Africans defiant over timing of Nations Cup

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Vincent.
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Vincent. »

By Brian Homewood

TUNIS, Jan 23 (Reuters) - The African Nations Cup will continue to be staged at the start of the year despite protests from European clubs forced to release players in the middle of their season.

Issa Hayatou, president of the African Football Confederation (CAF), said the timing of the competition had been changed in the past following requests from European clubs but said CAF should be allowed to make its own decisions.

He added that the weather would make it impossible to stage the contest in June or July, after the European club season.

"We have already given in to the European clubs before," Hayatou, sitting alongside FIFA president Sepp Blatter, told a media conference on the eve of the 2004 tournament.

"They should respect the decision we have made.

"There is very heavy rain in April and May and after that it is too hot to play. It would be impossible to hold the Nations Cup when they want us to."

Seventy-eight French-based players have been called up for three-week tournament, 29 from Belgian clubs and 23 are arriving from the English league.

Hayatou, re-elected for a fifth mandate as CAF president on Thursday, explained that, until the 1988 tournament in Morocco, the Nations Cup had been staged in March.

"At that time, we were invited by the French Federation to a meeting because their clubs supplied most of the (foreign-based) players.

"They asked us to move the tournament to January when they have a winter break, which we did. Now, for economic reasons, the European countries have shorter winter breaks and once again they are asking us to change the tournament to June."

Blatter added that FIFA would also consider holding the 2010 World Cup, to be staged in Africa, outside the traditional June-July dates to allow for the weather.

"We will have to take this possibility into account," he said.
toyin133
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Africans defiant over timing of Nations Cup

Post by toyin133 »

Vincent. wrote:Africans defiant over timing of Nations Cup
By Brian Homewood

TUNIS, Jan 23 (Reuters) - The African Nations Cup will continue to be staged at the start of the year despite protests from European clubs forced to release players in the middle of their season.

Issa Hayatou, president of the African Football Confederation (CAF), said the timing of the competition had been changed in the past following requests from European clubs but said CAF should be allowed to make its own decisions.

He added that the weather would make it impossible to stage the contest in June or July, after the European club season.

"We have already given in to the European clubs before," Hayatou, sitting alongside FIFA president Sepp Blatter, told a media conference on the eve of the 2004 tournament.

"They should respect the decision we have made.

"There is very heavy rain in April and May and after that it is too hot to play. It would be impossible to hold the Nations Cup when they want us to."

Seventy-eight French-based players have been called up for three-week tournament, 29 from Belgian clubs and 23 are arriving from the English league.

Hayatou, re-elected for a fifth mandate as CAF president on Thursday, explained that, until the 1988 tournament in Morocco, the Nations Cup had been staged in March.

"At that time, we were invited by the French Federation to a meeting because their clubs supplied most of the (foreign-based) players.

"They asked us to move the tournament to January when they have a winter break, which we did. Now, for economic reasons, the European countries have shorter winter breaks and once again they are asking us to change the tournament to June."

Blatter added that FIFA would also consider holding the 2010 World Cup, to be staged in Africa, outside the traditional June-July dates to allow for the weather.

"We will have to take this possibility into account," he said.

I smell wayo already.
"I hear Glenn Hoddle has found God. That must have been one hell of a pass." Jasper Carrott
"Mind you, football is not really about winning, or goals, or saves or supporters. It's about glory. It's about doing things in style, doing them with a flourish. It's
about going out to beat the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower
omotori
Egg
Egg

Post by omotori »

FIFA has to take another look at their scheduling because the clubs have a point. Lets not forget they are in the business of making money.

the preparation & camps is just a joke mainly because of the conflicts.

many people will stop taking ANC seriously if this issue is not resolved.
okjazz
Egg
Egg

Post by okjazz »

Hayatou's point about climate is mute.
The climate in Africa varies. In July it may be hot in West Africa but across East Africa the weather is cool. Then in January the climate in East Africa is hot.

In any case Africa stands to lose more if they do play hardball. Obafemi, Bartlett and Fortune have already turned down invitations. Many other arrive in camp late due to club commitments. I foresee a situation where more and more players refuse to show up especially if their contracts are due for renewal.
omotori
Egg
Egg

Post by omotori »

the other option is for African countries to start buiding dome stadiums to eliminate the rain factor in the summer.
Akure4Life
Egg
Egg

Post by Akure4Life »

okjazz wrote:Hayatou's point about climate is mute.
The climate in Africa varies. In July it may be hot in West Africa but across East Africa the weather is cool. Then in January the climate in East Africa is hot.

In any case Africa stands to lose more if they do play hardball. Obafemi, Bartlett and Fortune have already turned down invitations. Many other arrive in camp late due to club commitments. I foresee a situation where more and more players refuse to show up especially if their contracts are due for renewal.
In West and East Africa, it is very wet during July, so rule that out. It is cold in the southern part of African. North Africa would be too hot as that is their summer period.
Akure4Life

Ojota is my hood.
okjazz
Egg
Egg

Post by okjazz »

In West and East Africa, it is very wet during July, so rule that out. It is cold in the southern part of African. North Africa would be too hot as that is their summer period.
Akure4Life

Theres is no rain in East Africa in July. The rainy season is between April and May and again between October and November.

In July the conditions are perfect for outdoor sports. The temperature is usually at its lowest.
Enugu II

Post by Enugu II »

Okjazz & Omotori:

I wouldn't wannt you representing me in any negotiation. It appears that you are willing to give up the barn. In essence you only see the value in Europe's argument. Do you simply believe that CAF has no leverage?
Dodo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dodo »

omotori wrote:the other option is for African countries to start buiding dome stadiums to eliminate the rain factor in the summer.
U wan kill someone abi wetin, dont forget how hot it also gets when its not raining

The best thing would be to have a European winter break to coincide with the transfer window
okjazz
Egg
Egg

Post by okjazz »

Enugu II wrote:Okjazz & Omotori:

I wouldn't wannt you representing me in any negotiation. It appears that you are willing to give up the barn. In essence you only see the value in Europe's argument. Do you simply believe that CAF has no leverage?
Enugu II you have to know when to play hardball. In this case for CAF to play hardball will make it harder for African players to get contracts and the ANC will be devalued when players start boycotting.

CAF has no leverage. We have already seen with Obafemi that European teams have the capacity to armtwist African players into turning down invitations. I see what Inter Milan did as the beginning of a trend.

You have to remember that most African players do not have much leverage. Believe me if Okocha was not the heart and soul of Bolton, I have a feeling that Big Sam Allardyce would have threatened him by telling him that whether he played in ANC 2004 would determine his next contract. Okocha had leverage because Bolton actually need him. Shaunn Bartlett on the other hand had no leverage with Charlton. So he chose to skip the ANC.

Another thing, I don't understand the constant argument about Africans not being able to play in July Are some of you saying that nobody plays football in Africa throughout July ? Please help me understand this one. Last I checked most African leagues continue unabated throughout July.

If its too hot then schedule the games at night when its cooler. In any case most of the games at USA 94 were played at midday in the summer. In some cases the temperatures soared to the upper 90s (fahrenheit)
SITH
Egg
Egg

Post by SITH »

African countries should start building covered/retractable stadiums thats the way foward as I see it because if the tournament can be played in the summer period everyone stands to gain alot.
anikulapo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anikulapo »

The bottom line is that the money for soccer is founf in Europe. If CAF doesnt want to adjust their tournament in a way to benefit the European leagues then African players will suffer, as teams will start shying away from them...

I mean, it is only the African nations cup out of every other major continental tournament in the world that is played during the meat of the club season
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.....

"“There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but he must take it because conscience tells him it is right.”

MLK.
omonaija
Egg
Egg

Post by omonaija »

Abeg! make dem leave the tournament alone....I guess the only thing CAF should probably do is start the ANC early in january so that ANC is only played in january. I know German league will be on 2 or 3 weeks winter break, so does Italian and the French league. The only 2 leagues we will be having problems with will be the EPL & La liga which is always on during this time of the year.
To God be the glory....New Year 2024! Seek him first and all other things shall be added!Thus saith the Lord!
Enugu II

Post by Enugu II »

okjazz wrote:
Enugu II wrote:Okjazz & Omotori:

Enugu II you have to know when to play hardball. In this case for CAF to play hardball will make it harder for African players to get contracts and the ANC will be devalued when players start boycotting.

CAF has no leverage. We have already seen with Obafemi that European teams have the capacity to armtwist African players into turning down invitations. I see what Inter Milan did as the beginning of a trend.

You have to remember that most African players do not have much leverage. Believe me if Okocha was not the heart and soul of Bolton, I have a feeling that Big Sam Allardyce would have threatened him by telling him that whether he played in ANC 2004 would determine his next contract. Okocha had leverage because Bolton actually need him. Shaunn Bartlett on the other hand had no leverage with Charlton. So he chose to skip the ANC.

Another thing, I don't understand the constant argument about Africans not being able to play in July Are some of you saying that nobody plays football in Africa throughout July ? Please help me understand this one. Last I checked most African leagues continue unabated throughout July.

If its too hot then schedule the games at night when its cooler. In any case most of the games at USA 94 were played at midday in the summer. In some cases the temperatures soared to the upper 90s (fahrenheit)

Okjazz:

You lost me when you confirmed that in your opinion CAF has no leverage. For starters, the FIFA rule on this is a leverage for CAF. I can name others. Some are infact inbedded in the argument below.

The point is that you start by granting all the marbles to Europe and that IMO is a weak position to take. Consider CAF's position in that article. If you have, then ask yourself: "What if CAF goes to a June schedule for the ANC and a few years later Europe decides to extend its league into June, should CAF concede once again? I will like to have your answer on the above.

You ask about hardball, this is precisely the time to play hardball, my brother! If not, then when is the time? Do you realize that CAF moved the schedule of the ANC from March to January as demanded by Europe (specifically the French League). Years later, The French league cut into that January schedule WITHOUT ANY RESPECT for CAF and its schedule. Now, you are asking CAF to concede to organizations that have shown absolutely no respect for CAF and Africa, before and even now? You lost me, my brother.

Let me tell you that Obafemi is getting away with his move ONLY because the NFA has let him get away. If you are familiar with the Tevez case in Argentina you will realize that the NFA had the full authority to ask FIFA for Obafemi's suspension. In such a case would you think that someone else will like to play the Obafemi angle?

On whether clubs will sign African players: They will, make no mistake about it. Frankly, the clubs have no choice. They will always go for the best players who have economic value(African or not), if they do not, their rivals will. That sense of competition will ensure that clubs cannot avoid buying African players, my brother. It is a competitive business and not collusion-type business. The last time I checked, these same clubs were buying the African players at cut-rate prices. Please check out Charleroi (I believe) in Belgium that rebuilt with cut-rate players from Ivory Coast. So who doesn't want such value? Why ignore an Owen-like talent from Africa if you can buy him for $40,000 than to buy such an equivalent player in Europe for say $5 million. It is business, my brother.

The argument about season, is that you want your showcase tournament to be played during the best season. The fact that league football is played in Africa in June or July matters very little. That is the rainy season and thus not the best period for the showcase tournament. If you saw the LG Cup played in that period you will understand. Btw, Blatter is now considering moving the traditional date for WC to another month in 2010 for precisely that concern. Furthermore, Europe's leagues play even during the Winter, don't they? Have you asked why the European Nations Cup is not played in the middle of winter since league football takes place during that period? I hope that makes the argument about June much more understandable.
omotori
Egg
Egg

Post by omotori »

I think if any of us where in the position of a European club manager, its tough to have to let go of key players for 5 weeks. I can easily see why they find it so frustrating.

FIFA has to do something about the scheduling to create an "African Window" in December or January.

Also, FIFA could agree to schedule the ANC tournament in December.January or June/July depending on which African country is hosting it.

the other problem is the cycle. European clubs will wonder why Africa has the ANC every two years while the Euros have theirs evry four years.

Africa has a lot of options on this one especially since our players cannot be ignored anymore. But if it means more top players are not released, the ANC is compromised.
Enugu II

Post by Enugu II »

omotori wrote:I think if any of us where in the position of a European club manager, its tough to have to let go of key players for 5 weeks. I can easily see why they find it so frustrating.

FIFA has to do something about the scheduling to create an "African Window" in December or January.

Also, FIFA could agree to schedule the ANC tournament in December.January or June/July depending on which African country is hosting it.

the other problem is the cycle. European clubs will wonder why Africa has the ANC every two years while the Euros have theirs evry four years.

Africa has a lot of options on this one especially since our players cannot be ignored anymore. But if it means more top players are not released, the ANC is compromised.

Omotori:

It is very clear that the loss of that many players must be addressed. It could have ben worse if Ivory Coast was in this tournament.

I must say that either a lot of people on this site are unaware of the history of this struggle or are simply dancing around it. This struggle on scheduling did not start today and it has been addressed in some form or another and the stumbling block has been Europe's refusal to compromise and even in certain cases they have even reneged on earlier agreements. However, most of us choose to mention any of those in our postings.

In any case, Omotori, FIFA has already provided windows in the summer and January for international competitions. It is their in the initial FIFA harmonised calendar. This should protect the ANC schedule. However, the stumbling block has been the refusal of European clubs to : (1) scale back on league games, and (2) reduce the number of teams in their top division.

The two-year cycle sure is different from Europe's but why not? Copa in South America is two years by the way. There is no divine order requiring a four year cycle or the one year cycle for the European Champions League.