? No be the same midfield dey dia last season? With the same set of players Man U currently have Sir Alex would do wonders with them. Anyway, may your club allow Moyes to do it his way so that I can see you guys fight it out in the relegation zone.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
You'll Never Walk Alone... - Liverpool FC
http://www.femibyte.com
cchinukw
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by cchinukw »

We or they? :sneaky:
MAGA - Make Arsenal Great Again.

Mind that father made collection of Scifi and fantasy stories
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mind-That-Father-Made/dp/1907652051
Maradona
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Maradona »

kolinzo wrote:
But you are renowned for your OPAKS..
If the midfield was so magnificent, why did Scholes come out of retirement?
You see ya life? You always shoot first and then aim later..
The danger in hunting down evil, is that you gradually become that which you seek to destroy..

"While this Czech man is impressive, d#$% Cheney, Don Rumsfeld and the rest of the US Republican establishment have been living without a heart for a far longer time." - Scipio Africanus' reaction to news that a Czech man had undergone a surgical procedure that enabled him to live for 6 months without a heart.
Maradona
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Maradona »

cchinukw wrote:
We or they? :sneaky:
The silly owners must back him the transfer market, the Chief Executive must leave no stone unturned and the fans must get behind him.. Yeye boy! :taunt: :taunt: :taunt:

joplass
Egg
Egg

Post by joplass »

DIMKA76 wrote:

Martinez is the best coach in the EPL, he was second to Sir Alex for a long time. Martinez may not have the luxury to manage teams with the biggest names but it's almost like he knows every team style of play in the league and he changes his team to play for that day.
Man is comfortable in His imperfection but uncomfortable in His perfection. Me. (Inspired by Karol Józef Wojtyła - Crossing the Threshold of Hope)
Maradona
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Maradona »

joplass wrote:
DIMKA76 wrote:

Martinez is the best coach in the EPL, he was second to Sir Alex for a long time. Martinez may not have the luxury to manage teams with the biggest names but it's almost like he knows every team style of play in the league and he changes his team to play for that day.
But Moyes was also appointed because of his knowledge of the EPL.. He has not been a failure in the EPL by any means. I will wait until he has built his own team and then judge him.

kolinzo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kolinzo »

Maradona wrote:
kolinzo wrote:
But you are renowned for your OPAKS..
If the midfield was so magnificent, why did Scholes come out of retirement?
You see ya life? You always shoot first and then aim later..
Master in opaksiology, so Paul Scholes should be recalled then? Because what you are saying is that because P. Scholes is no there anymore, your midfield is weak. Guy, you have Felele in the mix, then you have Nani, Chicharito and co uselessing on the bench. Na wetin you sabi sef?!! Yeye dey smell.

***Breda = Br****
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

...many new coaches do bring their own staff, so what's the beef here?
wale1974
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wale1974 »

The thing weak me o
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Bob Marley
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

why do i get the feeling, Ferguson wanted to keep the management British? and he thought Moyes was doing an outstanding job at Everton, keeping a mid table club within the top tier of the premiership for the last couple of years, what about his winning credentials?? has he got experience managing top players, in fact experience winning, it was apparent, man utd needed a coach that is used to winning big and dealing with big personalities, well he brought in an amateur back room staff, a winning team does not turn that bad overnight, yes we have issues in midfield and defence but it was the same defence that conceeded less goals last season, is Moyes really up for this job? i dont care if we had a poor start to the season, it happened even in Ferguson years but the body language of the players and the way we have played is very alarming, to be honest, there are no top class english coaches to be honest, they just dont have the pedigree and the know how, they are warped in an 80s football mentality, i just hope for Moyes sake, i am wrong
So angry Nigeria got kicked out of the world cup once again, i nearly told my wife that i caught my girlfriend with another man today!

Marko
akamoke

Post by akamoke »

Agreed..he will get it right eventually

We Man U fans should not go the way or Arsenal (Read CE) fans who do not have the heart for pressure. Moyes is in his first year and the pressure is coming more from Media and opposition fans who all of a sudden have an opinion about the state of play at Man U. The comments are comical at best...

The season is still 32 games away
For my sceptical Nigerian Friends : Pessimism is great because you are either always right or pleasantly surprised.