African Footballer of the Year decision postponed

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Vincent.
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Vincent. »

Its a Goal wrote:What a joke, though let us hold back a bit. There is no link to that report and neither has bbc reported it.

Here is the link from Reuters:

http://sports.yahoo.com/sow/news?slug=r ... &type=lgns
Its a Goal
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Its a Goal »

[color=brown]Guv007[/color] wrote:African Footballer of the Year award became a joke when Diouf won it twice in a row.
For me, it became a joke when CAF reversed the decision to hand the AFY award to Kuffour and instead gave it to El Dive even though it was revealed Kuffour did actually win, 2 years ago.
2 of the finest indigenous coaches Nigeria ever had lost in a space of 4 days. Dear Lord, is this a sign that you are taking away from us what we failed to appreciate? I pray for forgiveness of our sins. I pray for the humility to recognize our wrongs and the humbleness and wisdom to right our ways.

REST IN PEACE COACH STEPHEN KESHI!!! REST IN PEACE COACH AMODU SHAIBU!!!
Its a Goal
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Its a Goal »

[color=brown]Vincent[/color]. wrote:
[color=brown]Its a Goal[/color] wrote:What a joke, though let us hold back a bit. There is no link to that report and neither has bbc reported it.

Here is the link from Reuters:

http://sports.yahoo.com/sow/news?slug=r ... &type=lgns
Thanks, but I am still holding back from believing it. You know how stories break and gets counteracted also immediately in Africa.
2 of the finest indigenous coaches Nigeria ever had lost in a space of 4 days. Dear Lord, is this a sign that you are taking away from us what we failed to appreciate? I pray for forgiveness of our sins. I pray for the humility to recognize our wrongs and the humbleness and wisdom to right our ways.

REST IN PEACE COACH STEPHEN KESHI!!! REST IN PEACE COACH AMODU SHAIBU!!!
Wiseman
Egg
Egg

Post by Wiseman »

What a continent!
Give me the Super Eagles, and I will rule the world
mlkama
Egg
Egg

Post by mlkama »

Tension go kill some people for here....
Waffiman wrote: PS: Milla couldn't hold a candle to Manga Onguene or Theophile "Docteur" Abega .
sunshinestar
Egg
Egg

Post by sunshinestar »

I 8 this!!!
daddyrich
Egg
Egg

Post by daddyrich »

Maybe Abedi should have ran against Hayatou not Adamu :idea:
Baxter Onigbinde's second coming is the most disingenious stint ever in Nigerian coaching history.
cybersoccerfan
Egg
Egg

Post by cybersoccerfan »

This is pretty bad for the reputation of the game in Africa. Maybe it will be better if the award was not organized by CAF. The European version isn't right?
Rogermilla
Egg
Egg

Post by Rogermilla »

You guys should get over this nonsence. As much as I don't support the fact that the results are being announced in April, but the venue had been chosen even before the top five candidates were announced. Wasn't it the same last year when Diouf was announced as the APOY late March in Johannesburg. Like Mbappe said, the votes had been cast already. I feel the results should have even come out late December or early this month and the award ceremony takes place in April. But again this is Africa where anything can happen. Jay Jay or Eto or Drogba is capable of winning it whether is held in Mars. :o
"History shows that this club has had very few strikers like him. I do not know if there has ever been anyone like him before. What I do know is that Barcelona should erect a statue for him. Samuel was a fundamental player here in recent years and was key to all of the titles that the team won."

Andres Iniesta, August 2009
Rogermilla
Egg
Egg

Post by Rogermilla »

khalela wrote:Wait oh! Why does the sponsor want it in Cameroon.Is there anything that Cameroon will offer when the winner is announced that the other country can not offer.Why were we then not informed ahead of time.
And how can APOY 2003 be announced so far in 2004.Does that mean that they want to take into account what happens in 2004.
Little wonder the rest of the world can not respect us when such blatant daylight robberies can happen and we will all roll over and play possum.
It was announced when the shortlist of contestants were announced. I remember posting it here. But that is not the issue IMO. My main beef is why wait so late in April to announce the winner. Why not late December of that year (2003) or early January the following year(2004). As for the venue, it has nothing to do with who wins it or not. Jay Jay can still win it in Cameroon, so as Drogba. Remember Diouf's award was announced in Johanesburg, why did we not cry foul as well. It is just coincidental that one of the top contestants is a Cameroonian and that is why people talk of all kinds of conspiracy. This is an open race and anyone who wins the award, deserves it IMO as they have all done well in 2003.
"History shows that this club has had very few strikers like him. I do not know if there has ever been anyone like him before. What I do know is that Barcelona should erect a statue for him. Samuel was a fundamental player here in recent years and was key to all of the titles that the team won."

Andres Iniesta, August 2009
anikulapo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anikulapo »

This stinks to high heavens of a conspiracy and I cant believe our useless officials are not doing anything about it
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.....

"“There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but he must take it because conscience tells him it is right.”

MLK.
shaq
Egg
Egg

Post by shaq »

anik, I think our officials (sadly I may add) are part of the problem
Dodo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dodo »

i smeel rotten eggs mixed with beans
anointed
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anointed »

I'm surprised at the surprises on this site.

In fact, I was srprised when I heard that the APOY was going to be awarded today. This is cos I had already heard quite long ago that the award will be in Cameroun and I posted many times here adducing personally that since the award will be Cam, it'd most likely go to Eto.

Honestly, I don't know what this hulaballoo is all about.

BTW, Diouf's award was somewhere around April too.

Nonetheless, JJ has my full vote for the title.
TOUCH NOT MY ANOINTED...
For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding...hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe
anointed
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anointed »

Pls, who know the email of Mark Gleeson.

I suggest we ask him to explain why JJ's inclusion is a surprise.
TOUCH NOT MY ANOINTED...
For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding...hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe
omonaija
Egg
Egg

Post by omonaija »

anointed wrote:Pls, who know the email of Mark Gleeson.

I suggest we ask him to explain why JJ's inclusion is a surprise.
This guy Mark Gleeson is the most whacked reporter to ever come out of Africa....this freeking guy is always against naija, posting bad comments here and there against naija. I have never read anything he said about nigeria that is really good and constructive. Abeg anybody get him number make I holla the mothafuker! damn :evil:
To God be the glory....New Year 2024! Seek him first and all other things shall be added!Thus saith the Lord!