The Eternal Sunshine of John Mikel Obi

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

txj
Eaglet
Eaglet
The Eternal Sunshine of John Mikel Obi

Post by txj »

Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: The Eternal Sunshine of John Mikel Obi

Post by txj »

Everytime I watch John Mikel Obi, I am often reminded of Cristiano Ronaldo; yes the very same CR7!
http://africanfutbol.blogspot.com/2013/ ... l-obi.html

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

But the reality is that Mikel has been playing one way for more than half a decade, with the same range of passes, at the same tepid tempo; the same square ball, the same half trot!

txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

He can't shoot straight and has not done anything to correct this in over 6 years, never mind the recent goal! In six years the iphone has been improved five times!

Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

@Tx, the iPhone has indeed metamorphosized more than Barry Windham, but, drop it and its screen fragments more than Nigerian society. Arise o compatriots. Drop John "Blackberry Bold" Obi and on return to service, he functions just the same. No scratches on the body work, no jammed keys or heightened sensitivity of the querty pad. One would go as far as drawing comparison with the Ericsson PH388, big, black, solid, unspectacular, limited ability, but does a job, SMS, calls and the odd *#p glitch in the matrix that allowed free voice calls.#thosewerethedays.

The question is, as ever, November, 8pm kick-off, thick fog, reduced visibility, Jack Frost swinging on the pylons, where? Stoke...could the iPhone 5 do it?
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

Coach wrote:@Tx, the iPhone has indeed metamorphosized more than Barry Windham, but, drop it and its screen fragments more than Nigerian society. Arise o compatriots. Drop John "Blackberry Bold" Obi and on return to service, he functions just the same. No scratches on the body work, no jammed keys or heightened sensitivity of the querty pad. One would go as far as drawing comparison with the Ericsson PH388, big, black, solid, unspectacular, limited ability, but does a job, SMS, calls and the odd *#p glitch in the matrix that allowed free voice calls.#thosewerethedays.

The question is, as ever, November, 8pm kick-off, thick fog, reduced visibility, Jack Frost swinging on the pylons, where? Stoke...could the iPhone 5 do it?
You dis coach sef :lol: :lol: :lol:
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

Since making his first start for Chelsea in the UEFA champions league on September 12 2006, Mikel has brought to the defensive midfield the use of possession as a defensive tactic and the ability of a team to control games from a deep defensive position in midfield.

It is in the use of possession as a defensive tactic that Mikel has staked a claim in this role. His ball handling skills, close control, and quick decision-making, makes him very difficult to 'press' against. Because he is safe and efficient, Chelsea has been able to build a midfield based on speed and power around him.
Let there be no misunderstanding; I understand about the player's first responsibility being to his team and the instructions of the coach. But each player brings a unique individual identity to the game. Each player possesses the inalienable right to define himself in a manner that both fulfills the goals of his team and at the same time maximizes his potentials.
Really?

Could it just be you are the one with the high expectations...

He is pretty ordinary yet in a team with the purse to buy better players and replacements he has remained despite the carousel of coaches?

Maybe dude is what he is...

Funnily, you highlighted a game played after a game he put up a yeoman's performance... is the game against Totoham a typical JMO game? How about his domination of the vaunted Spanish midfield? Or his performance when Chelski won the Champions league? Or his command of the Eagles midfield when we won the African Cup of Nations.

I give players like JMO credit for not allowing their egos to get in the way of TEAM success...

But to a lot of Naijarians, winning is secondary... entertain them like a jester so they can ohhh and ahhh... lose the ball and flash your 32 while shrugging your shoulder, "eno be my fault, I go die for di team, you know see how many pipul way I dribu..."

BTW, there's a difference in the JMO that is asked to do more for Naijaria than the JMO that does exactly what the various coaches at Chelski have asked him to do...
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Cellular wrote:
Since making his first start for Chelsea in the UEFA champions league on September 12 2006, Mikel has brought to the defensive midfield the use of possession as a defensive tactic and the ability of a team to control games from a deep defensive position in midfield.

It is in the use of possession as a defensive tactic that Mikel has staked a claim in this role. His ball handling skills, close control, and quick decision-making, makes him very difficult to 'press' against. Because he is safe and efficient, Chelsea has been able to build a midfield based on speed and power around him.
Let there be no misunderstanding; I understand about the player's first responsibility being to his team and the instructions of the coach. But each player brings a unique individual identity to the game. Each player possesses the inalienable right to define himself in a manner that both fulfills the goals of his team and at the same time maximizes his potentials.
Really?

He is pretty ordinary yet in a team with the purse to buy better players and replacements he has remained despite the carousel of coaches?

Funnily, you highlighted a game played after a game he put up a yeoman's performance... is the game against Totoham a typical JMO game? How about his domination of the vaunted Spanish midfield? Or his performance when Chelski won the Champions league? Or his command of the Eagles midfield when we won the African Cup of Nations.

I give players like JMO credit for not allowing their egos to get in the way of TEAM success...

But to a lot of Naijarians, winning is secondary... entertain them like a jester so they can ohhh and ahhh... lose the ball and flash your 32 while shrugging your shoulder, "eno be my fault, I go die for di team, you know see how many pipul way I dribu..."

Arrant nonsense! That is not the issue...You start with a false premise, then proceed to answer a non existent question!

BTW, there's a difference in the JMO that is asked to do more for Naijaria than the JMO that does exactly what the various coaches at Chelski have asked him to do...

What about the JMO that has the potential to be the best in his position; the very same one that was 2nd only to Messi? Are we to pretend that, that JMO did not exist? A mirage?

Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

txj wrote:
Cellular wrote:

Really?

Arrant nonsense! That is not the issue...You start with a false premise, then proceed to answer a non existent question!

What about the JMO that has the potential to be the best in his position; the very same one that was 2nd only to Messi? Are we to pretend that, that JMO did not exist? A mirage?
There's a reason why up until recently a lot of Naijarians did not value his game... like many, they don't understand why he is such a disciplined player... wanting him to do more than he is presently doing...
Why are you comparing him with Messi? Messi had the luxury that JMO did not have... he grew up in a system that allowed him to blossom... JMO became a victim of his own adaptability... they wanted a way to get him on the field at all cost, switched him to a position, he played it so well, they decided to play him there permanently.

Dude is a smart guy...

He could have been like some of his contemporaries, insisting on playing a position and end up being a journey man.

6-7 coaches on, with the ability to purchase BETTER players at his position, he remains. Surely, he must be doing something right?
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Cellular wrote:
txj wrote:
Cellular wrote:

Really?

There's a reason why up until recently a lot of Naijarians did not value his game... like many, they don't understand why he is such a disciplined player... wanting him to do more than he is presently doing...
Why are you comparing him with Messi?

Bringing up the fact he had the ability to finish 2nd to Messi is testimony to his talent, not a comparison. I believe you know better!

Messi had the luxury that JMO did not have... he grew up in a system that allowed him to blossom... JMO became a victim of his own adaptability... they wanted a way to get him on the field at all cost, switched him to a position, he played it so well, they decided to play him there permanently.

The Chelsea system does not prevent him from having the ambition to be the best he can be. Its possible to be the best you can be as a CR7 or a Makelele.

Dude is a smart guy...

He could have been like some of his contemporaries, insisting on playing a position and end up being a journey man.

You can also be just another footballer, if you lack the ambition to maximize your abilities

6-7 coaches on, with the ability to purchase BETTER players at his position, he remains. Surely, he must be doing something right?

Another straw argument. He is doing something right in a limited role. But a player can do this and yet be best in his position, not simply a starter for Chelsea. He is not the only one doing something right...Jimi Traore was a starter for Liverpool in the CL final. Today he is merely a statistic...

Metho scorpion
Egg
Egg

Post by Metho scorpion »

metalalloy wrote:
Coach wrote:@Tx, the iPhone has indeed metamorphosized more than Barry Windham, but, drop it and its screen fragments more than Nigerian society. Arise o compatriots. Drop John "Blackberry Bold" Obi and on return to service, he functions just the same. No scratches on the body work, no jammed keys or heightened sensitivity of the querty pad. One would go as far as drawing comparison with the Ericsson PH388, big, black, solid, unspectacular, limited ability, but does a job, SMS, calls and the odd *#p glitch in the matrix that allowed free voice calls.#thosewerethedays.

You dis coach sef :lol: :lol: :lol:
...honestly he is always punching my brain lately...was expecting him to lower the bar of his high level composition...instead he just dey raise am...Oga Coach me about to give up trying to catch up with you...nuff respect sir...
Fourteen
Egg
Egg

Post by Fourteen »

txj wrote:
Cellular wrote:
txj wrote:
Cellular wrote:

Really?

Bringing up the fact he had the ability to finish 2nd to Messi is testimony to his talent, not a comparison. I believe you know better!

Messi had the luxury that JMO did not have... he grew up in a system that allowed him to blossom... JMO became a victim of his own adaptability... they wanted a way to get him on the field at all cost, switched him to a position, he played it so well, they decided to play him there permanently.

The Chelsea system does not prevent him from having the ambition to be the best he can be. Its possible to be the best you can be as a CR7 or a Makelele.

Dude is a smart guy...

You can also be just another footballer, if you lack the ambition to maximize your abilities

Another straw argument. He is doing something right in a limited role. But a player can do this and yet be best in his position, not simply a starter for Chelsea. He is not the only one doing something right...Jimi Traore was a starter for Liverpool in the CL final. Today he is merely a statistic...
it could be argued that Mikel is currently one of the best at what he does in the position that he plays. That he isnt making an attempt to fulfill your dreams of what he could have become had he continued on another growth trajectory shouldnt take away from what he has become where he currently plays. Watch ANY chelsea game without Mikel in the past two years and then watch one with him in the team and his ability becomes immediately evident to anyone without jaundiced eyesight.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Fourteen wrote:
txj wrote:
Cellular wrote:
txj wrote:
Cellular wrote:

Really?

Dude is a smart guy...

it could be argued that Mikel is currently one of the best at what he does in the position that he plays. That he isnt making an attempt to fulfill your dreams of what he could have become had he continued on another growth trajectory shouldnt take away from what he has become where he currently plays. Watch ANY chelsea game without Mikel in the past two years and then watch one with him in the team and his ability becomes immediately evident to anyone without jaundiced eyesight.

He is not even the best in London, much less the EPL!

leftee
Egg
Egg

Post by leftee »

I just wonder why Mourinho who arguably turned him to the water carrier we see today is not playing him as much.
"If You Need a Helping Hand, You'll Find One at the End of Your Arm"
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

@Leftee, the game has changed, who in world football plays with such a player these days? Even Big Sam Allardyce is using forward thinking Mark Noble and Momo Diame at the base of his midfield. The days of the Makalele type are done, some may remain for want of a reducer, Nigel De Jong. Munich use Lahm as their midfield anchor, Barca-Busquets, Italy-Pirlo, Madrid-Alonso, Illaramendi/whatever he calls himself, United-Carrick/Fellani...the list goes on. Its not just about instructions, but ability. Why is Ramires playing so different a role in the same position, Lampard the same? David Luiz, the same?

Anyway, t'is irrelevant to debate such matter in the kangaroo's court. The fifty shades of green about the passport ensure partiality. Circles, no start, no ending, dare not to place a pied upon the merry-go-round that is debating John Obi. He's the best in the world, how such conclusion be reached? Why the tales of Fort Britannia of course...Boxing Day, snow, 6 inches, Jack Frost in a topcoat with a runny nose, huddling by a naked flame...game gets the go ahead, short sleeves no leggings...Shawcross winding up a big fifty-fifty, could Busquets do it?
fishward
Egg
Egg

Post by fishward »

txj wrote:
He can't shoot straight and has not done anything to correct this in over 6 years, never mind the recent goal! In six years the iphone has been improved five times!

Wow that is unfair he has trained defensively at the loss of his attacking skills. It's his attempt to please at fault had he had a different manager he would have excelled. It's like blaming a kid for having a poor professor. Had he gone to United he would have been a completely. Different player I have no idea why he fought so hard to go to Chelsea only to degrade his skills.
For evil too prosper it only needs men of goodwill to stand by Idile and do nothing!
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Coach wrote:@Leftee, the game has changed, who in world football plays with such a player these days? Even Big Sam Allardyce is using forward thinking Mark Noble and Momo Diame at the base of his midfield. The days of the Makalele type are done, some may remain for want of a reducer, Nigel De Jong. Munich use Lahm as their midfield anchor, Barca-Busquets, Italy-Pirlo, Madrid-Alonso, Illaramendi/whatever he calls himself, United-Carrick/Fellani...the list goes on. Its not just about instructions, but ability. Why is Ramires playing so different a role in the same position, Lampard the same? David Luiz, the same?

Anyway, t'is irrelevant to debate such matter in the kangaroo's court. The fifty shades of green about the passport ensure partiality. Circles, no start, no ending, dare not to place a pied upon the merry-go-round that is debating John Obi. He's the best in the world, how such conclusion be reached? Why the tales of Fort Britannia of course...Boxing Day, snow, 6 inches, Jack Frost in a topcoat with a runny nose, huddling by a naked flame...game gets the go ahead, short sleeves no leggings...Shawcross winding up a big fifty-fifty, could Busquets do it?

As always, it only snows in Stoke :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

BTW I suspect Mata's return to favor (alongside Oscar) will benefit Mikel once he gets back on top of his game...

txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

fishward wrote:
txj wrote:

Wow that is unfair he has trained defensively at the loss of his attacking skills. It's his attempt to please at fault had he had a different manager he would have excelled. It's like blaming a kid for having a poor professor. Had he gone to United he would have been a completely. Different player I have no idea why he fought so hard to go to Chelsea only to degrade his skills.

Yet we have geniuses come from Nigerian universities, strikes and all!

Its such a pathetic excuse its beyond laughable...

Did the 'defensive training at the loss of his attacking skills' also affect his ability to shoot, or the lack of willingness to address that weakness?

Ugbowo
Egg
Egg

Post by Ugbowo »

What is the difference between Busquets and Mikel?
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Ugbowo wrote:What is the difference between Busquets and Mikel?
One, Busi, sees the whole field and influences it, on and off the ball, the other, Mikel, sees a few meters beyond the penalty area.

Frankly its an insult to compare both...

Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

Obi is better than Busquets, exhibit A: Burna Boy - Run My Race, Youtube.
Ugbowo
Egg
Egg

Post by Ugbowo »

txj wrote:
Ugbowo wrote:What is the difference between Busquets and Mikel?
One, Busi, sees the whole field and influences it, on and off the ball, the other, Mikel, sees a few meters beyond the penalty area.

Frankly its an insult to compare both...
WOW!

I think you are being just a tad too generous with your Busquet description and myopic with Mikel.

Busquet plays d same square ball u criticize Mikel for albeit in a team of revolving and buzzing midfields in a fluid passing specific system. But Busquet in the Chelsea team and I bet u your so called insult to him is quickly rescinded.
Mikel has ability to adapt to whatever system you throw him in. I cannot see Busquet actively dictating the pace of a game and bossing a midfield AGAINST the likes of Xavi et al. He is not that versatile.
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

@Ugbowo, did Obi boss a midfield of Xavi et al? What is meant by boss in such instance?