How Westerhof changed my son's name - Imenger

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Sunset
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sunset »

http://www.naijapremierleague.net/2014/ ... l?spref=tw
BY OJEIKERE AIKHOJE

Father & Son: Barnabas (right) and Nanen (left)

It’s rare in football, but Barnabas Imenger and son, Nanen, have made history as the first father and son to play for Nigeria in the modern era.

There have been several successful ‘father and son’ playing acts in football across the world.

English football has celebrated Frank Lampard senior and Frank Lampard junior, Harry Redknapp and Jamie Rednapp, Kenny Dalglish and Paul Dalglish, Ian Wright and Shaun Wright-Phillips, (whispering) Brian Clough and Nigel Clough, and, of course, Paul Ince and Tom Ince.

Barnabas and son, Nanen, now hold the Nigerian record.

Imenger senior’s footballing exploits are well documented at clubs like BCC Lions, El-Kanemi Warriors and later, Lobi Stars.

Truth be told. The duo now has a lot in common.

Like his father who represented Nigeria at the USA 95 Gold Cup and the 1995 King Fahd Cup (now Fifa Confederation Cup), Nanen made Nigeria’s final squad to the 2014 CHAN, in South Africa.

Nanen’s goal for the Super Eagles in Nigeria’s 4-2 win over Mozambique at the CHAN also earned him a place in the history books as father and son are goalscorers for the Super Eagles.

Imenger and his son been coached by Super Eagles Dutch manager, Clemens Westerhof.

It’s the only record of father and son receiving football lessons from the same coach in Nigerian football history.

Imenger was in Westerhof’s army that earned Nigeria a place at the USA ’94 World Cup and also qualified for the Afcon in Tunisia.

However, he didn’t make it to both competitions.

Interestingly, he got his time later as a member of Nigeria squad to the USA Gold Cup and King Fahd Cup.

Nanen is not new to the Super Eagles as he made his debut when Stephen Keshi started his first assignment with the league stars with a friendly against Angola, on the eve of the 2012 Afcon.

With four caps against Angola, Egypt, Jordan and Mozambique, Nanen could just push into Keshi’s preliminary squad for the Brazil 2014 World Cup.

With his brilliant goal at the CHAN, it’s obvious Nanen can make a name for himself.

Westerhof

Years after his exit from Nigeria, Westerhof returned to steer the Kwara State owned Kwara Football Academy from infancy.

It was at the KFA that he came across Nanen, whose father was one of the numerous stars that frequented the national team during his reign.

“The moment Westerhof realised his identity as my son; he said this is Barnabas Imenger Junior and that’s how the name has remained with him.

“Throughout his time at the KFA, he was called Barnabas and it was the same situation when he joined Kwara United.

“People don’t even know his name is not Barnabas. Since Westerhof called him Barnabas, it’s been difficult correct it so he’s added Barnabas as his middle name,” Imenger said to ojeksaikhoje.blogspot.com

Passion for football

Imenger is excited with his son’s progress.

“I’m delighted with Nanen’s progress because he has always been passionate about football. In fact, he was captain of his school team.

“My plan was to send him to the PEPSI Football Academy under Kashimawo Laloko, but the KFA came up when I realised Westerhof was in charge.

“I sent him to Ilorin and he selected after trials,” Imenger told ojeksaikhoje.blogspot.com

Club football

The young attacker, who can play from the wings has already made an impact at one of his father’s former clubs, Lobi Stars and finished as top scorer last term.

Nanen learnt his trade at Kwara Football Academy and got a chance to debut in the league at Kwara United.

From Kwara United, he got a chance to play in Europe for Sweden’s lower division side, Trelleborg. However, he returned to the country to join Lobi.

“I brought him to Lobi on his return to the country to monitor his career. I’m happy he’s back and that’s why he made the CHAN team,” Imenger stated.

Imenger’s death scare

Unknown to many, Imenger collapsed when Nanen was about to play a penalty during Lobi’s last league match against Kano Pillars, in Katsina-Ala, last term.

“It was a tensed atmosphere for me because he missed a penalty during the state Cup final. I didn’t even know what happened until I was revived,” the former Arab Contractors striker said to ojeksaikhoje.blogspot.com.

To Nanen, the incident won’t stop him from playing penalties for Lobi.

“I didn’t know my father collapsed after the match. We were close to Makurdi when a teammate mentioned it.

“It sounded funny, but that’s because my father is alive. I’ll continue with the assignment of taking penalties for Lobi,” Nanen told ojeksaikhoje.blogspot.com.