Chukwu May Adopt Westerhof's Style

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

furiously frank
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by furiously frank »

So Ayo was right afterall when he said most home based coach/players still have the outside right and outside left wingers mindset!

What is not true however, with this news story is that Westerhoff never used a winger in Tunis '94, until the final when he pulled in Amunike as a joker against Zambia and it paid off. Before then Naija press were all calling us wingless eagles. Finidi was the closest we have to a winger and he was playing so deep that you won't even think of him as a pure winger. The truth is we never had 2 wingers at any of the matches, this account for the many goals scored from the center Rashidi Yekini and the goals from Ben Iroha (against CIV) who came all the way from the back with a one touch pass with Oliseh....
"That Justice is a blind goddess
Is a thing to which we blacks are wise.
Her bandage hides two festering sores
That once perhaps were eyes."
Langston Hughes, 1923
realplayer
Egg
Egg

Post by realplayer »

From my reading this an other threads goes to show how insatiable we are as a people. People even criticise success!
If Nigeria wins by a goal, people will complain as if we are playing against women!
There is nothing wrong in adapting any style that will yield the desired result even if it is a 1960 style.
CCC has the players to adapt to whatever style or formation he wishes. Our strenght lies in our potent attack (best in Africa) and a creative midfield. Our weakness is our defence. As long as our attackers come back to assist in the midfield and defence,(mass defence) we will win the ANC. I will find it hard to see any team that can keep a clean sheet against Nigeria. All we have to do is keep a clean sheet and we will win the cup! If I am CCC I will work hard at the defending and make sure the attackes join in the defence. I am glad at Okocha's development in Bolton where he gets very much involved in defending unlike before.
Attackers can not just stay in the attack and wait for the defenders to win balls and supply them. Everyone must assist in the defence and then counter attack.
Talent can only blossom with hard work!
Gotti

Post by Gotti »

green4life wrote:bro, you gotta understand my post before responding. C3 doesn't have the personnel to execute westerhoff's style of play.... yes, he can use udeze or other wingbacks to widen the attack but that was not westerhoff's tactics and is not your traditional 'wingplay'. What he needs to do is analyze the strengths and weaknesses of his players versus the opposition and custom tailor a style of play for each game.... anything less is straight up laziness if not incompetence. 8)
G4L:
....and maybe you should understand the article before posting. Even on this sometimes heretic forum, to criticize the coach based on what a football FAN (his ex-deputy this and ex-that has no relevance to Tunisia 2004) suggets, speculates or predicts that the coach MIGHT do absolutely takes the bucket!
Gotti

Post by Gotti »

furiously frank wrote:So Ayo was right afterall when he said most home based coach/players still have the outside right and outside left wingers mindset!
FRANK:
The person who made these reported remarks is neither a coach nor a player....and maybe you can elighten me why when FOREIGN coaches talk about the wings (the very same term employed by football FAN Odua herein), they are not perceived to have "the outside right and outside left mindset"?!
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Chukwu May Adopt Westerhof's Style

Post by maceo4 »

Does CCC know that Westerhof coached over 10 years ago????
The Observer wrote:By Uzor Odigbo, ThisDay Sports of January 23, 2004

A close confidant of the Super Eagles coach and former deputy chairman of Anambra State football Association Chief Isidora Odua has said that Christian Chukwu may adopt the playing style of his former boss Clemens Westerhof to achieve victory at the Nations Cup.

Odua, who spoke in Lagos yesterday, assured that Nigerians would again witness Eagles fast wing play as opposed to central attacking pattern of play.

He stressed that strikers like Yakubu Aiyegbeni and John Utaka may be drafted to the wings with Nwankwo Kanu and Julius Aghahowa playing the central striking roles, just the way Westerhof used George Finidi and the duo of Emmanuel Amuneke and Daniel Amokachi to run the wings and provide crosses for Rashid Yekini.

Odua noted that to put under pressure teams such as Cameroon and Senegal, a good coach would need accurate and fast attackers who would not waste opportunities.

The former Athletic Federation of Nigeria (AFN) board member, predicted that the Super Eagles have an edge, but only on past performance which he said, still frightens other teams in the competition.

"If Chukwu can introduce Westerhof's intimidating posture such as shouting at referees against poor officiating and players that are not playing their role well when a match is in progress, he will make progress, if not, he should forget adopting his playing style and I told him this," Odua said.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Cyber Saint

Post by Cyber Saint »

furiously frank wrote:So Ayo was right afterall when he said most home based coach/players still have the outside right and outside left wingers mindset!

What is not true however, with this news story is that Westerhoff never used a winger in Tunis '94, until the final when he pulled in Amunike as a joker against Zambia and it paid off. Before then Naija press were all calling us wingless eagles. Finidi was the closest we have to a winger and he was playing so deep that you won't even think of him as a pure winger. The truth is we never had 2 wingers at any of the matches, this account for the many goals scored from the center Rashidi Yekini and the goals from Ben Iroha (against CIV) who came all the way from the back with a one touch pass with Oliseh....
The worst thing about this forum is niggaz that know NOTHING about soccer coming in here to yarn dust and blow hot air.
So CW "never used wingers" until Amuneke, eh?
What about Friday Elaho???

Half education is dangerous, indeed
mystic

Post by mystic »

Gotti, abeg tell them. What do the opinions of a purported close friend of Chukwu have to do with anything?
furiously frank
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by furiously frank »

Gotti wrote:
FRANK:
The person who made these reported remarks is neither a coach nor a player....and maybe you can elighten me why when FOREIGN coaches talk about the wings (the very same term employed by football FAN Odua herein), they are not perceived to have "the outside right and outside left mindset"?!
Isidore Odua is an ex-Green Eagle player and a contemporary of many of Naija present day coaches
realplayer
Egg
Egg

Post by realplayer »

If CCC likes, let him use a system invented in the 19 century or Onigbinde's(worst ever Nigeria coach) tacklessness. I will not hold anything against him as long as the players win and the Cup comes to Nigeria.

I will prefare that, than to come with the latest invention and formation and lose!

It's a tough job out there and the guys need all the encouragement and prayers to bring the cup home after 10 years!

Wish them the very best.
Talent can only blossom with hard work!
omotori
Egg
Egg

Post by omotori »

realplayer wrote:As long as our attackers come back to assist in the midfield and defence,(mass defence) we will win the ANC.
If there was only one thing I could tell CCC, this is it.
Ziontrain
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Ziontrain »

Wing play is definitely the way to go but at the same time its not a position that just anybody can play, at least if you plan on keeping a solid team shape.

Finidi/Ammuike was succesful becuase they were both real pros - extremely willing and able to play defense. Even more important they were wingers with possession sense - they didn't committ many turnovers in the course of dribbling - ie they didn't lose the ball and leave wide open chances going the other way for the opponent.

If we play two wingers they need to be willing and able to do the same. Not an easy job definition - it requires two real pros out there wide + subs over course of the tournament. I don't know if we have that: Utaka and Ikedia for example, are just blatant defensive liabilities.
"Jose Mourinho favoured directness and used to throw Robert Huth or John Terry up front when Chelsea were chasing the game, a ploy associated with the industrial era of English football management."
- The Guardian UK, November 26, 2007
Gotti

Post by Gotti »

furiously frank wrote:Isidore Odua is an ex-Green Eagle player and a contemporary of many of Naija present day coaches
FRANK:
Without prejudice, I believe that you are confusing Isidore Odua with the respected Victor Oduah. The only football that our friend Isidore appears to have played is of the Alaba Market variety.