Phelan claims he was Man U boss for last 5 yrs, not Ferguson

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

kulu
Eaglet
Eaglet
Phelan claims he was Man U boss for last 5 yrs, not Ferguson

Post by kulu »

http://www.givemesport.com/404964-manch ... s-the-boss

Manchester United: Phelan claims he was the boss

Mike Phelan, former No.2 to Sir Alex Ferguson at Manchester United, claims it was he and not the legendary Scot who was the real 'boss' at the club over their last five years together Old Trafford.

The former Red Devils defender joined the first-team staff in 2001, before replacing Carlos Queiroz as assistant manager seven years later, but lost his job after David Moyes was appointed as Ferguson's successor in the summer.

Phelan remains out of work following his departure from Manchester United and is determined to make his next post that of the manager, and claims to have gained plenty of experience in the role during his time working with Ferguson.

The 51-year-old spent three years of his tenure as Manchester United deputy undertaking media duties with the BBC due to the manager's refusal to speak the corporation, and claims he was assistant Ferguson only in name.

"With the way things have gone, my first thoughts are to be the boss, yeah. It’s the progression for me now," Phelan, who played over 100 games for Manchester United, told the Daily Mail.

"That’s what I’ve been doing for the last five years, albeit with the title of assistant boss.

"He [Ferguson] was the head of the establishment, there’s no doubt about it and rightly so. He didn’t get to where he’s got through not being a big decision maker but he’ll be the first to admit that a lot of people played their part in that.

"We all were undercover in that respect. We weren’t the face of what was going on but that was our job. There’s no problem with that from my point of view. The blinkers are off now because I’m outside of all that."
"How can someone qualify his country for the World Cup and then, because he lost a match, everyone is saying they should sack him. Please allow the man to do his work. Nobody is perfect, but if someone can qualify his country for the World Cup, then he deserves some respect. I even heard that it is the second time he has qualified Nigeria for the World Cup. That is huge". - French legend Alain Giresse on Nigeria's Shuaibu Amodu, 2010
kulu
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Phelan claims he was Man U boss for last 5 yrs, not Ferg

Post by kulu »

If that is true, then they had a unique power-sharing arrangement: Phelan managed the games, while Ferguson managed the referees...
"How can someone qualify his country for the World Cup and then, because he lost a match, everyone is saying they should sack him. Please allow the man to do his work. Nobody is perfect, but if someone can qualify his country for the World Cup, then he deserves some respect. I even heard that it is the second time he has qualified Nigeria for the World Cup. That is huge". - French legend Alain Giresse on Nigeria's Shuaibu Amodu, 2010
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

Ewooo... countdown till the apperance of CIC :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

dis gon be good..

We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

kulu wrote:If that is true, then they had a unique power-sharing arrangement: Phelan managed the games, while Ferguson managed the referees...

CE!!! :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Caption:
Oh boy, you sure sey u settle dat ref?
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
Maradona
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Maradona »

As a LIFELONG Manchester United fan, I remain unperturbed by such statements, if indeed accurate..
Similar suggestions arose in relation to Brian Kidd, Steve McClaren, and Carlos Queiroz. We all know the outcome of their foray into the manager's seat.
Hopefully some idiotic chairman will take a gamble on Phelan as we eagerly await the outcome..
Sir Alexander Chapman Ferguson has always been THE MAN behind Manchester United's success. Make no mistake about it!
The danger in hunting down evil, is that you gradually become that which you seek to destroy..

"While this Czech man is impressive, d#$% Cheney, Don Rumsfeld and the rest of the US Republican establishment have been living without a heart for a far longer time." - Scipio Africanus' reaction to news that a Czech man had undergone a surgical procedure that enabled him to live for 6 months without a heart.
cic old boy
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by cic old boy »

Fergie delegated a lot of stuff. But I think Rene Meulensteen did the coaching. Phelan could have been in charge of folding the towels.
http://www.naijiant.com/
paj
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by paj »

cic old boy wrote:Fergie delegated a lot of stuff. But I think Rene Meulensteen did the coaching. Phelan could have been in charge of folding the towels.
..takes one washerman to know one.. :tic:
The Brunch Mixtape Project
Available on all major streaming platforms :)
smartbrother
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by smartbrother »

Maradona wrote:As a LIFELONG Manchester United fan, I remain unperturbed by such statements, if indeed accurate..
Similar suggestions arose in relation to Brian Kidd, Steve McClaren, and Carlos Queiroz. We all know the outcome of their foray into the manager's seat.
Hopefully some idiotic chairman will take a gamble on Phelan as we eagerly await the outcome..
Sir Alexander Chapman Ferguson has always been THE MAN behind Manchester United's success. Make no mistake about it!
Ferguson's greatest talent seems to have been that of finding excellent right hand men so I dont doubt Phelans claims at all. BUt managing manU's first team is not the same thing as managing ManU. Kidd and Queiroz never had the personalities to succeed at big clubs as number 1s. Doesnt mean they werent top football strategists. Queiroz in particular. For me Mclaren hasnt done badly as a manager at all. His career has had its lows but he has also achieved some incredible highs. Had he waited around he would undoubtedly have become ManU manager. .
chendosplastic
Egg
Egg

Post by chendosplastic »

kulu wrote:If that is true, then they had a unique power-sharing arrangement: Phelan managed the games, while Ferguson managed the referees...
Kai, kulu go kuku killing me witi lafta! :rotf:
"The history book on the shelf is always repeating itself" - ABBA.
"Facts, Logic, truth is the way....stop ranting via emotions; seeing things through the prism of ethnicity is comfortable but ultimately a road to perdition." - airwolex.
tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

kulu wrote:htPhelan remains out of work following his departure from Manchester United and is determined to make his next post that of the manager, and claims to have gained plenty of experience in the role during his time working with Ferguson.
we have all padded our CV at one point or another.

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

They did not CEDIS coming
Naira Did We :rotf: :rotf:

Maradona
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Maradona »

smartbrother wrote:
Maradona wrote:As a LIFELONG Manchester United fan, I remain unperturbed by such statements, if indeed accurate..
Ferguson's greatest talent seems to have been that of finding excellent right hand men so I dont doubt Phelans claims at all. BUt managing manU's first team is not the same thing as managing ManU. Kidd and Queiroz never had the personalities to succeed at big clubs as number 1s. Doesnt mean they werent top football strategists. Queiroz in particular. For me Mclaren hasnt done badly as a manager at all. His career has had its lows but he has also achieved some incredible highs. Had he waited around he would undoubtedly have become ManU manager. .
Those men succeeded because of Sir Alexander Chapman Ferguson, not the other way round..
Sir Alex picked up a lot of tips from another master.. Do you know who this man is?
The danger in hunting down evil, is that you gradually become that which you seek to destroy..

"While this Czech man is impressive, d#$% Cheney, Don Rumsfeld and the rest of the US Republican establishment have been living without a heart for a far longer time." - Scipio Africanus' reaction to news that a Czech man had undergone a surgical procedure that enabled him to live for 6 months without a heart.
Maradona
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Maradona »

tfco wrote:
kulu wrote:htPhelan remains out of work following his departure from Manchester United and is determined to make his next post that of the manager, and claims to have gained plenty of experience in the role during his time working with Ferguson.
Finally someone who can see the big picture.. :thumb:
Small man, big brain.. :taunt:

smartbrother
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by smartbrother »

Maradona wrote:Those men succeeded because of Sir Alexander Chapman Ferguson, not the other way round.
Are the two things necessarily mutually exclusive
anointed
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anointed »

tfco wrote:
Especially when we are advertising ourselves in order to get a job, which seems to be the desire of Phelan now. I hope he gets that job very soon.
TOUCH NOT MY ANOINTED...
For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding...hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

smartbrother wrote:
True....I don't doubt Phelan's assertion. Even Ferguson's book lightly implies some of the same. And I remember some England international saying a few weeks ago that Fergie knew so little about technical coaching and he couldn't even properly set up the cones in prep for training (an exaggeration I'm sure but probably directionally true)
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
The Notorious B!GGESTMAN
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The Notorious B!GGESTMAN »

Maradona wrote: Those men succeeded because of Sir Alexander Chapman Ferguson, not the other way round..
Sir Alex picked up a lot of tips from another master.. Do you know who this man is?

The one and only Jock Stein.
The weak or the strong,
who got it going on
You're dead wrong
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

B!GGESTMAN wrote:
Maradona wrote: Those men succeeded because of Sir Alexander Chapman Ferguson, not the other way round..

The one and only Jock Stein.
:clap: :clap: :clap:
I am happy
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

Wenger said he allow Van Persie to go after finally talking to Phelan.He was the guy who force Wenger to sell not Fergie.
But this guy must be upset that Fergie did not hand him the job but Moyes after their agreement
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

Watch Fergie come out of retirement to prove a point
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

kajifu wrote:Wenger said he allow Van Persie to go after finally talking to Phelan.He was the guy who force Wenger to sell not Fergie.
But this guy must be upset that Fergie did not hand him the job but Moyes after their agreement
You have to wonder why Fergie didn't groom one of his assistants as his successor.
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
Kunle
Egg
Egg

Post by Kunle »

Maradona wrote:
tfco wrote:
Finally someone who can see the big picture.. :thumb:
Small man, big brain.. :taunt:
Yeah. Tfco just hit the nail in the head. Phelan is jobseeking
KK
smartbrother
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by smartbrother »

Kabalega wrote:
kajifu wrote:Wenger said he allow Van Persie to go after finally talking to Phelan.He was the guy who force Wenger to sell not Fergie.
You have to wonder why Fergie didn't groom one of his assistants as his successor.
he tried to
Ferguson : I think Carlos will be here for a long time. As long as me anyway (2008)
Maradona
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Maradona »

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Phelan managing us, TUFIAKWA! :shock: